Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Mar 2007, 19:48 (Ref:1873281)   #26
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
The Brothers Grimm were famous for writing fairy tales Bob, I think it was Esper's attempt at humour. :-)
Old 21 Mar 2007, 21:13 (Ref:1873391)   #27
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its good that you all state the benefits of modern techniques on older cars like oil cams etc. but the real meaning of the thread is the cars that really progressed more than the rest in all those years (because of intleigent prepareres ho uprated a then cheap car (which now no longer is beause of "the market" ). who actually werent that good in those days or not properly developed in those days and are now top of the bill in historic racing. just to mention Griffiths. Bizarrinis and?????? few others
Old 21 Mar 2007, 21:15 (Ref:1873392)   #28
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
The Brothers Grimm were famous for writing fairy tales Bob, I think it was Esper's attempt at humour. :-)
I am very sorry big banger lovers I don;t want to be rude but I would try to mention in my way...its not bhp but laptimes.................which count...
Old 21 Mar 2007, 21:23 (Ref:1873402)   #29
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Esper, who is Longman? Is it that small fella who looks like a meerkat and goes by the name Dave.....?
Old 21 Mar 2007, 21:25 (Ref:1873405)   #30
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Naw Richard!
Old 21 Mar 2007, 21:29 (Ref:1873407)   #31
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Naw Richard!
I thought he may have been using a nickname, all is now clear, thanks.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 21:41 (Ref:1873419)   #32
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Diff
Hey Esper, who is Longman? Is it that small fella who looks like a meerkat and goes by the name Dave.....?
not dave , they have business in a city , same name as the captial (correct me when wrong because it was not one of our older colonies so key knowledge is sadly enough somewhat limited, but in top 3 of countries one should visit before passing away) of New Zeeland south island. It was my first visit to a real british motorsport company. Being used to big shiny companies I started leaning there!. a Building like the local garage but inside piles of flowed SU's (FIA touring car one hour races was big then) Pug engines in various grades of repair and a strang 5 cylinder head on a flowbench . thought Audi but then bingo, thas was the to be TWR Volvo BTCC fast head for Lammers and co..

most important, I got a superb MGB head which is still on one of my engines. Was always among the fastest on the lowlands and good part of a reliable package. chapeau to these guys
Old 21 Mar 2007, 21:45 (Ref:1873422)   #33
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by esper
not dave , they have business in a city , same name as the captial (correct me when wrong because it was not one of our older colonies so key knowledge is sadly enough somewhat limited, but in top 3 of countries one should visit before passing away) of New Zeeland south island. It was my first visit to a real british motorsport company. Being used to big shiny companies I started leaning there!. a Building like the local garage but inside piles of flowed SU's (FIA touring car one hour races was big then) Pug engines in various grades of repair and a strang 5 cylinder head on a flowbench . thought Audi but then bingo, thas was the to be TWR Volvo BTCC fast head for Lammers and co..

most important, I got a superb MGB head which is still on one of my engines. Was always among the fastest on the lowlands and good part of a reliable package. chapeau to these guys
Just had this strange feeling you were letting Smithies near your car!!
Old 21 Mar 2007, 22:02 (Ref:1873433)   #34
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His name is Richard Longman,I,m still using a head I had done by him seven years ago,and it still gives as much power as the "modern" heads.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 22:20 (Ref:1873445)   #35
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
Just had this strange feeling you were letting Smithies near your car!!
my healey is quite continental with a sauce a la Welch (means lots of parts dyf gbox shocks, springs , engine parts etc etc ) and a cam from the camfactoryowner who has a red healey with white stripes. but afterall I do my own thing (dutch rod german pistons). afterall it bit me in the back quit a few times (should have bought a blue healey with silver h-top )
Old 21 Mar 2007, 22:22 (Ref:1873446)   #36
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
His name is Richard Longman,I,m still using a head I had done by him seven years ago,and it still gives as much power as the "modern" heads.
lets toast friday on the reliable quiksilver heads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 21 Mar 2007, 22:24 (Ref:1873448)   #37
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I used to own two Healeys Esper many years ago, I had a 100/6 and sold that for £220 (mind you I did modify it to look like an AC Cobra) and then had a Mk 3 which I eventually sold for £500 and that was a peach!
Old 21 Mar 2007, 22:29 (Ref:1873453)   #38
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
sauce a la Welch
No bad thing, the best in the business.

Quote:
a cam from the camfactoryowner who has a red healey with white stripes
Aaah, that would be Mr Cox.

Quote:
should have bought a blue healey with silver h-top
You should have. When I sold her, she was probably the best prepared Healey out there. I miss that car so much...

Old 21 Mar 2007, 22:32 (Ref:1873457)   #39
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Lovely!
Old 21 Mar 2007, 22:39 (Ref:1873462)   #40
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Lovely!
Especially at 9.00pm pulling 7000rpm in top, diving into Eau Rouge knowing that you've got another 90 minutes before handing over.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 22:40 (Ref:1873463)   #41
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
No bad thing, the best in the business.

Aaah, that would be Mr Cox.

You should have. When I sold her, she was probably the best prepared Healey out there. I miss that car so much...

Picture removed by moderator. No need to see it twice even if it is a great car
DONT MAKE ME MAD stunning stunning, well mine looks a little wilder but thats minor....
that was and is a great car, where is it anyway??????
(Great thing it is not RED. I navigated Rinus Sinke week ago on the Hornelandrally in his red Rally car (RHdrive) filling it up at a petrol station, paying and walking ba to the car, I really opened the door of another car and wanted to sit on the lap of the driver (LHD car) so never have a red Healey !!!!

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 22 Mar 2007 at 05:44.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 22:43 (Ref:1873467)   #42
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
Especially at 9.00pm pulling 7000rpm in top, diving into Eau Rouge knowing that you've got another 90 minutes before handing over.
New Zealand must be a terrible terrible great country to go and live after all this????????????????????
Old 21 Mar 2007, 22:48 (Ref:1873468)   #43
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
that was and is a great car, where is it anyway?
I sold her to a very good friend of mine (who you will no doubt know), Robert Mills. He then sold it on to a friend of Willie Green's I think. Not sure who owns it now, but if I win lotto this weekend, I'm on the phone to the UK trying to find the owner!

Quote:
Great thing it is not RED
Took me ages to decide on the colour. My previous 3000 race car was red and I wanted to be different. The colour scheme was the same as the one off 100/4 coupe built for Geoff Healey(I think) and was without a doubt the best looking 3000.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 22:54 (Ref:1873471)   #44
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
New Zealand must be a terrible terrible great country to go and live after all this????????????????????
Awful, but a job that involves motorcycles helps!

But we're getting off topic now. I have no doubt that my Healey was quicker than anything built in period, however, I also know that mine was built faithfully to Appendix K with no cheating like over size engine, big brakes or a fancy gearbox!
Old 22 Mar 2007, 08:08 (Ref:1873594)   #45
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
Awful, but a job that involves motorcycles helps!

But we're getting off topic now. I have no doubt that my Healey was quicker than anything built in period, however, I also know that mine was built faithfully to Appendix K with no cheating like over size engine, big brakes or a fancy gearbox!
I was just wondering if Nieuw Zeeland (thats how we call it!!) seasalt is less harmfull for motrcycle than our North sea salt????

But now back to topic. Maybe the Healey was one of the first classic racers where the full potential was developed in the mid eighties. I have picture of my car on the Nurburgring GP track second corner in 5th spot in front of my car where 2 Healeys (one of certain guy MS than living in Geldrop Holland and another certain guy DW living in Yoxall) and 2 Ferraris. I can asure you my Healey is faster now than it was then but is now mostly racing midfield. behind Bizarrinis , Mustangs, Porsche 911 , Elans to name a few. And the Ferraris are pityfull gone apart from Goodwood etc.
In those days the Healeys already probably raced with steel rods etc.

[mod]Please stop repeating pictures in your quotes. Picture removed by mod once again.[/mod]

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 22 Mar 2007 at 08:11.
Old 22 Mar 2007, 08:45 (Ref:1873612)   #46
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The colour scheme was the same as the one off 100/4 coupe built for Geoff Healey(I think) and was without a doubt the best looking 3000.[/quote]

I have done a lot of work on this car in the past,it is now stashed away in Scotland!
Old 22 Mar 2007, 20:40 (Ref:1873983)   #47
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
I have done a lot of work on this car in the past,it is now stashed away in Scotland!
Didn't whatsisname, the fella who owned all the ex works cars own it? Absolutely beautiful car and should have gone into production.
Old 22 Mar 2007, 20:51 (Ref:1873985)   #48
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
I was just wondering if Nieuw Zeeland (thats how we call it!!) seasalt is less harmfull for motrcycle than our North sea salt????]
Nope, our salt is no less harmful than that found in the North Sea, however, our sea contains a lot less 'other stuff'...

Quote:
Maybe the Healey was one of the first classic racers where the full potential was developed in the mid eighties. I have picture of my car on the Nurburgring GP track second corner in 5th spot in front of my car where 2 Healeys (one of certain guy MS than living in Geldrop Holland and another certain guy DW living in Yoxall) and 2 Ferraris. I can asure you my Healey is faster now than it was then but is now mostly racing midfield. behind Bizarrinis , Mustangs, Porsche 911 , Elans to name a few. And the Ferraris are pityfull gone apart from Goodwood etc.
In those days the Healeys already probably raced with steel rods etc.]
There's no doubting that the Healey 3000 if prepared properly can mix it, especially in long distance. You'll probably find that being behind certain other makes has more to do with money! I also have no doubt that there is so much more cheating that goes unhindered as organisers look to fill grids rather than assure a level playing field. I mean, is it normal for a Healey 3000 to be outdragged by an MGB or TR4?

And there's tyres. All historic racing (cars pre '65) should be on Dunlop L or M section tyres, no buts. If you want sticky tyres on your race car go and race something modern. The FIA Historic GT series runs only on these and so should everything else.

As an aside, Denis now lives in North Staffs, moved away from Yoxall a while ago. Denis spent a very nice christmas here in NZ with me and my family.
Old 23 Mar 2007, 06:11 (Ref:1874217)   #49
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the very best duels I've ever seen was the 2-Race support at Bathurst before the 1998 2-litre only Bathurst 1000.This was an Austins only race as a Donald Healey Tribute.Welch had the pride of all England there done up like Austin Powers,and our own Peter Hopwood[R.I.P.] HAD A 3000 in superb trim.Practice times were nearly identical,they raced with a coat of paint between them , Welch won the first race,then Hopwood got best lap at 2.44
in the second race but lost it near the end of the race,Welch winning again.

As a comparison since 1998 the best non V8 times for historics at Bathurst for these following vehicles I can find are-Porsche 911-2.49
Torana 3300 XU1-2.38
Morris Cooper S -2.50
BMW 2002 Ti ---2.47
Alfa GTV 2000--2.48
Jaguar 3.8 Mk.2--2.50
Lotus Cortina---2.46

So for a fifties car the Healey 3000 punches beyond it's weight !!

As a comparison in 2000 Bathurst "Showroom Showdown'" for non exotic performance cars the Subaru Impreza WRX STi was best at 2.50.

best at 2.50
Old 23 Mar 2007, 12:02 (Ref:1874424)   #50
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
interesting time comparisson with the scooby-doo

in a similar vain, my car is quicker than an ordinary elise and a std caterham round goodwood ( at least that was the case testing on a track day a few years ago)