Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 22 Sep 2005, 10:49 (Ref:1413803)   #1
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Changes To Rally Car Regs?

David Lapworth (Subaru) is suggesting that rally car safety needs a big shake up and that the only way to achieve this is to make radical changes to the regulations. In short this will result in rally cars being less closely related to the production cars on which they're based.

He also suggests that the stages themselves need looking at and will have to be changed to improve safety.

Full article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ly/4259762.stm

Comments?
Old 22 Sep 2005, 12:59 (Ref:1413935)   #2
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I just hope that we do not have "knee-jerk" reactions to this fatality, like happened with Senna's death in F1.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 17:00 (Ref:1414160)   #3
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You just can't have such a side protection like touring cars, there's not enough room, if there is two people side to side.
But how about moving driver, touring car style, more closer to center line of the car, and then co-driver equally, but behind the driver? Of course the roll cage must have a complete redesign then, adding protection to "rear seat" area, too.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 22 Sep 2005, 20:25 (Ref:1414278)   #4
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't mean to sound harsh but the only way to be 100% sure of safety is not to bother at all racing and rallying cars.

I agree with the sentiments above re the reactions after Senna's death, of course there can still be improvements made though. But at the end of the day, drivers and co-drivers know the risk, the way they're talking now as if they are surprised driving cars at these speeds may kill someone and they must stop all deaths. You could have the cars like a nuclear bunker but there would, sadly still be fatalities.

Hope my views don't sound too harsh.
Old 23 Sep 2005, 20:51 (Ref:1415100)   #5
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some time in the seventies, Fiat tried putting the Nav Further back in the Car, to get better weight distribution, the result was a badly carsick Co-Driver, not saying that it cannot happen today, but seems unlikley.
David Lapworths article seems to suggest taking the next Genaration of cars even further from production based than the current WRCs are.
It wont happen, but I would like to see two Wheel drive production based, Narurally aspirated Rally cars, that you have to drive an a sideways manner to get the most out of (Not the lightweight 2wd kit cars of the recent past) This should reduce cornering speeds, whilst increasing spectator appeal, look at the way Seb Loeb drives, top bloke, more talent in his little finger than I could dream of, but dosent look terribly exiting, just as fast as he gan get it to go through the corners without wasting time going sideways.
Also, can we get rid of those big wings? high downforce on a surface liable to change its grip cannot be adding to safety.
Michael Park, RIP. Doing what he loved doing
Old 24 Sep 2005, 08:29 (Ref:1415255)   #6
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm surprised at David Lapworth's statement, rally cars are safer now than they ever have been. Wherever you site the driver and co-driver, there will be an accident, sometime, somewhere, where that part of the car is the part that takes the impact.
After Henri Toivonen's death wholsale changes were made and here we are 20 years on the cars are quicker than ever and tragedys still happen. Rallying is dangerous, always has been dangerous, and always will be dangerous whatever changes are made.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 06:01 (Ref:1422461)   #7
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rally cars are kind of safe, but teams like Mitsubishi make their cars extra unsafe by being daft and having almost no roll-bars in behind the B-pillars! At least you could mandate a double roll-hoop, that the drivers can actually sit in and under, and a big slab of Kevlar behind the doors etc.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 06:26 (Ref:1422468)   #8
mamba
Rookie

mamba should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do what DTM has done

could it be posible to make teams design some kind of carbon tub for driver and co driver. Because the sides the cars are prone to taking huge hits from any like tree's and tank stopers like at the german WRC event "they hurt" also are freindly skippy's do some damage to cars. My mate took a from one in his subaru rs on front pillar on co drivers side and push it in hard enougth. got a photo some were.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 10:33 (Ref:1422626)   #9
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
I don't mean to sound harsh but the only way to be 100% sure of safety is not to bother at all racing and rallying cars.

I agree with the sentiments above re the reactions after Senna's death, of course there can still be improvements made though. But at the end of the day, drivers and co-drivers know the risk, the way they're talking now as if they are surprised driving cars at these speeds may kill someone and they must stop all deaths. You could have the cars like a nuclear bunker but there would, sadly still be fatalities.

Hope my views don't sound too harsh.
Agree with you touringlegend.
I've seen so many good changes since I got involved so long ago, but the risk will stay.