Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Mar 2020, 08:07 (Ref:3965155)   #76
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
What?
THERE'S AN ECHO

ECHO

ECHO

Old 18 Mar 2020, 09:13 (Ref:3965167)   #77
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Right then,here we go. When I was a lad back in the 50/60's I would save any pocket money and take great delight in biking up to the shop" 6 miles away".Buy a couple of bottles of Corona fizzy pop. I am trying to remember what it cost. I do know that you got some money back on the empty bottle. Anyone remember.Just thought I would lighten up this thread.
Old 18 Mar 2020, 09:31 (Ref:3965171)   #78
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Right then,here we go. When I was a lad back in the 50/60's I would save any pocket money and take great delight in biking up to the shop" 6 miles away".Buy a couple of bottles of Corona fizzy pop. I am trying to remember what it cost. I do know that you got some money back on the empty bottle. Anyone remember.Just thought I would lighten up this thread.
Was it something like 2/6d a bottle?

We used to get Corona delivered, but their depot was only on the other side of the road! I can still picture the guy now, at the door with his crate of bottles.
Old 18 Mar 2020, 09:41 (Ref:3965173)   #79
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I'm pretty sure we used to get 6d back on the empties and have a feeling the pop may have cost 1/6d or even 1/11d (probably both, but as time went on so did the price)...
(Good idea to lighten things too). We had the Corona man deliver and were generally only allowed lemonade and occasionally Orangeade. As a special treat (Birthdays or Christmas) we were allowed a bottle of Cherryade, but Mum used to ration that!
Old 18 Mar 2020, 09:51 (Ref:3965175)   #80
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We couldn’t afford Corona! My father insisted that we drank “council pop” ie water.

“You were lucky.......etc”
Pete and Dudley Moore?
Old 18 Mar 2020, 10:15 (Ref:3965177)   #81
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I fear Mike will be on to us soon. How much is 1/6 in new money.I guess 7.5 p.
Old 18 Mar 2020, 10:32 (Ref:3965182)   #82
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
We had Corona as kids, cherryade took some of my first teeth, along with toffos!

used to get 5p back from the dimply bottles . . . .I remember my cousin and I cycling round Steyning and collecting them from bins!
Attached Thumbnails
corona.jpg  
Old 18 Mar 2020, 10:51 (Ref:3965191)   #83
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Right!

When I was around 11 years old, I worked as a van boy on Idris lorries. As I recall we had a Ford Thames 4D. On the back of the all royal blue lorry was a lemon being squashed. I preferred their Orange Squash and Lemonade. Disliked Corona because it was too sweet. Later on Corona bought out Idris and we got Bedford TK cabs followed by Ford Custom cab. Our depot was in Backchurch Lane East London just behind the old Royal Mint. We lived in Wandsworth so the trip to the depot was either a loooong bike ride or the tube, depending on the weather.

Got paid around 15s a week. I were lucky.
Old 18 Mar 2020, 11:09 (Ref:3965203)   #84
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
We couldn’t afford Corona! My father insisted that we drank “council pop” ie water.

“You were lucky.......etc”
Pete and Dudley Moore?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeXMKygwSco
Old 18 Mar 2020, 11:19 (Ref:3965208)   #85
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
My paper round I got 14 shillings a week .Blooming Sunday’s was awful . Happy days
Old 18 Mar 2020, 11:38 (Ref:3965215)   #86
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Right!

When I was around 11 years old, I worked as a van boy on Idris lorries. As I recall we had a Ford Thames 4D. On the back of the all royal blue lorry was a lemon being squashed. I preferred their Orange Squash and Lemonade. Disliked Corona because it was too sweet. Later on Corona bought out Idris and we got Bedford TK cabs followed by Ford Custom cab. Our depot was in Backchurch Lane East London just behind the old Royal Mint. We lived in Wandsworth so the trip to the depot was either a loooong bike ride or the tube, depending on the weather.

Got paid around 15s a week. I were lucky.
Corona TK . . .
Attached Thumbnails
coronaTK.PNG  
Old 18 Mar 2020, 11:50 (Ref:3965218)   #87
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
We are still going to Brands Thursday to test. You around Gordon.
What you testing Iain? 😀
Old 18 Mar 2020, 11:54 (Ref:3965222)   #88
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I remember when I was a lad in the 50s the "Tizer" lorry overturned on a sharp bend in our village, the word soon went round on the jungle telephone and we all went down and helped ourselves to a few bottles that were in the undergrowth and on the road. We even took the empty bottles back to the local shop for a refund 6d ?
Iain if Brands is on I could pop up if the powers that be allow it, as I am an old man of nearly 50 !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 18 Mar 2020, 12:20 (Ref:3965229)   #89
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Apparently no spectators.
Old 18 Mar 2020, 12:25 (Ref:3965233)   #90
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Are you still allowed to go out, walking, driving, riding, cycling?
Old 18 Mar 2020, 12:30 (Ref:3965235)   #91
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MSVR have announced that testing and track days will continue but no spectators.
Not sure how briefings will be done and not sure how it complies with the request to limit non-essential travel.
I understand that circuits have their own medical staff, too, but if someone did require hospital treatment that doesn’t help the overall picture. Circuit medical staff could also probably get agency work supporting the NHS?
But what do I know?
Old 18 Mar 2020, 12:56 (Ref:3965240)   #92
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the time of writing 2 events that are still going on in the Midlands on Saturday are the Javelin Trackday @ Mallory and Run What You Brung at the Pod.
Old 18 Mar 2020, 13:02 (Ref:3965241)   #93
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yup. Just keep your distance.
Old 18 Mar 2020, 13:31 (Ref:3965247)   #94
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
There are insurance implications, we were contacted by our insurer after the latest government guidance on public gatherings and the effect of that on our duty of care PL aspect of our insurance.

It all depends on your insurer and policy wording, but it may be the case that if you hold (as an organiser) an event that you charge people (or invite) to attend and the worst happens, your insurer may deem that you are negligent in your duty of care to attendees and staff by holding this against government guidance. You can't even get round this by holding an event and using 'attend at your own risk', as you can still be negligent.

I am not giving any advice by the way as I am not an insurance expert, but if I were holding any sort of event I would dig out my policy, read the small and extra small print and call my insurer before I welcomed anyone through the gate.
Old 18 Mar 2020, 13:53 (Ref:3965248)   #95
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Popped in to Goodwood this morning and although there were no entry restrictions, circuit action was very limited with only around 8 cars in the pits including an ex Tony Brooks driven Connaught, Lotus 23 and the gorgeous Lightning envoyette FJ of Pete Morton. https://formulajunior.com/sale/rear-...d-cars/page/2/
I guess all these guys had already committed to the test day prior yesterday's announcement.
As to paper rounds I think was underpaid at 7s 6d but I topped it up with a grocery round on Saturdays, I was always getting ticked off for overloading the tray on the trade bike and squashing fruit!

Last edited by justracing; 18 Mar 2020 at 14:04.
Old 18 Mar 2020, 14:56 (Ref:3965258)   #96
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quiet today, Marks ‘other car ‘is as scarce as his Bellet
Attached Thumbnails
57AB5FE0-3AD7-40CE-9659-4B70C2E63E7D.jpg   067E2444-1378-4A20-801F-C9F886665A0C.jpg   74C18B33-C651-4180-9BF4-3445FB373DE2.jpeg  

Old 18 Mar 2020, 15:06 (Ref:3965261)   #97
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Quiet today, Marks ‘other car ‘is as scarce as his Bellet
Oh dear, did he roll it??
Old 18 Mar 2020, 15:42 (Ref:3965275)   #98
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Imported from Aus.
Old 18 Mar 2020, 15:46 (Ref:3965276)   #99
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Oh dear, did he roll it??
no it moves all by itself.

I gave up trying to get photo's the right way up on here years ago.
Old 18 Mar 2020, 16:07 (Ref:3965284)   #100
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
no it moves all by itself.

I gave up trying to get photo's the right way up on here years ago.
You're still doing better than me - I can't get them on here at all...