Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 17 Jul 2016, 22:47 (Ref:3659297)   #26
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
I know, I know but if you start on pole, never get passed on track, never get beaten out of pits and still end up only 8th, then I feel something is not OK.

If you get passed, or have a bad pitstop then it must be far easier to accept defeat.
Now you did everything right and winning/losing is defined by a simple matter of luck.

I know it's the same for everyone, but I find it hard to enjoy that aspect of Indycar racing.

Every racing series has its weaknesses and to me this in one of Indycar's...
Old 17 Jul 2016, 23:13 (Ref:3659299)   #27
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
so the driver who dominated qualifying and the start of the race finishes 8th without doing any mistakes. Just because some guys pitted just before an accident and he didn't.

I feel something is not right here...
This happens a lot in Indycar. Oddly, ever since Will Power called for virtual safety cars to be implemented to prevent this sort of thing, he seems to have benefited from it the most. But looking over the last few years he has been hurt by it more than anyone else, often dominating the early stages of a race only to end up mid field due to this kind of thing.

I think one thing they've learned is, the second you're within your fuel window, pit! Even if you have to conserve fuel a little bit afterwards, it's not worth the gamble.

Any way congratulations to Will Power getting it done anyway. That's 3 wins and a 2nd the last 4 races.
Old 18 Jul 2016, 00:46 (Ref:3659306)   #28
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I think he was trying to stay on the lead lap. Guess that's allowed then?
Should it be though?

I mean when the leader has to take risks and dive bomb to try and pass 21st I don't think this is great.

The result hurts for Dixon and I think more than supports the discussion for Code 60 / Virtual Safety Car. However Dixon should recall how a timely safety car scrolled him to the lead in Sonoma last year.
Old 18 Jul 2016, 01:41 (Ref:3659316)   #29
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
There's no real need for blue flags. Blue flags should be applied to fellows two laps plus behind if they are obstructive. Otherwise if they are slow enough, they'll eventually succumb to the non-blocking rule, if they are fast enough they have a legitimate chance of a strong placing and therefore a legitimate entitlement to staying on the lead lap. This is stuff leaders need to manage and not simply have handed them.
Old 18 Jul 2016, 03:54 (Ref:3659329)   #30
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe just me but at Pheonix and Toronto today I hate see the leader backed up in slower traffic which the guy in 22nd blocking and defending lines. That isnt racing.

If it was a wide open track and the cars not so aero dependant that might be a different story.
Old 18 Jul 2016, 11:19 (Ref:3659382)   #31
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Result:

1 Will Power, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. 1h42m38.6925s
2 Helio Castroneves, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. 1.5275s
3 James Hinchcliffe, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. Dallara/Honda. 2.5303s
4 Tony Kanaan, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 3.7758s
5 Takuma Sato, AJ Foyt Enterprises. Dallara/Honda. 4.0568s
6 Mikhail Aleshin, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. Dallara/Honda. 5.1145s
7 Sebastien Bourdais, KVSH Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 5.6393s
8 Scott Dixon, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 6.1020s
9 Simon Pagenaud, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. 6.6355s
10 Marco Andretti, Andretti Autosport. Dallara/Honda. 6.9746s
11 Charlie Kimball, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 7.4782s
12 Ryan Hunter-Reay, Andretti Autosport. Dallara/Honda. 8.0690s
13 Graham Rahal, Rahal Letterman Lanigan. Dallara/Honda. 8.5989s
14 Luca Filippi, Dale Coyne Racing. Dallara/Honda. 8.9217s
15 Conor Daly, Dale Coyne Racing. Dallara/Honda. 9.4068s
16 Alexander Rossi, Andretti Herta. Dallara/Honda. 9.6896s
17 Carlos Munoz, Andretti Autosport. Dallara/Honda. 10.0568s
18 Max Chilton, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 10.6502s
19 Spencer Pigot, Ed Carpenter Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 11.4494s
20 Juan Pablo Montoya, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. 1 Lap
21 Jack Hawksworth, AJ Foyt Enterprises. Dallara/Honda. Contact
22 Josef Newgarden, Ed Carpenter Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. Contact
Old 18 Jul 2016, 18:52 (Ref:3659449)   #32
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Nice battles along the field. Toronto has been more entertaining than other recent road/street races.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
The result hurts for Dixon and I think more than supports the discussion for Code 60 / Virtual Safety Car.

However Dixon should recall how a timely safety car scrolled him to the lead in Sonoma last year.
I totally agree.
Old 18 Jul 2016, 23:30 (Ref:3659484)   #33
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Maybe just me but at Pheonix and Toronto today I hate see the leader backed up in slower traffic which the guy in 22nd blocking and defending lines. That isnt racing.

If it was a wide open track and the cars not so aero dependant that might be a different story.
It's a part of racing, navigating obstacles and handling traffic.
Old 19 Jul 2016, 01:06 (Ref:3659500)   #34
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
It's a part of racing, navigating obstacles and handling traffic.
Agree however navigating a car at the back of the field driving defensively and blocking is not motor racing. Not saying they should pull off the road but RHR was all over the track to keep Dixon behind
Old 19 Jul 2016, 16:30 (Ref:3659614)   #35
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Back from Upstate New York.

It looks like the revised lap length figure being used for the new layout is 1.786 miles, and seeing the changes, it does make sense that this layout would be slightly longer.

I'm just trying to catch up on everything I wanted to follow the last two weekends.
Old 19 Jul 2016, 18:12 (Ref:3659632)   #36
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Agree however navigating a car at the back of the field driving defensively and blocking is not motor racing. Not saying they should pull off the road but RHR was all over the track to keep Dixon behind
RH-R hasn't been having a good time of it and though I don't think his driving was quite as bad as all that, it seems somewhat symptomatic of the season he's been having.
Old 19 Jul 2016, 18:37 (Ref:3659635)   #37
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Did anyone set a faster time than Dixon's 59.907 in an earlier part of Qualifying?
Old 20 Jul 2016, 13:50 (Ref:3659771)   #38
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLightJaguar View Post
The track itself is 'broken'.
A small piece of it hit me in the cheek. :P

In other news, here's a selection of photos from the weekend for everyone's enjoyment:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ricard...57670503114392

Lots more from the team at

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hondaindy

Cheers,
Richard.
Old 20 Jul 2016, 14:56 (Ref:3659782)   #39
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Dear Richard, would you post some of those beautiful photos on Wikimedia Commons with a free licence?
Old 20 Jul 2016, 15:54 (Ref:3659796)   #40
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Did anyone set a faster time than Dixon's 59.907 in an earlier part of Qualifying?
Have you tried Crash.Net? They are usually good, for a break down of Qualifying.
Old 21 Jul 2016, 14:09 (Ref:3659935)   #41
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
This link has all results, from P1 to the race itself.

http://www.flashscore.com/auto-racin...-indy-toronto/
Old 21 Jul 2016, 14:42 (Ref:3659942)   #42
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Thank you for that.

It looks like Power did indeed have a faster lap in Group 1 of Q1, at a 59.775.
Old 21 Jul 2016, 22:11 (Ref:3660035)   #43
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Dear Richard, would you post some of those beautiful photos on Wikimedia Commons with a free licence?
Unfortunately, I can't. Self-promotion (e.g. on my own Flickr, website, whatever) is ok, but I can't assign the rights. Thank you for the kind words though.
Old 22 Jul 2016, 21:25 (Ref:3660222)   #44
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
In other news, here's a selection of photos from the weekend for everyone's enjoyment:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ricard...57670503114392
Thanks for uploading. Weather looked much more pleasant this year compared to what it was during my trip in 2015.
Old 27 Jul 2016, 01:09 (Ref:3661389)   #45
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLightJaguar View Post
Thanks for uploading. Weather looked much more pleasant this year compared to what it was during my trip in 2015.
A few more up now, probably nearing the end for the moment.

It was hot but not unbearable. Little sprinkles of rain at one point early in the weekend but nothing much. Yes, you caught some bad weather (hence my oh-so-stylish rain poncho getup when we met!). It was really terrible in 2014, pouring on Saturday and miserable much of Sunday too. This year was a pleasant change.

Cheers,
Richard.