Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 May 2008, 21:55 (Ref:2195553)   #76
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I take it you found the ones I stuck on Flickr?

TTG
Old 7 May 2008, 04:02 (Ref:2195678)   #77
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey
Hey, I admit, I don't know my old Rileys...
But that's all I saw, apart from the Red MG.

Sorry...

Dont be Tim,these are still excelent photos,it was surprisingly busy up there considering the weather.
Old 7 May 2008, 07:18 (Ref:2195742)   #78
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Considering how tight that must be, he seemed to be pedalling rapidly enough...

I just uploaded more stuff, including pits bits n bobs, that didn't appear on track whilst I was there, like the Le Mans MS 670 (I think, or is a it a 650???) and the F1 Matra, which I think was an MS80 or 100. Any correction gratefully accepted.
Old 7 May 2008, 07:58 (Ref:2195776)   #79
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey
OK, Mr R, I'm not sure which one that was?

There was this one which I think is a Sprite?
Yep, come on Tim, get your act together. It is indeed an Aston Martin; in fact a 1.5 litre series 2. A lovely car, but exists, due to the sacrifice of yet another rare standard 4 door saloon which it started life as. There are so few Aston pre war saloons, like a few other marques (Alfas, Bentleys and Rileys come to mind, although at least there are still quite a lot of pre war Riley Saloons left) and it is a shame that we lose them this way. Pre War Aston saloons were always rarer than the sports cars in the first place, and their survival rate is very low.

Last edited by John Turner; 7 May 2008 at 08:00.
Old 7 May 2008, 08:25 (Ref:2195796)   #80
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Agree John.Saloons are the thing if you want a pre war car.I bought one of the last Talbot 105 Four door saloons last year.All or most of the others were or are being broken down to make Alpine Reps.There are not that many and anyone knows where there is a good pre war Riley Saloon for sale we are in biz.
Open Air motoring,no problem ,open front window and roof and its the same as cab.
Old 7 May 2008, 08:30 (Ref:2195798)   #81
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
John, I finally worked out what the badge was on the radiator.

Doesn't alter the fact that this, and the MG, were all I saw.
I guess I have to dive MUCH deeper into Interwar stuff. I was quite good when I was 15-16, but I lost touch when I discovered girls!
Old 7 May 2008, 08:34 (Ref:2195800)   #82
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Anothert thought-Is the Aston a replica,fake,continuation ,copy or what.How do you classify those and assume it will be in pre war race at Festival.If this is the case why not let the Bill Douie's car run in the 500.In the old days Bob Wood would not let the Frazer Nash's run as he considered them all specials and I remember one of the Scottish members of the Nash club say that they needed more hotel spaces at the Annual Dinner to cater for all the new owners of the new cars that are being produced.Its not only Chevrons!
Old 7 May 2008, 08:37 (Ref:2195801)   #83
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Tim will improve after LMC as he will be on vertical learning curve
Zef is also on same programme
Old 7 May 2008, 09:26 (Ref:2195830)   #84
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
Anothert thought-Is the Aston a replica,fake,continuation ,copy or what.How do you classify those and assume it will be in pre war race at Festival.
I guess, that in this case, you'd call it a rebody, since the running gear is original, as is the chassis (although cut down). The problem is that the saloons are (or were) unloved and if it was falling to bits, the cost of restoration wouldn't make any financial sense. Having said that few restorations do; we do it for love don't we?

Looking forward to the results of Tim's education after the LMC! Zef may be a lost cause as far as pre war cars are concerned!

Err .... I must slap my wrists for contributing this move away from thread topic. Still no chance of a pic of the gyrating 962?
Old 7 May 2008, 11:32 (Ref:2195931)   #85
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
John where did the gyration happen? 90% of the circuit wasn't populated at all, I was venturing a long way when I got to Abbey!
And everything was well under control when I was at Bridge...
Old 7 May 2008, 19:43 (Ref:2196319)   #86
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Tim, I'll have to ask, Kev. All I know is that I got a recorded message from Kev saying that he'd just spun in the 962 in the wet with Mike Wilds driving!
Old 7 May 2008, 21:54 (Ref:2196427)   #87
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Not something a lot of people can say...
Old 22 May 2008, 19:47 (Ref:2209299)   #88
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
I just got a message from Mr Wilds, on Facebook, claiming to be on cut slicks in pouring rain...?
However, he then admits to 'running out of talent'!

Still, it's a claim to fame for your Kev.