Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 18 Nov 2021, 13:03 (Ref:4084189)   #176
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oglethorpe Speedway Park in Pooler, Georgia, just outside of Savannah has closed after 70 years of operation. Another one gone

https://www.wsav.com/news/race-fans-...s-of-memories/
Old 11 Dec 2021, 12:22 (Ref:4088303)   #177
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
I'm currently writing a piece on Rufforth, once a regular haunt of mine . I first went in 1968 (and walked from York station !),and last visited in about '74 . I returned last week , courtesy of the Gliding Club, and it was an eerie feeling standing on the old back straight. A day or so later I spent a very enjoyable 90minutes with Brian Robinson , whose Lotus Cortina FVA was such a feature of my early visits .

Most will have seen it, but there is a marvellous YouTube film of club racing at Rufforth and Cadwell in September 1969 .

I have lots of results from Rufforth between 1966 and 1977, though mostly special saloons, if you would like copies. Also quite a few reminiscenses.

Are you going to publish your piece?
Old 11 Dec 2021, 17:38 (Ref:4088340)   #178
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Already published, thank you . In Low Flying (Lotus Seven Club ) and probably Speedscene (HSA ) . If interested , PM me and I can send you a copy .
Old 23 Dec 2021, 17:54 (Ref:4091101)   #179
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Augusta International Raceway.

This looks like another sad loss.

https://youtu.be/oD6grqgwfP0
Old 23 Dec 2021, 17:57 (Ref:4091102)   #180
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As always, sad to see.....
Old 26 Dec 2021, 19:03 (Ref:4091373)   #181
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
At least there’s still some traces there, for now
Old 13 Sep 2022, 15:53 (Ref:4125989)   #182
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
I liked the Rally they used to run there every December.

Doing fast laps on the Oval was serious fun as well.
Did those rallies a few times. Sometimes the weather was good, but invariably cold and wet, even snow once, which made it interesting. Always enjoyed the meeting as most of cars were classic rally cars.
Old 26 Oct 2022, 19:31 (Ref:4131570)   #183
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Augusta International Raceway.

This looks like another sad loss.

https://youtu.be/oD6grqgwfP0
I did a deep dive for us a while back, but somehow missed this post. Here's a little more on it. The place was a monster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
There is something eerie, haunting and sad, yet utterly fascinating about abandoned circuits. I've been meaning to read this thread for some time now. Great stuff! I have only read accounts of the he Reims circuit until this thread; looked simple and fast. Only time across the pond for me, I hung around the Gypsy Hill area, and surely would have passed by the old Crystal Palace park and circuit several times, unbeknownst to me. I did, however, know about Brands and found myself hanging out there for a Saturday of historics

Here's one that I never had the chance to get to (wasn't around at the time) and it appears it was just far too ahead of its time. It had a 1/2 asphalt shorttrack, drag strip, cart track and a daunting, high banked 3 mile road course, plus a planned, but unfinished 2 mile speedway!
Augusta International Raceway

In this case, a local nonprofit has come together to try and preserve what is left:
http://www.augustainternationalraceway.org/

Track Map / Arial Photo
Article on track history w/ photos
Video of modern day look at the circuit

Driving a King Cobra, Dave McDonald beat Jim Hall and Bob Holbert in a USSRC race merely weeks before he lost his life at Indy. This is was the only "big" sportscar race held at the circuit:
http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...964-03-01.html

Great article with photos and clippings from that USSRC race:
http://www.davemacdonald.net/gallery...raaugusta1.htm

Fireball Roberts won his last NASCAR race there on the 3 mile road course. Richard Petty, Joe Weatherly, David Pearson, Bobby Issac and Dick Hutcherson are among winners on the 1/2 mile oval. In 1964 Wendell Scott finished 18th at Augusta the week before he won his only race at Jacksonville Speedway.
Dale Earnhardt Jr. has a show on Peacock in the US that visits abandoned tracks called Lost Speedways. Not sure y'all get it across the pond. Matthew Dilner and the producers can be a bit sappy, but I like their stories and the stories of the tracks.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12591286/

One of the first episodes, they went to Augusta. Neatest thing from the show was the concrete letters they had on the wall out front were still there, because no one is going to move gigantic concrete letters!! Can't find a google image off hand.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12824604/?ref_=ttep_ep4
Old 26 Oct 2022, 19:41 (Ref:4131572)   #184
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
I mentioned in another thread that I'm a little under the weather ABD don't feel like working. Found this while slacking off this morning and love this thread so thought I'd share it. Goes along with some previous posts of mine about "The Bridge":

A little more info on the track:
https://bringatrailer.com/2022/10/22...at-the-bridge/

Neat old track map:
https://bringatrailer.com/wp-content...size=620%2C477

Great video of the Cam-Am race held there in 1967.
https://www.facebook.com/GLSmith9823...18292175048529

Paul Newman quote about taking a first ride around the circuit w/ Mario Andretti

Quote:
"It was 1967 and Mario took me around Bridgehampton in a 427 Mustang... my first ride with a professional driver. As we approached a fourth gear,blind,down hill righthander, I thought I'd have a better chance of surviving Custer's Last Stand than this. When we stopped in the pits, I hurled myself from the infernal machine, belly down, kissed the ground, thanked my Maker, and vowed never to kick my dog or as it turned out later, his pig."
Quote:
And at least the track itself is preserved through the park; the two tracks mentioned in the article written by the guy with the crappy Lotus, Bridgehampton and Riverside, are hardly noticeable anymore. Riverside is a mall, and Bridgehampton is a golf course. At least the golf course left some of the remnants of the old circuit.

Brigdehampton then
Bridgehampton now

It's Bridge Golf Course, Bridgehampton NY.
Quote:
Indeed, and as someone who actually enjoys playing golf, I have to admit it would kinda neat to play that course, even though it would leave me wondering how cool it would have been to see a race there. The course, in it's hay day, was something of legend; high speed and if you got it wrong, the dunes were there to bite you.

A good look at the high speed T1 section:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezbcQYdnzLM

Edit
Can Am 68:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xWMuEKfs6w
Old 26 Oct 2022, 19:46 (Ref:4131573)   #185
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Avus grandstands to be restored/repurposed.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...de-grandstands
Any update on this?
Old 14 Feb 2023, 13:33 (Ref:4143663)   #186
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Another one going by the way of urban sprawl...

Historic Rockford Speedway in Illinois Closing After 76 Years

https://www.thedrive.com/news/histor...ct_source=pitc
Old 25 Apr 2023, 12:47 (Ref:4152927)   #187
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Any update on this?
https://www.avustribuene.com/

Middle bit is a multi-use venue.
Old 25 Apr 2023, 14:43 (Ref:4152948)   #188
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post

That's really neat. Clean looking space with history. My favorite things!!
Old 26 Apr 2023, 16:01 (Ref:4153080)   #189
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post

that is really cool, and love the 360 tour!