Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 May 2013, 22:37 (Ref:3245902)   #1
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sandown - advice please

Hi all,

Planning the trip to Sandown this year, would appreciate some help/advice with recommendations for accomodation, parking etc. Is it best to stay close to the track or is it not really an issue?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 11 May 2013, 23:40 (Ref:3245915)   #2
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklegend View Post
Hi all,

Planning the trip to Sandown this year, would appreciate some help/advice with recommendations for accomodation, parking etc. Is it best to stay close to the track or is it not really an issue?

Thanks for your help in advance.
part of this would depend on your goals of the trip. if it is solely race related then stay close. But otherwise stay in Melbourne. Its about a 30 min drive. there is accommodation in the area, but cant offer you advice as i have never stayed there. The train also goes to the track from Melbourne if you wanted to have a few drinks

There is heaps of parking at the track, usually it clears within about 30 mins after the race.

Its also possible to drive your car into the track and park it in an area you can view the track from, but get there early for that.
Old 12 May 2013, 00:27 (Ref:3245928)   #3
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Went there about 6yrs ago from Brissy stayed in city caught train to/from track rather than drive, saved on rental car cost. Found it easier to find cheap accommodation in the city.
Old 12 May 2013, 03:03 (Ref:3245974)   #4
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been there a couple of times and like others, I stayed in Melbourne and drove to the track. I found the parking and traffic flow to be very good. The drive there is easy and when you are done, you can enjoy what the city has to offer.
Old 12 May 2013, 08:38 (Ref:3246020)   #5
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just remember that the 500 is right in the heart of AFL Finals season and if you want to guarantee a decent room anywhere in Melbourne you'd be better to book now.
I would agree stay in Melbourne and catch the train out. There's nothing to do out here at night apart from getting into bar fights or buying or selling drugs.'
Old 12 May 2013, 08:50 (Ref:3246023)   #6
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks guys, doing the drive from the ACT just for the race weekend so no special needs, other than a few good restaurant and pubs.
Old 12 May 2013, 10:26 (Ref:3246078)   #7
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks guys, doing the drive from the ACT just for the race weekend so no special needs, other than a few good restaurant and pubs.
Based on those statements, stay in city that way you will in the heart of what you need.
Old 12 May 2013, 10:59 (Ref:3246091)   #8
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane View Post
I would agree stay in Melbourne and catch the train out. There's nothing to do out here at night apart from getting into bar fights or buying or selling drugs.'
Talking from personal experience?

Old 12 May 2013, 13:13 (Ref:3246154)   #9
bortall
Racer

Australia
West Gippsland
bortall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't forget every night the ferals at Maccas just down the road!!
Old 12 May 2013, 22:13 (Ref:3246444)   #10
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortall View Post
Don't forget every night the ferals at Maccas just down the road!!
Micklegend. these guys are talking about Dandenong which is just down the road. Well know for its street races and very multicultural area.

Stick to Melbourne (or st kilda if you like the beach) for accom is probably my tip
Old 13 May 2013, 00:30 (Ref:3246473)   #11
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There's nothing to do out here at night apart from getting into bar fights or buying or selling drugs.'
And parts of the CBD are any better than what you'll find within 10-15km radius of Sandown???

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
Micklegend. these guys are talking about Dandenong which is just down the road. Well know for its street races and very multicultural area.
Stick to Melbourne (or st kilda if you like the beach) for accom is probably my tip
Dandy Road is basically a drag strip from about Chadstone out past Dandenong.

St Kilda beach?? If there's a place that has more bar fights, drugs, shooting, whores and the rest, it's St Kilda. Wouldn't stay there if someone paid me and for the accomodation.
Old 13 May 2013, 00:49 (Ref:3246476)   #12
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Avoid catching the train to the track. Even thou the train station is right there, you'll more than likely get done by the ticketing system in Melbourne. My Uncle was out from the UK recently and he ended up using one of my siblings Myki cards as it was too much of a process to set one up for 3 weeks. Look up the Myki system and you'll probably notice you'll fork out a small amount each day just getting to the track. Then again if you don't mind doing that, and want to enjoy some cold beverages, probably the best way to go.

As for accomodation....you'll find some accomodation in the suburb of Glen Waverley, about 10-15min north of the track. There's also the suburbs of Oakleigh/Chadstone, which is to the west and about the same time or bit more. You could go west towards Dandenong, but as suggested it's a rough suburb. There's nothing much out there in terms of night life other than a lot of ethic based eateries, and finding one that won't kill you can be a hastle.

You can choose to stay in Melbourne CBD, but I would suggest staying on the eastern side of the CBD. We have a serviced apartments chain down here called Punt Hill, which have a number of locations on the eastern side of town. There's a few others you might find on the old internet.

I hope this helps, but feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Old 13 May 2013, 02:13 (Ref:3246505)   #13
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a Ibis Budget (formally Formule 1) motel just down the road towards Dandenong, cheap as but comfortable enough

http://accorhotels.com.au/hotel/ibis-budget-dandenong
Old 13 May 2013, 04:57 (Ref:3246531)   #14
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Just remember that the 500 is right in the heart of AFL Finals season and if you want to guarantee a decent room anywhere in Melbourne you'd be better to book now.
No reason you can't make a profit on your motorsport weekends...
Old 13 May 2013, 05:20 (Ref:3246538)   #15
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are a few options and Dandenong is not as bad as people are making it out to be….it’s only around the train station at night that it is dodgy. Some great Afghan food can be found in Dandenong.

Given you are going to have a car with you this is still the best way to get to Sandown for Sandown Park train station access to has been closed for years….the nearest stops are Sandown & Springvale but it would be a fair walk.

If you stay at The Glen at least you have a Novotel and cinemas, restaurants at night etc…... If the budget is tight you can stay along Princess Highway around Noble Park & Harrisfield there are a few budget chains.

Car parking @ Sandown is a breeze….for the 500 they even open up the back straight to cobs flag point and you have car access there too.

Pity they don’t have access to turn one anymore….sometimes even though I paid for entry I would drive down to turn one for State rounds but now they use it to save time and return cars to the pits via the car park.
Old 13 May 2013, 08:01 (Ref:3246591)   #16
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPA View Post
Sandown Park train station access to has been closed for years….
Since when??

The public using the trains each day park their cars in the car park alongside the train line on the race track side of the rail line and the pedestrian gate is open when events are on so you can walk in.

Sandown doesn't open the vehicle gates off Springvale Rd (Sandown Rd) or Corrigan Rd (Alamien St??) during car events due to Council Traffic restrictions to keep the local residents happy.

The only way into the front straight part of the track is via the Overpass on Dandenong Rd (Princes Highway), same entrance from Dandy Rd to Causeway spectator area. Access to the Back Straight is off Corrigan Rd.
Old 13 May 2013, 09:23 (Ref:3246616)   #17
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
thanks again guys, got a place in st kilda which has good reviews, and happy to stay around some interesting activity, have stayed at a hotel next to the crazy horse for clipsal, so that should speak for itself!
thanks for the tip on vehicle access too, so dandenong rd is the only way in? going to get grandstand tickets due to the odd weather occasionally there, so any tips again on the best place in the stand will be good for when the tickets are released.
Old 13 May 2013, 09:35 (Ref:3246623)   #18
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands

Last edited by peckstar; 13 May 2013 at 09:38. Reason: dreaded double post
Old 13 May 2013, 09:38 (Ref:3246625)   #19
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
thanks again guys, got a place in st kilda which has good reviews, and happy to stay around some interesting activity, have stayed at a hotel next to the crazy horse for clipsal, so that should speak for itself!
thanks for the tip on vehicle access too, so dandenong rd is the only way in? going to get grandstand tickets due to the odd weather occasionally there, so any tips again on the best place in the stand will be good for when the tickets are released.
If your sitting in the grandstand then there is the main entrance , which is off Dandenong road (Princes Highway) the bulk of the car parking is right in near the grandstand (no cost)

You can reserve a seat in the grandstand, which last year included a pit walk. But a big chunk of the grandstand is available for the normal General admission price (but no pit walk)

The grandstand has lots of displays and merchandise just behind it. (including food and bar etc. You dont queue for the toilets at the grandstand becasue it has a stack of them. its also a short walk to the pits, if your interested in doing that

If your staying in St kilda, which has cleaned up a bit, take the opportunity to drive the GP track as it is right there
Old 13 May 2013, 09:55 (Ref:3246636)   #20
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But don't sit in the grandstand.

Dandy Road right next to the big tree is the best spot.
Old 13 May 2013, 13:26 (Ref:3246736)   #21
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Happy Hour at the St Kilda RSL 5pm-7pm Friday.

We spent Saturday in the stand and Sunday over the back. I still reckon that run down the hill into Dandy Rd is as good a place to watch motor racing as any in Australia.....
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 13 May 2013, 22:25 (Ref:3246974)   #22
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was talking of the old underpass and gates direct to Sandown. But yes you can get off @ Sandown and walk
Old 14 May 2013, 00:23 (Ref:3247022)   #23
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sitting in the grandstand for a race start has the best atmosphere of any motor racing event anywhere... love the reaction from the crowd when there's a bit of on-track action.
Old 14 May 2013, 00:49 (Ref:3247032)   #24
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test View Post
Sitting in the grandstand for a race start has the best atmosphere of any motor racing event anywhere... love the reaction from the crowd when there's a bit of on-track action.
agreed, plus the advantage of the big screens
Old 14 May 2013, 02:52 (Ref:3247067)   #25
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
agreed, plus the advantage of the big screens
That said, Dandy Road is a wicked piece of road... maybe qualifying from there, race from the stand?

The wet races at Sandown a couple of years ago were epic from the grand stand...