Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Apr 2010, 21:48 (Ref:2667355)   #26
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
yeah never mind lets hope its not too bad in there! there are no noises as i said.
Old 6 Apr 2010, 00:02 (Ref:2667387)   #27
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Bad luck, Al - I'd hoped to nip over to watch this meeting, but got laid low by a stomach bug........good pics and video, tho, guys......

We're not doing Cadwell until July, tho AROC have a discounted trackday deal this month - might have to go for a re-orientation......
Old 6 Apr 2010, 17:33 (Ref:2667774)   #28
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLIN STUBBS View Post
Real bad luck Al and I hope you get sorted without too much hassle and expense. Sounds like it must be oil pump trouble. Can you run the dam thing off the car and check it anyhow? When we raced Crapis we had similar trouble and made a jig thing with a oil feed and gauge so we could run it with a drill.

From my point of view it was a good race. Managed to make a demon start and run in 3rd overall for a couple of laps with a Cossy nagging at my arse until Ken Lark caught us up and I though it was safer to let em by...
Baby faced Assasin had a mega prang coming out of Charlies behind me which looked a bit scarey but luckilly he got away without too much damage..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE1IbxDxZ_A
Colin and Al, it was good to catch up with you both.

Colin, yours was a superb start and it was no disgrace being caught and passed by those two quicker cars. My head is not in a good place at the moment so I had my focus settings all wrong. Nevertheless, I think that it is worth posting a couple of pics of the 'prang' to which you refer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4446wb.jpg   IMG_4447wb.jpg  
Old 6 Apr 2010, 18:23 (Ref:2667813)   #29
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
And you John. Ouch that looked a bit hard, the baby Faced Assassin has been caught out! Hard luck Ryan hope you can put it right!
Old 8 Apr 2010, 09:23 (Ref:2668703)   #30
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A few pics:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3781wb.jpg   IMG_4004wb.jpg   IMG_4102wb.jpg  

IMG_4600wb.jpg   IMG_4941wb.jpg   IMG_5023wb.jpg  

Old 8 Apr 2010, 09:30 (Ref:2668706)   #31
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
And a few more:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5101wb.jpg   IMG_5113wb.jpg   IMG_5123wb.jpg  

IMG_5181wb.jpg   IMG_5208wb.jpg   IMG_5223wb.jpg  

Old 11 Apr 2010, 02:09 (Ref:2670382)   #32
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting photos there, quite a few cars we don't see. We had a Warsteiner Grp A M3 racing at Phillip Island a month ago, also interesting to see the V8Supercar, only 10yo - is that young for a classic? Then again where else would you race it I suppose. Can anyone tell me about the Chrysler Alpine, that looks pretty wild.

ps bad luck Al, hope you get the car back on track quickly
Old 11 Apr 2010, 06:20 (Ref:2670417)   #33
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Thanks Jonn, I will have the engine out today and hopefully get to the bottom of the problem. I assume you are talking about Joss Ronchetti's Sunbeam Lotus we call them over here and indeed it is an awesome bit of kit with its 2600(+?)cc multivalve Lotus engine. The Classic Thunder/Boss Ford Championships allows cars up to 2004 in the Classic Thunder segment and any year in the Fords I believe. Andy's Aussie Falcon is an fantastic car but he was beset with problems all weekend but it showed fantastic potential, look out for it at the next round at Silverstone where I predict if running right it will win.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 05:43 (Ref:2671220)   #34
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers Al, & oops I got the name wrong - Sunbeam not Alpine, you can see how the mistake popped in! I should have known that though, there is one locally I have seen a few times (yet to organise a ride though!) and also a Ti from memory, but they were never imported here. Wasn't sure if it was a Lotus version, but seems a big Lotus engine. Had a little look at the CTCRC site, will have a look at the regs. The Falcon has also a decently large engine in it, why run a 5L engine if you don't have too!
Old 12 Apr 2010, 06:28 (Ref:2671233)   #35
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yes the Falcon does not have the original spec engine and has a low revving high torque unit fitted as I understand it, this was fitted before Andy bought it. Joss has developed the Sunbeam over a number of years with help from the Seaman Brothers (one of them an ex-Aussie Touring car race engineer coincidently) and the car is seriously quick and it is definitely a stretched Lotus unit fitted.

BTW I have pulled my engine apart and the bearings have picked up and I suspect the pressure release valve in the pump was holding open as well. Never mind it could be worse and I will get away with a 10 thou clean up and new bearings and pump and will have it up and running in no time and am going down the machine shop right now!
Old 12 Apr 2010, 08:35 (Ref:2671269)   #36
BILTEL
Racer

England
Brackley, centre of the Earth
BILTEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Yes the Falcon does not have the original spec engine and has a low revving high torque unit fitted as I understand it, this was fitted before Andy bought it. Joss has developed the Sunbeam over a number of years with help from the Seaman Brothers (one of them an ex-Aussie Touring car race engineer coincidently) and the car is seriously quick and it is definitely a stretched Lotus unit fitted.

BTW I have pulled my engine apart and the bearings have picked up and I suspect the pressure release valve in the pump was holding open as well. Never mind it could be worse and I will get away with a 10 thou clean up and new bearings and pump and will have it up and running in no time and am going down the machine shop right now!

Fair play to you Al. You must be sick to death of the troubles you have. Why has it picked up though.
ex Starion #20
Now building BMW 535i
for the 360, CTCRC Pre 93's
Old 12 Apr 2010, 12:16 (Ref:2671363)   #37
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Not sure to be honest, i did have the crank polished last time and was told by the machinist it checked out OK but had my doubts, I am getting it ground now. Also I have had an ongoing oil cooler remote filter set up on this car from day one when it was built for me and I suspect the filter was not filtering correctly as it was the wrong head and also not happy with the take off plate and amount of 90 degree bends, I found out it was incorrect and have now chucked the lot off and am going back to basics with a modified GM oil cooler plate used as a take off to the Accusump and no cooler. I know for a fact this will improve things as altered it before the final loss of pressure as the presure was down in the 35-50 mark and it immediately gained 25psi unfortunately I think the damage may already have been done. It could be worse though, the rods and block are fine and it just needs a clean up on the crank and I havent even stripped the heads off as I can drop the crank back in with all the rods and pistons insitu so it will be up and running in no time.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 16:19 (Ref:2671491)   #38
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Just looking through and some fantastic shots by medius and the great JT!!

Is that 'Sarnie's modprod 3.1 Capri back out there again? Marvellous!

I agree with Al, Ronchetti's Sunbeam looks mega, I bet it is super quick. The last time I saw him out in a car like that was probably over 10 years ago. Looks like it's grown a few horns since then.

Pardon my ignorance but is that DTM liveried M3 a 'real one'?
Old 12 Apr 2010, 18:31 (Ref:2671576)   #39
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yes thats Sarnies car, he suffered an engine failure unfortunately but was right back in the groove and going well, hopefully he will be back for more. No the Bimmer is not an ex DTM car which wouldnt be elligible for the regs I believe as its a Pre-93 racer which is more like Group 1.5 than Group A. The Rover of Tim Scott Andrews I believe is the real McCoy.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 14:08 (Ref:2672016)   #40
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's taken me a while but here are a few photos from this meeting. Including a rare view of Al Weyman!
Attached Thumbnails
cad-ctcrc-1.JPG   cad-ctcrc-2.JPG   cad-ctcrc-3.JPG  

cad-ctcrc-4.JPG   cad-ctcrc-5.JPG   cad-ctcrc-6.JPG  

Old 13 Apr 2010, 14:17 (Ref:2672024)   #41
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Wahey!!!!!!

Al, look at that!!
Old 13 Apr 2010, 14:22 (Ref:2672031)   #42
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Six more here.
Attached Thumbnails
cad-ctcrc-7.JPG   cad-ctcrc-8.JPG   cad-ctcrc-9.JPG  

cad-ctcrc=10.JPG   cad-ctcrc-11.JPG   cad-ctcrc-12.JPG  

Old 13 Apr 2010, 19:06 (Ref:2672218)   #43
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yeah mean shot that Paddy thanks for posting.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 20:25 (Ref:2672274)   #44
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Yeah mean shot that Paddy thanks for posting.
No problem Al. I hope I get chance to get some more later in the season. Best of luck with the engine.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 20:27 (Ref:2672276)   #45
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Thanks, I have entered the other one at the next round at Silverstone, she seems to be holding together oK at the moment!
Old 13 Apr 2010, 20:56 (Ref:2672297)   #46
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
It's taken me a while but here are a few photos from this meeting. Including a rare view of Al Weyman!
spot on, nice on centurion!

good to see the Rootes warrior looking so good after it was unecessarily twatted last summer as well ( the orange thing, not the big black lego Al-mobile!)

also noted, Mr Sprigg hasn't worked out how to drive in a straight line yet
Old 13 Apr 2010, 21:22 (Ref:2672317)   #47
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Hey mines a GM not a ruddy Rootes (Mopar!!)
Old 14 Apr 2010, 08:42 (Ref:2672521)   #48
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
One final selection.
Attached Thumbnails
cad-ctcrc-13.JPG   cad-ctcrc-14.JPG   cad-ctcrc-15.JPG  

cad-ctcrc-16.JPG   cad-ctcrc-17.JPG   cad-ctcrc-18.JPG  

Old 14 Apr 2010, 09:27 (Ref:2672533)   #49
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Thanks Paddy, sadly Colin Stubbs's Rover is not looking quite so pristine now after being battered on the start line in a TinTops race at Snetterton the following weekend.
Old 14 Apr 2010, 09:32 (Ref:2672537)   #50
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
That's bad news, Al; hope Colin is OK.