Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 18 Apr 2001, 19:19 (Ref:82068)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

After a day spent on the Old Hairpin at Donington Park comparing the Old Panoz Sound and the New Panoz Sound, I can't imagine how anyone could prefer the new to the old. There is definitely a handbaggy sound to the new Panoz.

Of course the way they all kept falling off the track was distracting, but overall I can't say I like the changes.
Old 18 Apr 2001, 20:10 (Ref:82086)   #2
meatballeyes
Rookie

meatballeyes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
... cmon, liz! the new panoz is the way forward. i love the way it sounds. to me, the old car sounded like an overgrown lawnmower. (ill probably get death threats for saying this)

when it comes to big v8 sound, nothing tops the corvettes and saleens.

actually, i heard a rumor last year that the audis were going to switch to non-turbo 4.0litre v8s. too bad it wasnt true. the turbo-charged audis sound so boring (ditto for the peugeot).

at least you got to hear the judd-powered ascari for a while. or did you not like that one either?

btw, how did the new judd 3.4litre v8 sound?

did it really take you 4 days to sober up enough to start posting again? hehehe! (just kidding!)

kipling hugh taylor
Old 19 Apr 2001, 02:59 (Ref:82185)   #3
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gotta disagree with your opinion of the audi tubos. Nothing sounds better than that whine
Old 19 Apr 2001, 11:41 (Ref:82276)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since i believe F1 died when they got rid of the turbos, I disagree with that. And there is something comforting about waking at the middle of the night in Le Mans and being able to tell that the Panoz is still on the track.

Just because something is new doesn't mean it's better. That New Panoz Sound is just new.

I do agree about the Saleen though. A beaut of a car and a nice sound.
Old 19 Apr 2001, 12:27 (Ref:82304)   #5
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new Panoz sound is certainly different, we wouldn't want them all to sound the same would we ?

The yellow Panoz sounded great, i guess that was an older one. The Saleens were great too.

One of the best engine noises i've heard has to be the Marcos GT2, its awesome. You know when one of them drives past. My other favourite was the McLaren GT1, but i guess you wont find them about now.

Woody.
Old 19 Apr 2001, 21:19 (Ref:82484)   #6
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The older 6.0 liter Ford derived Elan engine in the 2000 Panoz has a very nice basso rumble. The newer 4.0 liter engine loses a lot of the bass but sounds more like the old time pre-turbo F1 style engines.

The Corvette and Saleen both use Chevy and Ford big blocks for their heavy rumbling. These things can get insanely loud. If I am not mistaken the Marcos Manta GTs use big block Chevy power as well, in the 5.5 to 6.0 liter range.

The most obnoxiously loud and painful engine I have ever heard was the PTG BMW M3s raced in 1996 in Dallas in the old IMSA/Professional SportsCar series. They could be heard anywhere on the track even over the Porsches and Ferraris. The sounded like they have a broken header. The echoes off of the side of Reunion Arena mafde them exremely uncomfortable to listen to. The Riley & Scott's running Oldsmobile and Ford engines were loud and had terrific backfires on deceleration.
Old 20 Apr 2001, 12:20 (Ref:82658)   #7
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive never heard F1 race, so how do they compare with the sounds of GT cars ?

i know they have a high pitch scream, but how loud do they compare with GTs ?

Woody.
Old 20 Apr 2001, 12:45 (Ref:82662)   #8
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The F1 cars noise level is about the same, but the frequency is much different and it does not seem as bad. The F1 cars do not sound like engines at high rpm. The sound like a dentists grinding tool held up to your ear if you are pretty close. It truly is an awesome sound. The CART cars sound similar, not quite as high pitched because of their lesser rpm range and the turbo makes them quite a bit quieter and easier on the ears. It amazed me how far the cry of an F1 engine carried. We walked into Silverstone from a nearby farm and they could be heard screaming around the track during the first recon laps from about 2 to 3 miles away.