Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 23 Aug 2018, 20:34 (Ref:3845637)   #1726
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Something from CCW this week that appears to be a well kept secret (well it was to me!), is that UK ‘black’ non reflective number plates are now legal on any tax exempt car, not just up to end of 1972 production. So up to 1978 at the moment. Seems the law changed in 2015, but very quietly.....

So does that mean you could put some on your Beemer?
Old 24 Aug 2018, 00:42 (Ref:3845673)   #1727
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

David- expand on your question, please!
When government gives something away there's almost always a big sting in the tail. The recent concessions on no MOT and zero VED for Historic vehicles together with the moving date for the classification (now up to 1978) make me and others very suspicious that there will be some sort of curtailment of use legislation round the corner.
I've heard that Germany does similar for their Oldtimer classification and would like to know the details of the restrictions and how they're implemented, eg days, mileage or whatever.
Old 24 Aug 2018, 03:48 (Ref:3845685)   #1728
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
When government gives something away there's almost always a big sting in the tail. The recent concessions on no MOT and zero VED for Historic vehicles together with the moving date for the classification (now up to 1978) make me and others very suspicious that there will be some sort of curtailment of use legislation round the corner.
I've heard that Germany does similar for their Oldtimer classification and would like to know the details of the restrictions and how they're implemented, eg days, mileage or whatever.

The curtailment will come when they work out that the only economic way to run electric cars is by using total autonomy and that will only be safe when there are no human driven or ridden vehicles to compete with for "road" space.

Not that they care about that but they will, by then, be desperate to improve "public safety and security" in any way they can and knowing and where they are heading where 99% of the population are nearly all of the time will be a key facet of the drive for control that fully tracked transport will enable.

IMO.
Old 24 Aug 2018, 04:56 (Ref:3845688)   #1729
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
So does that mean you could put some on your Beemer?
My Bad- Historic class tax exempt vehicles...…
Old 24 Aug 2018, 07:34 (Ref:3845698)   #1730
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
The curtailment will come when they work out that the only economic way to run electric cars is by using total autonomy and that will only be safe when there are no human driven or ridden vehicles to compete with for "road" space.

Not that they care about that but they will, by then, be desperate to improve "public safety and security" in any way they can and knowing and where they are heading where 99% of the population are nearly all of the time will be a key facet of the drive for control that fully tracked transport will enable.

IMO.
I don't know about improving security - the jihadis must be quite excited at the prospect of driverless vehicles...
Old 24 Aug 2018, 07:36 (Ref:3845699)   #1731
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gerard, have you ever been to Autobrocante at Loheac - it always looks interesting & every yeqr I think I should go but never have. Just a bit too far for a day trip.
Old 24 Aug 2018, 08:43 (Ref:3845707)   #1732
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Sure, from your actual location to Lohéac (not far from Rennes, 35) is not a comfortable if you're considering a one day trip. If the brocante is still related with Michel Hommell cars collection, small race track and magazines, I think it is worth. May be you can plane a visit to Britany or some part of Normandy?

Just checked for you, they have a partnership with Renault Classique with live demos on the track.(6 and 7 of October).http://www.manoir-automobile.fr/auto...val-de-loheac/

Last edited by Gerard C; 24 Aug 2018 at 08:48.
Old 24 Aug 2018, 09:37 (Ref:3845717)   #1733
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Sure, from your actual location to Lohéac (not far from Rennes, 35) is not a comfortable if you're considering a one day trip. If the brocante is still related with Michel Hommell cars collection, small race track and magazines, I think it is worth. May be you can plane a visit to Britany or some part of Normandy?

Just checked for you, they have a partnership with Renault Classique with live demos on the track.(6 and 7 of October).http://www.manoir-automobile.fr/auto...val-de-loheac/
Yes, I knew about the Renault Classique involvement, which makes it interesting - just a very crowded time in the calendar.

I see the GP Historique de France is set to happen again at Magny Cours next June, date TBC.
Old 24 Aug 2018, 15:18 (Ref:3845803)   #1734
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I see the GP Historique de France is set to happen again at Magny Cours next June, date TBC.
Yes John, but I think its not the proper moment to make any comment about that because the first edition was made with a lot of help of English clubs… I tried to have more info about the supporting grids, but got no answer at the moment. May be they are waiting for Rétromobile to make some announcement.
Old 24 Aug 2018, 15:32 (Ref:3845812)   #1735
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
My Bad- Historic class tax exempt vehicles...…

Ah. Shame.

I've seen a few non-Historic class exotics with old style plates (modernised) from time to time. Seems odd. Perhaps they were re-bodied based on older cars?
Old 25 Aug 2018, 09:12 (Ref:3845940)   #1736
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
JD Classics

I saw this today and wondered if it's new news or old hat although either way I can't say I'm surprised. https://news.sky.com/story/classic-c...probe-11480930
Old 25 Aug 2018, 09:54 (Ref:3845948)   #1737
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Do you think there is a relationship with that https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...sted-claiming/
Date is 19 March 2018.
Old 25 Aug 2018, 09:59 (Ref:3845949)   #1738
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I saw this today and wondered if it's new news or old hat although either way I can't say I'm surprised. https://news.sky.com/story/classic-c...probe-11480930

Which may explain why the JD cars have been missing from the grids for a little while.
Old 25 Aug 2018, 10:04 (Ref:3845951)   #1739
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Do you think there is a relationship with that https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...sted-claiming/
Date is 19 March 2018.

Yes, and possibly some more is being investigated. And, it would appear, why Derek Hood (the founder) was asked to step down from the company. The judge was very unhappy with his testimony in that trial.
Old 25 Aug 2018, 10:31 (Ref:3845956)   #1740
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
It seems Derek Hood started out as a dentist so he's gone from one rip-off trade to another.
Old 25 Aug 2018, 12:26 (Ref:3845978)   #1741
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
From what I’ve been told, all l that stuff is fact, I’m afraid. Not a happy scenario, and we miss out on seeing some lovely cars on circuit. JDC also had some sort of contract or agreement with Jaguar to prepare and run their Heritage Fleet race cars, so guess that’s gone askew as well.....
Old 25 Aug 2018, 12:44 (Ref:3845985)   #1742
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
My bet is that this type of company or business can survive almost anything, scandal or not. Its not only a matter of one man. Probably they will be supported by important investment company so hopefully the Jaguar Heritage fleet won't be let alone. At least I hope.
Lets see what happens to the E Type scrutineered during last TA…
Old 25 Aug 2018, 13:04 (Ref:3845989)   #1743
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Essex car dealer" What more can you say!!
Old 25 Aug 2018, 13:40 (Ref:3845992)   #1744
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn Slater View Post
quite!
Old 25 Aug 2018, 15:04 (Ref:3846000)   #1745
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
My bet is that this type of company or business can survive almost anything, scandal or not. Its not only a matter of one man. Probably they will be supported by important investment company so hopefully the Jaguar Heritage fleet won't be let alone…
I would guess Jag will take their cars back in house if needed. Yes, there are some big investors involved, all now wondering how much they are going to lose....

Looking well into the future, hopefully some of the cars we’ve seen racing under the JDC banner up till now will get sold, and appear on circuits again with owner drivers rather than pros....
Old 25 Aug 2018, 15:48 (Ref:3846014)   #1746
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Meaning that some Cobra drivers/owners can now sleep quietly…
Old 25 Aug 2018, 16:10 (Ref:3846016)   #1747
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Meaning that some Cobra drivers/owners can now sleep quietly…
The Jag fleet includes such cars as XKs, C Types, and D Types- not just Es!
Old 25 Aug 2018, 18:20 (Ref:3846039)   #1748
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Oops, forgot that, not really a detail! All with papers of course.
Old 25 Aug 2018, 23:18 (Ref:3846059)   #1749
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn Slater View Post
And with a surname of Hood, would you buy a car off of him ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 26 Aug 2018, 05:48 (Ref:3846092)   #1750
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England

JDC were never afraid of spending money on stuff some would regard as frivolous. Their support vehicles and trucks display an amazing selection of registration numbers, some Jaguar related. Maybe the plates were / are for sale......