Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Closed Thread

Old 1 Sep 2012, 20:35 (Ref:3128470)   #51
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by picchiofan View Post
And based on what awesome legal forum minds would you base this lawsuit?

This isn't a hostile takeover. Panoz/Atherton have been trying to sell the series for 3 years now, they finally found a buyer.
You have to take a close look at what they control/own:

Nascar
Grand-Am (also pays for teams to show up and pays for JC's ride)
AMA
ISC (Daytona, Watkins and many other tracks)
Action Performance/Lionel (50% stake with Bruton Smith with the other half)

With looking at that they are the dominant controling power of motorsports within the United States and could easily stop anyone if they wanted too.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 20:45 (Ref:3128478)   #52
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
So, why does Porsche build a GTE spec car and a GTC spec one?

You would have had a *real* hard time following sports cars in the 90's.
I don't think its hard to follow i just think it looks stupid. GTC has been virtually invisible in the ALMs streams. I guess I never really noticed.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 20:48 (Ref:3128479)   #53
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
I don't think its hard to follow i just think it looks stupid. GTC has been virtually invisible in the ALMs streams. I guess I never really noticed.
You know nearly every manufacture builds GT3 and GT4 versions of their GTE car as well, right?
Old 1 Sep 2012, 20:52 (Ref:3128481)   #54
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
So, why does Porsche build a GTE spec car and a GTC spec one?
Because the GTC spec one (Cup spec) is raced all over the world in one-make championships.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 20:54 (Ref:3128483)   #55
Nick6
Racer

United States
Nick6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For what its worth nothing has been announced from either ALMS or GA.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 20:57 (Ref:3128484)   #56
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Because the GTC spec one (Cup spec) is raced all over the world in one-make championships.
And, indeed, in open championships.

Manufacturers like to sell race cars, too...

Chris
Old 1 Sep 2012, 20:57 (Ref:3128486)   #57
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
You know nearly every manufacture builds GT3 and GT4 versions of their GTE car as well, right?
Yes but they do not normally race each other. When is the last time an M3 GT2 raced its GT4 counterpart.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 20:59 (Ref:3128487)   #58
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick6 View Post
For what its worth nothing has been announced from either ALMS or GA.
Scott Atherton said it wasn't happening, which means it will...
Old 1 Sep 2012, 21:10 (Ref:3128494)   #59
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Yes but they do not normally race each other. When is the last time an M3 GT2 raced its GT4 counterpart.
Nurburgring 24hr.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 21:13 (Ref:3128496)   #60
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This sucks.

I have nothing else to say. I can't wait for the announcement. I want to just get this over with. I need to get to the ALMS race at Lime Rock.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 21:19 (Ref:3128504)   #61
Gil Abobeleira
Veteran

Gil Abobeleira should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DSC has further intake into this issue: http://www.dailysportscar.com/viewAr...nID=QKQSDN3ICN (free to view)
Old 1 Sep 2012, 21:23 (Ref:3128510)   #62
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If DPs are the top class, we riot.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 21:43 (Ref:3128535)   #63
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Abobeleira View Post
DSC has further intake into this issue: http://www.dailysportscar.com/viewAr...nID=QKQSDN3ICN (free to view)
Well that's a much more positive view!
Old 1 Sep 2012, 21:46 (Ref:3128540)   #64
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Indeed. We need details from the horse's mouth, otherwise I feel most of the views provided are conjecture based on the same theories that have been thrown around since 2009.

Chris
Old 1 Sep 2012, 21:47 (Ref:3128541)   #65
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Word is NASCAR has purchased IMSA... Which would explain their use of the word "regulatory framework."
Old 1 Sep 2012, 21:49 (Ref:3128544)   #66
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
I think this can be very good if IMSA/Grand Am merged under NASCAR's commercial interest.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 21:51 (Ref:3128545)   #67
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
I think this can be very good if IMSA/Grand Am merged under NASCAR's commercial interest.
Only if they run ACO/IMSA rules and they keep the race control from IMSA.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 21:52 (Ref:3128549)   #68
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith2424 View Post
Only if they run ACO/IMSA rules and they keep the race control from IMSA.
IMSA Race control? Today has shown it's just as garbage if not worse than Grand Am's.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 21:54 (Ref:3128551)   #69
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
ONE questionable call makes it garbage?! Come on!!
Old 1 Sep 2012, 21:55 (Ref:3128552)   #70
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
IMSA Race control? Today has shown it's just as garbage if not worse than Grand Am's.
Maybe but at least they probley won't let Chip get away with as much as his teams have this past year.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 21:58 (Ref:3128555)   #71
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
ONE questionable call makes it garbage?! Come on!!
15-20 minute yellows just like all year, and a questionable call. Grand Am has had 2-3 questionable calls all year, not much worse. I realise what you're feeling right now is similar to what the Crapwagon brigade was feeling in 2008, please don't take it out on me.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 22:06 (Ref:3128565)   #72
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speed up DPs(which was probably going to happen with turbos next year), Turn GT into a GTE type class, allow the silhouette cars from current GT into GX.

You guys are throwing a massive *****fit about losing the ACO prototypes. A real shame losing all 5 of them. And I hope no one blames Panoz for this. The ACO once again turning their back on one of the biggest markets they have to go race in Malaysia, Bahrain and China. Only so much he could do before exhausting his fortune, and if he got out before it really put a dent in it, then good for him.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 22:07 (Ref:3128566)   #73
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does the ACO/FIA have any say in this? Do they have to give approval?

If so and they give approval, that is a good sign for ALMS fans right?
Old 1 Sep 2012, 22:08 (Ref:3128567)   #74
Holt
Veteran

United States
Holt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There may be DPs at Le Mans soon
Old 1 Sep 2012, 22:08 (Ref:3128568)   #75
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I hope I am wrong, but I don’t see any way the France Empire is going to follow ACO rules. The Emperors don’t give up once ounce of control in any of their series to the drivers, the teams, the manufacturers, or the tracks (well, they own almost all the tracks.)

You can expect dumbed-down DPs, I mean, normal DPs, dumbed-down GTs like they have now, and GX, which, since it will be a GA class, will be born dumb.

If we are lucky, they won’t replace DPs with American DTM cars, but I’d bet the two will share the same chassis and engine formulae.

ACO/FIA is going to try to use WEC and F1 as its marketing moneymakers in the U.S., a saturated car market where no track or town is willing to pony up huge bucks just to run a race (our billionaires think they are so exceptional, bringing a prestigious race series is pointless; unlike say, Russia or Bahrain.)

North America will get a WEC round and three F1 GPs, NASACR and Grand Am running a lot of doubleheaders, and NASCAR will buy out IndyCar when Randy Bernard leaves because no one else will want the job and the Sisters will be older and tireder and will want to believe it when NASCAR claims it will respect the tradition of Indy.

Every form of domestic North American racing will feature spec machinery except SCCA and local drag strips and ovals.

WEC will get all the cool machinery we now associate with “sports car racing.” GA will continue to emphasize identical, low-tech cars which only change every five years, where manufacturer involvement is limited to sponsorship, signage, and unique grille stickers on cars from each “manufacturer (like the “Corvette DP,” which is either a riley, Coyote, or Dallara with a 5-kiter GM power plant—and not the slightest part of a Corvette except the name.)

NASCAR thrives on control, not innovation. NASCAR thrives on consistent product, and is totally willing to manufacturer “racing action” to keep people coming back (Green-white-yellow is coming to sports-car racing; the “Lucky Dog” was already tried once; it will be back.)

There will be No LMP-anythings. Learn to love Daytona Prototypes.

As for GT—right now Grand Am GT is 100 percent Balance of Performance. How else can a Mazda RX-8, a Corvette, and a Camaro all have an equal chance at winning (oh, well, because the two of the three are purpose-built tube-framed replicas, I guess.)

Grand Am will willingly accept any GT3 which is modified to GA specs—that is, slowed down and dumbed-down so as not to embarrass the DPs. Instead of factories having to build GTE versions to race in North America, they will sell GT3 kit cars and GA will sell twice-as-heavy roll cages and engine-underpowering kits to help privateers comply with the “slower is better” GA philosophy.

Factories which want to compete in the big league (WEC) will still have to build GTE machinery; this ensures that only factories big enough to pay huge entry fees will bother getting involved.

If you finds the idea of Daytona Prototypes at the Rolex offensive, think how much you are going to love seeing them at Sebring—lapping almost as fast as the Flying Lizards used to back in the Good Old Days when ALMS was around.
Screw the ACO. Like they ever gave a damn about the ALMS.
Closed Thread