Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 30 Mar 2005, 19:26 (Ref:1265600)   #1
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
"In-Car 956"

Ah, memories of the very first video tape I ever bought.

Have you seen it?

No?

Well go on, treat yourself........

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...381597944&rd=1

The video seller suggests the quality is "quite poor", well, maybe in comparison with modern-day in-car footage, but this is 20 years old. "Poor", no, I don't think so.......

Last edited by Aysedasi; 30 Mar 2005 at 19:29.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 19:36 (Ref:1265611)   #2
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We've got it on DVD from Amazon (Duke) - it's fab! Being the sad people we are it comes out at parties and we force our guests to watch it, having said that most of them are quite keen! It's definately worth buying, it's difficult to say which circuit is best, Spa is great, Le Mans is awesome
Old 31 Mar 2005, 10:55 (Ref:1266080)   #3
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've got the DVD too, the lap of the Nordschleife is worth the entry fee alone.
Old 31 Mar 2005, 11:45 (Ref:1266118)   #4
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah while playing GT4 I can hear Derek Bell every lap, and I mean, every freaking lap in my head going "Now it's important not loose time going up the hill, you gain all your time going up the hill so it's okay to loose a little going down, but you must gain it back going up"
or for some bizare reason: "Their goes Jacky Ickx on his qualifying lap"
Old 31 Mar 2005, 12:06 (Ref:1266139)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's quality footage if you ask me, pretty much unrivalled..........I'll never part with my copies!
Old 1 Apr 2005, 15:16 (Ref:1267223)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
or for some bizare reason: "Their goes Jacky Ickx on his qualifying lap...."

He's going faster than us because he doesn't have a camera in the car.....

Yep, I'm a sad b****** too!
Old 2 Apr 2005, 05:55 (Ref:1267645)   #7
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
thanks to the hospitality of rlinter last June, I saw it for the first time in the campground at Lemans, and seeing the on and on and on Mulsanne straight was quite something, especially with the real thing being just a klick or so away.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 11:31 (Ref:1269702)   #8
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An awesome tape. The Le Mans laps are scary really. The highlight of the tape for me. The out lap and the acceleration out of the pit lane and the ballistic run down Mulsanne on the out lap, there is another lap to go!! It says so much about the drivers and the cars, those 956s were unbelievable race cars to do that hour after hour and the drivers like Bell, well... it's astonishing really. It might be old now but not forgotten. Truly a classic! A "must see" without a doubt.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 28 Apr 2005, 16:10 (Ref:1289528)   #9
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
A great tape (I have it in VHS). I would not know what circuit is better. The in-car action is so good that I even like Fuji!

Le Mans is impressive (old Nurburgring is colosal) and old Mulsanne's straight is/was so awesome. I remember one young Spanish driver some years ago training for Le Mans in pre-chicanes days saying about the circuit "It is too fast! It is scary!" Lol, those words sound music for me! ... but maybe I'm a bit wicked
Old 19 May 2005, 16:34 (Ref:1304671)   #10
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've only seen bits of it, but the highlight is a 911 suddenly appearing (I think at the end of the Mulsanne straight or similar), after a closing speed of what must have been 200km/h
Old 26 May 2005, 17:53 (Ref:1310897)   #11
Paul V
Racer

Paul V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love a copy, is it still in stock anywhere?
Whats the going rate for one (DVD/VHS)from Ebay etc?

Thanks in advance.
Old 26 May 2005, 21:48 (Ref:1311134)   #12
adstubbs
Racer

United Kingdom
Glamorous Hemel Hempstead
adstubbs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can get it new from Duke Video (dukevideo.com), or from mail order sites like Play.com (they have it in stock at £13.99 delivered). It's well worth it, helps to remind me why drivers like Bell deserve our adulation
Old 26 May 2005, 23:13 (Ref:1311170)   #13
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Didn't they re-release it recently with a lap of Mosport or something on DVD? That should mean it's still in stock, but if you're a hard core fan you've gotta have it on VHS :P
Old 27 May 2005, 12:37 (Ref:1311560)   #14
jna
Racer

jna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's an eBay link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...400213671&rd=1

Mind you, that's a most unusual box cover!

Hazza - what's the issue with a DVD? The sound is better (listen in surround sound turned way up - when the wife's out of the house!) and it is indeed the best in-car film ever issued. Mine doesn't have any Mosport coverage.
Old 27 May 2005, 22:51 (Ref:1312056)   #15
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jna
Here's an eBay link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...400213671&rd=1

Mind you, that's a most unusual box cover!

Hazza - what's the issue with a DVD? The sound is better (listen in surround sound turned way up - when the wife's out of the house!) and it is indeed the best in-car film ever issued. Mine doesn't have any Mosport coverage.
If its the Duke reisssue it will be on the extra features, not the main program.
Old 28 May 2005, 08:24 (Ref:1312237)   #16
jna
Racer

Here is the current link to Duke for the DVD.

http://www.dukevideo.com/products/3480.htm

I'm not an expert but aren't those pictures of touring cars on the box in the auction? Makes you wonder if it is a 'home made' version by someone who doesn't know a 956 from a M3!

To be certain of getting the real thing buy it direct from Duke.

I expect that everyone is familiar with another in-car video called "Sports In-Car Experience". The cover depicts a black long-tail Day Off F1 GTR and was issued in 1998. It's good, but not a patch on In-Car 956.
Old 28 May 2005, 09:38 (Ref:1312289)   #17
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Don't be put off by the cover, it's a generic one Duke use for older re-issues. I suspect they just laser print the title on the pre-printed background as it's easier/cheaper than getting a short print-run of the original artwork.

See http://www.dukevideo.com/products/3507.htm for example
Old 28 May 2005, 10:11 (Ref:1312315)   #18
jna
Racer

Ah, that's interesting. I regret that I am rather cynical about eBay these days whether it's in connection with a video, a diecast model or whatever, and which is sadly due to the many instances of fake goods being sold.

Anyway, thanks very much for the info.
Old 4 Jun 2005, 14:58 (Ref:1319969)   #19
Paul V
Racer

Paul V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the replies, I shall put the DVD onto my birthday list. I would prefer a new copy as the ones on ebay are only a few pounds less (so far).

I drove down the Mulsanne last week - I hope it brushes up well for the race - very scary quality/condition of the barriers along there.
Old 6 Jul 2005, 21:09 (Ref:1349101)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
Don't be put off by the cover, it's a generic one Duke use for older re-issues. I suspect they just laser print the title on the pre-printed background as it's easier/cheaper than getting a short print-run of the original artwork.

See http://www.dukevideo.com/products/3507.htm for example

Ah! That is interesting - bearing in mind that I spotted the auction as well and sent a message to the seller telling him/her that the cover was of what appeared to be BTCC cars and drivers.........
Old 6 Jul 2005, 21:11 (Ref:1349102)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by jna
Ah, that's interesting. I regret that I am rather cynical about eBay these days whether it's in connection with a video, a diecast model or whatever, and which is sadly due to the many instances of fake goods being sold.

Anyway, thanks very much for the info.
Actually, if you're sensible, Ebay is genewrally very reliable. I've been both buying and selling on Ebay since January - without a single problem.
Old 7 Jul 2005, 07:35 (Ref:1349327)   #22
jna
Racer

I've bought almost 400 items from over 200 sellers. All sorts of things from a model car that Minichamps recently insisted on only selling in Japan (see closed model car thread) to ink for the computer printer. Yes, I agree that it is generally reliable, but don't under estimate the risk of getting caught out. One example. A hand-built Starter kit of a Silk Cut Jaguar - a 1000k example that was not issued as a diecast. Looked great and well finished in the picture, but over-exposure of the photo hid (perhaps unintentionally) that the white paint was discoloured. I know you can argue it out, but I couldn't be bothered and just dumped it. He was one of the many sellers who will not post feedback (even though his part of the deal is finalised) before the buyer posts his comment. So, even though I felt unhappy, and considered adding negative feedback, I ran the risk of retaliation. I have earned my 100% record, believe you me.

Sellers face problems as well. A friend of mine who posts on this forum incurred a big loss after selling an expensive book to a buyer in France. Recorded delivery etc., but it never arrived. Buyer complains to PayPal, and the money is immeadiately deducted from the account in advance of any investigation as to what happened to the book. PayPal is great for the buyer, but I have been warned not to use it if I wanted to become a seller and I think that is good advice.

As for fake goods, there are always 'special edition' Minichamps cars, in particular F1 models for sale. Be on you guard is the motto.
Old 7 Jul 2005, 07:45 (Ref:1349336)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I guess we all run a risk, whether we buy through Ebay (with or without PayPal) or mail order or whatever. Perhaps I've been lucky. I've had one or two people who just don't bother to leave feedback but I've also maintained a high level of comms with both buyers and sellers which seems to be appreciated - hence I have some good feedback - I'm 100% too and guard that rating jealously. I've bought some absolute gems on Ebay, like the Ramones DVD that you simply can't buy in the shops and I've sold some good items as well, like the pre-war Robertsons badge which fetched me nearly £60......