Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 8 May 2009, 15:03 (Ref:2458016)   #1
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Long circuit vs Short circuit

hi guys,

Wasn't really sure where to put this, but since it's mostly a question for drivers, I guess this is the best place.

We've been discussing the lack of decent racing and entertainment that putting smaller grids on the longer circuit configuration causes. Now that I think of it, there's a lot of circuits that have long and "regular" configurations.

What are your thoughts on small grids racing on the long circuit? Is it something you enjoy doing even if it means that there isn't very much racing?

Is the long circuit a general prestige thing or does it depend on the circuit?

Very interested to see the response!
Old 8 May 2009, 15:53 (Ref:2458034)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I personally would prefer to watch and partake in full grids. Some of the failing championships I have witnessed over the years have had less than ten cars at every round and are normally stuck in the same race with another just as bad. This may be OK for somebody chasing their particular championship but who are they kidding !
Obviously a longer circuit makes the "watching paint dry" syndrome a lot worse especially at the Snett n Silverstone type circuits.
Small grids make for small or no spectators and the oval circuits have proved for years that putting on close racing where you can see all the track pays dividends
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 May 2009, 21:49 (Ref:2458261)   #3
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
kelvin88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which particular circuits are we talking about? I mean. in the UK you have Brands and your limited the time you can use the GP track for. To be honest I don't think the Melbourne loop at Donny or Island at Oulton or going through the woods at Cadwell, really make a huge difference to the racing, regardless of the car count. Silverstone you have choices, but I wouldn't fancy the GP track there unless it was in something very fast. As drivers though, we just race where we are told don't we?
Old 8 May 2009, 21:56 (Ref:2458269)   #4
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I want a lot of traffic to play with - with a full grid of vees at silverstone its still possible to get lonely and have a glorified track day. I want to dice, to overtake, to race, I don't just want to lap a famous track alone and bore everyone.
Old 8 May 2009, 22:01 (Ref:2458275)   #5
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
kelvin88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When you say bore everyone, do you mean spectators? Because all you change for them at Silverstone by changing from the National track to the GP track, is the frequency of the procession of cars!
Old 9 May 2009, 18:59 (Ref:2458724)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As a general rule I prefer the longer circuits. More to get into, proper 'road' racing. Lapping is OK, but racing is better. I'm not sure that shorter tracks give you more actual racing for the driver. I can see from a spectator it is more interesting and shorter tracks means seeing the cars more often.

As a driver I like long races and long tracks. Although I can see how that doesn't provide quick thrills for those who can only see a couple of corners.

Having said that I also enjoy short tracks. The first time I raced at Anglesey it was only my second or third race. It was short and I got into it quickly.

This thread is prompted by a discussion on comprimises. Ideally, for me, it is long races, long tracks, big grids and lots of racing.
Old 9 May 2009, 19:28 (Ref:2458741)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Long tracks for me, Brand GP is awesome to race but boring to watch much better to watch racing on the Indy.
Old 9 May 2009, 22:04 (Ref:2458803)   #8
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I don't mind how short or long the track is as long as I get a race. I've raced at Lydden and been on my own as well as places like Donington.
Old 10 May 2009, 00:00 (Ref:2458852)   #9
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I prefer long circuits, there is more of a challenge and you don't get to lap as many people. As a racer you only need one other of similar performance to make a good race, but more is better, and lately when we have had big fields our race results are decided by when and where we meet lapped traffic.

Jeff