Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Jul 2018, 08:27 (Ref:3835358)   #151
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like Iain ran out of brakes at one of the Mulsanne chicanes
Old 8 Jul 2018, 08:28 (Ref:3835360)   #152
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Is Le Monstre ging to be at the show next week Iain?

If so I think I need to get a wider lens for the camera ....
If it is there, it shpuld not be cleaned and polished. Presented as it finished at Le Mans.
Old 8 Jul 2018, 10:34 (Ref:3835394)   #153
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Well very exciting . Owner let me start today . Had mega first lap going like a train . Flat in top approach Porsche curves and yes no brakes . The lord was looking down this time “he missed me at Monaco “and escapecroad was very welcome . It’s been a fantastic experiance I shall never forget . Roll on 2020.
Old 8 Jul 2018, 11:31 (Ref:3835403)   #154
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Well done boss! Zef can tell you about straight lining the chicane from 2016....

My race only included a couple of minor indiscretions, both just losing the odd second, and eventually finished P16. Very chuffed

Last edited by Mike Bell; 8 Jul 2018 at 12:11. Reason: Sp
Old 8 Jul 2018, 11:42 (Ref:3835405)   #155
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Well very exciting . Owner let me start today . Had mega first lap going like a train . Flat in top approach Porsche curves and yes no brakes . The lord was looking down this time “he missed me at Monaco “and escapecroad was very welcome . It’s been a fantastic experiance I shall never forget . Roll on 2020.

Emergency anchor released Iain? Does it have reverse thrust?

Etc., etc.

Old 8 Jul 2018, 12:49 (Ref:3835416)   #156
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Well done boss! Zef can tell you about straight lining the chicane from 2016....

My race only included a couple of minor indiscressions, both just losing the odd second, and eventually finished P16. Very chuffed

Excellent result Mike.

Watching the live video feed it must be a challenge just to survive the time in the queue waiting to be released onto the circuit!
Old 8 Jul 2018, 13:53 (Ref:3835425)   #157
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Excellent result Mike.

Watching the live video feed it must be a challenge just to survive the time in the queue waiting to be released onto the circuit!
Yes well done to Mike & Iain. One thing that never appears to change at the LMC is the amount of time waiting around. Maybe understandable to an extent given the particular nature of the circuit but whenever I've been there as a spectator the long gaps between races are - quite long!
Old 9 Jul 2018, 06:12 (Ref:3835612)   #158
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I dont think he will have to pay for what he broke yesterday, but C Tavares can be dangerous on a track. When at his desk he's the boss, fine, but on the track the same rules apply to all. Well, should.
Old 9 Jul 2018, 07:17 (Ref:3835619)   #159
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
There are several ways to negotiate chicanes with no brakes I'll have you know straight lining is slightly less alarming than the 360 pirouette method mid corner although both methods have been tried and tested

Most disappointed not to be there this year, just too much going on at home. . . . I recently got a whiff of a car that may be available . . . . and eligible . . . . so 2020 is a possibility.

Quote:

My race only included a couple of minor indiscretions, both just losing the odd second, and eventually finished P16. Very chuffed
Old 9 Jul 2018, 09:21 (Ref:3835634)   #160
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Fingers crossed I can get back in 2020! Still so much to learn before I can be as quick round the circuit as I want to be.......

Left Houx at 0600 and just about to board ferry. Fabulous trip through French countryside this morning (Rouen excepted!) in continuing good weather.
Perfect end to a brilliant weekend- and to think 10 days ago I wasn’t even going......
Old 9 Jul 2018, 16:01 (Ref:3835686)   #161
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I dont think he will have to pay for what he broke yesterday, but C Tavares can be dangerous on a track. When at his desk he's the boss, fine, but on the track the same rules apply to all. Well, should.
Appalling driving by Tavares, he should volunteer to pay for all the repairs.
Well done to Mike and Iain and many thanks to Peter Auto for the live feed.
Old 9 Jul 2018, 17:02 (Ref:3835699)   #162
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
After a few struggles my gang finished 1,2 and 7 th
The Elva 19th and in front of six of the seven 904’s that have indeterminate engine sizes
Didn’t know my car in 2016 straight lines a chicane as well as spinning
Learn all these things over time

It was so much slower with its new owner

Will did a 5 29 in the Speedster GT that must be one of best laps of weekend along with GB’s 5.45 in Talbot in G1
Old 9 Jul 2018, 18:21 (Ref:3835722)   #163
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Three 10/10ths stalwarts helped us throughout weekend and a warm thank you to
John, Dick and Jason

They helped us with seven car team

Not sure if they realised what they were letting themselves in for!
Old 9 Jul 2018, 18:36 (Ref:3835728)   #164
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Sitting in queue at Caen Ferry
Still waiting to see a decent car to keep me occupied!
Lots of Healeys, Bs and something looks like a Frog eye

May be surprised as here for another hour!
Old 9 Jul 2018, 19:10 (Ref:3835739)   #165
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Good to see you looking so well John. Keep it that way . 😀
Old 10 Jul 2018, 08:01 (Ref:3835820)   #166
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Didn’t know my car in 2016 straight lines a chicane as well as spinning
Learn all these things over time
That was first time into 1st chicane after we took the brakes off, I did own up at the time, although it probably made little if any difference to lap time.
Old 10 Jul 2018, 11:48 (Ref:3835868)   #167
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
That was first time into 1st chicane after we took the brakes off.
It had brakes?

I always spend time looking at what people come up with for paddock transport, and this impressed me at LMC. It’s a LOHR Fardier light military vehicle, and 2CV based. Engine transverse mounted amidships driving all 4 wheels. Top speed 35kph if you dare!
Attached Thumbnails
4ECE2868-2B46-4E92-A7CA-36484D4FDE93.jpeg  
Old 10 Jul 2018, 16:25 (Ref:3835917)   #168
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
May be our army used it to be thrown on a potential enemy? As a reference to Monthy Python…
Old 10 Jul 2018, 16:35 (Ref:3835920)   #169
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One Heck of a Weekend

Arrived home exhausted, and I was only taking pictures. Goodness me, it was hot. Its going to take time to sort out images and maybe remove some of the heat haze. Here are a few. All images copyright www.retro-speed.co.uk
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_6350_2.JPG   DSC_5567_2.JPG   DSC_6321.JPG  

DSC_6131.jpg   DSC_6271.JPG   DSC_5680.JPG  

Old 10 Jul 2018, 19:13 (Ref:3835942)   #170
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Will did a 5.29 in the Speedster GT that must be one of best laps of weekend along with GB’s 5.45 in Talbot in G1
That was an amazing lap by Will, and was good to see after the Stephens family's car issues in race 1.

Quote:
After a few struggles my gang finished 1,2 and 7th
Excellent result John, especially after GB giving everyone else a head start in race 1! Here's the podium for race 3- Gareth 1st and Michael 2nd...
Attached Thumbnails
LMCpodium (2).JPG  
Old 10 Jul 2018, 19:26 (Ref:3835945)   #171
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrognome View Post
Arrived home exhausted, and I was only taking pictures. Goodness me, it was hot. Its going to take time to sort out images and maybe remove some of the heat haze. Here are a few. All images copyright www.retro-speed.co.uk
Respect to all the marshals and photographers with no shade.....

Great pic of the CD Panhard (car 9) in Plateau 3. Both that and the DBs entertained with their cornering angles! When being warned by marshals showing waved white flags of a slow moving car, more often than not you came across one of the little French cars flat out..... I've never been so fast in a Morgan +4; we were timed at 220kph, which is almost 137mph in English money. No wonder the side screens kept coming out of their catches! Not telling what the rev counter was showing, and in at least 4 locations each lap....
Old 10 Jul 2018, 20:32 (Ref:3835958)   #172
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Respect to all the marshals and photographers with no shade.....

Great pic of the CD Panhard (car 9) in Plateau 3. Both that and the DBs entertained with their cornering angles!

I don't think that's so extreme Mike. I have some recent photos of a Saab 9-5 showing similar cornering traits on a couple of track days (Not my 9-5 btw).

As of yesterday that seemed to have been sorted out by a replacement suspension system for the sports suspension that was already fitted.

That said the Panhard does look like a lot of fun. Slow fun perhaps, but still fun.
Old 10 Jul 2018, 23:47 (Ref:3835983)   #173
PZR
Racer

Japan
London, UK.
PZR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can I - as a 'civilian' - ask, what exactly is the eligibility situation for cars taking part in the Le Mans Classic event?

As far as I understand it, they either have to have actually taken part in the Le Mans 24hrs race in period, or be of a type/spec which took part in period. Is that correct?
Old 11 Jul 2018, 04:54 (Ref:3835997)   #174
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by PZR View Post
Can I - as a 'civilian' - ask, what exactly is the eligibility situation for cars taking part in the Le Mans Classic event?

As far as I understand it, they either have to have actually taken part in the Le Mans 24hrs race in period, or be of a type/spec which took part in period. Is that correct?
That is it in a nutshell. The cut off date for the top plateau (6) being 1981. From Peter Auto website....

"To become part of the legend you must enter a model that has taken part in the Le Mans 24 Hours between 1923 and 1981. Priority is given to cars that have actually raced in the event during this era."
Old 11 Jul 2018, 07:01 (Ref:3836008)   #175
PZR
Racer

Japan
London, UK.
PZR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That is it in a nutshell. The cut off date for the top plateau (6) being 1981. From Peter Auto website....

"To become part of the legend you must enter a model that has taken part in the Le Mans 24 Hours between 1923 and 1981. Priority is given to cars that have actually raced in the event during this era."
Thanks for that.

That's what I understood, but I'm wondering just how seriously Peter Auto take their interpretation of "model". There was a car taking part in Plateau 6 which was LHD when no LHD version of that model ever took part in period, and which was listed with a date two years later than that model finished factory production. It also looked nothing like a car which took part in period - body shape, colouring/livery and details being different.

Good luck to the owner/entrant/driver(s) and I'm sure they were very happy to take part, but I just found it to be a somewhat bizarre anomaly. It made me wonder what had changed at Peter Auto, and what other entrants thought of it?