Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 26 Jun 2006, 22:42 (Ref:1642147)   #1
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Evans

Does anybody remember Paul Evans? He starred in British F3 in 1992 and 1993. I remember he contested Class B in 92 and fought all year with Hilton Cowie for the championship (I think Cowie won) in a self prepared, virtually sponsor-less car. He moved to Class A with crack squad Paul Stewart Racing in '93, partnering eventual champion Kelvin Burt. 1993, as I recall, was the year that Dallara took control of British F3, and those that had the budget (Burt included) ditched their Reynards for the more competitive Italian chassis. Evans struggled on with the Reynard (due to finances I guess) and soon disappeared from the racing scene.
Paul Evans was one of those drivers that you just get a feeling about, there was something in his smooth but devastatingly fast style that stuck out, to me. Something in the turn-in - aggressive but controlled, with a lot of speed carried in, reminiscent of Alonso, actually. I still believe, finances permitting, he could have gone all the way. He'd only be in his early 30's now. I'd love to know what happened to him - any clues anyone??
Old 27 Jun 2006, 17:43 (Ref:1642779)   #2
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The last I heard, approx 2 years ago, was that Paul was working in the family car business.

A nice guy and good driver, but sadly underfunded.

Paul did win his class in F3 that season after a long fight with Hilton.
Old 27 Jun 2006, 20:57 (Ref:1642929)   #3
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well that answers that question! I haven't seen Paul for years. My one abiding memory will be his mum who used to spend all race day with her fingers permanently crossed

A thoroughly nice lad from a thoroughly nice family.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 10:38 (Ref:1643302)   #4
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks both of you for your replies. It was Paul that won the class that year wasn't it?! My memory's on the way out..!
Old 28 Jun 2006, 16:07 (Ref:1643529)   #5
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
He had a crack in Brit GT's in the late 90's I think?

But yes he was someone I thought a good talent and the '93 Reynard year came at the wrong time for him unfortunately.
Old 2 Jul 2006, 16:11 (Ref:1646324)   #6
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
He had a crack in Brit GT's in the late 90's I think
Yes. In 1998, Paul Evans shared William Hewland's GT1 Lister Storm GTL and scored a few podiums over the course of the season.