Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 7 Jun 2017, 09:20 (Ref:3739191)   #401
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-star View Post
what's the forum punishment for telling fibs?
Not a fib just a complete and utter failure on my behalf to check my posts over before posting it without my glasses on
Old 7 Jun 2017, 11:39 (Ref:3739213)   #402
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
Okay I've had my say on that other stuff and that's cleared up. So I just wanted to ask if anyone else has heard the rumours that agt may be up for sale soon with Supercars being a prime suitor?
Old 8 Jun 2017, 07:30 (Ref:3739414)   #403
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS2244 View Post
anyone else has heard the rumours that agt may be up for sale soon with Supercars being a prime suitor?
Where did you hear that?
Old 8 Jun 2017, 07:46 (Ref:3739418)   #404
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
Where did you hear that?
TQ's category management agreement with CAMS runs out at the end of this year.
When in the last 20 years has CAMS not given Supercars whatever they want?
Old 8 Jun 2017, 07:49 (Ref:3739421)   #405
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
Quote:
Where did you hear that?
I got told by a very reliable source that TQ may sell the category to Supercars if they match his asking price. Theres also seemingly a lot of discontent floating around amongst teams predominately due to the whole fiasco that transpired earlier this year with the calendar problems hence resulting in the lower grid numbers. Personally I'm going to give this more time for details to furthermore materialise but it seems like a genuine possibility at the moment from what I've been told. Supercars would certainly want to snap it up as potential collateral if Gen2 fails so they aren't lost without a cause and it's another asset in their portfolio to market during its sale.
Old 8 Jun 2017, 11:05 (Ref:3739450)   #406
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
TQ has made money in lots of things because he is not a nuff nuff, if someone is willing to pay his price, he will do it for sure.

I just wonder what the bigger game is here.
Old 8 Jun 2017, 11:06 (Ref:3739451)   #407
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS2244 View Post
I got told by a very reliable source that TQ may sell the category to Supercars if they match his asking price. Theres also seemingly a lot of discontent floating around amongst teams predominately due to the whole fiasco that transpired earlier this year with the calendar problems hence resulting in the lower grid numbers. Personally I'm going to give this more time for details to furthermore materialise but it seems like a genuine possibility at the moment from what I've been told. Supercars would certainly want to snap it up as potential collateral if Gen2 fails so they aren't lost without a cause and it's another asset in their portfolio to market during its sale.
Interesting. I've heard quite a bit more, so I'll let you give this the time you require before indulging you too much
Old 8 Jun 2017, 11:25 (Ref:3739454)   #408
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
Quote:
Interesting. I've heard quite a bit more, so I'll let you give this the time you require before indulging you too much
I giving the potential sale more time to gain traction and more facts to substantiate, that's what I meant
Old 9 Jun 2017, 13:46 (Ref:3739698)   #409
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
TQ's category management agreement with CAMS runs out at the end of this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS2244
got told by a very reliable source that TQ may sell the category to Supercars if they match his asking price
If TQ's category management agreement with CAMS runs out at the end of this year, Supercars (or whoever) wouldn't need to buy anything off TQ would they, they would be negotiating with CAMS to take over from 2018 onwards correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Good point
Old 30 Jun 2017, 08:04 (Ref:3747911)   #410
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
MARC M6 Still For Sale
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 30 Jun 2017, 09:25 (Ref:3747925)   #411
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Conservatively $450k AUD, and a "significant" saving off new price...
Old 30 Jun 2017, 11:07 (Ref:3747941)   #412
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2017 Australian GT Championship

This series seems to fizzle out through the year every time.

Lots of good racing early on then lots of gaps

Edit: I get the Southern Hemisphere is in winter now... should it be a cross year calendar like Asian Le Mans does?
Old 30 Jun 2017, 12:11 (Ref:3747955)   #413
Mixer
Veteran

Not sure if there is discussion elsewhere:

Quote:
Challenge Bathurst organisers intend to appeal a decision from the Confederation of Australian Motor Sport which effectively bans GT3 cars from competing at its event.
The Mount Panorama sprint meeting, held in November, is seen as an unofficial test for Bathurst 12 Hour teams, attracting several GT3 crews aiming to accrue valuable track miles ahead of the February showpiece.
http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/06/29/...l-cams-gt-ban/

I can't see what CAMS is 'protecting' by this change.

Lately they have made some mystifying decisions, but what is the harm in having GT3 cars competing at events like Challenge Bathurst?

Surely if there's a problem there the event promoter can make the call on eligibility?
Old 1 Jul 2017, 23:49 (Ref:3748210)   #414
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The motivations of CAMS over recent decisions relating to GT3 need to be put under the microscope: at best they seem very narrow focused in their decisions, at worst, well, they seem like they are making decisions to jeopardize one of the more professional motorsport categories in Australia...
Old 2 Jul 2017, 06:48 (Ref:3748242)   #415
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
The motivations of CAMS over recent decisions relating to GT3 need to be put under the microscope: at best they seem very narrow focused in their decisions, at worst, well, they seem like they are making decisions to jeopardize one of the more professional motorsport categories in Australia...
Agreed - the competitors in unison are against the move. It is hard to understand CAMS motivation here.

As a side - why are GT3 cars currently exempt to compete in Bathurst 12 Hours but not challenge Bathurst?
Old 2 Jul 2017, 08:12 (Ref:3748248)   #416
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
As a side - why are GT3 cars currently exempt to compete in Bathurst 12 Hours but not challenge Bathurst?
CAMS seems to make the distinction between National and State events.

I wonder whether there is a safety related angle here.
Old 2 Jul 2017, 08:38 (Ref:3748250)   #417
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't keep up with Australian motorsport much, but whenever I do look at the threads, there always seems to be a big political scandal involving an organiser or promoter, and it's usually CAMS.

From an outside perspective, this latest situation seems completely mad to me, but made 10 times worse by lack of communication. Nobody knows why the decision is made, therefore you can't make a solid argument back, and it just becomes an angry mess.
Old 2 Jul 2017, 21:30 (Ref:3748532)   #418
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
From an outside perspective, this latest situation seems completely mad to me, but made 10 times worse by lack of communication. Nobody knows why the decision is made, therefore you can't make a solid argument back, and it just becomes an angry mess.
Nail, head. That has often been the issue with CAMS operations over the decades - it's actually amazing how different people in different "regimes" keep doing things the same way, must be a set of instructions on a wall or something.
Old 3 Jul 2017, 01:39 (Ref:3748557)   #419
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I don't keep up with Australian motorsport much, but whenever I do look at the threads, there always seems to be a big political scandal involving an organiser or promoter, and it's usually CAMS.

Confederation Against Motor Sport as they're known down here thanks to their history of stupid decisions involving numerous categories.
Old 3 Jul 2017, 08:26 (Ref:3748578)   #420
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
does this actually make any difference to anything?

not many Gt3 did Challenge last year and really they were a bit out of place anyway.
Old 3 Jul 2017, 09:55 (Ref:3748590)   #421
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
does this actually make any difference to anything?

not many Gt3 did Challenge last year and really they were a bit out of place anyway.

It makes a huge difference. Challenge should be open to anyone and everyone as the organisers see fit. CAMS in their infinite wisdom should not have any say in the matter. There might not have been many GT3 cars in the field last year but they should be welcome like everyone else, I think you would be the only person I've seen that thinks they're out of place at the event.
Old 3 Jul 2017, 10:53 (Ref:3748603)   #422
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Part of the attraction and popularity of "Challenge Bathurst" is that no car is out of place....
......until CAMS made this decision
Old 3 Jul 2017, 10:54 (Ref:3748604)   #423
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
It makes a huge difference. Challenge should be open to anyone and everyone as the organisers see fit. CAMS in their infinite wisdom should not have any say in the matter. There might not have been many GT3 cars in the field last year but they should be welcome like everyone else, I think you would be the only person I've seen that thinks they're out of place at the event.
20 seconds faster than the average car that was taking part is why i say they are out of place.

Is it fair that some cars get an advantage by having a test day, is it a coincidence that the 2 of the top 3 in qualyfying at the 12 hour took place in the Challenge. thus going forward its a must for 12 hour competitors

Does it matter if Gt3 dont take part in Challenge, surely its intention is for average Joe(or slightly better) to take his car and do laps around bathurst, not a GT3 test event.

However i think we all know what the problem is. The guy that sold the 12 hour is trying to keep his finger on the Gt3 vehicles and use them to build up his new event, while the guy that purchased the 12 hour is trying to keep the seller away.

National series, National rules
Old 3 Jul 2017, 10:58 (Ref:3748605)   #424
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Part of the attraction and popularity of "Challenge Bathurst" is that no car is out of place....
sorry to disagree

from the website

Quote:
Challenge Bathurst is an exclusive opportunity to drive your own street car or track racing car on the famous Mount Panorama Racing Circuit this November.
GT3 cars already have that opportunity at another time.

But does it really matter. Nope, only to the promoter
Old 3 Jul 2017, 11:30 (Ref:3748611)   #425
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Quote:
sorry to disagree
What you have posted appears to actually back him up.

one five five: Part of the attraction and popularity of "Challenge Bathurst" is that no car is out of place....

Website: Challenge Bathurst is an exclusive opportunity to drive your own street car or track racing car on the famous Mount Panorama Racing Circuit this November.

Seems to me like GT3 cars fit the description just fine, and the comment of "own street car or track racing car" is wide ranging enough to fit the "not out of place comment".