Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 31 Dec 2019, 09:03 (Ref:3949168)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
NURBURGRING OLDTIMER

So far, the only UK grids attending are HGPCA and Formula Junior, as the meeting is a round of their Lurani Trophy. Masters are swapping their August meeting to Zolder for 2020.
Old 15 Feb 2020, 19:24 (Ref:3957749)   #2
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
26. AvD-HISTORIC-MARATHON NORDSCHLEIFE 2020

Taken from the Event Website.

As part of the 2020 AvD Oldtimer Grand Prix the organisers of the classics racing weekend, together with FHR (Fahrergemeinschaft Historischer Rennsport e. V.), would like to revive the traditional AvD Historic Marathon. The three-hour race on the legendary Nordschleife is designed for classics and young classics and, following a four-year break, planned to become even more attractive with a new concept.

On Friday of the AvD OGP weekend a 75-minute qualifying session and a 180-minute race will be scheduled in coordination with the remainder of the programme because entrants should be able to participate in the other touring car and GT races of the weekend without any major restrictions. The race will be held on the 20.5-km Nordschleife which entrants will leave upon finishing: on the last lap following the chequered flag the gate will open to the Grand Prix circuit across which the teams will subsequently drive directly to the Grand Prix paddock. That is where the podium ceremony will take place so that the ‘Marathon’ will even be more closely integrated with the AvD OGP weekend.

Participating teams will of course be allocated dedicated areas in the Grand Prix paddock. For racing operations and pit stops, the Nordschleife pit lane will be used (T13). The entry fee includes numerous additional benefits and services.

In order to be able to conduct the race, the organisers require binding submissions of entries by 27 March 2020 (received, incl. completed and signed credit card debit form/entry fee).
Old 15 Feb 2020, 19:25 (Ref:3957750)   #3
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2020 Grids

No Masters means there was bound to be new grids!

NEW: Formula 1 Legends - The Royal Class of the 70th to 90th
NEW: Audi Sport Seyffarth R8 LMS Cup
NEW: 1961 Grand Prix revival - the birth of 1.5-litre Formula 1
BACK AGAIN: AvD Historic Marathon for Touring Cars and GT on the Nordschleife
FIA Lurani Trophy for Formula Junior Cars
Revival German Racing Championship / 100-Miles Trophy
Historische Grand Prix Cars up to 1965
AvD-Touring Car and GT-Trophy
Two-seater race cars and GT up to 1960/61
A Gentle Drivers Trophy
Tourenwagen Classics
FCD Racing Series
Vintage Sports Car Trophy / Pre-War-Cars Meeting: racing and sports cars of the 20th, 30th and 40th in the originally restored historical paddock
Old 17 Feb 2020, 14:03 (Ref:3958016)   #4
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fingers crossed the Historic Marathon will go ahead. It seems good value when compared with entering the 6hr at Spa!
Old 19 Feb 2020, 05:09 (Ref:3958392)   #5
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One big set back for most Brits is a lack of the Nordschleife Permit, which, I think, served to stop this fabous event. If the Permit requirement was to be removed I'm certain far more would show an interest.
Just one accident caused this to come about. Someone had only simulator experience and apparently drove the car as if he was still on the simulator!
Old 19 Feb 2020, 07:01 (Ref:3958398)   #6
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Simulators should be improved with real injuries, electro shocks, siège éjectable, automatic face smashing and high bills to pay.
I remember a small company renting used cars with a ROPS located near the main entrance. Convenient and inexpensive. Still in activity?
Old 19 Feb 2020, 08:41 (Ref:3958420)   #7
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
One big set back for most Brits is a lack of the Nordschleife Permit, which, I think, served to stop this fabous event. If the Permit requirement was to be removed I'm certain far more would show an interest.
Just one accident caused this to come about. Someone had only simulator experience and apparently drove the car as if he was still on the simulator!
But the regs for the event clearly state that a 'crash course' (pun unintended I hope) will be arranged just before the event for drivers who don't currently have the qualification, so should not be seen as a deterrent.
Old 19 Feb 2020, 09:35 (Ref:3958430)   #8
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
If there's a place on earth where a test-drive should be mandatory then the Nordschleife is this one. Can be scary…
Old 19 Feb 2020, 09:46 (Ref:3958434)   #9
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I would agree that it is preventing a number of people to join the fest but I would also say that it should become mandatory for many more Competitions.

I have lapped the Nordschleife in rental cars as well as with a daily car given the number of years I've visited the Oldtimer, I've also sat in the passenger seat of experienced guys such as Jeremy Welch in his Healey - who was cornering way faster than the modern cars around.

But the Nordschleife is one of these old gems, narrow, twisty and above all, lacking the modern run-offs that so many drivers or "kids" would be used to today and I think it is not a bad idea to have a requisite permit to race the course. I believe you only realise how historic the sport can be the day you crash a car properly and given the green hell aspect, this is not the place you want this to happen.

I believe this should be done for circuits like Le Mans as well. Not as narrow, way more modern in its design and amount of run-offs but the traffic and high speed are parameters which can make a simple move a dramatic situation, so is night racing but above all the fact that rookies are let out on such tracks in historic today.

Historic is fun but let's always remember that speed and stupidity do not mix very well in certain circumstances.
Old 19 Feb 2020, 10:04 (Ref:3958445)   #10
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The entry blurb suggests that the permit is obtained in two parts

You have to do some online stuff in advance then they are going to run a "course" on the thursday. I have heard the course involves sitting on a coach while someone talks to you in german. So it will require you to be out a day earlier

Points about simulators noted above, but at 51yo, I am still hoping a few laps on a PS4 will give me an idea of what is coming up over the brow
Old 20 Feb 2020, 05:23 (Ref:3958649)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
But the regs for the event clearly state that a 'crash course' (pun unintended I hope) will be arranged just before the event for drivers who don't currently have the qualification, so should not be seen as a deterrent.
Yep, meant to post the new thinking regarding this. Makes you wonder how thousands of drivers survived the Ring without incedent since 1927😁
The organisers have finally realised Why this particular event was failing🤩
Old 20 Feb 2020, 05:28 (Ref:3958650)   #12
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraint Owen View Post
The entry blurb suggests that the permit is obtained in two parts

You have to do some online stuff in advance then they are going to run a "course" on the thursday. I have heard the course involves sitting on a coach while someone talks to you in german. So it will require you to be out a day earlier

Points about simulators noted above, but at 51yo, I am still hoping a few laps on a PS4 will give me an idea of what is coming up over the brow
Brow? There's more than one😂
Trick is to memorise the ones you don't brake for. Sim games are fine But tend to give the impression the straight sections
are longer that real life and also the gradient changes are not captured that well. Coach trip will also be done in Englsh😉
Old 20 Feb 2020, 06:45 (Ref:3958652)   #13
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Geraint I suggest you go and take a taxi. May be the driver is a female or has a tough accent but after a tenths of minutes, you'll make the difference between "yell a cab" and "cab to hell"…
Old 20 Feb 2020, 07:20 (Ref:3958656)   #14
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Geraint I suggest you go and take a taxi. May be the driver is a female or has a tough accent but after a tenths of minutes, you'll make the difference between "yell a cab" and "cab to hell"…
Very rarely does Sabine do Taxi laps any more Gerard. But for a really good trip round I would suggest Dale Lomas in the project 8Jag,or now there's the choice of a Jag EV. Both are great fun. ��

Last edited by terence; 20 Feb 2020 at 07:21. Reason: Miss spelling.
Old 20 Feb 2020, 08:30 (Ref:3958666)   #15
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Interesting! But being a very bad passenger because easy to frighten, I'd go for an English gentleman Capri owner if I could!
Old 21 Feb 2020, 13:59 (Ref:3959018)   #16
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post
I would agree that it is preventing a number of people to join the fest but I would also say that it should become mandatory for many more Competitions.

I have lapped the Nordschleife in rental cars as well as with a daily car given the number of years I've visited the Oldtimer, I've also sat in the passenger seat of experienced guys such as Jeremy Welch in his Healey - who was cornering way faster than the modern cars around.

But the Nordschleife is one of these old gems, narrow, twisty and above all, lacking the modern run-offs that so many drivers or "kids" would be used to today and I think it is not a bad idea to have a requisite permit to race the course. I believe you only realise how historic the sport can be the day you crash a car properly and given the green hell aspect, this is not the place you want this to happen.

I believe this should be done for circuits like Le Mans as well. Not as narrow, way more modern in its design and amount of run-offs but the traffic and high speed are parameters which can make a simple move a dramatic situation, so is night racing but above all the fact that rookies are let out on such tracks in historic today.

Historic is fun but let's always remember that speed and stupidity do not mix very well in certain circumstances.

such a shame that there is no "like" button on this forum

RuE
Old 21 Feb 2020, 18:11 (Ref:3959080)   #17
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Interesting! But being a very bad passenger because easy to frighten, I'd go for an English gentleman Capri owner if I could!
You would be more than welcome Gerard.
Old 21 Feb 2020, 18:16 (Ref:3959084)   #18
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Merci Terry, I take it with a great pleasure!!
Old 22 Feb 2020, 05:41 (Ref:3959157)   #19
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife

Quote:
Merci Terry, I take it with a great pleasure!!
It will be for me also Gerhard.
Old 23 Feb 2020, 13:41 (Ref:3959385)   #20
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
The Norschleife permit isn't a piece of molly-coddling to protect drivers from themselves, much as that is needed, it's also to protect the circuit from the consequences of a serious crash in which driver and/or spectators are killed, by reducing the likelihood of someone taking the challenges of an extremely dangerous track too lightly

The Nurburgring is under constant financial and regulatory pressure and if one of the ways to ensure its continuance is that everyone has to get a permit, that seems a small price to pay.
Old 24 Feb 2020, 10:59 (Ref:3959522)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
The Norschleife permit isn't a piece of molly-coddling to protect drivers from themselves, much as that is needed, it's also to protect the circuit from the consequences of a serious crash in which driver and/or spectators are killed, by reducing the likelihood of someone taking the challenges of an extremely dangerous track too lightly

The Nurburgring is under constant financial and regulatory pressure and if one of the ways to ensure its continuance is that everyone has to get a permit, that seems a small price to pay.
The serious crash happened to an inexperienced(real life) English driver. Pushing much to hard at Flugplatz, launched upwards, gust of wind carried the car over the FIA catch fencing and landed on a spectator.
I have to say that the speed carried was probably too much for the preceeding right curve immediately after Flugplatz.
There have been many thousands of first time drivers here, who have possibly had a bit more respect for the place,
who have not crashed here. We're they just lucky?
Old 24 Feb 2020, 11:26 (Ref:3959529)   #22
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Looking at what the recovery trucks bring back to the pits during a track day, yes many are lucky. I would point a certain lack of humility… The place can bite.
Old 24 Feb 2020, 21:09 (Ref:3959627)   #23
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
There have been many thousands of first time drivers here, who have possibly had a bit more respect for the place,
who have not crashed here. We're they just lucky?
You answered your own question, IMHO. Most of those drivers were also not racing. Those that were, had to take a permit to help ensure that they gained that respect. I'm quite content for 100,000 drivers to have to take that permit if it prevents one fatal crash which could jeopardise the future of a unique and wonderful track.
Old 25 Feb 2020, 05:14 (Ref:3959689)   #24
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
You answered your own question, IMHO. Most of those drivers were also not racing. Those that were, had to take a permit to help ensure that they gained that respect. I'm quite content for 100,000 drivers to have to take that permit if it prevents one fatal crash which could jeopardise the future of a unique and wonderful track.
Didn't quite make myself clear on what I was referring to. My reference was to the thousands of first time Racers, not the many thousands of TF drivers we get here every season. Some go into attack mode on their first or second lap. Not the ideal frame of mind that apparently video games tend to encourage for some drivers. Only one of many instances from last year alone was of an Asian guy who was proudly announcing that he had done 1300 laps on his computer game. He opted for for just one lap of instruction.
On board camera of the rented car shows him dropping Dow to Breidscheid Bridge, dabbed the brakes way too early, accelerated as hard as he could, then suddenly realised he wasn't where he thought he was braked hard approximately one and a half meters from the right side wall. Car was almost totalled as the wall was harder than the car. Driver was OK though I think.
Yes, the Nordschleife is unique, I love Instructing and racing here. The place needs real life learning though for the surface and gradient changes etc etc.
Old 25 Feb 2020, 06:39 (Ref:3959699)   #25
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Yes, the Nordschleife is unique, I love Instructing and racing here. The place needs real life learning though for the surface and gradient changes etc etc.
I think we agree then, don’t we? That seems like the point I was making too.