Old 31 Mar 2011, 00:05 (Ref:2856147)   #1
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
Belatti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AIM Dataloggers

Hi!

After using Motec and Pi in a couple of teams I worked for, I decided to purchase AIM to work as a freelance data engineer (mostly for teams that doesnt have enough budget to pay a full time engineer)

The reason was simply price () , the chance to learn to use a different system and that there are no sellers I know for for Motec and Pi in Argentina...

The first issue I saw was that AIM dataloggers seem to be made for amateurs: not too many channels and not many memory. Once you raise datalogging frequency you have not much time to record. Connector quality is questionable, too.

I have purchased EVO4 (the best I could see on their page, it has integrated GPS and 3 axe accelerometer), it comes with MyCron3 dashboard, then I added:
- 2 brake pressure sensors
- 4 linear potentiometers
- throttle sensor
- 4 speed sensors
- steering wheel sensor

Of course that for all this I had to buy data hub and a channel expansion.

Then it happened that I thought I could connect the 4 speed sensors but I could not: you need a special cable to connect 2 sensors from the datalogger box.

The the lap beacon stopped working. I bought another but it doesnt work. I am splitting laps using GPS, but the drivers still cant see splits in the dash.

Now Im afraid the problem is in the box and the moron that sold the box to me will last 1 month to send it to Europe or the States to get it repaired, so Im using it without lap beacon .

Anyway, I will buy a current tester to check if some voltage is comming out the lap beacon connection pins.

Regarding the software, it has somethings better and somethings worse than the competition, just a matter of getting used.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 06:15 (Ref:2856205)   #2
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You should set be able to set up splits in GPS manager and the driver should see them. Is he seeing predictive timing? We have no issues with plugs but they do require very careful fixing to the chassis to prevent cable breakage within the plug, tie the plug and the cable each side of the plug to prevent cable movement.

We have been using AIM loggers for years on karts and there is no rougher environment and the plugs and cables last if looked after. Has someone changed the obscuring period for the beacon or the number of splits in the dash configuration? this will make it seem it is not working correctly. Yes, they aren't the most robust logger in the world but bang for the buck they are a good thing.

Sorry I can't help with the speed sensor cables as we don't use a EV4, maybe Graham Templeton might have some insight there.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 09:29 (Ref:2856277)   #3
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have just sent you a PM. I should be able to help you with the AIM stuff.
Old 2 Apr 2011, 21:20 (Ref:2857535)   #4
RPD Motorsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
RPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AIM can do everything the other can, but the softwear can be a bit backwards and Italian!

More often than not issues with AIM systems are caused in the configeration stage, where they are sensative. Often the settings required are not systematic if you use custom/CAN signals, and if you follow the AIM manuals they often lead you down the unclear path...

Best to have somone experianced with several custom AIM setups to take a look as we have seen several ocations where people have replaced things that just needed an italian style re-format!

AIM is easy to use, once set up. Getting it there can be a pain though if not doing simple things!
Old 2 Apr 2011, 22:16 (Ref:2857554)   #5
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
Thank you all. I have still to check the Dashboard configs to see how the driver can see GPS splits.

In Race Studio 2 dashboard configurator, you only enter RPM leds and 4 channels with alarms to look after.
Old 4 Apr 2011, 09:37 (Ref:2858464)   #6
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPD Motorsport View Post
AIM can do everything the other can, but the softwear can be a bit backwards and Italian!

More often than not issues with AIM systems are caused in the configeration stage, where they are sensative. Often the settings required are not systematic if you use custom/CAN signals, and if you follow the AIM manuals they often lead you down the unclear path...

Best to have somone experianced with several custom AIM setups to take a look as we have seen several ocations where people have replaced things that just needed an italian style re-format!

AIM is easy to use, once set up. Getting it there can be a pain though if not doing simple things!
Amen to that, as mentioned AIM's biggest problem is documentation closely followed by software that never gets out of BETA. Always keep an older version of RS that you know works as using a new version is like playing a slot machine, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

Another is RS has some entrenched problems that have never been addressed, the track report being one. It will not give multiple lap reports/results and has been like this for years with no explanation or attempt to fix it. The big plus is that all the software is given freely by the company which means you can always have the latest version even if it might be a bit buggy at times. Given the problems it is still a good bang for the buck but local support always counts in these things.
Old 5 Apr 2011, 18:09 (Ref:2859288)   #7
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
Thanks Casper.

Anybody had a problem with the personalized sensor calibration?

I create a sensor, type in the curve values and then when I want to check in the "online" to see if it is working, nothing seems to be moving...

So, till now I have to use "linear" sensor calibrations...
Old 7 Apr 2011, 06:04 (Ref:2860008)   #8
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belatti View Post
Thanks Casper.

Anybody had a problem with the personalized sensor calibration?

I create a sensor, type in the curve values and then when I want to check in the "online" to see if it is working, nothing seems to be moving...

So, till now I have to use "linear" sensor calibrations...
I have never had issues with custom sensors, it is important to select the correct sensor in the drop down menu before anything else, this goes without saying I suppose. Graham T who posts here occasionally would be the best to comment on the total process as it has been a couple of years since I have done one and I have old timers disease. Send him a PM.
Old 7 Apr 2011, 22:54 (Ref:2860350)   #9
Graham_T
Rookie

Graham_T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The custom sensor screen part of the Race Studio set up is one of the things that reminds you that you are dealing with a system that costs significantly less than its professional counterparts. It is not a smooth or simple process, but it is possible. You need to create a custom sensor definition with its own unique name and it sounds like this is what you have done already.

But the excitement does not end there. You have then to use that definition in the AIM Systems Manager - Channels part of the program. Choose the channel number that your custom sensor is plugged in to and, if you have done things correctly, your custom sensor should appear in the drop down box (using the name that you gave it) in the 'Sensor Type' column. Select this as your sensor type. So now channel number x shows your sensor definition name as the 'sensor type'.

Next you need to transmit this to the logger. Once this is done, your sensor should appear if you look at the system on line. I have never failed to measure output from a custom sensor if it has a proper definition, that definition is chosen as the sensor type and it has been transmitted to the logger. I have had problems with the system failing to add the sensor to the drop-down list immediately (but it will generally appear on the second or third attempt) or because I forgot to select and transmit the new sensor definition.

Hope this helps. I agree with Casper that the documentation is woeful, but life is not simple elsewhere. Try using something like Pi or Stack, where even getting access to the software that you have paid for is not that simple and then you might not be so peed off with AIM. On the plus side, if you find a bug in the AIM programs and write them a polite, constructive, well documented email, the bug gets fixed. They never own up to the problem, but it mysteriously disappears in the next release. They are also happy to try to solve any problems that you might have and will listen and respond to suggestions for improvement. They are, to my mind, simply the best value for money by far. And I don't work for them or get paid by them. But I can be bought....

GT
Old 13 Apr 2011, 23:00 (Ref:2863077)   #10
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
Thanks Graham!

I used to believe that AIM is the best value for money, too. But after an internal acelerometer stops working (and I can assure that the box has never been hit) and that the lap beacon receiver doesnt work Im starting to doubt a little but..

I will try the sensor calibration like you tought me and then tell you.

I will also write to AIM to see what can I do...

Also, if anybody there knows how to fix a Penny+Gilles linear potentiometer (I used it for suspension) please tell me what can I do.

It only works in the first and final 5mm of stroke, I believe that it was installed in such a bad way the rod was working "crooked" and so the internal track may look like a banana... the bad news is I cant dismantle the thing....
Old 13 Apr 2011, 23:02 (Ref:2863078)   #11
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
BTW, USD 330 for such a "simple" sensor sounds like robbery to me
Old 13 Apr 2011, 23:17 (Ref:2863083)   #12
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
Other things to add would be the GPS manager. File extension confuses me a lot and the user manual sucks.

The race studio exports files with extension .kml and .gpx

The logger saves files
.drk
.dat
.gpk
.rrk and
.bak

The GPS manager loads files .kmb and .gpk

Old 14 Apr 2011, 10:05 (Ref:2863185)   #13
RF_Racer
Veteran

Little surprised that you are having so much issues.

Sensors that are not pre set in the software, you would need to manually compute. Once you do that there should not be any issues.

Documentation is not the best, but you dealer should be giving you support.

http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...gr_106_eng.pdf

Regards to GPS, have a read of the manual.
Old 14 Apr 2011, 10:22 (Ref:2863191)   #14
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Buy a Racepak unit. Bit more expensive, but it just works, has good support, a good manual, and doesn't require several file types and programs just to get your data working. Not quite plug-and-play, but only about 30 minutes more than that.
Old 14 Apr 2011, 17:12 (Ref:2863364)   #15
RF_Racer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe View Post
Buy a Racepak unit. Bit more expensive, but it just works, has good support, a good manual, and doesn't require several file types and programs just to get your data working. Not quite plug-and-play, but only about 30 minutes more than that.
Nothing wrong with AIM. Been using it for 3 years never had any issues. Only thing that failed was a non AIM interface box for my EVO3.The MXL worked fine and never missed a beat, my new EVO4 seems to be working well also. All sensor doing what they should do. Sensors can be tricky if they are not preset, otherwise it is a case of creating a custom one with the right parameters.

No system is ever plug and play and you certainly will not get one to give you all data at the click on a button.

Manuals are there to be read and information digested..

Sometimes systems can fail in which case you should send it back to the Manufacturer.

Last edited by RF_Racer; 14 Apr 2011 at 17:17.
Old 14 Apr 2011, 17:16 (Ref:2863365)   #16
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I get all my data at little more than a click of a button.
Old 14 Apr 2011, 18:13 (Ref:2863384)   #17
RPD Motorsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
RPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exactly 2 clicks on our cars....
Old 14 Apr 2011, 21:43 (Ref:2863474)   #18
RF_Racer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPD Motorsport View Post
Exactly 2 clicks on our cars....
Did you swap over the EVO 4 to the new car?
Old 15 Apr 2011, 16:18 (Ref:2863839)   #19
RPD Motorsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Nope, using an Evo3 pro ATM. All the sensors have different plugs (as do the Evo3 and Evo4) and it was working fine and corectly configured so I left it alone.
Old 21 Apr 2011, 22:32 (Ref:2867836)   #20
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
My laptop stucks with the click of a button...

Im having troubles with race studio analysis... I will try installing the last release v2.42... I have 2.40 now
Old 22 Apr 2011, 06:17 (Ref:2867949)   #21
Casper
Veteran

The latest version of RS (2.42.06) has some major changes in it and you can DL a PP presentation to see them. they centre around dragging plots for overlay, autoranging the graph and a few other tricks.
Old 5 Jul 2011, 02:18 (Ref:2918288)   #22
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
Almost magically and without warning I began having trouble with the GPS lap insert feature when I try to see sessions in the race studio analysis...

When I try to cut a session, the notebook hangs up!!!

I sent a mail to AIM but have no answer nor support in Argentina.

I tried downloading and installing the last release (2.44.04) but no solution.

Please somebody help me!!! Im suffering exporting all data to Excel right now to try to calculate laptimes and splits
Old 4 Feb 2012, 12:44 (Ref:3021431)   #23
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
Despite my earlier trepidation, I'm going to get an AiM system - an Evo4 logger - soon, and possibly a display as well to show predictive lap timing stuff.

What I want is a continuously updated +/- delta time that compares by best lap with my current lap. Not in defined splits. That way I can try different things, and see if they are quicker or slower than my previous best. It will also give me feedback on whether to abort a qualifying lap...

Previously I have used a Racepak IQ3 that does this, and at times it has advised me to abort a lap (save the tyres, cool everything down, and find space on the track before I start a new lap), and at other times it has told that, despite a large mistake, I'm still 0.25 second quicker than I have been, so I should keep going.

The Evo4 can do this, but not sure on the wording and descriptions in the various display manuals (e.g. TG Dash or Formula Steering Wheel).

Code:
None: split mode is not active. 
• +/- Best: shows the difference between current lap time and the best one. 
• Actual: shows actual lap time. 
• Accumulative: shows the time elapsed between start/finish line and the last 
split 
• Running LapTime (EVO4 only): shows the time elapsed from last lap/split 
signal; 
• Predict Lap (EVO4 only): shows the predictive lap time; 
• PredictDiff Lap (EVO4 only): shows the difference between predictive lap 
time of the current lap and best lap time of the current run.
I can't decide whether the "+/- best" or "PredictDiff Lap" are the options I need to do what I want. I have a suspicion that the "+/-" one shows the difference at defined splits in the lap, and is NOT what I want. The other one will try to show how much quicker I will be, and I think will show the delta time that I'm after.

Could anyone confirm this that has used a similar AiM system with delta times?

Thanks.
Old 4 Feb 2012, 15:00 (Ref:3021484)   #24
RPD Motorsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Your quite correct. Its a bit of bad translation from mad Italian. The +/- Best does not shoe cont time to your best. It does not even show the tcurrent lap time elapsed in comparison to the best - it shows the differance in the total lap time you have just completed and your best. It's only refreshed at the start line.

Predicted lap is your instantanoius delta. You can have it compair to your best overall lap (for qualifying runs/to abort laps) or to your best sector from the theoretical best lap (better setting for testing things out) as your best lap may not have hed the best corner x for example.
Old 4 Feb 2012, 17:30 (Ref:3021563)   #25
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
Wonderful. The delta to theoretical best is an added bonus!

There are some very odd translations in the manuals...