Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 17 Jan 2004, 09:01 (Ref:841330)   #1
james tucker
Racer

james tucker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
track ownership and format changes

With the sale of the circuits and the movement of management at others and the owners of circuits
BARC,CROFT,DONINGTON,THE BRANDS 4,AND SILVERSTONE
does that leave Mashalling and the running of race
meetings open to the American way of useing Professional
full time staff and does that put in jeopady the traditional club like the BRDC or the BRSCC?
Old 17 Jan 2004, 09:12 (Ref:841344)   #2
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they get their act together and promote the events properly, and achieve JP's vision of filling the grandstands again, then the money will the there to employ the marshalls formally (paying them properly for the service they provide, and opening up improved training for all involved too).

I mentioned in another topic, the way to ensure consitant standards in races is for each racing "circus" (like F3/GT, or TOCA) to have the same CofC, same stewards, same observers, etc.. If they were employed formally, then this would be possible.

To achieve this we need to see far greater numbers of punters through the gate.

I don't think it puts the likes of the organising clubs inj jeopardy, but what it may do is turn them into more professional promoters.

What we need is the France family to buy the franchise!!!

Rob.
Old 17 Jan 2004, 12:34 (Ref:841495)   #3
cannardd
Racer

United Kingdom
London, England
cannardd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racing59
If they get their act together and promote the events properly, and achieve JP's vision of filling the grandstands again...
They need to build some grandstands before they can think about filling them...

OK they are two grandstands on the main straight at Brands and one small grandstand at Cadwell but none at all at Snetterton or Oulton Park where the only places to sit down are the few seats in the circuit cafe and the stalls in the toilets!
(and you really don't want to stay long in there)
Old 17 Jan 2004, 18:30 (Ref:841711)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Lets just say that JP is keen to work with the British Motorsport Marshals Club to view matters going forward. For the foreseeable future I don't see him or the others using paid marshals at weekend meetings. After all, if there is a usable volunteer force, why pay money to 'professional' marshals?
Old 18 Jan 2004, 11:33 (Ref:842264)   #5
james tucker
Racer

Stephen if he wants to run his own race meetings outside the existing clubs he will want to use his existing staff, and some more,so he will take on those people deeded to run a complete race day.
sportingly
james
Old 18 Jan 2004, 17:45 (Ref:842489)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
James,

It was my impression that JP was not going to run his own meetings and the early calender of events seems to support that. What he does want is to see better on and off track activity and more people through the gates and I would have thought series like the EERC are going to be high on the list of attractions. It could prove to be a good move for much of the UK motorsport scene. Lets keep fingers crossed.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 08:22 (Ref:843044)   #7
james tucker
Racer

Yes we do hope at the EERC that we are part of what we believe to be the ' shake up' that we all have been waiting for.We EERC are at the MSA today to re-write some of the rules relating to night races. This will allow anyone with lights to race in the winter on a sat/sun after the light has gone , like stock cars, anjd in the week as well.
This would bring income to the circuits, and we are talking in Millions, which they need, it would also help to reduce entry charges.....
sportingly
james
Old 19 Jan 2004, 08:48 (Ref:843055)   #8
jamescrofts
Retired
Racer

jamescrofts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James,

Keep up the good work with Britsports and Britcar.

regards

JC
Old 19 Jan 2004, 21:53 (Ref:843204)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
James, I hope the meeting with the MSA went well?
Old 19 Jan 2004, 22:56 (Ref:843273)   #10
jamescrofts
Retired
Racer

jamescrofts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
James, I hope the meeting with the MSA went well?
Hi James,

Good to talk to you earlier today, I would like to second Stephen's comments.

Stephen,

Neil wanted to say hello to you at the Autosport however we were in a hurry! Hope to meet up at Brands Hatch soon.

regards

James
Old 19 Jan 2004, 22:57 (Ref:843276)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Always ready to meet you guys, next time you are passing let me know
Old 22 Jan 2004, 22:40 (Ref:847545)   #12
kartingdad
Veteran

kartingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Stephen, i am pi$$ing now.

Oops, sorry, I realise you only wanted to know if I was passing. I'll give you a call about 7.30 a.m. as I regularly 'pass' around then. LOL
Old 22 Jan 2004, 22:41 (Ref:847546)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I'm at work in London by then Kartingdad
Old 22 Jan 2004, 22:50 (Ref:847552)   #14
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by kartingdad
I'll give you a call about 7.30 a.m. as I regularly 'pass' around then. LOL
And he doesn't get up until 8.00 a.m.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 23:22 (Ref:847591)   #15
kartingdad
Veteran

kartingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well, why bother, its warm... oh don't go there.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 17:38 (Ref:859135)   #16
D_Marshall
Racer

Sudan
North West, England
D_Marshall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by cannardd
They need to build some grandstands before they can think about filling them...

OK they are two grandstands on the main straight at Brands and one small grandstand at Cadwell but none at all at Snetterton or Oulton Park where the only places to sit down are the few seats in the circuit cafe and the stalls in the toilets!
(and you really don't want to stay long in there)

What did happen to the grandstands at Oulton? I remember going there in the early to mid-nineties when there were several grandstands and i used to watch mainly from the one at Lodge looking down the straight towards Druids. I also clearly remember there was one at Old Hall and i'm sure there were others. However since i returned to the track in 2003 there don't seem to be any.

Maybe a question for Diz?
Old 1 Feb 2004, 18:14 (Ref:859271)   #17
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good question David.
Probably financial short sightedness and health and safety [financial] issues. For the odd TOCA / BSB meetings they could charge, fill them and justify paying a safety steward. For clubbies, they knew they couldn't charge a fiver, so rather than charge a nominal quid [it wouldn't take many punters to cover a stewards pittance for the day] they appear to have done away with them. Let's face it, spectators are probably classed as a necessary nuisance when they hire their tracks to motor clubs. Let the drivers pay for the priviledge of putting on their "product", so the clubs can just about cover their costs on the day. Stuff the spekkies, let them stand in the mud.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 20:11 (Ref:859377)   #18
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Quite often they are erected as temporary structures and thus have to be taken down after so many days. Thats what happened to much of the stuff at Brands too.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 21:24 (Ref:859480)   #19
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spectators, and marshalls, and to a point, competitors were considered a hinderance to Nicola Foulston, so it seemed.

When John Webb was in charge, it wasn't right unless the place was heaving, and he'd try his best to fill the place.

I feel that JP has the same vision, as he has already stated that he wants to hear peoples views about spectating at his circuits.

I personally feel that Snetterton needs a grandstand on the outside of Russell, that way you should be able to see nearly all of the circuit from the back seats.

Oulton needs that one back on the outside of Lodge.

And ALL of the circuits need decent sanitation, not sheds masquerading as bogs. Then the people who use them need to stop acting like animals.

Rob.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 21:27 (Ref:859483)   #20
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I recently had a meeting with JP and he did say he wants the people through the gates again and it is my belief that he will achieve his targets. Only when the gate numbers increase will he have the funds to improve the facilities. Its a bit of a chicken and egg situation Im afraid.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 20:42 (Ref:860602)   #21
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
I've recalled the tale of the £1 days at Brands in the early 90's many times, and how crowds of 30000+ were of the norm.

What do you want, 300 people paying a tenner, or 30000 paying £1 to get in, then £5 to sit in the grandstand (about 10000 of them), plus the catering, merchandising, £3 for a programme, etc...

Get 'em in the door I say.

Rob.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 21:08 (Ref:860647)   #22
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Exactly Rob, that is what I said too.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 22:42 (Ref:860755)   #23
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If there were bigger crowds it would be so much better for the teams and drivers as well. We would find it much easier to get sponsorship so there would be more entrants in championships. This would also mean better racing for the spectators and even more would come.

Look at Spain, the championships pay for the circuit then charge nothing to the spectators, they then get 90,000 people through the gate which makes the sponsors much more ready to give up their money.
Old 3 Feb 2004, 08:18 (Ref:861125)   #24
james tucker
Racer

You all know how hard it is to get a friend to come with you
to a race meeting.....how often do you hear (are you in F1)
OR (TOURING CARS), and when you say club racing everyone says, sorry were going shopping.The cicuits have a mammoth
task, but we have as a peole stepped forward with our standards. Covered stands/good food/good parking/3/4/5 star
service, not a greasy bun,plastic tea and amuddy field to park in......
sportingly
james
Old 3 Feb 2004, 08:32 (Ref:861139)   #25
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know why the perfectly good permanent stand opposite the start at Brands was demolished? Was the only decent public facility at a UK circuit with en-suite toilets & bar.