Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Mar 2020, 16:58 (Ref:3967035)   #1021
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
May be you can start your investigations with Champ de Mars also said Champ de Foire. Beware, sometimes they put barriers to avoid other gypsies to de comparing in the area… In good local words, à ch'foire biloute!
Now you can try and explain what "biloute" means to MGD!
Old 26 Mar 2020, 17:02 (Ref:3967036)   #1022
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
May be you can start your investigations with Champ de Mars also said Champ de Foire. Beware, sometimes they put barriers to avoid other gypsies to de comparing in the area… In good local words, à ch'foire biloute!
Now you can try and explain what "biloute" means to MGD!
I've never driven there but I think there is a big parking somewhere near the two stations as I know a friend used to use it when he went to London on Eurostar.
Old 26 Mar 2020, 17:23 (Ref:3967042)   #1023
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Near the Citadelle, champ de foire, that's what you're looking for. Well, Biloute David does.
Old 26 Mar 2020, 18:01 (Ref:3967051)   #1024
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!
That's not very nice!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 26 Mar 2020, 18:21 (Ref:3967053)   #1025
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Two different meanings tho… Wouldn't dare say bad things about my -may be- future co-driver!
Old 26 Mar 2020, 19:11 (Ref:3967066)   #1026
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was talking to my neighbour across the road (literally, he lives across the road and we stood on out own side of it) this afternoon and he mentioned that on his way to work (He's a butcher running his own business) he came across a police check point that seemed to be querying the purpose of people's journeys. Driving a refrigerated van he was just waved through. However one does wonder what might happen in the next few weeks.

I'm surprised the police have the resources to run such checks.

His daughter's boyfriend is a Policeman he said.

Earlier this week he and other police were sent or a large recreational park area in a local city where the "self-isolating" populace were meeting up and partying. (Sort of).

The police were there to try to point out the error of idea and convince the people to make better decisions. I got the idea that the intention was as much to learn how the party people might respond to such an approach as it was to try to break up the "fun".

Apparently someone took exception to such advice and hit him in the face, breaking his spectacles.

There should really be a special place for such people given such clear evidence of a complete lack of brain activity.

But instead of that we release them from prison sentences lest they catch some illness on the basis of which their family sues for way more money than the sick person was ever worth to the society that supports them.
Old 26 Mar 2020, 21:54 (Ref:3967087)   #1027
MGDavid
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
That's not very nice!

s'alrightMax - it's just friendly banter.
If you spoke colloquial French like me you'd know that. Only kidding, isn't google wonderful
Old 27 Mar 2020, 05:38 (Ref:3967122)   #1028
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Ya no Max, Dave, he speaks french but with a tough parisian accent. Snobby!
I dont know if we can enter a car with "Biloute Dave" for driver… Must check!
Old 27 Mar 2020, 07:23 (Ref:3967127)   #1029
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!
I've been with MGD in France. He speaks the language like a native. A native of Berkshire

"No need to speak the lingo old boy, they all speak better English than you and I."

Sadly that's actually true. I first visited France in 1976, an exchange stay in Amiens, and i spoke 100% French. Since then every time I go back even in the most rural communities people quite happily lapse into English so I don't get to practice my rusty ramblings.

Last edited by midgetman; 27 Mar 2020 at 07:31.
Old 27 Mar 2020, 07:44 (Ref:3967129)   #1030
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I've been with MGD in France. He speaks the language like a native. A native of Berkshire

"No need to speak the lingo old boy, they all speak better English than you and I."

Sadly that's actually true. I first visited France in 1976, an exchange stay in Amiens, and i spoke 100% French. Since then every time I go back even in the most rural communities people quite happily lapse into English so I don't get to practice my rusty ramblings.

Yes, that's very true. Despite official efforts to stop it, more & more English is creeping in. Watching TV, it is surprising how many adverts are in English. We were in a very French restaurant by the big French war cemetery at Notre Dame, and the waitress on over-hearing I was English automatically translated everything on the menu to me without being asked.

Much of it is down to computers, as much of the 'language' by way of commands etc is in English. My partners son has learned very good English simply by being an ardent on-line gamer.

Whatever they say, we are taking over the world!
Old 27 Mar 2020, 07:57 (Ref:3967133)   #1031
Kylegibson
Rookie

England
God's County
Kylegibson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Found this while tidying up
Attached Thumbnails
Oulton Park.jpg  
Old 27 Mar 2020, 08:01 (Ref:3967136)   #1032
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Brilliant.
In the current circumstances, we need to do all we can to help local businesses. With this in mind I suggest we all schedule our visits to the pub so we can keep the 2m social distancing and whilst there get completely slamied for two hours before handing over to the next shift.

It probably won't stop the virus but nobody would care.
Old 27 Mar 2020, 08:02 (Ref:3967137)   #1033
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Two different meanings tho… Wouldn't dare say bad things about my -may be- future co-driver!
Well, now Michele's told me one meaning of 'bijoute' but she says she doesn't know a second.... She says it is a very friendly term but advised me not to use it if I get stopped by a gendarme when I go out! Actually the English equivalent is also a friendly term.

Are you fluent in Ch'ti, Gerard?
Old 27 Mar 2020, 08:16 (Ref:3967143)   #1034
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylegibson View Post
Found this while tidying up
Good old Brockbank!
Old 27 Mar 2020, 08:21 (Ref:3967145)   #1035
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Unfortunately not fluent in this very colored language, nice patois I'd say John. To go with you, MGD and Max, biloute has always been a nice word. To a stranger, biloute meant little something but quickly became a friendly word meaning you belong the appreciated people. Being a biloute is a must if you visit North of France! Quite different from "filoute" this one meaning little crook!