Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 22 Nov 2007, 10:55 (Ref:2073402)   #1
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Superleague Formula - background and general discussion thread

I see that the dates for this Superleague Formula have been announced and Donington is down for the first round on August 30/31 2008.

Seems an odd concept to me but provided it's not too sucessful in attracting the wrong sort of football supporter, I hope to be at that round.

See http://www.whowon.com/sResults.asp?S...StoryID=236785

Regards

Jim
Old 22 Nov 2007, 11:00 (Ref:2073409)   #2
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thats a pretty good looking calender, hopefully there will be some sort of live TV coverage for the series too. Going by the description of the cars they could well turn out to be even faster than GP2 machinery.
Old 22 Nov 2007, 11:18 (Ref:2073423)   #3
lovebritF3
Rookie

England
lovebritF3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what about drivers?
is there rulew on who can drive?
Old 22 Nov 2007, 11:56 (Ref:2073447)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For this to take off, and attract a family of football supporters, they are going to have to talk nicely to the various football associations to ensure that the local teams aren't playing on the same sunday afternoon as their motorsports circus hits town.
Old 22 Nov 2007, 12:25 (Ref:2073464)   #5
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I dont think you neccarcily need to attract football supporters. Once the series has established itself as serious I think a lot of motorsport fans will turn out to see this series, sure a few moan at the moment how its another Premier 1 Grand Prix but really if the series has a couple of good races I think most motorsport fans will be willing to look beyond the fact that the concept behind the series is football. If there is good racing then motorsport fans will turn out. IMO.
Old 22 Nov 2007, 13:43 (Ref:2073523)   #6
roachy101
Racer

roachy101 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it'll hopefully be either mugello or monza for the italian round.
Old 22 Nov 2007, 13:50 (Ref:2073528)   #7
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I follow football. I will follow this series, but not because i am a football fan, because i am a motorsport fan. I fail to see football fans catching on to this apart from maybe the odd event. I think maybe they should of tried to get on the WTCC bill, which it too late now with IFM (which is one of the best single seater catergories in my view). We already have plenty of series, so its whether this series can shine and then last.

Anyway i can see me attending Donington, if it goes ahead. Im still dubious after Premier 1 and everything.

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 22 Nov 2007, 14:25 (Ref:2073547)   #8
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fairly boring list of circuits-what happened to the idea of racing around the football stadiums?
Old 22 Nov 2007, 17:34 (Ref:2073662)   #9
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst I applaud the sentiments behind this series I can't see it taking off in the way the organisers are hoping.

I just don't think that the average football fan with no prior interest in motor racing is going to be interested in this just because one of the cars has his teams colours on it.

What about the sponsors of the clubs? Are they funding the affiliated race teams too?
Old 22 Nov 2007, 18:09 (Ref:2073684)   #10
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If it actually works, it would be good but I doubt it will. Good calendar though, let's hope they go to Valleunga as I'd like to see those cars take that tight hairpin ...
Old 22 Nov 2007, 20:44 (Ref:2073761)   #11
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
Fairly boring list of circuits-what happened to the idea of racing around the football stadiums?
Given the fact that the creation of any street/parkland circuit is likely to involve a significant amount of bureauocracy and investment, it is perhaps prudent to get the series established before attempting to create six new circuits. In addition, it is possible that the choice of stadium to race around would probably be dictated by the clubs involved. Afterall, Club X may have reservations of appearing at a neighbouring ground, occupied by a club with no involvement in the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycuk
What about the sponsors of the clubs? Are they funding the affiliated race teams too?
I believe that the Clubs have no requirement to provide financial support.
Old 23 Nov 2007, 08:05 (Ref:2074002)   #12
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper
I believe that the Clubs have no requirement to provide financial support.
That's true, clubs only bring their name to the party, nothing more. Which of course means that the obvious question is where will the money come from?
Old 23 Nov 2007, 11:18 (Ref:2074078)   #13
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
spot on gfp,

that is the reason why some years ago the project was abandoned

BTW most football clubs live in constant financial trouble, then why should there spend more money in side activities when it's hard to them to afford the ordinary ones is a mistery to me.

One more point: companies sponsor racing series in order to attract customer and sales, whereas I don't see a club funding the same series to raise what... fans in the stadium?

Last edited by climb; 23 Nov 2007 at 11:21.
Old 23 Nov 2007, 11:39 (Ref:2074086)   #14
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_For_Pole
That's true, clubs only bring their name to the party, nothing more. Which of course means that the obvious question is where will the money come from?
I've been ignoring this series, assuming it will go away; but to their credit the website is constantly being updated with (real) news, cars and engines are being built. The plan is obviously for the football teams to receive a cut of TV money, merchandise and sponsorship, but I just can't see it taking off enough to generate enough cash to cover operating costs. A1GP had a unique selling point, but appealing to nationalities covers a much broader base than appealing to football fans of a particular club, and it's taken A1 3 years just to break even.

Not convinced about the planned Donington round; it clashes with BTCC at Silverstone, and I'm guessing any "fair-weather" motorsport fan in the area would probably want to go watch some tin-tops charging into each other than the first race of an unproven series with no British "clubs" taking part.
Old 23 Nov 2007, 13:33 (Ref:2074154)   #15
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, their web site is effectively a blog and I have been told there is only one car (without engine) painted in different colours for each football club's launch.
Old 23 Nov 2007, 14:07 (Ref:2074180)   #16
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So they have reached the same state as the previous attempt at a soccer linked series? Reminds me of another failed series.GP Masters-which had around 16 cars-but only ran about 3 races-maybe Superleague could use those?
Old 23 Nov 2007, 16:08 (Ref:2074256)   #17
HCForums
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
HCForums should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So who are behind the teams, yet another training ground for the GP2 teams?
Old 23 Nov 2007, 16:14 (Ref:2074262)   #18
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Well if they have managed to get sufficient credibility to get Donington to allocate them a date, then they must have provided some reasonable evidence that they exist (or will do).

Prime dates at Donington (August Bank Holiday) are a scarce resource and they won't allocate one of those on a whim.

Donington has always had a bit of a record for getting interesting new events (well new anyway). (Need to improve their record on keeping things though.)

Regards

Jm
Old 23 Nov 2007, 19:12 (Ref:2074348)   #19
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting that their weekend entertainment has no mention of support races either local or part of the travelling circus.

So far they are talking a good game, we just need to see it transfered onto the pitch..Oops circuit
Old 23 Nov 2007, 20:00 (Ref:2074376)   #20
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan
Interesting that their weekend entertainment has no mention of support races either local or part of the travelling circus.
I imagine they will be local, A1GP doesn't have any "travelling circus" support events IIRC.
Old 23 Nov 2007, 22:38 (Ref:2074439)   #21
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I don't see this getting off the ground. There are far too many unanswered questions.
Old 25 Nov 2007, 11:11 (Ref:2075099)   #22
HCForums
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
HCForums should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't know if this has been posted. The Astromega Team (that runs A1GP China) will both run Flamenco and RSC Anderlecht (those are soccer teams).
Old 25 Nov 2007, 12:32 (Ref:2075127)   #23
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
Not convinced about the planned Donington round; it clashes with BTCC at Silverstone, and I'm guessing any "fair-weather" motorsport fan in the area would probably want to go watch some tin-tops charging into each other than the first race of an unproven series with no British "clubs" taking part.
Donington also clashes with DTM at Brands Hatch, while Zolder clashes with A1GP at Zandvoort.
Old 25 Nov 2007, 12:45 (Ref:2075135)   #24
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
Donington also clashes with DTM at Brands Hatch, while Zolder clashes with A1GP at Zandvoort.
True, but I would have thought that there is sufficient distance between those venues to get a reasonable crowd at each. That said, I would expect the DTM and A1GP to get the bigger crowds on the grounds that as a known quantity it is likely to appeal more to most spectators, particularly if travelling a longer distance.
Old 26 Nov 2007, 13:02 (Ref:2075756)   #25
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
sounds like they've taken whatever dates are available at the circuits then, which would leave the ones that clash with big events nearby...

Tags
superleague formula