Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 11 Sep 2007, 19:56 (Ref:2009661)   #1
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Last UK track closure?

With trackside rumours of Rockingham facing closure (from what I heard from a marshall at Croft the other weekend), what was the last UK permanent race circuit to close? I've been following motorsport since 1990 and can't remember any since then.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 20:06 (Ref:2009672)   #2
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ingliston was closed in 1994.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 20:16 (Ref:2009678)   #3
rallycrosscraig
Racer

rallycrosscraig has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
shame about Ingliston, I'd go for that as the last circuit?
Old 11 Sep 2007, 21:06 (Ref:2009721)   #4
Chris Griffin
Racer

England
Theale, Berkshire, UK
Chris Griffin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mallory came close in the late 80s
Old 11 Sep 2007, 22:19 (Ref:2009788)   #5
big andy
Veteran

United Kingdom
doncaster
big andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbig andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rufforth closed in 1977 never re opened ,croft closed in 1983 but re opened in 1996/7
Old 11 Sep 2007, 22:37 (Ref:2009797)   #6
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by big andy
rufforth closed in 1977 never re opened ,croft closed in 1983 but re opened in 1996/7
It re-opened in 11th November 94 or maybe 95, I think. That was the day that my Dad decided to change our S2000 Tiga into a Lancia Stratos with the Tiga chassis underneath because he was so cold due to the rain and the wind, he was going blue around his lips etc.
Old 12 Sep 2007, 07:06 (Ref:2009910)   #7
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone remember Longridge,Lancs? Just half mile round I have forgotten when it closed.Also closed for circuit car racing,Crystal Palace,Aintree Llandow.If Rockingham closes will it have had the shortest life of any 'permanent' track? Will be no loss to me,but must have been a poor investment for someone? Clearly no demand for oval racing in UK.
Old 12 Sep 2007, 07:07 (Ref:2009913)   #8
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I marshalled at Longridge,Llandow and Crystal Palace, none are used as race circuits today but Llandow is a sprint venue. Not sure of the dates they closed though.
Old 12 Sep 2007, 07:26 (Ref:2009922)   #9
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Apart from Brands CP was my nearest track. I used to watch a lot of car and bike racing until it closed in the early 70s
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 15 Sep 2007, 12:45 (Ref:2013581)   #10
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
There was that Langbaurgh (sp??) place in Teeside that did get opened I think but never had the race meetings it was set up for and ended up a rallycross and sprint venue in the 80's & 90's.

Is that still open for anything?
Old 15 Sep 2007, 15:49 (Ref:2013752)   #11
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
CP had sprints though from 1997 until 2000 if I've got my dates right.
Old 15 Sep 2007, 20:00 (Ref:2013941)   #12
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aintree closed to car circuit racing in 1982, but has continued to run motor bike racing, car sprints and the odd car track/test days more or less continuously since then.

And being a touch pedantic, can I put forward Anglesey as the last permanent circuit to close Anglesey Mk1 opened in May 1997 and closed at the beginning of Oct 2006.
In May 2007 the new Anglesey Mk2 was opened, consisting of four layouts from 0.8 miles upto 2.1 miles in length. None of the old circuit remains, as the new version is totally different.
Old 15 Sep 2007, 20:34 (Ref:2013973)   #13
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by diz
And being a touch pedantic, can I put forward Anglesey as the last permanent circuit to close Anglesey Mk1 opened in May 1997 and closed at the beginning of Oct 2006.
In May 2007 the new Anglesey Mk2 was opened, consisting of four layouts from 0.8 miles upto 2.1 miles in length. None of the old circuit remains, as the new version is totally different.
I think School was kept.

And it would be a shame if the Rock closes, it's a pretty good venue that actually could quite easily (compared to anywhere else) be upgraded to Grade 2 or 1.
Old 15 Sep 2007, 21:23 (Ref:2014010)   #14
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
I think School was kept.
Not quite DT.
There is a corner on the National layout called School with a similar radius and it is more or less in the same place, but it is now 12 metres wide [like all the track] so is different.
Most of the site was dug out, or built up, or moved from here to there, or from one part to another etc., and the new version of School is approx five feet higher above sea level than the old version, so it ain't the same.
Hope that clears things up DT. As I say, it is a totally new complex of circuits.
Old 16 Sep 2007, 10:26 (Ref:2014381)   #15
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius
With trackside rumours of Rockingham facing closure (from what I heard from a marshall at Croft the other weekend), what was the last UK permanent race circuit to close? I've been following motorsport since 1990 and can't remember any since then.

Has Jurby (Isle of Man) closed?
Old 16 Sep 2007, 19:05 (Ref:2014894)   #16
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Not sure on that Peter, they are still showing events like karts/trackdays for this year . I'll ask Peter Lloyd this weekend at Brands as he lives in the IOM.
There must be somebody that lives there that comes on 10/10th !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Sep 2007, 19:42 (Ref:2014923)   #17
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Silverstone rallysprint?

ringwood!
Old 16 Sep 2007, 20:30 (Ref:2014956)   #18
Blackflag77
Rookie

Scotland
Blackflag77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
Anyone remember Longridge,Lancs? Just half mile round I have forgotten when it closed.Also closed for circuit car racing,Crystal Palace,Aintree Llandow.If Rockingham closes will it have had the shortest life of any 'permanent' track? Will be no loss to me,but must have been a poor investment for someone? Clearly no demand for oval racing in UK.
Perhaps if they penned Rockingham as a superspeedway style circuit like daytone et al, it may have ticked the right boxes.

Shame Ingliston closed. There is some in-car footage on YouTube of a Formula Vauxhall Lotus race in the early 90's.

Last edited by Blackflag77; 16 Sep 2007 at 20:35.
Old 16 Sep 2007, 20:57 (Ref:2014976)   #19
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ringwood is still running i think spedeworth southern were in charge for a while but now its trogan motorsport or some such thing..
Old 16 Sep 2007, 21:15 (Ref:2014991)   #20
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents
Has Jurby (Isle of Man) closed?
Ding! - I think the man above takes the prize. I would have instictively said Ingleston (something like '95 - awesome looking circuit), but Jurby disappeared from the Blue Book this year (or last year?). No official anoucement of a closure, more just faded away.

Not many tears for Rockingham from me< i@m afraid - dull circuit. At least I see that Lydden is continuing - that would be a disaster if it went...
Old 18 Sep 2007, 12:52 (Ref:2016878)   #21
Russell B.
Rookie

England
Kent
Russell B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There was that Langbaurgh (sp??) place in Teeside that did get opened I think but never had the race meetings it was set up for and ended up a rallycross and sprint venue in the 80's & 90's.

Is that still open for anything?
Teesside Autodrome?
It's open as a kart / sprint / trackday venue having recently been extended.

http://www.teessideautodrome.co.uk/index.php
Old 18 Sep 2007, 13:11 (Ref:2016905)   #22
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell B.
Teesside Autodrome?
It's open as a kart / sprint / trackday venue having recently been extended.

http://www.teessideautodrome.co.uk/index.php
Looking at the circuit plans on the Teesside Autodrome website, there's an MSA/ACU race circuit (which has a different layout to the MSA sprint circuit). Does this imply that they are going for/have got full MSA race circuit accreditation?? If so, when did/does car racing there start?
Old 18 Sep 2007, 14:26 (Ref:2016982)   #23
AR-CoolC
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincoln
AR-CoolC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
Ingliston was closed in 1994.
Where was/is Ingliston? Looking on Google maps it only brings up Edinburgh airport.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 14:27 (Ref:2016983)   #24
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Ingliston was at Edinburgh Showground - right next to the airport
Old 18 Sep 2007, 14:33 (Ref:2016987)   #25
AR-CoolC
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincoln
AR-CoolC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like all remains of it have gone now then.