Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Dec 2013, 17:01 (Ref:3340514)   #1
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
The return of Ron Dennis?

Sky News reporting that Ron Dennis is seeking investors to support a buy out of Mansour Ojjeh and possibly Mumtalakat.

"Mr Dennis, who stepped down as McLaren’s F1 team principal in 2009, is said to be distressed at the current performance of the Woking-based outfit, which ended the 2013 season in Brazil last weekend without a single podium finish in 19 races. That sealed the team’s worst season in more than three decades.
The owner of 25% of McLaren Group, Mr Dennis is also thought to be interested in buying part of the remaining 50% stake, which is owned by the Bahrain-based sovereign wealth fund, Mumtalakat. Doing so would give him overall control of the company.
One ally said he was enticed by the idea of trying to revive the McLaren F1 team’s fortunes. An engine supply deal with Honda, accompanied by tens of millions of pounds a year in funding, is thought likely to give McLaren a major boost when it comes into effect in 2015."

It's interesting that Ron needs or believes he needs to gain control of the company in order to get back into the F1 team - if that is indeed his reason for doing it..

http://news.sky.com/story/1178061/mc...5m-share-swoop
Old 5 Dec 2013, 17:04 (Ref:3340516)   #2
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I doubt he wants back into F1. This is just corporate shenanigans.
Old 6 Dec 2013, 02:40 (Ref:3340675)   #3
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I doubt he wants back into F1. This is just corporate shenanigans.
I think the F1 team needs him back and his pride is hurt. he never really wanted to leave. He's a racer at heart and building road cars was never the primary dream.
Old 6 Dec 2013, 07:54 (Ref:3340710)   #4
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Hes also been spending a lot of time hanging around the back of the garage at races.
I cant see Whitmarsh staying in his present role much longer. And why they took on Sam Michael, I have no idea.
Old 6 Dec 2013, 12:25 (Ref:3340774)   #5
ace007
Racer

ace007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ron Dennis embodies the McLaren success and should take control back of one the best teams F1 has ever seen. Forget Whitmarsh who is NO leader and Sam Michael sinks each team he joins! Get him out please!!
Old 6 Dec 2013, 12:29 (Ref:3340776)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
psh, i think whitmarsh is a great leader but he's leading a team built very firmly on ron dennis' principles which are a long way from the way he operates.

i hope ron comes back. obviously it's not going to sort the car out but i bet it'd straighten out some of the silly mistakes that seem to have crept into mclarens modus operandi since he left.
Old 6 Dec 2013, 13:21 (Ref:3340788)   #7
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I think it's more people's desire for him to make a comeback than genuine insight into the mind of Ron Dennis. The team is a central part of the group's success, Dennis is correctly concerned with that and I'd guess Whitmarsh will be elbowed out to be replaced by someone who isn't Ron Dennis sooner rather than later.
Old 6 Dec 2013, 14:00 (Ref:3340798)   #8
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Speaking from an entirely personal standpoint, I can say with categorical certainty that the non-involvement of Mr Dennis has certainly seen McLaren devoid of its previously very strong synergistic mutually convenient relationships which in previous years have seen the team create and operate several exceedingly design led rapidly evolving vehicles, operated by a small but gratifying number of drivers.

Ah, how I've missed RonSpeak
Old 6 Dec 2013, 15:59 (Ref:3340839)   #9
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
so Ron's in China finding people who have money while Martin's in Spain trying to sign Alonso...again! smells like a few power plays going on but i do hope its a coordinated plan by the two to strengthen the team.

personally i like Whitmarsh. he comes across as as incredibly honest and shrewd (in his interviews anyways) and he has this ability to understand and empathize with the motives of those he is competing against. undoubtedly Mclaren would be weaker with him gone imo.
Old 6 Dec 2013, 16:27 (Ref:3340853)   #10
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
No. You've hit the nail on the head. Too honest. Too straight. No spin from Whitmarsh.
Get Ron back!
Old 6 Dec 2013, 16:59 (Ref:3340869)   #11
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
I think he can be a bit too affable Whitmarsh at times. Maybe there's a different persona going on behind closed doors mind you but I don't think he has the minute focus that Dennis had. Dennis is far more no-nonsense in my view.
Old 6 Dec 2013, 17:45 (Ref:3340885)   #12
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
psh, i think whitmarsh is a great leader but he's leading a team built very firmly on ron dennis' principles which are a long way from the way he operates.

i hope ron comes back. obviously it's not going to sort the car out but i bet it'd straighten out some of the silly mistakes that seem to have crept into mclarens modus operandi since he left.
Agree, RD is a minute detail man and he commands the respect of the team to meet his standards, which perhaps they don't have at the moment.

If he does come back can't see SM lasting long...
Old 6 Dec 2013, 17:52 (Ref:3340886)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Since 1999 McLaren has added just one trophy to its collection and even that one was won by the skin of its teeth. I reckon that McLaren needs more than just RD adding to its staff membership.
Old 6 Dec 2013, 19:11 (Ref:3340929)   #14
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But even in the late 90s and early 00s, I got the sense Ron's fastidious nature didn't stop them from being prone to "silly" errors.
Old 6 Dec 2013, 21:53 (Ref:3341023)   #15
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
No. You've hit the nail on the head. Too honest. Too straight. No spin from Whitmarsh.
Get Ron back!
haha. well played sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
But even in the late 90s and early 00s, I got the sense Ron's fastidious nature didn't stop them from being prone to "silly" errors.
indeed. during the end of his tenure, his presence may have precipitated some of those errors if not even made some of them worse.

several years on we still dont have all the full summary of spygate but i think its fair to say that in addition to the spying there was a massive clash of egos going on. Alonso vs RD and Mosely vs RD.

that whole period really with Todt, Briatore, Dennis...would it be a stretch to say their efforts at maximizing their own team's self interest ahead of the sport was central in getting F1 to the position it is in now?
Old 7 Dec 2013, 09:21 (Ref:3341175)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I like Whitmarsh, I also like Stefano and Eric. I'd take those 3 over Ron. Todt and Flavio anyday. I much prefer the younger guys characters. Trouble for these 3 is Red Bull. Even if Ron came back, I can't see him being able to get the team to the standard of beating Red bull in its current guise !!
Old 7 Dec 2013, 11:02 (Ref:3341199)   #17
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I like Martin Whitmarsh (from what I've seen on TV or read in the press, but I've never met the guy). He does seem honest & straightforward (which is probably the opposite of his predecessor!).
I don't think that he is personally responsible for the teams poor performances of late, but maybe the honourable thing would be for him to fall on his sword and 'accept this responsibility'?
A very good friend of mine (who generally is right about such things) told me some months ago that Ross Brawn would be moving to McLaren to replace Martin Whitmarsh when he leaves Mercedes. I wonder if this fishing Ross is supposed to be doing is in the lake surrounding the McLaren Technology Centre?
Old 7 Dec 2013, 14:29 (Ref:3341228)   #18
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I don't think that replacing Martin Whitmarsh is going to solve anything to be honest..

Hopefully McLaren will the start the 2014 season with a better car..
Old 7 Dec 2013, 15:08 (Ref:3341236)   #19
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I once saw Ron Dennis on a Tube. Fact.

I can't see the Ronster coming back to run the F1 team directly. I don't think Whitmarsh is the problem - McLaren, of all teams, is process-driven rather than shaped by the personality of the team principal. They obviously lost their way with the 2013 car, but let's see how they deal with the new regs before Whitmarsh is ushered into the library with a revolver and a bottle of whisky.
Old 7 Dec 2013, 16:33 (Ref:3341255)   #20
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
I can agree with that statement fully........despite all the big talk, the F1 team are guilty of making some terrible decisions........ consider the 2012 car was a solid fast car, all they needed to do was evolve it for 2013 and they would be competitive, in order to keep the tables clear for the 2014 car and regulations change.......but no, like a bunch of fools, they decided to tare up the 2012 car and made a pig of a 2013 car, which will have significantly distracted them from the 2014 car, and next year they will suffer the pain accordingly..........For me Whitmarsh is a bit of a smiler / grinner who is out of his depth............ ever since Ron left they have been making terrible decisions, I think he should buy back the majority share and gain the reigns again.
Old 7 Dec 2013, 16:41 (Ref:3341257)   #21
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
I once saw Ron Dennis on a Tube. Fact.

I can't see the Ronster coming back to run the F1 team directly. I don't think Whitmarsh is the problem - McLaren, of all teams, is process-driven rather than shaped by the personality of the team principal. They obviously lost their way with the 2013 car, but let's see how they deal with the new regs before Whitmarsh is ushered into the library with a revolver and a bottle of whisky.
Problem is that despite all the talk of winning and losing as a team, F1 is a buck stopper and if you are the team principal that goes with the territory.

The double whammy is that for a team like McLaren it's a lose, lose - you lose a bit of credibility, you're seen as behind the curve technically the reputation suffers a bit and of course you lose out financially for finishing down the order.

I am sure he will have another year, but if the 2014 car is a donkey MW won't make the end of 2014 IMO.
Old 7 Dec 2013, 19:37 (Ref:3341311)   #22
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
The works Mercedes team is struggling just to reach that final tier and Mclaren are having to do with hand me downs on customer terms from them. That doesn't explain all of Mclaren's issues but that is a reasonable handicap that cannot be laid at Whitmarsh's door. Mclaren is very much in a transition phase and juggling people about whilst you're trying to execute a smooth transition is not a good idea.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 13:14 (Ref:3341943)   #23
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Can someone explain how changing Whitmarsh to Dennis will suddenly make the designers design a better car?

Because as I see it, neither of them are designers. And the problem is the design of the car. Not who is running the team.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 11 Dec 2013, 06:45 (Ref:3342602)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I was under the impression that Ron and Max would both step down from their respective positions, basically for the good of the sport ? If Ron comes back does that mean that Max will too ??? (Certainly hope not !!!!)
Old 11 Dec 2013, 09:03 (Ref:3342625)   #25
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Can someone explain how changing Whitmarsh to Dennis will suddenly make the designers design a better car?

Because as I see it, neither of them are designers. And the problem is the design of the car. Not who is running the team.
Ultimately team principles or CEOs take the fall because their role is to ensure that the organisation is the best it can be, that they have the best people and resources and they are using them effectively. No different to any other large business.

I'm sure Whitmarsh would not say that he doesn't design the car so it's not his fault. He knows the position and although a team, how they perform is his responsibility. He has hired new people so let's see what impact they have over time.