Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 31 Jul 2013, 09:56 (Ref:3284143)   #26
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There's lots of info on circuits old and new here:

http://theracingline.net/racingcircuits/racingcircuits/

I also have a plug in for Google Earth called Motorsport.kmz which gives the location for most of the circuits on the above website. I can't remember where I got it from but it's very useful

Edit: Google earth plug ins can be found here: http://www.aerialf1.com/

Last edited by Alan Raine; 31 Jul 2013 at 10:09.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 11:07 (Ref:3284165)   #27
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post
Not a track but the Paddock.

Spanish GP 1975. The ill fated race at Montuic used a derelict Stadium for the Paddock.

Since rebuilt for the 90's Olympic Games.

Went to Barcalona a couple of years ago. All I found of the Montjuic circuit was a plaque just down from the cable car entrance mentioning the existance of the circuit.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 12:13 (Ref:3284203)   #28
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebrown View Post
Went to Barcalona a couple of years ago. All I found of the Montjuic circuit was a plaque just down from the cable car entrance mentioning the existance of the circuit.
Apart from a bit of road alignment and the odd roundabout the original layout is still there but as you say there's very little to show it's racing history and what happened there. It must have been an amazing circuit. Blindingly fast in places with a lot of elevation changes.
Old 2 Aug 2013, 15:21 (Ref:3285042)   #29
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins View Post
No.2 is in development hell, 80% complete... but its never quite done.
If the first one gets reprinted that would not be a bad thing. Used copies are $300 on amazon!
Old 2 Aug 2013, 16:46 (Ref:3285070)   #30
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It won't be, but an anthology may well be on the cards, once all four books are complete
Old 3 Aug 2013, 00:10 (Ref:3285202)   #31
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Baypark Raceway was the local track here at Mount Maunganui from 1968-1995ish.Where once Formula 5000's roared around its now a housing estate with a few appropriately named streets.

Old 8 Aug 2013, 03:59 (Ref:3287143)   #32
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been to a few. Lakeside in Qld was abandoned when I went to it (about 2007?) but has since had historic meetings run at it, the old Lobethal road circuit that held the Australian Grand Prix in the Adelaide hills and I have been to Longford in Tasmania but did not drive the circuit.

The most evocative though was the Catalina Park circuit in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney. It was set in parkland and the entire track is still there complete with the railway sleeper fence, you could even see some signs of the rallycross circuit in the 'infield'. Weeds were growing through the tarmac and surrounding vegetation would be an obstacle in places.
Old 8 Aug 2013, 05:17 (Ref:3287163)   #33
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Any photos?
Old 9 Aug 2013, 03:41 (Ref:3287463)   #34
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Any photos?
Google Maps still shows the layout quite clearly.

Enter these coordinates 33°42′44″S 150°18′14″E
Old 9 Aug 2013, 10:24 (Ref:3287551)   #35
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Baypark Raceway was the local track here at Mount Maunganui from 1968-1995ish.Where once Formula 5000's roared around its now a housing estate with a few appropriately named streets.

Had a quick look on Google maps.
Looks like the developers/ fun police did not want anybody trying out the old track.
They don't seem to have been McLaren fans either.
Old 9 Aug 2013, 10:49 (Ref:3287561)   #36
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Any photos?
A quick Google search brings up.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...m/catalina.jpg

http://www.motorsportretro.com/wp-co...atalina_01.jpg

http://www.motorsportarchive.com/Bru...mba%201966.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2667006...th/6644427651/
Old 9 Aug 2013, 14:23 (Ref:3287619)   #37
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks. Why IS this subject so fascinating?!
Old 9 Aug 2013, 23:12 (Ref:3287805)   #38
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
They don't seem to have been McLaren fans either.
Bruce McLaren never drove at Bay Park.I'm not even sure if Denny Hulme did,if he did it was in a touring car.
There was another street track (1960's) around the streets of Mt Maunganui that you can still drive around today,I'm sure McLaren would have driven there.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 07:39 (Ref:3287911)   #39
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post
That's one heck of a grab shot!

These are the kind of shots that I find the most enthralling - the left-over faded signs, what's left of bits of the track. It just strikes a chord somehow.....
Old 10 Aug 2013, 09:37 (Ref:3287935)   #40
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
This sort of thing fascinates me - it helps if you're a (possibly misguided) nostalgist like me. I have the first "Autodrome" book and also Julian Hunt's excellent book on tracks and hillclimbs in the UK "Motorsport Explorer". I've really always wanted to spend a couple of months on the Continent, looking up the old courses which are mentioned in classic reports and biographies - Motor Sport magazine did a series of features on these tracks which made interesting reading.

Strictly speaking, most of the tracks in Europe aren't any such thing, since they're largely composed of public roads, such as Rheims and Rouen. I've long wanted to visit those lesser circuits which crop up in accounts of overseas adventures by British privateers and smaller teams - Chimay, Mettet, Cadours etc.. And drive down the "Muldoon" - is that possible now? So much has changed at La Sarthe.... And then there's Sitges in Spain, and Solitude in Germany...it goes on and on, it could take me months. Then add to that those magnificent roads which made up the European Hillclimb Championship, all public roads which can still be covered in your own car.

Oh.... and the Targa Florio, and then there's the Mille Miglia.......crikey, I'll need 6 months, at least, cos I also wanted to see WW1 and WW2 battlefields. The cost, the cost........
Bugger the cost if you have time GO DO IT you will have memories that nobody can take away from you.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 12:29 (Ref:3287959)   #41
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
THE original Surfer's Paradise International Raceway on the Broadbeach- Nerang road was torn up in late 70s early 80s for a golf course which has now been torn up a lakeside housing estate and the only thing still standing is entrance sign and concrete driveway. IF I can find old photo's will post them.
Old 13 Aug 2013, 03:47 (Ref:3289093)   #42
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Any photos?
Yes quite a few, but I will have to dig them out of an old hard drive. Looking at the flickr link that Alan posted, I initially wondered if they were ones I'd taken (I think I uploaded them to fotopic). Things like the water running across the tarmac appear identical, as does the 'overgrowth'. I took quite a few photos as I wasn't sure at the time which direction the track ran (clockwise or anti).

The race track is shown on google maps in Frank Walford Park in Katoomba NSW, Red Hill St is adjacent to the circuit.
Old 16 Aug 2013, 07:44 (Ref:3290587)   #43
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigs fly View Post
THE original Surfer's Paradise International Raceway on the Broadbeach- Nerang road was torn up in late 70s early 80s for a golf course which has now been torn up a lakeside housing estate and the only thing still standing is entrance sign and concrete driveway. IF I can find old photo's will post them.
Last race meeting was in 1987. The golf course next door bought the circuit, purely to close it down an the noise from the cars was disturbing the golfers. I did a sprint there in '94 or '95, everything was still there, but all run down and neglected.
Old 16 Aug 2013, 11:11 (Ref:3290662)   #44
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
Last race meeting was in 1987. The golf course next door bought the circuit, purely to close it down an the noise from the cars was disturbing the golfers. I did a sprint there in '94 or '95, everything was still there, but all run down and neglected.
Knew about the golf course bit as I delivered some equipment for new course that became Palm Meadows. There was also an Airfield running behind the pits inside track.
Old 16 Aug 2013, 16:10 (Ref:3290731)   #45
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For any interested in Canadian courses, I came across this rather extensive list of abandoned speedways... lots of short-track ovals it seems:

http://www.canadianracer.com/old-tracks.asp

There's also Riverview near Thunder Bay:

http://wikimapia.org/22849894/Riverview-Raceway-Defunct

You can soon add the speedway at Mosport/Canadian Tire Motorsport Park, which is now done and will be re-developed into part of the Driver Development Track I believe.

A few other shuttered ones listed on the 'pedia... Edenvale airport would be the closest road course to me I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...acks_in_Canada

Sorry about the lack of photos... but many are linked from that first set of speedways. I should go exploring.
Old 16 Aug 2013, 19:14 (Ref:3290768)   #46
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigs fly View Post
There was also an Airfield running behind the pits inside track.
So thats where all the noise came from was it?
Old 17 Aug 2013, 03:30 (Ref:3290872)   #47
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
Yep, loved the old track as I could partake in two of my passions in life motor racing and aviation at the same location and only one and half hours from home.
Old 19 Aug 2013, 12:08 (Ref:3291692)   #48
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
Sorry but can't find any old photo's of Surfer's Paradise track nor another track that has come to mind approx. .one hour drive west of Brisbane that used a former WWII airstrip called Lowood and I keep hearing rumours of it resurrected as unconfirmed.
Old 19 Aug 2013, 13:17 (Ref:3291720)   #49
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Looking at lowood circuit, there may be a new circuit but no racing on the old old. The main straight/runway is now a street through a village/small town with houses built both on and alongside the airfield peritrack that was used for racing.
The layout is still pretty clear on google Earth as The concrete is visible.
Old 19 Aug 2013, 15:09 (Ref:3291756)   #50
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
Yep that will it. I haven't been out that way for a long time at least 10yrs spend most time at current tracks.