Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Sep 2018, 23:33 (Ref:3848410)   #3226
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Close...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q
Old 9 Sep 2018, 04:15 (Ref:3848983)   #3227
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
So according to M. Todt, F1 will "never" go fully-electric for its power units.

If that's the case, I feel positive about it personally. Does make me wonder why they went down the hybrid path of "road car relevance" though. If they're never going to be electric, maybe some high-end ICE tech would serve the sport better and maybe, just maybe develop some technologies that could be used in the mainstream automotive world - possibly some new fuel types that are more sustainable or something like that?
Old 9 Sep 2018, 07:16 (Ref:3848998)   #3228
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I'm glad this is happening, leave electric to Formula E
Old 9 Sep 2018, 07:54 (Ref:3849000)   #3229
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So can we put V8/V10/V12s back in now that we're not pretending they are road relevant?
Old 9 Sep 2018, 08:55 (Ref:3849004)   #3230
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
So can we put V8/V10/V12s back in now that we're not pretending they are road relevant?
Please!
Old 9 Sep 2018, 11:18 (Ref:3849017)   #3231
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Hybrid engines are road relevant, electric drivetrains are not.
Old 9 Sep 2018, 12:24 (Ref:3849028)   #3232
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Got my vote!
Old 10 Sep 2018, 00:29 (Ref:3849120)   #3233
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
Hybrid engines are road relevant, electric drivetrains are not.
Hybrid vehicles, a cynical cash cow for manufacturers in road vehicles, a cynical cash cow for manufacturers in F1?
Old 10 Sep 2018, 10:52 (Ref:3849165)   #3234
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
So according to M. Todt, F1 will "never" go fully-electric for its power units.
F1 will do whatever the manufacturer teams want it to do and Todt will have no say just as he has no say now.....do it our way or we are out of here. From all reports that is exactly what has happened and the PU will be a far cry from what was originally intended for '21. There is no fool like an old fool.
Old 10 Sep 2018, 15:38 (Ref:3849214)   #3235
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
he does raise an interesting distinction though...

"FE has not the performance of F1," added Todt.

"At the moment one of the reasons FE is hosted in cities is because it would not create any interest to have FE on a circuit like Monza, for example. We are talking about two different categories.

i cant say i have thought about this way before. in the past i would have said that FE has this advantage because it can bring racing into cites and to the people in a way that F1 cant really do anymore in western cities.

but are the audiences so different that the typical FE fan has no interest in going to a bespoke racing circuit?

i get for the time being that circuits are, at this stage of development, to long and require a longer battery than FE can currently provide..so right now there is performance/technical differentiation. so for sure there is a calendar issue that will prevent F1 going full electric.

but i also suspect that JT is misunderstanding the audience, the manus desire to connect with that audience, and just how quickly things are changing.
Old 10 Sep 2018, 17:00 (Ref:3849229)   #3236
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
he does raise an interesting distinction though...

"FE has not the performance of F1," added Todt.

"At the moment one of the reasons FE is hosted in cities is because it would not create any interest to have FE on a circuit like Monza, for example. We are talking about two different categories.

i cant say i have thought about this way before. in the past i would have said that FE has this advantage because it can bring racing into cites and to the people in a way that F1 cant really do anymore in western cities.

but are the audiences so different that the typical FE fan has no interest in going to a bespoke racing circuit?

i get for the time being that circuits are, at this stage of development, to long and require a longer battery than FE can currently provide..so right now there is performance/technical differentiation. so for sure there is a calendar issue that will prevent F1 going full electric.

but i also suspect that JT is misunderstanding the audience, the manus desire to connect with that audience, and just how quickly things are changing.
I would expect his point, however butchered it might be, is that Formula E running at say Monza or Silverstone would not be interesting simply because the cars haven't been designed to race very quickly over long distances. When they ran the Gen 1 car tests at Donington, there were chicanes placed at suitable points to give the cars the ability to regenerate - they're just not ready, even in the new generation cars, for long full power runs on 'classic' circuits.

They'd be comparatively slow, they'd look slow, and they just wouldn't hold the interest of the spectators whether they're traditional F1 fans or new FE fans.

They'll get there, but it'll be a long time before they could race 53 laps of Monza in around 90 minutes like the F1 cars do now.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 15:21 (Ref:3849418)   #3237
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
no doubt i am underestimating the speed difference between the two categories so there is that. and indeed, just from those snippets of quotes, i probably took another meaning from his comments then the one he intended.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 13:10 (Ref:3849618)   #3238
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Today the diference is obvious, tomorrow not so sure. I see no problem in Formula E taking the crown, but we will have to wait a couple of decades.

F1 are hybrids not just because of publicity, but I believe a hybrid can actually make the diference in performance. Better lighter batteries, more precisely controllable electric motors. When you equip a car with brute force engine, you have done nothing.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 17:11 (Ref:3849671)   #3239
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasperG View Post
....When you equip a car with brute force engine, you have done nothing.
Except excite quite a few motor racing fans.......
Old 12 Sep 2018, 18:28 (Ref:3849689)   #3240
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Speed will always be exciting...
Old 12 Sep 2018, 19:07 (Ref:3849699)   #3241
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

I'm pretty excited by the fact that since 2017 we actually have fast F1 cars again, even if only in qualifying.
Old 13 Sep 2018, 17:26 (Ref:3849914)   #3242
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ross Brawn has presented today in Singapore the concept in which they are working for the 2021 cars of Formula 1, which will receive a big change at the power unit level, with a simplification of the hybrid technology, and also, they will have a change Aspect.

https://www.thebestf1.es/liberty-med...ormula-1-2021/
Old 13 Sep 2018, 18:36 (Ref:3849926)   #3243
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What Mercedes wants, F1 gets.
Old 13 Sep 2018, 19:08 (Ref:3849932)   #3244
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought it was what Ferrari wants?
Old 13 Sep 2018, 20:37 (Ref:3849945)   #3245
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Article in Autosport too. Neither article says much about the engines other than they'll be simpler hybrid units.

The visual concept is different - not sure what I think about it TBH and no doubt what goes on the track in 2021 won't look exactly the same in any case. Looks kinda like an Indycar and a FE car got together for a dirty weekend.
Old 13 Sep 2018, 21:01 (Ref:3849951)   #3246
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I thought it was what Ferrari wants?
Depends on if you subscribe to the Ferrari or Mercedes conspiracy bandwagon?

One day, maybe, people will accept that the best team / driver wins, and applaude the victory as a sporting achievement.
Old 14 Sep 2018, 00:11 (Ref:3849973)   #3247
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was not even about just them winning, but about the tremendous amount of lobbying and backstage politics Mercedes did to pull the proverbial blanket towards them in terms of engine design. They're a cancer in F1.
Old 14 Sep 2018, 03:11 (Ref:3849988)   #3248
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
It was not even about just them winning, but about the tremendous amount of lobbying and backstage politics Mercedes did to pull the proverbial blanket towards them in terms of engine design. They're a cancer in F1.
Precisely.
Old 14 Sep 2018, 03:26 (Ref:3849993)   #3249
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What they did was get working on with the new engine regs before anyone else. They were prepared.
Ferrari did as much “lobbying”. One thing they got was to make it a V6 rather than a 4 cylinder.
Old 14 Sep 2018, 05:57 (Ref:3850008)   #3250
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
What they did was get working on with the new engine regs before anyone else. They were prepared.
Ferrari did as much “lobbying”. One thing they got was to make it a V6 rather than a 4 cylinder.
Yep and I bet MB are already working on the new motor/pu. Just because they are better and more prepared only makes the others look like dills trying to catch up. Ferrari might get around to thinking about it in 2020...maybe, though I think they have lifted their thinking and worked out that proper R&D is not such a bad thing.