Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Jan 2011, 19:06 (Ref:2813347)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Luca wants later race starts for Euro races.

Good or bad idea? Or is Luca just taking over where Flavio left off?

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2...n-start-times/

Last edited by Marbot; 9 Jan 2011 at 19:23. Reason: God is Good
Old 9 Jan 2011, 19:15 (Ref:2813351)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I would agree. At the moment the races are slap bang in the middle of the day. If I could choose, I would prefer it at around 4-5pm.
Old 9 Jan 2011, 19:25 (Ref:2813355)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
More chance of a late afternoon thunderstorm too.
Old 9 Jan 2011, 19:30 (Ref:2813362)   #4
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree tbh, a race at midday generally screws the whole day, whereas at 4ish you can do something else during the day and still watch the race
Old 9 Jan 2011, 20:44 (Ref:2813399)   #5
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't oppose such a change. But as a real fan I always watch, no matter what time the race starts.
Old 9 Jan 2011, 20:52 (Ref:2813405)   #6
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how would a later european start affect those across the pond and in america?

would it make a descernable difference?
Old 9 Jan 2011, 21:44 (Ref:2813430)   #7
rpolinski
Racer

Australia
rpolinski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
10 pm starts are late enough as it is. At least you can be in bed by midnight. If
Old 9 Jan 2011, 21:45 (Ref:2813432)   #8
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolddustMini View Post
how would a later european start affect those across the pond and in america?

would it make a descernable difference?
A 4pm would make it 10am on the East Coast of the US.

The biggest issue would be getting the European TV companies to agree to prime time. Once or twice a year can be done, Canada and Brazil, but to do it every weekend would make it impractical for mainstream channels, that aren't used to sport at that time of the evening on a Sunday.
Old 9 Jan 2011, 21:58 (Ref:2813435)   #9
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To be honest what on earth is it anything to do with him!

He owns Ferrari not F1, Oh no hang on a minute...

Who is betting they get their way with the turbo 4 cylinder too!
Old 10 Jan 2011, 04:17 (Ref:2813521)   #10
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
It would be good for us! The later start that is....
Old 10 Jan 2011, 04:59 (Ref:2813529)   #11
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
It would annoy me. It annoys my American viewing.

Too much later would disturb primetime or peak hour viewing as well. It might force F1 off our screens in some cases or damage the coverage in others.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 08:21 (Ref:2813556)   #12
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
What about the poor people who have paid through the nose for race tickets? I'm sure they would like to be able to get home on the Sunday so they can go back to work Monday to start saving for the increased ticket price for the next year!
Old 10 Jan 2011, 09:06 (Ref:2813573)   #13
DV_08
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
DV_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm pretty happy with the 10pm on a Sunday night
Old 10 Jan 2011, 10:20 (Ref:2813598)   #14
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No.

I've been to the British Grand Prix for the past two years and leaving the track much later would just be really inconvinient, what with the traffic on the roads, etc.

Personally if people feel that races in the middle of the day are such an inconvenience, they could always record them and watch later on.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 11:54 (Ref:2813642)   #15
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I think the races should be at 1pm, local time, everywhere.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 12:24 (Ref:2813669)   #16
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
A 4pm would make it 10am on the East Coast of the US.

The biggest issue would be getting the European TV companies to agree to prime time. Once or twice a year can be done, Canada and Brazil, but to do it every weekend would make it impractical for mainstream channels, that aren't used to sport at that time of the evening on a Sunday.
That is a valid concern. I don't think the times should be pushed in to 5pm style races, but one hour later might work. What races should be run at which times is an interesting issue, if Brazil and the USA were the last two races I'd suggest that an 8pm CET/7pm Western Europe time slot would be best, which would mean a day-night race at Interlagos. This would mean an improved time zone for the Americas, and a prime time slot for Europe. The preferred time for things like a World Cup and Super Bowl is in the evening in the main markets is that for a reason, although it shouldn't be overcooked. One thing that could be considered, for things other than F1 (WTCC?) is Wednesday night racing so that it isn't up against other motorsport, but that's a side issue.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 12:36 (Ref:2813683)   #17
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grand Prix start times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
No.

I've been to the British Grand Prix for the past two years and leaving the track much later would just be really inconvinient, what with the traffic on the roads, etc.

Personally if people feel that races in the middle of the day are such an inconvenience, they could always record them and watch later on.
Sadly, I feel that the last people who would be considered is the people who
actually pay to turn up at the track.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 13:24 (Ref:2813709)   #18
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I can appreciate that the current local times make travel too and from the track easier, I sure wouldn't mind the races being an hour or two later. I like to watch them live and the coverage here on Speed starts at 7:30 AM for your typical Euro race.

A 10:00 AM race start (here) would be nice and might allow the US audience to build. You wouldn't have to get up so early but there would not be a crossover into other events. This would encourage people to watch the race live but still not interfere with the broadcasts of American football games and other sporting events on Sundays.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 13:37 (Ref:2813718)   #19
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
... I can't wait until there's real news to discuss

Selby
Old 10 Jan 2011, 15:01 (Ref:2813750)   #20
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i wonder how willing SpeedTV in the USA and TSN in Canada would be willing to air the race live.

a 10AM start time on the east coast already overlaps the pre game football (NFL) shows and cuts into the 11 am east coast start time for the games - albeit only in the months of sep/oct/nov.

by way of comparison, the NBA does not nationally broadcast Sunday games until after Christmas, because it knows you dont go head to head against the NFL...im sure people would watch but the advertisers wont be there and thats what im guessing is Luca's motivation for a prime time spot in Europe.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 15:25 (Ref:2813761)   #21
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Luca's right on this. Wouldn't bother me personally but there are big benefits from it

And I don't care for those that go to the races in this respect. It's their choice to go to the race so that is their problem. And traffic isn't that bad on the roads at 7. Plus a later start would mean you don't have to get there so early in the day - I wouldn't be able to go to the British GP partly because it would mean leaving at ridiculous o'clock am

What would be a more pertinent point is if less people would bother attending if it was later, but I can't see that being a problem for Bernie either
Old 10 Jan 2011, 15:28 (Ref:2813767)   #22
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
I wouldn't be able to go to the British GP partly because it would mean leaving at ridiculous o'clock am
Is that really such an obstacle? It wouldn't bother me getting up early one day a year to see a Grand Prix. Besides, when I go I tend to go for all three days.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 15:31 (Ref:2813769)   #23
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well look at it this way - I either leave Wales in the early hours to get to the British GP, for which I would've paid £100 a head just to get in, or I can have a lie-in until mid-morning and watch the race on TV from the comfort of my home with my laptop on my lap without paying anything
Old 10 Jan 2011, 15:39 (Ref:2813775)   #24
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
...watch the race on TV from the comfort of my home with my laptop on my lap without paying anything
if i lived in Europe that would be the rub for me as well.

its already happened over here. ticket prices have become so ridiculous for events that given a choice i would rather invite my family and friends over to watch on my big HD TV with surround sound, eat all the food we want, get to use the internet, and no one has to pay for parking.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 23:39 (Ref:2813957)   #25
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i wonder how willing SpeedTV in the USA and TSN in Canada would be willing to air the race live.

a 10AM start time on the east coast already overlaps the pre game football (NFL) shows and cuts into the 11 am east coast start time for the games - albeit only in the months of sep/oct/nov.
Doesn't that only apply during the NFL season though? I would start the North American races later, admittedly in the NFL time zone in North America, but in to prime time in Europe.

Wednesday night racing is something that, IMO, the WTCC and other series on that level could experiment with. Football fans get something mid-week, motorsport could run that one up the flagpole and see how it flies.