Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 31 May 2007, 07:52 (Ref:1925198)   #1
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Period Lighting[spa--6hr]

I thought that maybe an issue that will affect those of us who are doing the Six Hour deserved a separate thread.The word originally was that only PERIOD auxilary lights would be allowed[and for that matter Headlights too]. One comment I heard last year was "I could,nt see where I was going without them",perhaps the competitor would be better off ,for all our sakes if he did the daylight stint ?.It seem,s that this does need addressing ,so any further thoughts on this matter ?,after all,if we are actualy heard,then perhaps we could enjoy OUR race even more,besides,how did they manage on the original long distance events.
Old 31 May 2007, 08:16 (Ref:1925211)   #2
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm of the opinion that the organisers should set a maximum bulb rating for all cars and a maximum number of additional spot lamps that can be fitted and that this is scrutineered closely. This will ensure an even playing field and remove the xenons etc from cars.

Roger
Old 31 May 2007, 08:24 (Ref:1925226)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
H4 HAlogen headlights and 3 cibie oscars where period for my car, and if I do the 6 hour next year thats what I'll fit

The MAskells did the same with their Anglia a few years back

I guess my formative years of caning round the Sussex countryside at 70 mph on a Lambretta with a 25W 6V headlight gave me good night vision !!!

another issue is making sure people have half decent and working brake and tail lights . . . . something I was accutaly aware of on MOnday racing in the rain, Alfas have woeful lights!
Old 31 May 2007, 11:27 (Ref:1925344)   #4
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think that there are several issues
firstly the slower cars need to look in their mirrors more as I recall on several occassions realizing that they had not seen me as I was taking them, hence bright lights ensured that they did (okay I know that is a circular argument as they dont look in their mirrors because etc....)
secondly those with auxilliary lights use them responsibly as one would on the road.
My night driver (who was a class winner at Le Mans in the Group C era and therefore has some night racing experience) made it a condition of his drive to have decent lights. He did it a few years earlier in a Cobra (the year Lloyd's GT40 was banned)with period lights and found it downright dangerous. I agree they look out of period but some say Rollbars do as well but I wouldn't race without one. We tried to make them as inconspicious as possible in the Lotus Cortina and the Merlyn used tiny lights which were very powerful so I am afraid I am the otherside of the argument!!
Old 31 May 2007, 13:01 (Ref:1925386)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
theres nothing to stop you putting better bulbs in period holders, therefore I guess Roger wins this one, set a limit of say 1000 LUX per car

sits back and waits for comment re LUX
Old 31 May 2007, 13:01 (Ref:1925389)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
secondly those with auxilliary lights use them responsibly as one would on the road.
agreed, dipping them when you see an MGB coming in the opposite direction is good manners afterall
Old 31 May 2007, 13:07 (Ref:1925394)   #7
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
agreed, dipping them when you see an MGB coming in the opposite direction is good manners afterall
a true english Gentleman allthough would a GT 40 with the lighting of Wembley stadium at front dip those?
Old 31 May 2007, 14:01 (Ref:1925440)   #8
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
depends if theyre hanging off the front or bolted to the roof rack I guess !
Old 31 May 2007, 15:34 (Ref:1925484)   #9
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These ultra high powered light bulbs[low draw .high output] are fine, but the point is that the cars are put onto a more or less,level playing field.As for people dipping?
Another thing is the fact that for the Marshalls/Spectators[Who Stay],it is pretty uncomfortable for them.I,m sorry,but the Xenon type lamp,s should not be allowed!
Old 31 May 2007, 15:38 (Ref:1925490)   #10
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife

Quote:
HUH!!!! .NO I<M NOT GOING TO BITE!
Old 31 May 2007, 19:47 (Ref:1925626)   #11
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the long forgotten days when I still used to marshal at night races those bright lights were very annoying. I almost felt like the Mogwai Gizmo ("Gremlins" for those who do not know what I mean).

The bright light did bother quite a lot when you had to do some quick intervention on track. I.e. you looked towards traffic, got blinded by a car carrying 6 extra lights and then went trackside to pick something up. Not the best way to do it. [Dam, can't see a thing, now where is the armco? Aw, ah here, now where is the track?]
But then again you were thinking (hoping) that the next guy had 8 of them, so that he could see you from far enough, if you hadn't quite made it back yet.

So I did like the cars more with the non period stronger lights, just because of the safety aspect.
Old 1 Jun 2007, 00:18 (Ref:1925794)   #12
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely either headlights only and type/output free or limited auxilliaries with limited output.

It can't be safe for everyone to be taping over their rear screens to block out glare from others behind.

R
Old 1 Jun 2007, 07:04 (Ref:1925927)   #13
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Should that read Limited Period Auxillarie?.Fully agreeFISC,something has to be done before we get out there though.
Old 1 Jun 2007, 09:03 (Ref:1926030)   #14
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Answer to lights question will be posted by the organisers within a few days on their websirte but also on this page for information.
Old 1 Jun 2007, 09:18 (Ref:1926040)   #15
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Thanks and welcome back Jeremy,you might have gathered that this is quite an important issue for those of us taking part! Will we be blessed with your presence at Spa.?
Old 4 Jun 2007, 15:04 (Ref:1928522)   #16
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
From what info I,ve been given today,we dont have to buy anti glare glasses
Old 4 Jun 2007, 18:05 (Ref:1928648)   #17
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I now understand that the organisers will be specifying Period Specification lighting for this event.
Full details from them later this week.
Old 4 Jun 2007, 20:09 (Ref:1928750)   #18
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
good news, so full justification for a decent online conversation/debate, spanning Europe on the subject

and some people think we just stir things up
Old 4 Jun 2007, 21:46 (Ref:1928837)   #19
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
good news, so full justification for a decent online conversation/debate, spanning Europe on the subject

and some people think we just stir things up
who?????????? So I can leave my new Persol sunglasses for nightracing at home
Old 5 Jun 2007, 03:20 (Ref:1928992)   #20
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Thats one of the problems these days Zef,people always think the worst about others, .

No posing for you this year Esper!!!
Old 5 Jun 2007, 06:40 (Ref:1929035)   #21
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
are you inferring that people that wear Persol's are posers? But I have 2 pairs...
Old 5 Jun 2007, 06:57 (Ref:1929042)   #22
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Wellll,errr ,no,not exactly,but then again----- What are the second pair for?Do you ware them on the back of you,re head?
Old 5 Jun 2007, 07:00 (Ref:1929044)   #23
simon drabble
Veteran

just in case I lose the first pair - I would hate to have none ;-)
Old 5 Jun 2007, 07:02 (Ref:1929046)   #24
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I rest my case!!
Old 5 Jun 2007, 07:11 (Ref:1929054)   #25
simon drabble
Veteran

guilty! They are actually fantastic glasses and if they were good enough for Steve McQueen and the great Enzo they are probably ok for me!