Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 21 Jul 2004, 15:14 (Ref:1042238)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ALMS at Portland Thread

This isn't the "fat ball" thread

It is the space where we can discuss the upcoming ALMS race at Portland this Sunday...

A few questions I want to raise, since they haven't run there in a few years:

1. How will the MG-Lola stack up against the Audi at this circuit??

2. What will Intersport do this weekend???? Run the R&S or do what they did last weekeend with Jon, Clint and Robin in the LMP2???

3. Will the Panoz GT be on better footing here...like they were at Mid-Ohio, where their horsepower gave them an advantage....than they were at Lime Rock and Sears Point - two handling and grip tracks that negate horsepower due to shorter straights, etc.????

4. Will problems for the Lambos and the Saleen continue???

5. If the Saleen can avoid the gremlins, can they run with the Corvettes on this circuit???

6. Can the Pilbeam get back into competitive standing with that Nissan engine, as opposed to trying the stronger Willman (speed-wise anyway, if not in reliability) once again?

7. Any word on whether the ALMS will continue the Qualifying Format they tried last weekend at Sears Point, or will they go back to the old format???

Your thoughts????

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 21 Jul 2004 at 15:16.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 21 Jul 2004, 15:25 (Ref:1042248)   #2
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for getting that "fat ball" rolling Tim.

1) I think this is an Audi track in my opinion. Just a hunch. I have no proof. But mainly they are all Audi tracks. But, the MG-Lola will be quick here also. It will be a good fight. Hopefully they are reliable. I'd also like to see the #20 car step it up some.

2) I'd like to see Intersport bring out the R&S. It would be much better than the Lola B160-Judd combination. It will certainly be more reliable and wont collapse in pit lane. I also don't want to see only three P1 cars.

3) Tend to agree with you. This may be a Panoz track. Afterall, it was in the past.

4) I think the Lambos will continue to have teething problems. Too bad this team isn't better funded. The Saleen will do better.

5) If ACEMCO had more cash they could challenge the Vettes. But it's not gonna happen as it currently stands. Having said that, a second in class may be possible.

6) Still don't care about this class.

7) Like I said in the Sonoma thread, it was ok. Good for TV (although it wasn't televised). Not so good in person. But I have not heard if they will keep it.

Looking forward to the weekend! I have a few other questions that Tim didn't mention. Which Porsche team will step up this week? Will the Flying Lizzard team avenge the questionable penalty with a win? Is this a Ferrari 360 track?
Old 21 Jul 2004, 15:33 (Ref:1042251)   #3
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Out of the Porsche teams, I think that Flying Lizard is really the team to watch and the team to beat...they seem to be able to run and run hard with AJR....

They were dominant at Mid-Ohio...a track that I think posesses many of the same qualities as Portland....

They would be my pick to win the class this weekend...thatis, if the Panoz has problems....the latter is my dark horse...and it all hinges on realiability

Not sure about the Ferrari....

Old 21 Jul 2004, 16:11 (Ref:1042279)   #4
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
FWIW, the schedule is showing two sessions (the old system) for qualifying.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 21 Jul 2004, 17:46 (Ref:1042354)   #5
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would place my bets on Audi in LMP1, a Lola in LMP2, a Vette in GTS and a Porsche in GT.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 18:06 (Ref:1042362)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
FWIW, the schedule is showing two sessions (the old system) for qualifying.

Thanks, paul-collins.....I appreciate it...

Old 22 Jul 2004, 17:08 (Ref:1043652)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that qualifying experiment might have been made for Maximum Junior Photo Ops and that we will see it no more until the next NASCAR visitor comes in.

Did you know that if you win a race in the ALMS and they see you on the podium with Grand Am patches on your racing suit, you will lose all your prize money?

Do you think the Lamborghini problems are with the cars or with the drivers? Mr. Brabham was always, er, optimistic behind the wheel of whatever he drove (fun to watch though). What would be needed to clear up these problems they seem to be having?

Will the overwhelming heat and humidity expected this weekend change the look of the grid or the outcome? Will the Corvette drivers end up with burned feet again because of the way the exhaust runs under the throttle pedal?

Does anybody know whether the SWC race on Saturday is the Touring Cars or the GT?

Have the Bimmerworld drivers gone to moonlight with Joie Chitwood's Thrill Show?

How long will Bob Stretch go before he hits one of the front runners this weekend?

Will adding all that extra handicapping to the BMWs mean that anybody else besides Turner Motorsports and Nik wins the race this weekend? Or would Bill Auberlen win that race in a wheelbarrow?
Old 23 Jul 2004, 16:55 (Ref:1044853)   #8
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Dauntless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Portland is a very nice city, but their track sucks as a road course. Essentially, it is a 3/4 mile drag strip (literally!) with a double-S at the end, followed by another 3/4 mile long gentle, flat-out back section with an S-complex at its end.

Horsepower rules at Portland!

(Read: Audi)
Old 23 Jul 2004, 17:27 (Ref:1044880)   #9
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I would agree...it is as flat as a pancake, too...

But I feel that it is important for the Series to get a presence in that highly-populated (and ever-growing) region of the country....

I wish there was another facility up there for them to race on, but there isn't (and believe me...I asked that question a lot of times...even asked about Seattle International and about Spokane...but both are inadequate)...

and a street race would stink....

Guess it is a lesser of two evils...better to be racing at a track that sucks than not to be in that area at all...

But that's My Opinion...

Old 23 Jul 2004, 17:37 (Ref:1044888)   #10
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are you SURE there isn't an abandoned air field up there some where???

Old 23 Jul 2004, 17:46 (Ref:1044895)   #11
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by jhansen
Are you SURE there isn't an abandoned air field up there some where???

Actually, there ARE good, abandoned or fairly-recently closed military air facilities up there, jhansen...

You're just dying to get me started on that jag, aren't you....

But unless someone with some experience as a promoter will take that project on (even just to use it as a "once a year" venue with temporary bleachers for the event to make it cost-effective for their efforts) the ALMS wouldn't sign a deal to do it....

Maybe we need to make a call to Peter Jacobsen...but he has ties with the PIR people....

But since you asked, I'll get back in a few to "toss out a couple of possibilities" for you...

Old 23 Jul 2004, 17:48 (Ref:1044897)   #12
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
I would never tempt you in any such way!
Old 23 Jul 2004, 18:21 (Ref:1044916)   #13
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
In that case, I'll tempt YOU....

Tillamook Naval Air Station...not far from Portland, near the Oregon Coast....

image from www.airfields-freeman.com

...this site is SO cool...

There are nice road course possiblities at this place....
Attached Thumbnails
tillamooknasten10ths.jpg  

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 23 Jul 2004 at 18:22.

Old 23 Jul 2004, 18:25 (Ref:1044917)   #14
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
That place was for fixed-wing aircraft, and it also was for blimps...

There is a large National Aeronautical Museum there...the runways are still in great shape, and they also have another large hangar that is the largest wooden enclosed structure ever built....

Now see what you've done, jhansen....

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 23 Jul 2004 at 18:25.

Old 23 Jul 2004, 18:28 (Ref:1044919)   #15
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
How close is it to any neighboring population centers?

Nevermind, I see you say it's near Portland.

Last edited by jhansen; 23 Jul 2004 at 18:29.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 18:38 (Ref:1044924)   #16
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
About 30 miles due west from Portland....

At least a course there wouldn't meet the same description given to PIR by Dauntless....and as I playe with it, there ar some really good possibilities for this place...

it still would be flat....

BUt why do the "airfield thing" when a track that can at least handle the needs of the Series and sits in the middle of that population center you would draw from is available????

Now....

Back on Topic:

Weaver said on Windtunnel that he thinks they can run with the Audi there....but I think it sets up better for Champion....due to the straights....

It also is why I think the Panoz GT should go really well here....

Old 23 Jul 2004, 18:47 (Ref:1044929)   #17
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Well I do agree PIR is the best best up there. Funny enough, it's kind of like an airfield track. Very flat with very similar corners.

And I think Audi has the advantage also. Maybe Intersport should have rented a Panoz LMP1 for the weekend. That car did well here before because of its power characteristics. Hopefully the Esperante does well also.

This is one of those tracks where you have to nail the setup though. It's a real comprimise between the straights, the chicane and the S curves. But I don't see Champion missing the setup.

Last edited by jhansen; 23 Jul 2004 at 18:48.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 19:42 (Ref:1044972)   #18
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
With all due respect, the best track in the NorthWest, by far!, is Pacific Raceway in Kent, Washington, just a few miles outside Seattle's city limits. It was formerly known as Seattle International Raceway.

The founding family regained control of the facility just 3 years ago after a long lease during which the leaseholder made virtually no improvements. A lot of money has been pumped into the track over the past several years, mainly to improve safety and spectator access, and it really shows. Plus, there must be 10 million persons living within a 3-hour drive of the track, which is very favorable compared to Portland.

After opening the link above, click on the 'Track Info' link, then on the 'Track Specs' page. The track uses the drag strip as its one straight away, then combines several turns with more than 125' (~40 meters!) of descent before working its way back up to the main straight. The combination of vertical development and complex series of turns make this an engineer's dream (and driver's nightmare... ). The track map and photos do not do justice to the complexity and challenge of this great facility. Handling and setup are really rewarded at Pacific, so IMO this track would set up a terrific Audi/MG fight.

My team has raced at both Portland and Pacific on numerous occasions over the past several years, and I admit to feeling that Pacific is far and away the better facility. I love the place and look forward to going back again next year.

Last edited by Dauntless; 23 Jul 2004 at 19:48.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 19:54 (Ref:1044984)   #19
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
When I brought up this track last summer, when the 2004 ALMS schedule came out, I was told that it couldn't handle major sportscars like the ALMS....

From your many posts, and from other correspondence I've had with you, Dauntless, I'd take your word for it....

Bring it on!!!

Maybe as part of the "2nd West Coast Swing" that the Series does to separate the Laguna and Sears Point dates????

BTW, Dauntless...

How is your season going thus far in Formula Atlantics with your son?

Old 23 Jul 2004, 20:07 (Ref:1044995)   #20
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't know, the road course doesn't look to have much in the way of runoff or barriers. I'd think SIR still has some major upgrades needed to bring in the ALMS.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 23 Jul 2004, 20:13 (Ref:1044999)   #21
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
I agree paul-collins. Looks a bit on the rustic side. Does it have curbs, or am I missing them in the photos? What about barriers for spectator safety? Or support facilities for the teams and officials?
Old 23 Jul 2004, 20:17 (Ref:1045007)   #22
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Hey Tim!

It is true that Pacific lost their safety certifcation from SCCA (the FIA road racing organization in the USA). However, when the founding family got control back they immediately set out to regain certification, and were successful 2 years ago, going well beyond the minimum improvements required. Likewise, they have invested major funds to improve spectator access and enjoyment, and there have been good crowds each time I have visited.

As to not being able to handle ALMS-sized cars, that sounds like a red herring to me. A Formula Atlantic is 4 meters by 2 meters, and likewise, a GT-1 cars is as big as a Corvette. (Come to think of it, a Corvette is a GT-1 car... ) I don't think there are any real issues in that regard. OTOH, safety is a real issue, and until they got their act together there was no way that ALMS or any other national-level organization was going to race there.

I sincerely hope Jason Fiorino can land a sports car race for the track. I am confident that it'd be a big success for all concerned.

Om a personal note, I am engineering for a couple of teams this year while Rennie seeks a pro ride. nothing has come of it so far, though, and if it doesn't, I predict we will back in Atlantics again next year.

Cheers! Stan
Old 23 Jul 2004, 20:28 (Ref:1045021)   #23
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Thanks, Stan....

I wish Rennie the best....as a matter of fact, pull for me to hit that Powerball Jackpot and not only will I do an LMP1 team, but I'll add an LMP2...and give Rennie his shot!!!! He was fast last fall at Mid-Ohio....he deserves to take the next step...

BTW....I was just passing along what others had told me....good news that it has now received the changes needed to the certified and that it could accommodate ALMS cars....

Seattle would be the ideal market...a bigger population base than Portland (by far)...and the ALMS could use another venue to pair up with the schedule split that must occur with Sears Point and Laguna

If the FIA certified it, who are we to object??? That makes it race legal for a series like the ALMS....

Now where is Scott Atherton's e-mail address when you really need it.....

Old 23 Jul 2004, 20:30 (Ref:1045026)   #24
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
If Fiorito wanted to attract an ALMS event, the best thing to do would be to have them come out and inspect the facility with an eye towards identifying any specific required upgrades. I have no quarrel with that.

I was just comparing Pacific to Portland. Portland may meet ALMS's specs, but IMO it remains boring, unchallenging and uninteresting to spectators.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 20:31 (Ref:1045027)   #25
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Side note, that sort of pertains to Portland. Why are American road courses so darn short! The bulk of the ALMS schedule is run on tracks less than 2.55 miles. What gives? Is our attention span so short in North America that we don't want to wait too long to see the cars come around again? Is there any particular reason the tracks here were designed shorter, or it just happened that way?