Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 8 Oct 2020, 16:20 (Ref:4009185)   #1
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What’s happening at Silverstone?

We’ve seen Silverstone lose it’s GT World challenge Europe (SRO), WEC, ELMS, GT Open dates. Why are championships abandoning Silverstone & the UK?
Old 8 Oct 2020, 16:33 (Ref:4009186)   #2
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brexit? ;-)
Old 8 Oct 2020, 16:51 (Ref:4009189)   #3
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I did kinda think that but I’m not sure why that matters so much?
Old 12 Oct 2020, 10:55 (Ref:4010114)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
From what Neveu was saying, Silverstone just didn't want the WEC enough to do a deal.....
Old 12 Oct 2020, 11:32 (Ref:4010119)   #5
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Brexit is a poor excuse if its the official line, especially given 25% of the ELMS, WEC grid, 100% of the LMP2 engines are based in the UK....

...its not like the UK or the EU are pulling up a drawbridge, and if they do then there wouldnt be a championship anyway.

I can understand the uncertainty with not knowing how things are going, but this year has proved that teams and organisers can work through uncertainty.

The commercial side i understand, Silverstone track fee is very expensive and from GN comments on DSC say they are the most expensive of all the current circuits.

In all likelihood its probably a combination, why would ELMS/ WEC risk it when they have perfectly good, and cheaper options in mainland Europe.

What the UK really needs is a decent second option. Donington Park is an ideal circuit, but the pitlane is very tight in comparison so would probably need altering to cater for all the refuelling rigs etc.
Old 14 Jun 2023, 23:25 (Ref:4163773)   #6
v8supes
Racer

v8supes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has the viewing area at Maggots/Becketts been removed? How are you supposed to walk between Copse and Becketts now?
If so this is scandalous imo, it was really the only place where you can get "up close" to the track and it was always an amazing area to view from.

https://twitter.com/McLarenSte/statu...937944064?s=20
Old 15 Jun 2023, 18:55 (Ref:4163912)   #7
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8supes View Post
Has the viewing area at Maggots/Becketts been removed? How are you supposed to walk between Copse and Becketts now?
If so this is scandalous imo, it was really the only place where you can get "up close" to the track and it was always an amazing area to view from.

https://twitter.com/McLarenSte/statu...937944064?s=20
When I was there for the British GTs in May, that whole area was blocked off for the building works - hopefully it will be restored for general viewing as it's a great place to watch from. Also the other great spectating area at the top of the picture (Becketts exit to Chapel) was completely closed off while they extended the seating you can see - again I hope that area is restored for access to the great uwashed.
Old 20 Jul 2023, 12:39 (Ref:4169174)   #8
flatlandsman
Racer

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I understand it the development is a bit like a time share, so they will likely be empty most of the time (making vast sums for the bigger events obviously), there will still be access to the side of the track for spectators as the "accommodation" will be over it meaning the rich people will not have a restricted view from the punters below!

It has taken a fair while to build it, and it is no way near finished despite them saying it would be done this year. I gather it was not owned by Silverstone either. Not sure about that.

They are also building a kart track near where Bridge used to be, that 120 millionish they raise from the GP the last few years coming in nicely then, and they have also demolished a lot of stuff, the old HSCC building behind Woodcote has gone, the old Supporters club area gone last year, (never replaced and all the members quietly dumped from free parking etc) to make way for ever more stands for about 2 events a year when they make money. Money talks sadly and Silverstone now seem to utterly a business over and above all else.

Next in line is the farm area inside of Bridge, i would expect to see that go in the next year or two, they have vast wealth to spend on this now due to half a million people thinking 500 quid for a weekend watching F1 is value. Fair play to them.

Also, a bit like JP they will not in their eyes "waste" money on international events now that bring in no money (DTM, GTWC WEC FIM Endurance, WRX), great though WEC is the calendar is secure, the money is not here, the crowds are not either in respect of what the FIA or ACO will charge to host. I think sadly Silverstone made a decent effort with their last WEC rounds, but the series was dead then in many ways, they were unlucky.

It is a shame but as I say Silverstone now is purely and ONLY a corporate business it is not a sporting venue. JP to be fair to him has not gone that way so much.
Old 21 Jul 2023, 06:42 (Ref:4169254)   #9
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Silverstone's key problem is that to keep the Grand Prix, it needed to remove even more character from the circuit , by creating immense run off areas and ever -increasing gaps between spectator and track. But let's be realistic - I may go to Silverstone for other events (including the Pomeroy this year) and I'm sure some on TT do so as well - but hardly anyone else goes.

I'm pretty sure , based on going to the GP last year, that hardly any F1 fans know or care about any other form of motorsport. The majority of folk I talked to were recent converts , many had never been to any type of motor sport before , let alone gone to other circuits. But they all seemed very happy , and in blissful ignorance of how rubbish their viewing experience actually was compared to any other UK track. Mind you , Donington is appallingly bad compared to how it was - Redgate is miles away from the spectators now.
Old 21 Jul 2023, 08:22 (Ref:4169262)   #10
flatlandsman
Racer

Ireland
Daventry
Agreed, I do not think F1 really has any real relevance to other UK tracks attendance unless say Lando decided to do something, he was Brands GTWC this year incognito to see Vale, if that was public the crowd would have probably doubled, most of the rush to F1 has come via a tv show, quite why that makes people spend vast sums going to watch it is beyond me, but you have to credit Silverstone with making a pure business decision including active ticketing to flog it for all it's worth and then spend a lot of money updating the venue.

What I do dislike is their disdain for fans who want to watch anything else. But as I say the place is now less into public relations and more into making money, something it has almost lucked into doing because of a tv show, but fair play they are milking it nicely.

they "get away" with only paying one of the smallest amounts on the roster for hosting the race so that costs is now largely mitigated.

the best parts of Donington are round the track, up near Mcleans etc, where most people dont go!! It's actually a nice walk.

And I am never really that critical of the place after Gillett somehow got away with almost murder and was never really punished for what he did!
Old 21 Jul 2023, 18:52 (Ref:4169338)   #11
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
I'm pretty sure , based on going to the GP last year, that hardly any F1 fans know or care about any other form of motorsport. The majority of folk I talked to were recent converts , many had never been to any type of motor sport before , let alone gone to other circuits. But they all seemed very happy , and in blissful ignorance of how rubbish their viewing experience actually was compared to any other UK track. Mind you , Donington is appallingly bad compared to how it was - Redgate is miles away from the spectators now.
And this is exactly why ticket prices for the GP are going up year after year after year...

People, mainly the aforementioned recent converts (or the 'Netflix crowd', as some people like to say) are happy with the experience and pricing because they simply don't know any different.

For the younger crowd especially, they're getting a concert, camping, F1 and various other activities rolled into one. They see the event as a holiday, so they're happy paying the same as they would to go abroad.

This is a very different audience to even 10 years ago. I have no doubt that, in the early 2010s, the current pricing would have resulted in a significant drop in attendance.

Nowadays, some people do complain about the daylight robbery but they're in the minority, and there's such a constant stream of new converts to take their place. That's not to mention the people who will complain but go ahead and buy tickets anyway.

I agree with the poster above - it's business, and Silverstone are nailing it. I'm not a fan of the place at all but it would be hard to argue with what they're doing right now.
Old 26 Jul 2023, 13:31 (Ref:4170005)   #12
flatlandsman
Racer

Ireland
Daventry
I am not quite sure how a ticket to a largely amateur racing festival that had an awful crowd last year, is now more expensive than the second biggest championship in the world, namely MotoGP at the same venue

But never mind, saves me a bunch

How did this meeting get so dear, 69 quid for a Friday is sorry to say preposterous, I watched bits of this online last year and i could hardly see anyone there!

Saying that they offer a ticket for post 4 pm which probably suggest where most of that is going, booking fees for bands. That is 20 quick cheaper, do the maths!!