Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 12 Jun 2023, 17:16 (Ref:4163396)   #976
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
The "Aussie" is Richard Craill, or Craillsy:
https://twitter.com/Craillsy

I assume you must not follow the Bathurst 12 because he's covered the last 3 or 4 with Hindy & Co.

Did Trussers do the entire 24 hours again?
I know who it was, and was referring to "the Aussie" as a term of endearment!
Old 12 Jun 2023, 18:07 (Ref:4163409)   #977
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Did Trussers do the entire 24 hours again?
I think they make him take some breaks, for the good of his health. (He remains their best asset).

Hindy hasn't done the final stretch for many (all?) of the recent races, I think they are trying to give more of their team the spotlight rather than making it the 'Hindy Show'.

Was there some Beef with Toyota not offering up anyone for interviews or were they ignoring all the media?
Old 12 Jun 2023, 21:35 (Ref:4163440)   #978
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Trusses "stepped out" for a bit, can't quite remember when but I'll listen to the whole race again soon and make note.

As an Aussie, I thought it might have sounded a tad patriotic to say that Craillsy was fantastic and made the commentary for me. Listening to Bruce Jones, Trussers and him were highlights. I missed Shea in the pit lane, but maybe not as much as I thought I was going to.
Old 12 Jun 2023, 23:35 (Ref:4163448)   #979
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I must say I enjoyed it this year. I think it’s got a little better each year for a few years now.

Go back a few and I was not enjoying it no spending less and less time listening. The addition and more time to the new people is good and, RLM legend that he is, less Hindy has helped. There are some old favorites I miss, but it was a good job this year.

Basically there was more talking about the race and less dog with bone.
Old 12 Jun 2023, 23:37 (Ref:4163449)   #980
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
Trusses "stepped out" for a bit, can't quite remember when but I'll listen to the whole race again soon and make note.

As an Aussie, I thought it might have sounded a tad patriotic to say that Craillsy was fantastic and made the commentary for me. Listening to Bruce Jones, Trussers and him were highlights. I missed Shea in the pit lane, but maybe not as much as I thought I was going to.
I agree with this, although I did miss Shea.
Old 13 Jun 2023, 07:11 (Ref:4163480)   #981
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I felt Craillsy was acting as a newby, he asked lots of basic questions about the event which gave the team the opportunity expand on the subject. Worked very well.
Old 14 Jun 2023, 07:58 (Ref:4163633)   #982
rx555
Rookie

United States
St. Louis
rx555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedley Verity View Post
I’m getting massively frustrated with John Hindhaugh endlessly repeating the same point about GT3 and ignoring the race
I noticed that too. He goes on tangents about things and kinda forgets about the race.
Old 14 Jun 2023, 08:51 (Ref:4163639)   #983
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Which is why you need a strong 'second voice' to keep an eye out on things happening or changing the subject. Trusswell is v good at this.

We mustn't forget though that they are providing a radio style colour commentary rather than just describing what it being shown on the screen all the time.
Old 14 Jun 2023, 09:17 (Ref:4163640)   #984
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Really enjoyed RLM this year, but I have the usual feedback I've had for years

- the production quality is not high enough. Volume levels are not hard. They need to improve this.
- more talking about what's happening on the screen and less social media. There were overtakes for the lead happening, and we were getting another update on what Right Turn Lover was having for breakfast. Stop making it an exclusive boys club with shoutouts and name drops.

Other than that, it was excellent. Improved coverage for sure. Certainly better than the Eurosport and Official WEC app teams - which I did listen to for practice, but it was rather frustrating.
Old 14 Jun 2023, 09:19 (Ref:4163641)   #985
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
We mustn't forget though that they are providing a radio style colour commentary rather than just describing what it being shown on the screen all the time.
Radio Le Mans always reminds be of Test Match Special they talk through the action but also have a lot of waffle to fill time.
Old 14 Jun 2023, 09:43 (Ref:4163648)   #986
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sheesh, I must be missing something. We can watch the TV stream if at home, or the screens at the circuit if there, so RLM provides a background. I liked the chat about GT3 and the background to other stories. At the same time you/we can get involved. All good to me.
Old 14 Jun 2023, 09:58 (Ref:4163654)   #987
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
...less social media. There were overtakes for the lead happening, and we were getting another update on what Right Turn Lover was having for breakfast. Stop making it an exclusive boys club with shoutouts and name drops.....
I broadly agree with this point. There's little benefit of shoutouts to random people listening at home. Maybe read out things tweeted in from people at the track who may have seen something that the TV cameras have missed.

And perhaps only say hello to famous people that we might all know, If I wanted the views of some dimwit off of The Internet I only need to look in a mirror.
Old 14 Jun 2023, 10:01 (Ref:4163655)   #988
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I must admit I've listened to RLM less and less over the years. 5 years ago I had my earphones clamped to my head permanently through practice and race but I didn't even put them on this year until a few hours into the race. I've always loved listening to Trussers but I too find the 'name dropping' Twitter hashtag stuff that Akrapovic refers to very dull indeed. The only time I've communicated with the studio has been by text direct to Trussers, although not for a few years now. But I did get a mention.... I doubt that I listened in for more than 2 hours this year. I still consider RLM essential, but it's not the RLM I knew and loved from years ago.
Old 14 Jun 2023, 11:42 (Ref:4163660)   #989
Hedley Verity
Racer

United Kingdom
Hedley Verity should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I acknowledge that in a 24 hour race there will be discussion as well as pure commentary, but I think John Hindhaugh in particular fails to appreciate that not everyone is listening constantly, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect that if you turn on you’ll know what’s happening within 10 minutes or so.
I always understand the situation of the race when Johnny Palmer is on, I often don’t when JH is.
I was particularly grumpy on Sunday morning though, and overall RLM is marvellous and does an enormous amount for the sport.
Old 14 Jun 2023, 11:54 (Ref:4163663)   #990
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedley Verity View Post
...and overall RLM is marvellous and does an enormous amount for the sport.
Indeed, 'Hedley' (which reminds me I still need to read James Holland's book on the invasion of Sicily that has sat on the shelf for a while)

Maybe part of the problem is that Le Mans is the one WEC race where there are large numbers of people listening in at the circuit on an actual radio.

For other races pretty much everyone will be watching the tv and maybe even have the timing screens running, so no need to be updating people on the race order or what has happened in the last hour etc.

So the style that works for the race at Spa last month won't work for Le Mans this month.

(Also, there's hundreds, if not thousands, of listeners who will only listen to the RLM content at LM so have no idea of the in jokes about Llamas etc (not sure I get it either)).
Old 14 Jun 2023, 12:04 (Ref:4163664)   #991
Steve McQ
Racer

France
Steve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSteve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSteve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't you think a merger between RLM and the official WEC coverage should be seriously considered ? I remember fondly a few years back when all our favourite voices were united on one channel. I find it a bit ridiculous to have two production teams doing the same job a few meters away one from each other.
Anyway, I agree this year the production standard was a bit lower than usual. To many Crowdstrike pitlane reports jingles too.
Old 14 Jun 2023, 12:54 (Ref:4163670)   #992
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Having three English language commentaries does seem a bit much.

Perhaps RLM/RSL have more creative or editorial freedom doing their own thing rather than being the 'official' comms. (eg. being critical of the forthcoming GT3 class)

I don't mind the sponsored pitlane reports, we are getting the shows for free after all.

Having moaned about the sound levels last week, the preview and scrutineering shows were pretty good, with only a single 'loud bit' at the start.
Old 14 Jun 2023, 15:12 (Ref:4163691)   #993
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post

(Also, there's hundreds, if not thousands, of listeners who will only listen to the RLM content at LM so have no idea of the in jokes about Llamas etc (not sure I get it either)).
Indeed Guy. I don't follow RSL anywhere else nor do I listen to MWM. I'm selfish - I just want pure commentary at Le Mans.....
Old 14 Jun 2023, 18:10 (Ref:4163736)   #994
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Indeed Guy. I don't follow RSL anywhere else nor do I listen to MWM. I'm selfish - I just want pure commentary at Le Mans.....
Long time listener to RLM at the track as not fluent in French and WEC feed wasn't available audio only this year (even if I the data / they had the bandwidth). As ever, frustration at things happening on screen / in front of us not picked up immediately (assisted by the PA commentary going up an octave) tempered by the fact they are not doing a pure race commentary.

The english and french radio signals still bleed into each other around Pit In but assume that is due to the closeness of the frequencies allocated.

Watched FP / quali in UK on Eurosport where WEC team did a good job. For race commentary they are my preference. But it ain't free, effectively wasn't available onsite and RLM is.

HOWEVER, was chuffed to hear my Centenary Moment on RLM at hour 23 - especially as it was the Toyota failure in 2016 which seemed to be at odds with the other more positive moments.
Old 14 Jun 2023, 18:58 (Ref:4163746)   #995
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
Long time listener to RLM at the track as not fluent in French and WEC feed wasn't available audio only this year (even if I the data / they had the bandwidth). As ever, frustration at things happening on screen / in front of us not picked up immediately (assisted by the PA commentary going up an octave) tempered by the fact they are not doing a pure race commentary.

The english and french radio signals still bleed into each other around Pit In but assume that is due to the closeness of the frequencies allocated.

Watched FP / quali in UK on Eurosport where WEC team did a good job. For race commentary they are my preference. But it ain't free, effectively wasn't available onsite and RLM is.

HOWEVER, was chuffed to hear my Centenary Moment on RLM at hour 23 - especially as it was the Toyota failure in 2016 which seemed to be at odds with the other more positive moments.
That was repeated from around midnight. I think they ran them all at least twice.
Old 4 Jul 2023, 21:28 (Ref:4166754)   #996
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Slightly off topic, but having completed a four 24 hour races in four weekends stint (allowing for Ypres 24 Hours Rally heritage), I really did miss English language commentary at Spa for the 24 Hours motos and autos ...
Old 5 Jul 2023, 09:35 (Ref:4166795)   #997
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Yes having just done the le mans classic With no radio le mans coverage (on radio anyway) you find out just how much you miss it
Old 25 Oct 2023, 18:39 (Ref:4182985)   #998
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ELMS no more. Was it the start of the year them stopped the audio feed? Graham and Johnny did the video feed at Portimao.

IMSA next?
https://www.change.org/p/keep-the-ra...-of-imsa-radio

Last edited by TWRv12; 25 Oct 2023 at 18:44.
Old 26 Oct 2023, 12:48 (Ref:4183078)   #999
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wouldn't want to see them leave Le Mans for the tradition and the usability of the FM broadcast.

From an IMSA perspective, it could use a freshening up in my opinion.