Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Closed Thread

Old 26 Feb 2002, 21:03 (Ref:223203)   #1
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your GPL best lap times.

I just thought it would be a good idea for everyone to post there best lap times, if you want to, to see who is quickest over one lap at each of the circuits. Here are mine:

Track: Time Car
Kyalami: 1.21.03 Eagle
Monaco: 1.29.08 Cooper
Zandvoort: 1.26.60 Lotus
Spa: 3.19.90 Eagle
Rouen: 1.58.49 Brabham
Silverstone: 1.28.16 Lotus
Nurburgring: 8.39.96 Lotus
Mosport: 1.25.20 Lotus
Monza: 1.29.25 Lotus
Watkins Glen: 1.05.57 Eagle
Mexico: 1.50.73 Lotus

How do your laps compare?
Old 27 Feb 2002, 11:41 (Ref:223533)   #2
hypo
Racer

hypo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Your GPL best lap times.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony_Simpson

Track: Time Car
Kyalami: 1.21.03 Eagle
Monaco: 1.29.08 Cooper
Zandvoort: 1.26.60 Lotus
Spa: 3.19.90 Eagle
Rouen: 1.58.49 Brabham
Silverstone: 1.28.16 Lotus
Nurburgring: 8.39.96 Lotus
Mosport: 1.25.20 Lotus
Monza: 1.29.25 Lotus
Watkins Glen: 1.05.57 Eagle
Mexico: 1.50.73 Lotus

How do your laps compare?
Kyalami: 1.22.79
Monaco: 1.30.83
Zandvoort: 1.29.43
Spa: 3.26.53
Rouen: 2.04.74
Silverstone: 1.31.11
Nurburgring: 8.57.75
Mosport: 1.24.30
Monza: 1.29.84
Watkins Glen: 1.06.71
Mexico: 1.58.07

Looks like I`ve got a lot of practice to do

All my times are with the Lotus and fairly stock setups
Old 27 Feb 2002, 12:37 (Ref:223580)   #3
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

To get a better base for the setups have a look a www.gplea.org and download the Solitude track. This is where I start with my setups for each track (you load it in for each track and car). They are so good as the spring rates are set up right, and all you need to do is fine tune it for each track (ride height, arb, toe, etc) Also try to stay with a 85/45 diff and 6 clutches. Then it is just down to practice

Also if you have driven laps at all tracks have a look at http://gplrank.schuerkamp.de/ when it is back up working and get a ranking. Then aim to get a negative rank, and it is harder than it looks.
Old 27 Feb 2002, 15:10 (Ref:223665)   #4
hypo
Racer

Thanks for the setup tips Tony

I`ve got a GPLrank of about +59 I think, and was going to post the link, but couldn`t get to the site myself.
It`s going to be back soon then yeah?
Old 4 Mar 2002, 12:45 (Ref:227700)   #5
hypo
Racer

C`mon people, post your times up
I`m sure there must be more GPLers out there
Even if you haven`t raced on all tracks, post a couple up here

Dont be shy
Old 4 Mar 2002, 16:23 (Ref:227838)   #6
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll get back to you, I have to check me times...but I think my Watkins is 1.09 in an Eagle.
Old 5 Mar 2002, 09:09 (Ref:228336)   #7
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
I finally have a computer to run GPL and a mate is giving me a copy when he visits in a couple of weeks. So after several years of waiting I will at last get a chance to see how poor I am round the Nordschliefe.

Any advice on steering wheels would be much appreciated, something that is compatible with this and future games, and not too much over £50. Does it need to be a force-feedback?

Cheers.
Old 5 Mar 2002, 16:10 (Ref:228565)   #8
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Steering wheel wise I would go for the Thrustmaster ones, the ones that 'look' like a Ferrari 360 wheel. There are two, one for about £40 and one £60. They are nearly the same, except the £60 one has a gear lever, as well as paddle shifts(THe £40 only has paddle shifts). I find this more realistic, but you still have the option for a paddle shift for F1/World Sports cars games. Both come with pedals and need a USB port (maybe not for the £40 one)

You do not need Force feed back as it does not work well.

Hope that helps.
Old 6 Mar 2002, 08:57 (Ref:229078)   #9
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for that, PC World had a big range and they all looked much of a muchness, so a recommendation really helps.

P.S. Don't expect to see a lap time out of me for a good few months!
Old 7 Mar 2002, 21:53 (Ref:230284)   #10
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
yeah i got the thrustmaster 360M £40 from Game, absolutely fantastic, brilliant peice of kit - right in the middle range. i saw the jaguar one at like £100 i was very shocked!!! i think this is the best for Value for Money.

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 8 Mar 2002, 00:59 (Ref:230501)   #11
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SO HAVE I!!! Waht a wonderful little steering whell it is!! Perfect in every way (well, the pedals are w@nk, BUT OTHER THAN THAT!!).

I only have a P350 with no graphics card. My FPS is atrocious on GPL (no more than 15 at ABSOLUTE best). However, considering, I think I'm pretty adept, though I have NO idea of my laptimes. However, I DO know Tony's are good.
Old 18 Mar 2002, 09:40 (Ref:238188)   #12
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
I'VE GOT IT, I'VE GOT IT!!

After waiting for however many years, I finally have GPL. With my spanking new computer the frame-rate with everything turned on is 36+ and the thrustmaster wheel(shame about the name) is superb.

I spent most of the weekend tiptoeing around in the advanced trainer. Got a reasonable rhythm around Rouen, Spa and Kyalami, laptimes too slow to mention. Struggling with the braking, a lot of understeer into (and off) corners. Manual gears seems to be the only way to go, the auto changes at the worst times.

As predicted, absolutely useless around the 'Ring, but my respect for the real drivers of the time has reached at all time high. Half a lap in the GP cars with the aids off was just silly, most of time was spent doing donuts.

Some predictable newbie questions:
1. Are the setups available online useful, and more importantly how do you put them in to the game?
2. Is it quite easy to set up racing the computer in the trainers?
3. I have seen all the tracks out there to download, but once downloaded how do you put them into the game?
4. Because it is an old copy, all I got from my mate was the CD, the manual having been lost in the mists of time. Is the original documentation online anywhere, and is it useful?

I have had a look at quite a lot of the fan sites out there, but any hints/tips from you guys would be much appreciated.
Old 18 Mar 2002, 10:41 (Ref:238225)   #13
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

First things first , GET OUT OF THE ADVANCED TRAINER, it is not worth driving that as you will only have to relearn everything later. Sorry for that rant

As you are learning try only to drive at Monza or Watkins Glen, and at this stage only drive the Cooper, Eagle or the lotus if you have too. Turn off auto brakes and auto gears.

As to your questions.

1. There are alot of setups online but must of them (98% or so) are very tricky to drive. If you have to use them (and please don't) then you have to go (file names)GPL-players-your name-setups. get the Solitude track as explained above to get a good base setup.

2. Not sure what you mean, try going through a single race screen.

3. put the downloaded tracks in to (file names) GPL-tracks- then have a read of the readme file.

4. If the manual is not at www.papy.com then I am not sure where it would be. While you are there get the 1.2 patch and the Direct3D patch.

Hope that helps.
Old 18 Mar 2002, 14:13 (Ref:238397)   #14
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh yeah, how could I forget this.

I got GPL a long time ago but only recently I've got the hang of it. When this thread was started I had just switched to the lotus and started fiddling with the setup. Consequently my laptimes were dropping a bit.

I've only got decent times at Monza. I've done the other tracks, but not serious enough to get a decent time. I'm doing one track at a time

So, now I'm happy with my transmission, and almost happy with the suspension. I've got a 1.31.16 on Monza so far. I should gain a bit when I can deal with a stiffer suspension and my braking is still pretty bad. I reckon I can get a 1.30 this week. Then I'll have a party and move to Spa.
The thought of having to learn the nurnburgring gives me sleepless nights already...

Oh AllonFS, I almost forgot this. I didn't get the manual on paper with my copy of GPL. Instead I got a .pdf file containing the manual. Perhaps you can find the manual on the disc too. And if it's not there or on the papy site I could always e-mail it to you.

Last edited by Toth; 18 Mar 2002 at 14:17.
Old 18 Mar 2002, 14:23 (Ref:238408)   #15
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
Thanks for the advice, the Cooper/Coventry it is then.

I've already got the patches, they loaded themselves up, but thanks for the track download info. I will also avoid the setups as suggested, I am struggling as it is without making life more difficult still!

As for racing the trainers, I found information at the Eaglewomans site, (Alison Hine). She has instructions on how to change a bit of code which will enable you to compete in races for the basic and advanced trainer. Her site is below, the information is in the main faq, part 5.3

http://eaglewoman.simracing.dk/gpl/index.htm

I was just wondering if others had done this and if it was worth it?

Finally have people downloaded better car/track graphics and/or better car sounds? If so then any recommendations would be appreciated.

(I hope all this doesn't sound like nit-picking, the game itself is wonderful, I just want to make the most of it)
Old 18 Mar 2002, 15:21 (Ref:238440)   #16
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

There are better graphics for the cars and some times the tracks. Have a look at the Gplea site for some info. You can also get some better sounds but I am not sure where from. I will have to check. Use what sound you have atm to listen to the tyres locking up, and the rears spinning up.

Monza is a good track to learn as it teaches you to brake in a straight line, and at maximum efficiency. Remember locking tyres is bad. Try a 54 front brake balance, then reduce to 53 later on. Watkins Glen on the other hand teaches you to brake at funny angles (around corners), over humps, etc.. and all these skill come in handy later on.

Before moving on to other tracks (Spa next) try getting below 1min31 at Monza and 1min07 at the Glen.

Perhaps I should start a thread for a gpl help clinic
Old 18 Mar 2002, 19:16 (Ref:238627)   #17
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
ozywoodwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here are my times (done on a 333mhz with no hardware acceleration therefore only 12-15fps aghhhhh, and with a joystick).

Kyalami 1:21.68 Eagle-Weslake T1G
Mexico City 1:52.59 Lotus-Ford 49
Monaco 1:32.24 Lotus-Ford 49
Monza 1:28.67 Eagle-Weslake T1G
Mosport 1:25.80 Eagle-Weslake T1G
Nurburgring 8:58.64 Lotus-Ford 49
Rouen 2:03.49 Eagle-Weslake T1G
Silverstone 1:29.35 Lotus-Ford 49
Spa-Francorchamps 3:20.88 Eagle-Weslake T1G
Watkins Glen 1:06.83 Lotus-Ford 49
Zandvoort 1:29.20 Eagle-Weslake T1G

Incidently my GPL rank score is 49.15
Old 19 Mar 2002, 11:35 (Ref:239184)   #18
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
Thanks for the continuing advice. I will check my disc and see if the manual is on there, but I think the .pdf version was on the later budget release (saved money on printing I guess) and I think the version I have is from the original release. I will certainly take up your offer Toth to send it by email if I can't find it - thanks.

Tony - I think the GPL help clinic is an excellent idea! There is of course a huge community out there with loads of websites and info, but when you are a novice just trying to stay on the track, it can be a bit overwhelming! I will definitely try some of the graphical updates soon, some of the cockpits look really good.

Finally, I followed the instructions for racing in the trainers and it was really easy and works a treat. The long term goal is of course to race the GP cars, but it was fun to race in the basic trainer, if I could only stop for the hairpin at Rouen!
Old 19 Mar 2002, 12:39 (Ref:239231)   #19
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

The braking point for the hairpin at Rouen is the tree/bush before the left hander before the hairpin. Change down two gears here then in a straight line change down to first.

Drive the Gp cars they are alot more fun

The best bit of advice is to stay on track as long as poss, doing ten laps with out spinning then 20, etc then start to go quicker. Once you have the racing lines then you can go a bit quicker.

Make sure you have the racing lines put on as the graphics option, most of the lines are right but some are not for the quicker driver. As a novice just get around the track, slowely so you do not spin then start going a bit quicker.
Old 19 Mar 2002, 15:17 (Ref:239353)   #20
Toth
Racer

Yeah, I did a 1.30.90 yesterday. It was totally unexpected as I was still warming up (myself, not the tires) and I actually bumped the barrier at Lesmo 1! But I got a great exit out of Lesmo 2 and a perfect line through Ascari. Anyway I'm gonna stay at Monza for a while, see how fast I can go on a good lap.

GPL is one of those games that just gets better the longer you have it.
Old 11 Dec 2002, 13:04 (Ref:447575)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Toth

GPL is one of those games that just gets better the longer you have it.

Doesn't it just!
Old 11 Dec 2002, 15:09 (Ref:447670)   #22
Toth
Racer

Yeah, but I still haven't bettered that 1.30.90 at monza though...but I've got somewhat decent times at some of the other tracks and I've finally dared to try the Ring!
Old 12 Dec 2002, 08:28 (Ref:448101)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Toth
Yeah, but I still haven't bettered that 1.30.90 at monza though...but I've got somewhat decent times at some of the other tracks and I've finally dared to try the Ring!
I've got the Lotus, Eagle, Ferrari and Brabham negative at Monza, my best being a 1:28.46 in the Lotus. I'm really struggling to get the other three negative there. At Silverstone, I'm just 0.09 away with the BRM - when I get that one I'll have all 7 cars negative there.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 12 Dec 2002 at 08:29.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 09:57 (Ref:448153)   #24
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
http://gplrank.schuerkamp.de/php-reg...tail=1,1,11284

looks like i've got the fastest time at the ring' on 10/10th's...

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 12 Dec 2002, 13:15 (Ref:448281)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Number Juan
http://gplrank.schuerkamp.de/php-reg...tail=1,1,11284

looks like i've got the fastest time at the ring' on 10/10th's...

For the time being.........

(I'm too busy with my new-found love of racing online to bother with hot-lapping any more. Fancy a race at the 'Ring anyone? ).