Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 24 Dec 2006, 14:58 (Ref:1798764)   #1
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
1400cc challenge

My brother and Suze are both doing thier first sprints at North Weald next year in stock 1400cc shopping cars - anyone else fancy joining in with stock 1400's? could be a good event for the wife, girl, son, daughter to get a taste of what you spend all that money on. The entry fee is probably going to be £45 ish so it won't break the bank.
Old 24 Dec 2006, 15:57 (Ref:1798782)   #2
historicmechy
Rookie

England
Near Snetterton, Norfolk
historicmechy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I could be tempted, where can i find the regulations for the North Wealds events. Its only an hour and a half from me so depending on work i would like to get involved. Will prob be with my Mini if it conforms to any regs i may put in for that.

Anthony
Old 24 Dec 2006, 16:00 (Ref:1798785)   #3
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The one Sam's talking about is being organised by Sevenoaks & District Motorclub and regs will be available nearer the time - dates aren't officially out yet. No past regs for NW on the website at the moment so can't direct you there either I'm afraid!
Old 24 Dec 2006, 17:49 (Ref:1798810)   #4
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
if its a standard car its fine.
Old 25 Dec 2006, 21:09 (Ref:1799139)   #5
historicmechy
Rookie

England
Near Snetterton, Norfolk
So not actually owning a standard car could be a problem then, unless some little bits are allowed? The most standard car i have is lowered and has some alloys on it and a tweaked fuel pressure regulator. Apart from that i have a 130bhp mini with a motorbike cylinder head and a 5.7 litre 1976 corvette. May well put shot to that then unless i thin down my collection and purchase another car! If not i guess that track days will be the next alternative with snetterton only 15 mins away from home and right next to work!
Old 26 Dec 2006, 11:48 (Ref:1799350)   #6
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What do you reckon the performance gain is from the tweaked fuel pressure regulator?

Sam says being a bit max power is fine.
Old 27 Dec 2006, 17:49 (Ref:1799990)   #7
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh this could be interesting...define "a bit"?!
Old 27 Dec 2006, 18:12 (Ref:1800003)   #8
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
modified for appearance rather than performance, a mad bodykit from wings west on a 1.4 pug isn't exactly going to give a faster time.

http://www.motorspeed.com/sitepix/pr...ot_106_new.jpg

no problem with that

http://www.pidocchio.net/turboland/W...106%201600.jpg

but thats way out

what I really want is lots like this

http://www.autogaleria.pl/tapety/img..._2000_01_s.jpg
Old 27 Dec 2006, 23:10 (Ref:1800139)   #9
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like a good formula for a Nova Sport... teee heee heee....

(if you can find an unmolested version - of the 502 built, there are fewer than 200 left, of those, most are Rally cars of some shape or form, a pure road going bog standard version is rarer than Lord Lucan's signature on a 1997 Conservative Party Election Winning Newsletter!)

Last edited by R59; 27 Dec 2006 at 23:13.
Old 27 Dec 2006, 23:17 (Ref:1800147)   #10
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
Sounds like a good formula for a Nova Sport... teee heee heee....

(if you can find an unmolested version - of the 502 built, there are fewer than 200 left, of those, most are Rally cars of some shape or form, a pure road going bog standard version is rarer than Lord Lucan's signature on a 1997 Conservative Party Election Winning Newsletter!)
Really, how much is the old gal worth now then?

A nice B-plater '84 in white - mind you I think they all were. Absolutely original.
Old 28 Dec 2006, 00:01 (Ref:1800164)   #11
historicmechy
Rookie

England
Near Snetterton, Norfolk
before i incriminate myself for being max power i bought the car like it!!! I don't know how much difference the fuel pressure reg makes, but the tinted windows add at least 20bhp!

Its my daily hack at the moment, but it was originally a Toyota Starlet SR, kinda sporty but with a 75bhp 1.3l engine. It'll do 110 on a private road of course

That'll prob count more as a shopping car, the mini would have been a better crack though its still a 1275,but the rest of it is completely different.

What i really ned to purchase is a nice standard Polo g40 or a MK1 Pug 106 rallye!

Last edited by historicmechy; 28 Dec 2006 at 00:04.
Old 28 Dec 2006, 09:40 (Ref:1800302)   #12
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
You could do but it misses the point somewhat, might say that with the fuel pressure regulator you have to run with a full tank of fuel. (ballast)
Old 28 Dec 2006, 10:21 (Ref:1800338)   #13
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller
Really, how much is the old gal worth now then?

A nice B-plater '84 in white - mind you I think they all were. Absolutely original.
I've seen mint ones go for over £3K.

I'll put mine back together one day..... Mine's on a C-plate, as is my brother's - though his has a "real" competition history - being the car that Ivan Dutton did Prodsaloons with in 86, and later campaigned to some success by Neil Crofts.

Mine belonged to a girl who worked at a dealers in Houghton Regis, I bought it at two years old, and started racing it in 1990. It's got 16 wins under it's belt from a year and a half of competition, together with a championship r/u in 1990, and winner in 1991. It evolved into a GTE, but I have everything to restore it back to aboriginal (except for the transfers - which are easy enough to get now)

That's all by the by... I still reckon a bog standard Sport would do well in this series. 95bhp on it's 40's. The only things that let it down are the wide ratio box, and the 175/70 x 13 rubber (if you have to have standard rubber).

Rob.
Old 28 Dec 2006, 12:37 (Ref:1800478)   #14
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So you have to police that its not been modded for performance and make sure they're running on standard rubber and alsorts of things like that.

Not trying to put a dampener on things but things take more "policing" than you seem to think.
Old 28 Dec 2006, 15:03 (Ref:1800585)   #15
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
well standard rubber could mean list 1a but rather than do that the plan is just to have a quick look at the rubber and say - is that designed for doris going down the shops or not. So if you have non listed tyres like Nankang or other cheapie things (like I think you have on your Ka) its ok. But competition tyres of any sort are out, the tyres should also be in road legal condition.

Having very strict rules defining what is and isn't standard can mean it takes more time and money to make your car standard than to prep it for competition. And it is as you say difficult to police. However this is a different way of operating meaning that the inspection of the cars will be brief and pretty straightforward. Thing in the past have taken a lot of policing due to the way the regs are and its quite rare to have the rules enforced by the rule makers.

However this way of working has margins, as I say if a car is modded for competition it will show up - if its primary purpose is road use then that will also be evident.

Lets me reiterate the number 1 factor - this is for cars up to 1400cc in standard trim. There is an allowance for cars that have moved away from showroom spec over the years. I think if there ever are printed regs for this then they will likely say something like - any vehicle deemed not to be in the spirit of the 1400cc challenge will not be elegible.

Last edited by ss_collins; 28 Dec 2006 at 15:11.
Old 28 Dec 2006, 15:23 (Ref:1800603)   #16
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
Nah my ka's got Avons now thanks!

I don't pretend to know anything about cars etc, but there could be hidden mods etc that wouldn't be "in the spirit of the challenge" but also couldn't be seen with the quick once over which would mean that its not as fair as it should be (of course this happens in sprinting now, but very little is done about it as people have to put money down in a protest and they won't).

Don't get me wrong I think its a great idea, and BARC SEC have had a class 0 (i think thats the one you talk about when you mention removal of classes) for the 2006 season, I just think it might need more thinking about.
Old 28 Dec 2006, 15:38 (Ref:1800611)   #17
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't believe that there will be enough interest to develop a class for stock 1400's. Most speed series have moved away from purely standard classes becaue of this, and as Chezza has said there's usually a class for all standard vehicles.

Now where's the Suzuki Swift GTI....
Old 28 Dec 2006, 15:40 (Ref:1800613)   #18
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
see this thread:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89617
Old 28 Dec 2006, 17:13 (Ref:1800651)   #19
Suze
Veteran

England
Presume it's the story re Hillclimbing for newbies you're thinking of on the website?

(For anybody else interested it's under news on the menu on the left hand side, and then news article from 10 October).
Old 29 Dec 2006, 19:55 (Ref:1801423)   #20
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Dan in the SE there are no classes for standard cars - just 'roadgoing' also the odd turbo diesel will come along and blitz everyone - so a stock 1.3 micra will be up against a fully race prepped screamer - not a fair fight. There has been good interest already and at this level its just 6 or 7 cars we are talking about, not a championship season or anything - at least not yet.
Old 29 Dec 2006, 20:33 (Ref:1801439)   #21
MiniMadness
Veteran

Canada
Glen Allen VA/Kent UK
MiniMadness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by historicmechy

Its my daily hack at the moment, but it was originally a Toyota Starlet SR kinda sporty but with a 75bhp 1.3l engine. It'll do 110 on a private road of course
I used to have one of these. Speedline wheels big exhaust sports suspension. Bog standard engine and interior. Sold mine to a guy at work and it's sat on his drive in Croydon ever since. His daughter never passed her driving test. What a waste !!

I have a Fiesta Supersport which I was going to use for sprints. The car's currently SORN but its up for sale if anyone's interested. Send me a PM.
Old 1 Jan 2007, 01:38 (Ref:1802585)   #22
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Quote:
Speedline wheels big exhaust sports suspension. Bog standard engine and interior.

Thats a good description of the sort of thing that would fit in well.
Old 1 Jan 2007, 19:56 (Ref:1802965)   #23
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Both BARC and the ACSMC are running classes for bog standard cars in 2007 so your "challenge" should be accommodated ok.
Old 2 Jan 2007, 22:25 (Ref:1804310)   #24
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a quick question...

If I get a car and fit a roll cage and competition seat to it - can it still be entered so long as everything else is stock?
Old 2 Jan 2007, 22:29 (Ref:1804313)   #25
Suze
Veteran

England
Will leave Sam to confirm but believe no as it appears to have been modified for competition and isn't a shopping car...