Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 25 Jun 2012, 19:36 (Ref:3097966)   #2251
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo S View Post
Unless I've missed it, no one seems to have posted a link to the ACO's actual presentation press release for the 2014 rules proposals. So, here it is:

ACO Tech Regs 2014
You missed it
Old 26 Jun 2012, 06:32 (Ref:3098209)   #2252
Lorenzo S
Racer

England
Dordrecht, the Netherlands
Lorenzo S should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLorenzo S should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
You missed it
Ooops. So I did. Never mind, I thought it was so exciting it was worth repeating...
Old 26 Jun 2012, 08:51 (Ref:3098259)   #2253
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
cdsvg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
one of the main assumptions of the new rules is that speeds/laptimes as they are now, will be maintained. ACO has estimated exact volumes of fuel that they think will be required to complete such laps under such conditions. Time will tell whether they were right. Knowing the innovative and clever engineers that are around these days, I would not be surprised if the currently estimated fuel requirements will prove to be lower than actually needed in order to maintain the current speeds.
But X L per kilometer at LM is different to X L per kilometer at Sebring. They could set different limits for each track, but that sounds tricky at best.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 08:58 (Ref:3098264)   #2254
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsvg View Post
But X L per kilometer at LM is different to X L per kilometer at Sebring. They could set different limits for each track, but that sounds tricky at best.
It has been done before, so it can be done again.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 09:48 (Ref:3098287)   #2255
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsvg View Post
Le Mans being the most thirsty track, as was established here a couple of days ago, will determine the set-up of the engine management. So, hopefully, all cars will run the same set up on each track. All other tracks will not be subject to fuel amount restrictions as during the Group C times, so we might see proper racing also there.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 10:44 (Ref:3098318)   #2256
gucom
Racer

gucom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
do I understand the drawings correctly that there will be BHH's both on top of the fenders and on the insides of the fenders? I thought it was gonna be insides only?
Old 26 Jun 2012, 10:45 (Ref:3098320)   #2257
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't worry. I find the drawing quite confusing as well.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 10:56 (Ref:3098333)   #2258
Lorenzo S
Racer

England
Dordrecht, the Netherlands
Lorenzo S should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLorenzo S should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why are they still insisting on these ugly great holes (and fins) anyway? I was vainly hoping the new regs were going to eliminate these ugly features. That was certainly what the ACO was intimating a while back.

What if the bodywork is high enough between the wheels to prevent these holes or are we doomed to have F1 style pointy monocoques forever?
Old 26 Jun 2012, 11:07 (Ref:3098342)   #2259
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think that engines will must to respect just the LM consumes mandatory, the same set-up will be used for all the other tracks too.

About holes and fins, holes in my opinion are useless if we talk about safety and just add some drag, that is however counterbalanced by the aero development (ts030 and r18 ultra could however reach 330km/h and an oreca 03 during the race touched 320km/h). Fin is maybe usefull at not so high speed, but become useless in high speed crash when air get under the car and the car goes airbone...
Old 26 Jun 2012, 12:31 (Ref:3098396)   #2260
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo S View Post
Why are they still insisting on these ugly great holes (and fins) anyway? I was vainly hoping the new regs were going to eliminate these ugly features.
it seems this is the best they can come up with.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 12:46 (Ref:3098403)   #2261
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gucom View Post
do I understand the drawings correctly that there will be BHH's both on top of the fenders and on the insides of the fenders? I thought it was gonna be insides only?
I believe manufacturers are given the option for hole placement on top or inside the wheel arches in 2014.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 22:02 (Ref:3098686)   #2262
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I believe manufacturers are given the option for hole placement on top or inside the wheel arches in 2014.
Thats really interesting because the Audi R18 already has holes there for the wheels iirc. They saw no need to close it with the bodywork already above it.

Also Toyota had this going with the GT-One where there was the hole on the side of the wheel arch. Not sure if they were big enough though.

Wouldnt a hole in the side breach the regulation of not being able to see any mechanical components in this cae like the suspension arms, brake.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 22:07 (Ref:3098692)   #2263
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What potential other privateer chassis builders could exit in 2014? If Lola does not make it alot of teams are out of luck. Hopefully we get a constructor that builds something with good out of the box performance. I know Lola's aren't that quick.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 22:59 (Ref:3098716)   #2264
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
I know Lola's aren't that quick.
They were quick enough to be the highest placed non Audi at Le Mans this year.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 23:04 (Ref:3098719)   #2265
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
They were quick enough to be the highest placed non Audi at Le Mans this year.
Or in other words, the only petrol car without reliability issues...
Old 26 Jun 2012, 23:11 (Ref:3098721)   #2266
Lasse
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
Lasse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Or in other words, the only petrol car without reliability issues...
Which is a pretty big part of Le Mans no?
Old 26 Jun 2012, 23:20 (Ref:3098722)   #2267
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Never said it wasn't, but I would've loved to have seen a bit bgger counter attack from the opposition as now it just literally was about last man standing... even that old grandfathered dinosaur of Pesca's 01 gave more of a fight for Rebellion than HPDs and co this year
Old 27 Jun 2012, 00:12 (Ref:3098737)   #2268
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Deggis posted an article in the Toyota TS030, in which Yoshiaki Kinoshlta expressed that he was very unhappy with the 2014 rules.

I found another article which explains why Toyota believes that the rules unfair for petrol engines.
Quote:
He explained that the current petrol engines have a fuel efficiency rating of around 38 per cent, but will have to reach 41.5 to race in 2014. "Above 40 or above 41.5 per cent for the gasoline engines is a dream, nobody can achieve it. If you categorise the diesels the target is 42.5 per cent and this number they already achieved 22 years before in diesel."

"It looks fair... It looks like it opens windows, but [the] windows are so small you cannot go into [them]," insisted Kinoshlta.

"The diesel engines target should be more than 45 or 45 per cent, then it's a very fair target. Our target, I cannot reach. Their [diesel] target is under the table."

Simply put, Murata says he wants the efficiency targets in endurance races like Le Mans.

When asked whether he would commit to Toyota being in the 2014 Le Mans without further negotiations over fuel efficiency, Kinoshlta-san was steadfast: "No, I cannot [commit]. What I need is not to benefit for Toyota, but fair technical regulations."

He explained that he wanted the diesel bar raised, not the petrol bar lowered.

So Toyota may have a tough decision ahead. Does it choose World Rally Championship or Le Mans 24-Hour?
source: http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2012...k-to-wrc-30907

Last edited by gwyllion; 27 Jun 2012 at 00:19.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 00:12 (Ref:3098739)   #2269
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is hard to understand... toyota is one of leading manufacter in hybrid technology, i believed that they could be happy of new regulamentation! because of limited consumes, toyota can show how to build a powerfull engine with limited consumes because of an excellent hybrid system. If toyota isn't happy because of the old diesel/petrol question, well, i think that the only reply that audi can give is: are you not happy? power your car with a diesel engine.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 00:23 (Ref:3098740)   #2270
Deleted
Veteran

The problem is that not everyone wants to market diesel. ACO missed a good opportunity now that the regs are changing... they could've just banned diesel altogether, the equivalence is never fair anyway and Audi has made their point.

The revival of fuel formula isn't really the same as it was in Group C.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 00:33 (Ref:3098745)   #2271
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
As a reminder, the following table highlights how much every drive train configuration must be improved in efficiency in order to comply with the targeted fuel allocation.

The reduction in fuel consumption supposedly needs to be bigger for diesel engines (-24%) than for petrol engines (-19%).

In 2012 Audi already improved the fuel consumption for the R18 significantly (10% according to the Audi facts). So the numbers in the table are already outdated: the R18 ultra did 12 laps with 60 liter during the complete 24 hours, so that means 5 liter/lap, whereas the table states 5.26 liter/lap.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 01:08 (Ref:3098751)   #2272
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
As a reminder, the following table highlights how much every drive train configuration must be improved in efficiency in order to comply with the targeted fuel allocation.

The reduction in fuel consumption supposedly needs to be bigger for diesel engines (-24%) than for petrol engines (-19%).

In 2012 Audi already improved the fuel consumption for the R18 significantly (10% according to the Audi facts). So the numbers in the table are already outdated: the R18 ultra did 12 laps with 60 liter during the complete 24 hours, so that means 5 liter/lap, whereas the table states 5.26 liter/lap.
Hence Toyota being upset with the 2014 regs. I see this as a big issue as well.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 01:10 (Ref:3098752)   #2273
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
That's exactly why Toyota is 'complaining'. The target set for the diesels aren't hard at all, but the target set for petrols is without reach (well, within reach, but not to be competitive). I'm sure they'll go back and talk more about the rules. ACO wouldn't be very wise to turn off someone like Toyota who probably have the most knowledge about hybrid power. That goes to say if they aren't happy, what makes anyone think another (non-diesel) manufacturer would be?
Old 27 Jun 2012, 01:40 (Ref:3098762)   #2274
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
If similar unhappy comments do not come from Stuttgart soon, I'm going to start preparing mentally for them coming out with a diesel.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 03:06 (Ref:3098772)   #2275
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Deggis posted an article in the Toyota TS030, in which Yoshiaki Kinoshlta expressed that he was very unhappy with the 2014 rules.

I found another article which explains why Toyota believes that the rules unfair for petrol engines.
source: http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2012...k-to-wrc-30907
I think it's all smoke and mirrors. If you take his numbers than the rules are exactly spot on as a diesel with a 42.5% peak efficiency is thus inherently 11.8% more efficient than a gasoline engine that at its peak is 38% energy efficient. If you look at the fuel flow limits gasoline engines are allowed 22% more fuel flow which accounts for a diesel having 10% more energy per each liter.

However I think his numbers for his own engine are overstated as 38% efficiency is higher than a direct injected gasoline turbo or even an atkinson cycle (like on the Prius) gasoline engine. Likewise 45% peak efficiency for a passenger/ high rev diesel is equally impossible as he wants the 2014 P1 disel to be more efficient than semi truck diesels that only rev to a little over 2,000 RPM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_s..._shaft_engines

PS just read the full article and there are like 20 mentions of Toyota "negotiating" to write the WRC rules to their liking/advantage and marketing desires which is exactly what the Le Mans comments sound like.

Last edited by chewymonster; 27 Jun 2012 at 03:28.