Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 30 May 2005, 08:01 (Ref:1314391)   #26
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM
The 1992 edition was the worst I saw : a good race but only 28 cars among them spyders Peugeot from a national serie with 200 cv... and an awful weather.
The grid (numerically) was poor.

The weather was rotten.

But I still maintain that the race at the front between the three Pugs and the three Toyotas was as good as any I've seen.
Old 30 May 2005, 10:08 (Ref:1314485)   #27
Tom V
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
Tom V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely 2000 and 2003 because both races were dominated from start to finish . Never had the impression there was a race going on at the front, more a display of machinery...
Old 30 May 2005, 12:26 (Ref:1314612)   #28
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
My 2 p : I realized that the fact I have still good memories of a year in not only because of the race, but for the mood/meetings/side events too...
Old 30 May 2005, 14:31 (Ref:1314719)   #29
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The worst Le Mans is surely always the one which finished 5 minutes ago..........

Because you have a whole year minus a day and five minutes to wait for the next one.......
Old 30 May 2005, 17:07 (Ref:1314847)   #30
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertPrange
2004 , because it clashed with the Ring 24hr (wich I attended)
Was indeed not a smart move from the German organisation.

Welcome on Ten-Tenths, good to see a German on this forum.
Old 30 May 2005, 18:06 (Ref:1314900)   #31
RobertPrange
Racer

Germany
Germany
RobertPrange should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Was indeed not a smart move from the German organisation.

Welcome on Ten-Tenths, good to see a German on this forum.
Thanks

It was indeed a hard decision : The most important 24hr race or the biggest 24hr race
Old 30 May 2005, 18:12 (Ref:1314903)   #32
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Both in France........

IMO
Old 30 May 2005, 18:38 (Ref:1314927)   #33
RobertPrange
Racer

Germany
Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Both in France........

IMO
Well , i havent seen 220 Cars on the Track at Le Mans , and the circuit itself isnt 22 kilometer long.

So...
Old 30 May 2005, 19:25 (Ref:1314980)   #34
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yeh, but I'm talking about real sports cars not shopping BMWs.......
Old 30 May 2005, 19:28 (Ref:1314986)   #35
RobertPrange
Racer

Germany
Germany
Porsche 996 GT3-RSR
Dodge Viper GTS-R
BMW M3 GTR

sportscar enough?
Old 30 May 2005, 19:36 (Ref:1314996)   #36
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Viper - yes, I'll go with that.

Porsche 911 derivatives, yes, I go with those because they are synonymous with sports car racing.

BMW? Oh dear, I can hear half the membership wincing even now......

No, whilst I'd love to have one sitting in my drive ready for the trip to Tesco's - I'm not fussed about souped up touring cars competing in sports car racing.

Before you fly back at me Robert, may I welcome you formally to the Sportscar forum.... Just treat this as my little joke.....

I'm actually a prototype man, to be really honest. That's why Le Mans will always win out over anything else for my money.

Old 30 May 2005, 21:19 (Ref:1315126)   #37
RobertPrange
Racer

Germany
Germany
Thanks for the welcome

My favorite category are prototypes too and i love Le Mans , nevertheless the 24hr Nürburgring event has some atmosphere wich you cant describe. Maybe its the absurd mix of cars , but its something special and unique and well worth a visit.

And by the way , the M3 GTR is of course a GT car
Old 31 May 2005, 12:24 (Ref:1315705)   #38
Cerbera Speed12
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
Cerbera Speed12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terrible memory for years, so... in no particular order.

1) A mid 80's race (86?) where it was a Porsche parade.

2) Another mid 80's race, the day started in rain and I fell ill and baked in the
back of the car when the sun returned, trying to sweat it out.

3) 1989 when the Jags went out.
Old 31 May 2005, 12:40 (Ref:1315720)   #39
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's interesting that lots of people have cited 2001 as a terrible race - and it was:
  • they spent hours under full course caution, with everyone pirouetting off,
  • the Corvettes parked for over an hour to aviod running after the Saleen was done - and they ended up behind the winning GT,
  • Panoz tried their new LMP07 which had shown pace at Texas, but it was absolutely thwarted,
But the race had some other noteables, including the debut of the Dallara with Mopar power, the MG-EX257s at the front, the Callaway in GT and the first year of the Bentley.

And of course it was immortalized by those Belgian Frontmen...

I'm sure from a spectator's point of view it was terrible to be at, and the rain really spoiled what could have been an entertaining race. But the race itself wasn't destined to be awful on the face of it. Only weather prevailed.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 31 May 2005, 15:56 (Ref:1315931)   #40
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
It's interesting that lots of people have cited 2001 as a terrible race - and it was:
  • the Corvettes parked for over an hour to aviod running after the Saleen was done - and they ended up behind the winning GT,
  • Panoz tried their new LMP07 which had shown pace at Texas, but it was absolutely thwarted,
But the race had some other noteables, including the debut of the Dallara with Mopar power, the MG-EX257s at the front, the Callaway in GT and the first year of the Bentley.

I'm sure from a spectator's point of view it was terrible to be at, and the rain really spoiled what could have been an entertaining race. But the race itself wasn't destined to be awful on the face of it. Only weather prevailed.
Yep, I forgot all those good points... I loved the MGs... and I still can remember the first time ever I saw the Bentley in the pitlane. I think it was during the week before - I was here with my straight suit and tie, from a professionnal appointement -, and we were standing there with a foreign chap - who was he ? - under the sun, and we didn't dare to speak... amazed by the car... and he turned to me, saying, with a very moved voice : "very low !"... I just noded, with a smile... a very impressive moment.

2001 was the entry of the private Audis too... too bad for my favourite, the Gulf livery one... please, anybody to bring it back for a race ?
Old 31 May 2005, 18:31 (Ref:1316060)   #41
Tom V
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
Quote:
Exactly I enjoyed the 2001 24H, apart from the jellows ofcourse it was a good race. I was (un)fortunately not at the circuit so on tele it looked more exciting.

But I would probably change my mind if I had been there

Quote:
Not sure what you are referring too?
Old 31 May 2005, 18:46 (Ref:1316071)   #42
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have never had a bad Le Mans, 2003 come close only because I got really bad blisters.
Old 31 May 2005, 19:52 (Ref:1316155)   #43
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom V
Not sure what you are referring too?
Too obtuse, eh?

Belgian Frontmen = Speed Tribe aka Daniel B. and Patrick Codenys of Front 242

... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 1 Jun 2005, 10:41 (Ref:1316632)   #44
Tom V
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
Right, got it now

Great DVD btw