Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 29 Jul 2013, 22:04 (Ref:3283477)   #1
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Abandoned tracks

There is something very haunting about race tracks that have been reclaimed by nature, either because they have been modified or abandoned completely. Reims, Interlagos, Osterreichring, Hockenheim, Monza banking all spring to mind.
The link below shows some beautiful night time, very long exposure pics from Brooklands.

http://www.douglaskurn.com/brooklands

Anyone got any pics to add?
Old 30 Jul 2013, 07:33 (Ref:3283661)   #2
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A repeat of one of my posts from May 2009 in another thread.

A had a few hours spare while I was in London so made a nostalgic trip to Crystal Palace. CP was the first race track I ever visited and I was there for it's final meeting.

As seen on Google Earth with layout and corner names added:

The startline and pits circa 1971...

...a similar view 12.30pm 12/03/2009 (yesterday) - My apologies for the quality, these were taken with the camera on my mobile phone!

A view from towards the back of the grid. A short stretch has been grassed over.

Looking back towards the startline - the tarmac here looks like it could be all that's left from CP's racing days.

Heading towards North Tower.

North Tower in..

...North Tower out.

The Glade

Park Curve. This area was out of bounds for spectators. I never realised the houses were so close. No wonder there were complaints about the noise.

New Link.

Stadium straight. There is a little track by the blue boxes which I think maybe for radio controlled cars.

Stadium straight towards Ramp Bend. The Grandstand and offices now use part of the circuit.

Ramp Bend. I think the concrete wall on the left may have been around in racing days.

Anerley Ramp

Maxim Rise. The bridge from the station that went over the track has gone.

Finally heading into South Tower.

It's sad that there appears to be no recognition that racing took place there. I was chatting to a chap who was walking his dog and he had no idea what I was talking about. There is a little Museum on site, but unfortunately that was closed due to structural damage by vandals!

At least the Sprint has brought some sort of motor Sport back to CP.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 08:43 (Ref:3283686)   #3
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Those are great, thanks. How often does the sprint run? Is it annual?

Your comment about the lack of acknowledgement that racing took place there reminded me of the old, and long built over, Westmead track between Durban (my hometown) and Pinetown in South Africa. The area still features Circuit Road, Clark Road, Moss Road and Hocking Road. As well as the more ambitious Kyalami Road, Suzuka Road, Le Mans Place, Monaco Place, Daytona Place, Monza Road, Goodwood Road, Monte Carlo Road etc.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 09:54 (Ref:3283712)   #4
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Sam Collins (of this Parish) has compiled a fantastic book 'Autodrome' that is a coffee table must have.

Also been following an American group on facebook about the same thing: https://www.facebook.com/LostSpeedways

Nazareth, Pennsylvania today:
Old 30 Jul 2013, 10:56 (Ref:3283734)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
second sam's book, the photography is absolutely excellent.

hockenheim has the abandoned section, of which just the back straight into the stadium remains. that's now used as a car park. the rest was torn up and replanted with trees and the whole area is used by the locals for walking and cycling.

obviously monza has a ton of disused sections that extend beyond just the oval. i've pretty much found all of them on the ground and photographed them now. it's the most important shrine to motorsport on the planet, imo.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 11:14 (Ref:3283738)   #6
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
second sam's book, the photography is absolutely excellent.
Did 'Autodrome 2' ever emerge?
Old 30 Jul 2013, 11:59 (Ref:3283752)   #7
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I went and found bits of the Sudschliefe when Iw as last at the Nordschliefe!

Totally lined with trees, then you find that bikes used to run there in the old days, mental!
Old 30 Jul 2013, 12:08 (Ref:3283756)   #8
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Autodrome...the bain of my life at the time, but it is a great book. The photography was by Gavin Ireland, he is fantastic, am lucky have a couple of the autodrome pics as prints tucked away, I really should get them framed.

Not sure if 2 ever emerged...Sam?!

Edit: A quick google shows it did come out, although I don't know if it available anywhere though and there is also one called speedway buy Sam and Gavin too.

Last edited by chezza; 30 Jul 2013 at 12:15.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 17:22 (Ref:3283860)   #9
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not a track but the Paddock.

Spanish GP 1975. The ill fated race at Montuic used a derelict Stadium for the Paddock.

Since rebuilt for the 90's Olympic Games.

Old 30 Jul 2013, 17:26 (Ref:3283862)   #10
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Reims is always worth a visit.

Old 30 Jul 2013, 17:50 (Ref:3283873)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great thread guys.

Oh and Alan, I've hit that wall at Ramp Bend many times in GPL - but chunder won't thank me for mentioning it.....
Old 30 Jul 2013, 18:13 (Ref:3283884)   #12
Mike E
Veteran

I would love to visit Reims some time.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 18:56 (Ref:3283902)   #13
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Great thread guys.

Oh and Alan, I've hit that wall at Ramp Bend many times in GPL - but chunder won't thank me for mentioning it.....

....the odd GLTL hit as well. My apologies for picture quality

Old 30 Jul 2013, 19:03 (Ref:3283906)   #14
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
I would love to visit Reims some time.
Reims is definitely worth a visit. When these pictures were taken a chap was surveying the site to see what can be done to keep the buildings preserved.

Old 30 Jul 2013, 19:26 (Ref:3283915)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, I'd love to go there too. And Rouen, although the locals have virtually erased all memory of the fact that there was a great race circuit there..... This is quite an interesting read...

http://8w.forix.com/6thgear/rouen.html

and

http://www.circuitsofthepast.nl/en-U...Left=0&AG_MK=0

Last edited by Aysedasi; 30 Jul 2013 at 19:31.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 20:44 (Ref:3283937)   #16
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
This sort of thing fascinates me - it helps if you're a (possibly misguided) nostalgist like me. I have the first "Autodrome" book and also Julian Hunt's excellent book on tracks and hillclimbs in the UK "Motorsport Explorer". I've really always wanted to spend a couple of months on the Continent, looking up the old courses which are mentioned in classic reports and biographies - Motor Sport magazine did a series of features on these tracks which made interesting reading.

Strictly speaking, most of the tracks in Europe aren't any such thing, since they're largely composed of public roads, such as Rheims and Rouen. I've long wanted to visit those lesser circuits which crop up in accounts of overseas adventures by British privateers and smaller teams - Chimay, Mettet, Cadours etc.. And drive down the "Muldoon" - is that possible now? So much has changed at La Sarthe.... And then there's Sitges in Spain, and Solitude in Germany...it goes on and on, it could take me months. Then add to that those magnificent roads which made up the European Hillclimb Championship, all public roads which can still be covered in your own car.

Oh.... and the Targa Florio, and then there's the Mille Miglia.......crikey, I'll need 6 months, at least, cos I also wanted to see WW1 and WW2 battlefields. The cost, the cost........
Old 30 Jul 2013, 21:09 (Ref:3283946)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
It's a hell of a plan........
Old 30 Jul 2013, 21:09 (Ref:3283947)   #18
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Yes, I'd love to go there too. And Rouen, although the locals have virtually erased all memory of the fact that there was a great race circuit there..... This is quite an interesting read...
I'll be in Rouen in about 5 weeks time. I've driven round the old circuit several times but on this occasion I'm hoping to drop my wife and daughters off to do their best with the old town's finest shops while I head off to discover what's left of the race track
Old 30 Jul 2013, 21:10 (Ref:3283949)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Apart from some of the roads themselves, my understanding is that there is virtually nothing.... Please prove me wrong!
Old 30 Jul 2013, 21:54 (Ref:3283964)   #20
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No.2 is in development hell, 80% complete... but its never quite done.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 01:04 (Ref:3284014)   #21
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins View Post
No.2 is in development hell, 80% complete... but its never quite done.
I've asked about the second book so many times at the Brands Hatch bookshop, I must drive the man nuts!

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 31 Jul 2013, 07:11 (Ref:3284092)   #22
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a great idea for a thread! Crystal Palace in particular has always interested me
Old 31 Jul 2013, 07:20 (Ref:3284095)   #23
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I couls show you also countless supermarkets and new flat developments where there used to be stockc ar tracks.

There are literally tens of them!
Old 31 Jul 2013, 09:46 (Ref:3284138)   #24
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
So much has changed at La Sarthe.... And then there's Sitges in Spain, and Solitude in Germany...it goes on and on, it could take me months.
flown over sitges a few times, and each time meant to divert via there when i pick up the hire car. each time i've forgotten. solitude is the one near stuttgart right? due to go past there at some point in september/october, quite tempted to stop and have a look...
Old 31 Jul 2013, 09:46 (Ref:3284139)   #25
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I couls show you also countless supermarkets and new flat developments where there used to be stockc ar tracks.

There are literally tens of them!
I think there's a site somewhere on the web about these, started by Simon Lewis (of bookshop fame). Fascinating.

Most of the old UK airfield tracks have now disappeared beneath the onslaught of Tesco and Asda. In "Motorsport Explorer" the author sometimes has to guess where tracks used to run.