Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 5 Jul 2009, 14:44 (Ref:2496127)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
British F3 to move to three race format?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76714

Sounds like a good move really, the only issue will be the format. Currently both races are 30 minutes - one little issue of the week for me is that junior formulea races are often too short leading to banzai driving.
Old 5 Jul 2009, 17:44 (Ref:2496177)   #2
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reading the press release, it doesn't look like they are changing the length of the race, just running more races.
Old 5 Jul 2009, 17:49 (Ref:2496178)   #3
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That would be unfortunate, really.
Old 5 Jul 2009, 18:20 (Ref:2496200)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
f3 races longer than half an hour are never good. the euroseries does them and also the masters is a long'un and really, there's never any need for the extra time.

back to the 3 race a weekend idea, i think it's excellent. i hope they run with it - it'll help create a usp over the other championships.
Old 6 Jul 2009, 11:10 (Ref:2496493)   #5
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So budgets will be even bigger next year, sounds like a smart move
Old 6 Jul 2009, 11:52 (Ref:2496517)   #6
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Budgets won't increase but races should by 50%. Sounds good to me.
Old 6 Jul 2009, 14:02 (Ref:2496619)   #7
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller View Post
Budgets won't increase but races should by 50%. Sounds good to me.
I agree that it sounds like an excellent idea, but are you sure about budgets not increasing? SRO base their registration fee on track time, so I can see that going up pro-rata, especially as they must be heading for an overall loss this year. It's not F3's fault, but the number of BGT cars is a disgrace, given the amount of track time they get.

One alternative for F3 on the track time issue, would be to have three 20-minute qualifying sessions instead of two 30-minute ones.
Old 6 Jul 2009, 14:55 (Ref:2496654)   #8
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you swap one qualifier for a race then track-time is not affected.
Old 6 Jul 2009, 15:36 (Ref:2496674)   #9
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Only one quali session is needed, just line them up for the second and third race in the order they finished the previous one. Reverse grids if you really must, without it there would be a situation where it would be like one race in three parts, which would be neat. (Of course, if there was 90 minutes of "cake" to cut up, I would go for 60 and 30 minute slices rather than three 30 minute slices but I'm not Mr Honey Badger).
Old 6 Jul 2009, 15:55 (Ref:2496688)   #10
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
Will the poor mechanics get a raise in their pay checks lol. It seems they get the short end of the stick if they don't.
Old 6 Jul 2009, 17:42 (Ref:2496729)   #11
FFmygale
Racer

England
UK
FFmygale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would the qualifying format of Formula Ford not be just as sensible for F3? Race 2 grid based on 2nd fastest qualifying lap, and race 3 grid based on the fastest lap from race 2.
Old 6 Jul 2009, 17:59 (Ref:2496738)   #12
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFmygale View Post
Would the qualifying format of Formula Ford not be just as sensible for F3? Race 2 grid based on 2nd fastest qualifying lap, and race 3 grid based on the fastest lap from race 2.
It's a little confusing for the fans in my opinion. Maybe if Race 2 was based on race 1 fastest lap. I do prefer the previous race result system, like the BTCC has with its three race format but without the reverse grid.
Old 6 Jul 2009, 20:11 (Ref:2496821)   #13
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralta View Post
Will the poor mechanics get a raise in their pay checks lol. It seems they get the short end of the stick if they don't.
I wondered about that. They're certainly going to have to work their nuts off but I expect their contracts say that they should expect to work unsociable hours.

When two races were first introduced into BF3, the format was one qualifying session, with the results of race 1 deciding the grid for race 2.

In practice it didn't work out too well because if for any reason a driver didn't do well in race 1, he was stuffed for race 2 as well. That's why there are currently separate sessions for each race. Ask Dario Franchitti. Yes, it really was that long ago!

I still don't see why SRO should have seemingly embraced the idea unless they see extra money headed their way.
Old 6 Jul 2009, 21:40 (Ref:2496884)   #14
sceptic
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralta View Post
They aren't going to be doing any more work though. Same number of days, and same length days - the curfews see to that..
Old 6 Jul 2009, 21:42 (Ref:2496886)   #15
sceptic
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
It's a little confusing for the fans in my opinion. Maybe if Race 2 was based on race 1 fastest lap. I do prefer the previous race result system, like the BTCC has with its three race format but without the reverse grid.
Why not do what the Ginetta G50 Cup does, and have the second race grid based on second fastest lap, and third race grid on third fastest lap from qualifying.
Old 7 Jul 2009, 06:00 (Ref:2497016)   #16
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to see a return to system that used to operate-heats & a final.Why are there in effect THREE european championships.these could be merged-3 heats at each meeting with a grand final to discover overall winner?
Old 7 Jul 2009, 09:32 (Ref:2497111)   #17
FFmygale
Racer

England
UK
FFmygale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Really!??? Surely its not a difficult concept to grasp?
Old 9 Jul 2009, 14:54 (Ref:2498396)   #18
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
There's a short report in Autosport this week, which I find slightly worrying.

Admittedly they say that the plans have not been finalised and that the first time Ratel heard about it was on Friday afternoon, but the suggestion is that the grid for the third race will be taken from the results of race 2, with the top ten reversed. It will also count for fewer points.

My objections to this are that I dislike reverse grid races in general and, unless they do something strange to the timetable, race three is the mid-Sunday afternoon prime time slot one. I suppose it will become the loads of entertainment and general mayhem one in future.
Old 9 Jul 2009, 21:01 (Ref:2498629)   #19
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Richard B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
They aren't going to be doing any more work though. Same number of days, and same length days - the curfews see to that..
Depends who you are spannering for I guess, replacing 3 front wings rather than 2 clearing out 3 loads of gravel rather than 2....etc etc
Old 10 Jul 2009, 07:33 (Ref:2498811)   #20
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I really started to dislike the previous race result system in my days of karting. Get involved in a start crash or be the first to have a mechanical in race one and your weekend is a loss.

The reverse grid system only used to increase the spectacle, the system is imo unfair. Just imagine yourself being on pace in free practice with your teammate driver x all weekend, both running mid pack. You qualify 13th, X 14th. In race one you have a decent drive finishing 11th while your teammate has a great start passing you and he finishes 10th. Now in race 2 you starth 11th and your teammate on pole? That just does not make any sense at all.

Fairest would imo be to use a qualification session that is long enough to overcome problems to decide the startgrid for all 3 races. Alternative would be the suggestion to use the fastest laps of race 1 for startgrid race 2 (although a crash in turn one gives a problem).
Old 10 Jul 2009, 18:26 (Ref:2499092)   #21
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roninho View Post
The reverse grid system only used to increase the spectacle, the system is imo unfair. Just imagine yourself being on pace in free practice with your teammate driver x all weekend, both running mid pack. You qualify 13th, X 14th. In race one you have a decent drive finishing 11th while your teammate has a great start passing you and he finishes 10th. Now in race 2 you starth 11th and your teammate on pole? That just does not make any sense at all.
Agreed - I hate the idea of reverse grids in GP2, hate it equally in F3. Too contrived, too artificial, IHMO.
Old 11 Jul 2009, 09:50 (Ref:2499379)   #22
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree, they have no place in a real sport.

Gifting a great chance of a win to some hopeless driver who crawled home in 10th place... why would you do that? Supposed 'entertainment value' should never come before keeping motorsport as a meritocracy.
Old 11 Jul 2009, 10:28 (Ref:2499405)   #23
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Partially serious proposal : two 15-minute semi-finals (with each driver racing in one) and one 50 minute final (no tyre stops). Final grid to be determined by semi-final results (winners on the front row, 2nd places on row two etc).
Old 12 Jul 2009, 19:50 (Ref:2500325)   #24
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These proposals need to be considered in conjunction with the changes Ratel has promised the , rapidly declining, competitors of the BGT series, where they have been promised all their tracktime for a weekend on the Saturday and Sunday, and both races will be held on the Sunday.

I can see one or maybe two of the F3 races been relegated to the Saturday.

Idealy SRO would ensure that there were no clashes with the BTCc or the other major British race meetings. Where is the logic of holding a GT race at Knockhill on Le Mans weekend, it automatically causes logistical problems for many of the teams and reduces the potential number of spectators.

It was a real contract been at the 'RPM' run Renault Workd Series event, the me3eting was well run, with a good sensible timetable and event staff who where happy to help competitors and the media. The SRO UK personal would learn a lot from attending one of these events and studying how the 'ROM' organisation run an event.
Old 12 Jul 2009, 20:21 (Ref:2500344)   #25
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Perhaps FOThreeA would have been better served by leaving SRO and coheadlining with the BTCC, as was proposed at one point ...