Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 27 Jul 2005, 21:36 (Ref:1365070)   #1
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
IRL quality of drivers?

Is the IRL an easy series to enter. I mean is it like you turn up with a few $$$$ and your in a seat somwhere?
Old 27 Jul 2005, 23:16 (Ref:1365131)   #2
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't belive so.

I think basicly that there is alot of manufacturer money in the series, which, good or bad the "other" series doesn't have, and all this manufacturer money means that there arn't as many pay drivers as the "other series" in my humble opinion.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 23:30 (Ref:1365137)   #3
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Look at their line-up and for the overwhelming majority of the teams, they have solid drivers....

Manning was the first driver pulled from a seat this season that wasn't due to injury...

Other series (sportscars, OWRS, some stock car teams) have fired or released drivers from rides very early on in the season...

I think that some guys are less quality that others...and some may not belong...but I also think you could say that about any series...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 28 Jul 2005, 02:27 (Ref:1365194)   #4
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that being said, show up with money, and Dryer & Reinbold or Fernandez will field an extra car for you or you could buy Patrick's cars & equipment (they're still for sale) or a team like Playa Del Racing or Schmidt would be glad to run a full-season program if you come with sponsorship.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 05:51 (Ref:1365256)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No more so than in any other form of racing though.

The top 10-15 IRL drivers are very good.

Some of the remainder are very bad.

But the overall level is solid.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 09:02 (Ref:1365356)   #6
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like any other championship really. There's a top echelon, filling the top 10-13 places, and from then on there may be pay drivers. Or not.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 10:15 (Ref:1365391)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No matter how much money you bring, and how desperate a team is for it, you still have to pass a rookie test to be allowed onto the grid, so it isn't easy at all. This year's grid has drivers who've succeeded in ChampCars, F3000, Atlantics, Formula Nippon, DTM, US FFord, MIPS, World Series, and basically everything except Formula 1. A few of the guys down the grid are there because they have more money than other would-be drivers, but nobody's further off the pace than some of the F1 pay-drivers this year.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 13:04 (Ref:1365554)   #8
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well said boots
Old 28 Jul 2005, 13:10 (Ref:1365560)   #9
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a very difficult series to get into, and an ever harder one to stay in. Drivers who haven't achieved anything elsewhere have little chance no matter how much money they bring. Dan,if you're looking to build a career with money but no talent, try another series.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 13:18 (Ref:1365574)   #10
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
No matter how much money you bring, and how desperate a team is for it, you still have to pass a rookie test to be allowed onto the grid, so it isn't easy at all. This year's grid has drivers who've succeeded in ChampCars, F3000, Atlantics, Formula Nippon, DTM, US FFord, MIPS, World Series, and basically everything except Formula 1. A few of the guys down the grid are there because they have more money than other would-be drivers, but nobody's further off the pace than some of the F1 pay-drivers this year.
I don't think that last sentence is very accurate. (After all, if some guys are 4 seconds off the pace in qualifying in F1, it is because of the car. That doesn't happen in IRL or Champ Car because there's more parity of chassis and engines)
Old 28 Jul 2005, 17:09 (Ref:1365750)   #11
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As Boots said, the bulk of the field now is very good, with proven track records in various series - CCWS, F3000, Atlantics, F3 etc. In terms of strength in depth IRL IndyCar has never had it so good. That wasn't the case in the first five or six years, when far too many nobodies filled out the entry lists.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 19:27 (Ref:1365893)   #12
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
true Jondownunder but strangely enough thats the way i preferred it

I loved seeing the Billy Boats, Jimmy Kites and the dave Kudraves of this world have a go at a top echelon of the sport.

some may ***** and moan abouyt the quality of drivers but frankly they havent seen the cockpit of a race car themselves and wouldnt know squat.

unless you have raced competively i dont think you have a right to comment on a drivers ability at all.

some of the guys down the back of the grid may not be race winners but they would blow any single one of us away in a heartbeat in any race car (unless your Michael Schumacher posting in disguise)

in any race someone has to finish last but he is still a very good driver even if he paid to get there.

I think the IRL is a good example of drivers with some good talent in various classes coming together and providing some very exciting racing.

they all are welcome there and deserving to be tere in my books (and I have raced competitively for the past 6 years )
Old 28 Jul 2005, 19:30 (Ref:1365899)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've never played music, but I have opinions on what's good and what's not.

I've never been a footballer, but I have opinions on who's good and who's not.

I've never been a professional racing driver, but I have opinions on who's good or not.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 19:38 (Ref:1365918)   #14
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
fair points KB
Old 28 Jul 2005, 19:53 (Ref:1365941)   #15
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that we have every right to complain if a driver is not doing well, especially when there are better drivers who we support that are unable to enter the formula due to the poor driver's presence and I would stick to this view not just when discussing the IRL.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 28 Jul 2005, 20:12 (Ref:1365970)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordi
I don't think that last sentence is very accurate. (After all, if some guys are 4 seconds off the pace in qualifying in F1, it is because of the car. That doesn't happen in IRL or Champ Car because there's more parity of chassis and engines)
Fair point, although the non-Penske Toyotas are probably 3-5% off the ultimate pace.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 16:03 (Ref:1366682)   #17
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus
(unless your Michael Schumacher posting in disguise)
Oh No! They're on to me!

Quickly! Ralf, to the Batmobile!

*speedsway*