Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Dec 2009, 20:55 (Ref:2596900)   #1
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bundy Red success

In these difficult times for sponsorship it is good to quote a success story:

GLOBAL distiller Diageo will use a new portfolio of premium spirit brands and the rising popularity of cocktails to increase earnings in Australia after the introduction of the alcopops tax and shifting consumer tastes slashed local profit by 25 per cent.

It has released Bundaberg Red, an extra-smooth rum, to attract new drinkers and will pursue other ideas to tempt drinkers back to spirits.

Managing director Tim Salt said ready-to-drink (RTD) cocktail mixes were proving increasingly popular.

Diageo Australia, which owns brands such as Bundaberg Rum, Smirnoff, Johnnie Walker, Baileys and Guinness, posted a net profit of $36.7 million for the year to June 30, down from a profit of $48.49 million in 2007-08. Revenue was down $44.5 million, or 8 per cent, to $520.3 million.

Mr Salt said Diageo Australia's results reflected 10 months of the Federal Government's alcopops tax.

''What you are seeing there is two things working in different directions: RTD sales going down around mid-20 per cent; and then as a result of that, people moving out of RTD and moving into bottled spirits.''

Diageo Australia witnessed 15 to 16 per cent growth in the sale of bottled spirits after the alcopops tax came in, but the gains were not enough to offset the dip in RTD sales.

Consumers were switching back to RTDs, with that segment of its business returning to historic premium growth rates of about 10 per cent and sales of bottled spirits retreating to low single-digit figures.

Mr Salt said that a new class of ready-to-serve drinks, based on its popular brands such as Smirnoff, was selling well.

''It fits in with one of the trends that we are seeing, which is that people are starting to drink a little more at home, and through the cocktail we are allowing them to have a cocktail occasion at home.''

Lets hope the V8 Supercar sponsorship is seen to have played its part.

Note to pro racer who has been tipping Bundy sponsorship since he was in nappies: I dips me lid, you were right, ring this mob & ask them what advice they need & mail them a bill !!

Last edited by cavvy; 9 Dec 2009 at 21:00. Reason: acknowlege pro racer & his marketing talent
Old 9 Dec 2009, 21:00 (Ref:2596902)   #2
Armageddon
Racer

Australia
Orange NSW
Armageddon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a few rumours floating around at Homebush that we might see two Bundy cars next year, one Bundy Red the other Bundy Gold.....
Old 10 Dec 2009, 00:37 (Ref:2597037)   #3
applecart
Rookie

applecart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
surely exposure through motorsport has assisted with this, not just the V8SC sponsorship, but they also had a fairly large presence at the F1GP - thats where i first got hooked on the new extra smooth rum

what is the future for alcohol sponsorship in sport though?
Old 10 Dec 2009, 04:55 (Ref:2597104)   #4
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by applecart View Post

what is the future for alcohol sponsorship in sport though?
Off the top of my head these are the brands involved.

XXXX
JimBeam
Jack Daniels
Bundaberg Rum
Victoria Bitter
Sirromet (I think?)

Plus BottleO and BWS (or are they gone now?)

While the money being injected into the sport is great, there is already talk in the media about banning alcohol sponsorship from sport. Like cigarette sponsorship in the 90's this media talk is only going to get louder and louder.

I wouldn't be suprised if we see something in place in the next few years that will see the phasing out of alcohol sponsorship like they did with the smokes.

Imagine the field day the media and dogooder groups would have if a DJR or Kelly Racing driver were caught drink driving.
Old 10 Dec 2009, 08:18 (Ref:2597143)   #5
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
madman16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Might be good to get them in the papers more often. Endless scandal doesn't seem to hurt the football codes. Maybe v8sc need whincup or someone to go on a sex rampage in every state, that will get it in the news
Old 11 Dec 2009, 04:01 (Ref:2597686)   #6
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bundy put up

Bundy are sponsoring 2 x Walkinshaw cars in 2010, so I'd say its an acknowledgement they are happy with the results of the 09 sponsorship.

Shame Dave Reynolds has been missed out on a full time gig.
Old 11 Dec 2009, 11:27 (Ref:2597839)   #7
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who would have thunk that Dave would lose his ride as part of the success of Bundy Red Racing! Thommo, you would want to do well!!
Old 11 Dec 2009, 12:43 (Ref:2597861)   #8
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
$? Thommo seems to be pretty good, with WP tutition you'd think he would be turning fast laps, consistently, at every track in fairly little time.
Old 11 Dec 2009, 22:32 (Ref:2598190)   #9
Ratster70
Rookie

Australia
Sunny coast
Ratster70 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would love to see the traditional black and gold bundy setup on the second car next year knows which car id be following if they do
Old 12 Dec 2009, 00:54 (Ref:2598254)   #10
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
bahhhh Not happy Dave reynolds has been let go

I guess I am bias as he is a local boy from my town , started racing at my local kart track and I know his father and brother fairly well , so I have been supporting him all year and think he did a very good job , you could clearly see his development and improvement during the year and didnt get into too much trouble really.

So I think its a bad move to drop him from a full time ride as he would only get better next year for sure.

anyway the Bundy Red name has moved onward and upward this year so hopefully they can improve even more next year
Old 12 Dec 2009, 03:10 (Ref:2598310)   #11
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
madman16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed, not happy that Mr Reynolds has been stood down after one season. I really thought that he was a driver on the rise now he's forced to wait his turn again.

Nothing against Thommo though as i think he may be good as well. Just preferred Reynolds
Old 12 Dec 2009, 22:29 (Ref:2598679)   #12
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm certainly surprised Reynolds got the boot, given his performances at the end of the year. Not his fault the car broke too many times.
Old 12 Dec 2009, 22:57 (Ref:2598690)   #13
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we can only imagione how many of the items that broke were development items for the HRT cars???