Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Mar 2006, 16:48 (Ref:1557566)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
2008 sporting regulations

Here are the 2008 sporting regs.http://www.fia.com/resources/documen..._Regs_2008.pdf
Old 22 Mar 2006, 17:15 (Ref:1557587)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Now that they have been finalised,will there be a mad rush to sign up to the new concorde agreement.If they don't,one or two teams could find themselves in a precarious position.
Old 22 Mar 2006, 17:30 (Ref:1557599)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Rule 86 and 87 may be of particular interest.
Old 22 Mar 2006, 17:51 (Ref:1557618)   #4
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, the longlife gearbox part I think we all knew was coming.

The ballast penalties suck though.

Not fun.
Old 22 Mar 2006, 17:57 (Ref:1557620)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Yeah,if your engine and gearbox both go bang,that's 30 kgs isn't it........ouch!
Old 22 Mar 2006, 18:04 (Ref:1557625)   #6
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I don't like grid penalites, but I like ballast even less.

I would prefer something of the ilk x-failure cost x-WCC points. This should only apply to any points scored in that particular event. Exactly how the points penalty would operate is an area for debate, but the general principle is what I am getting at.

I seem to recall being in a bit of a minority with this though.
Old 22 Mar 2006, 18:18 (Ref:1557629)   #7
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Also, this I found interesting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008 F1 Sporting Regulations
117) Each car will be deemed to be in parc fermé from 18.30 on the first day of practice until the green lights are illuminated at the start of the formation lap which immediately precedes the start of the race.
And this was removed from Article 126:

No driver may enter into a contract which restricts his right to talk to any representative of the media during an Event. It shall be the duty of each team to ensure that their drivers do not unreasonably refuse to speak to any representative of the media during the Event.
Old 22 Mar 2006, 18:32 (Ref:1557638)   #8
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think i quite like this ballast penalty. It has the possiblity of adding another element to increase overtaking (longer braking zones, slower cornering speeds, slower top acceleration / straight line speed)....albeit all very slightly but it adds up. could be interesting.

Although they don't mention when the ballast needs to be applied. If your engine goes in practice, do you have to add the extra weight before qualifying? or simply before the race?

Anyone know how much 15kg's relates to in lap times?
Old 22 Mar 2006, 18:33 (Ref:1557639)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Also, this I found interesting:

And this was removed from Article 126:

No driver may enter into a contract which restricts his right to talk to any representative of the media during an Event. It shall be the duty of each team to ensure that their drivers do not unreasonably refuse to speak to any representative of the media during the Event.
Not all bad then (sarcy).

But what we should remember is that the regulations aren't set in stone and can be changed so long as it is a majority decision.

But of course to be able to affect a change of the rules,you must first sign up to the concorde agreement before the end of March.
Old 22 Mar 2006, 19:32 (Ref:1557686)   #10
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Quote:
Originally Posted by Removed from Article 44
Any applicant which did not take part in the Championship for the previous year must also deposit US$48,000,000 (forty-eight million United States dollars) with the FIA when submitting its application. This sum will be returned to it forthwith if its application is refused or in twelve equal monthly instalments (including interest) commencing immediately after the first Event in which it competes, provided it has met and continues to meet all the requirements of the Agreement and its schedules. If the applicant fails to appear for the Championship for which it has entered, its deposit will be forfeit save only that the applicant may delay its participation by one year, in which case US$12,000,000 (twelve million United States dollars) will be forfeit and the balance repaid as set out above.
Goodbye bond.
Old 22 Mar 2006, 19:40 (Ref:1557696)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Goodbye bond.
Yeah,exactly.You wouldn't want to hang about signing the concorde agreement would you.
Old 22 Mar 2006, 21:05 (Ref:1557753)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I don't like grid penalites, but I like ballast even less.
I don' like either, but am slightly more in favour of ballast than grid, I think.
Old 22 Mar 2006, 21:11 (Ref:1557756)   #13
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Quote:
I would prefer something of the ilk x-failure cost x-WCC points. This should only apply to any points scored in that particular event. Exactly how the points penalty would operate is an area for debate, but the general principle is what I am getting at.
What about that?
Old 22 Mar 2006, 21:16 (Ref:1557760)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ballast and grid penalties should both be abolished.

Stupid, idiotic rules both. This is not Touring Cars.
Old 22 Mar 2006, 21:21 (Ref:1557766)   #15
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Well, there needs to be some form of penalty if we are going to have x-life parts.
Old 22 Mar 2006, 21:27 (Ref:1557772)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well stop this x-life parts rubbish. It has no real benefit......I can't believe that it saves costs in any way.
Old 22 Mar 2006, 21:31 (Ref:1557776)   #17
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
I think there is merit in 1-race parts.

It saves using like 5 engines/car/weekend.
Old 22 Mar 2006, 21:40 (Ref:1557782)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Tsk, well I don't know. One of these days the entire car will be long life and then how ridiculous will the sport seem!
Old 22 Mar 2006, 21:48 (Ref:1557788)   #19
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Don't get me wrong, I would prefer there were no restrictions. But then I am not that stressed about costs, seeing as I think, when it comes down to it, if the teams really don't want to spend so much then they won't.

However, in the current mode, whereby such long-life things have become the dominant strategy, I would think that it should be decided what duration is wanted then leave it at that point.

To increase the lengths overtime, such as seems the FIA's grand plan, I would think just causes high levels of R&D to expended on it.

For the sake of argument, decide that, as of 2009, that engines/gearboxes/whatever-else must last, for the sake of argument, 4-races.

Then just leave it at that.

Take the one year hit of increased R&D, and whatever else, then just leave it alone.
Old 22 Mar 2006, 22:10 (Ref:1557804)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well yes, that is better.

But as you say, it is increasing time and again and getting rather out of hand.

And I just get the feeling that one day all this long-life stuff will be abolished anyways.....which makes the entire exercise pointless.

Still, the sport hasn't yet descended into farce so I shall cease complaining!
Old 22 Mar 2006, 22:15 (Ref:1557805)   #21
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Still, the sport hasn't yet descended into farce so I shall cease complaining!
That's been my approach to the new qualifying, .
Old 23 Mar 2006, 01:39 (Ref:1557952)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
That's been my approach to the new qualifying, .
Not on topic,but the new qually is about to be tweaked again,with the first two periods being lengthened by five minutes and the last one cut down to ten minutes.Much better IMO.

I'm sure that these new regs will get tweaked as well.
Old 23 Mar 2006, 01:53 (Ref:1557962)   #23
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
74 - no more grooved tyres
Old 23 Mar 2006, 03:03 (Ref:1557984)   #24
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
74 - no more grooved tyres
Could be as early as next season.
Old 23 Mar 2006, 03:24 (Ref:1557991)   #25
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I think there is merit in 1-race parts.

It saves using like 5 engines/car/weekend.
True...Also the nursing of cars just is silly, trying to get them through two race weekends..