Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 18 Feb 2019, 20:10 (Ref:3885097)   #26
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've all but officially pulled the plug on this one. Kids are at the age where I can't take a week off without them. Green Park is borderline for a 13 year old. My 8 year old?? Not even close. The wife? HA!

It's all relative, but hope all that can make it, enjoy it!
Old 19 Feb 2019, 00:18 (Ref:3885120)   #27
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
I just read a posting on (the dreaded FaceBook) that Sebring International is reporting ticket sales 60% ahead of previous years. Expecting the largest crowd ever and it looks like they will be sold out before race day.

Sounds very much like advance planning as far as tickets would be well advised.
Old 21 Feb 2019, 10:03 (Ref:3885725)   #28
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
This will be my first trip to Sebring. Arriving Thu evening, I’ll be sleeping in my hired SUV in north paddock.

I’m living the motorsport spectating dream at the moment - Sebring, Nürburgring, Laguna Seca, Goodwood and Monza on consecutive weekends!
Old 26 Feb 2019, 08:30 (Ref:3886679)   #29
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
This will be my first trip to Sebring. Arriving Thu evening, I’ll be sleeping in my hired SUV in north paddock.

I’m living the motorsport spectating dream at the moment - Sebring, Nürburgring, Laguna Seca, Goodwood and Monza on consecutive weekends!
Sounds like my kind of trip! I wish! Enjoy
Old 26 Feb 2019, 20:58 (Ref:3886903)   #30
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One frustration I've always had with the Sebring website is the inability to create an account without a US address or cell number. I've bought tickets at the gate on Wednesday on my previous two trips, but I'd ideally like to book in advance for this one. It's easy enough with Daytona so not sure why Sebring make it so difficult.
Old 26 Feb 2019, 21:00 (Ref:3886904)   #31
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Is that Laguna for IGTC at the end of March? I'm thinking of doing that one since I'll still be in the US then. Eagerly awaiting an entry list.
Old 27 Feb 2019, 13:50 (Ref:3887081)   #32
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus_r View Post
One frustration I've always had with the Sebring website is the inability to create an account without a US address or cell number. I've bought tickets at the gate on Wednesday on my previous two trips, but I'd ideally like to book in advance for this one. It's easy enough with Daytona so not sure why Sebring make it so difficult.
Yes that is a little backward. It is no longer the 1990s. When the race is 99.99% US fans it might be not worth their effort to cater to overseas purchasers, but when the WEC was attached to the meeting that dynamic changed.

FWIW I phoned the ticket office and had no problem booking with a UK credit card and address. They won't ship overseas though (another eyeroll) but at least the Will Call office is open 24-hours.

As an aside, Daytona's website doesn't offer overseas purchasers the option to have tickets posted, but for each if my trips to the 24 I have emailed them asking for my tickets to be posted to the UK and they have done so with no problem. On the other hand, their Will Call office closes at 7pm.
Old 27 Feb 2019, 13:53 (Ref:3887082)   #33
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus_r View Post
Is that Laguna for IGTC at the end of March? I'm thinking of doing that one since I'll still be in the US then. Eagerly awaiting an entry list.
Yes it is. Got a return flight from Heathrow to San Jose on BA for a fairly startling £280. Decided it was too good a chance to turn down.
Old 27 Feb 2019, 16:10 (Ref:3887098)   #34
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Years ago I bought terrace tickets. Not worth it IMHO. The shade is nice, but the view gets a little dull.
Agreed about the view (the often needed shade, too) but also good insurance against rain as I rather still watch the cars go by than not whilst retreating to a dry place (car fer instance) with no view.... We do a bunch of walking when at Sebring and don't prefer to caryy stuff (beer cooler excepted...) so it's also a good spot to just take a breather ('do "picnic" meals up there too), catch some pitstops, and educate many newbies that seem to gravitate to the pit boxes (Gurney and Fangio as they were called in days of yore).

jimclark
Old 27 Feb 2019, 18:30 (Ref:3887113)   #35
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Will be doing will call for tickets as usual - has always worked well at Daytona and Sebring.
We have a couple of Gurney Terrace passes booked for our party of four - allows us to grab some shade, seating from time to time, etc.
Not long now !

Any ten tenthers got an RV by the fence in a good spot that I could take photos from the roof please - for a different angle ?

Thanks !
Old 27 Feb 2019, 22:05 (Ref:3887163)   #36
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
Any ten tenthers got an RV by the fence in a good spot that I could take photos from the roof please - for a different angle ?

Thanks !
Me too please!

That said, at Daytona my polite requests to climb atop an RV for photos have invariably been met with a friendly response. I am sure it will be the same at Sebring.
Old 2 Mar 2019, 23:13 (Ref:3887882)   #37
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Yes that is a little backward. It is no longer the 1990s. When the race is 99.99% US fans it might be not worth their effort to cater to overseas purchasers, but when the WEC was attached to the meeting that dynamic changed.

FWIW I phoned the ticket office and had no problem booking with a UK credit card and address. They won't ship overseas though (another eyeroll) but at least the Will Call office is open 24-hours.

As an aside, Daytona's website doesn't offer overseas purchasers the option to have tickets posted, but for each if my trips to the 24 I have emailed them asking for my tickets to be posted to the UK and they have done so with no problem. On the other hand, their Will Call office closes at 7pm.
Well I phoned Sebring yesterday and was advised not to book in advance to avoid the Will Call queue- and was told strictly that they will not sell out. So that's sorted that.

I've always done Will Call for Daytona- very straightforward (and easy to find).
Old 2 Mar 2019, 23:14 (Ref:3887883)   #38
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Yes it is. Got a return flight from Heathrow to San Jose on BA for a fairly startling £280. Decided it was too good a chance to turn down.
That's excellent. I'm now booked up for Laguna too, coming from Orlando.
Old 4 Mar 2019, 16:49 (Ref:3888237)   #39
scottypinthemix
Racer

United States
atlanta
scottypinthemix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
8 days until departure for Sebring.
I've got the "itis" really bad!
Old 4 Mar 2019, 22:06 (Ref:3888285)   #40
pdxracefan
Racer

United States
Oregon
pdxracefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flying out this next Saturday. We were lucky enough to snag a house in Sebring, about 10 mins. from the track. Both sons and families coming again. Can't wait.
Old 5 Mar 2019, 11:27 (Ref:3888383)   #41
Nickberg555
Rookie

Nickberg555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone has suggesstions about a good inside track spot with a rental car? With a good vibe, good track place and with a big screen??
Old 5 Mar 2019, 18:07 (Ref:3888461)   #42
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickberg555 View Post
Does anyone has suggesstions about a good inside track spot with a rental car? With a good vibe, good track place and with a big screen??
I read that they are setting up a screen somewhere around turn 3 which would be a good spot. If you're on the outside of turns 2-3 (on the midway side of the bridge) you will be outside of Green Park and it will be slightly more peace and quiet.

They also always set up a big screen on the outside of 7 (hairpin) and you could then camp on the inside. This is in Green Park and would be a bit more rowdy. This is also where I camp.
Old 6 Mar 2019, 15:07 (Ref:3888688)   #43
ravenull
Rookie

Brazil
Brazil
ravenull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello friends,
Sebring 1st timer here. I am from Brazil and going for a 15 day vacation in the glorious USA.
I almost couldn't make it to the race due to schedule problems but after rearranging compromises I will arrive in NYC on March 15th. This is the best I could do.
My plan is to rent a car and go from NYC to Sebring (Google Maps says its a 20h trip). Am I crazy to consider this?
So, my estimated time of arrival is March 16th around 9 a.m. How much trouble will I have to enter Sebring, find a good parking spot, etc?

I'm very, very excited for this trip. It's just me and my best friend so ANY piece of advice on how things work around there is valuable.
Old 6 Mar 2019, 17:19 (Ref:3888717)   #44
scottypinthemix
Racer

United States
atlanta
scottypinthemix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenull View Post
Hello friends,
Sebring 1st timer here. I am from Brazil and going for a 15 day vacation in the glorious USA.
I almost couldn't make it to the race due to schedule problems but after rearranging compromises I will arrive in NYC on March 15th. This is the best I could do.
My plan is to rent a car and go from NYC to Sebring (Google Maps says its a 20h trip). Am I crazy to consider this?
So, my estimated time of arrival is March 16th around 9 a.m. How much trouble will I have to enter Sebring, find a good parking spot, etc?

I'm very, very excited for this trip. It's just me and my best friend so ANY piece of advice on how things work around there is valuable.
You're certainly not crazy to consider this.
Have you looked into flying out of New York to Orlando and getting a car there? The drive from Orlando to Sebring is a couple hours on a bad day.
Just a thought so you can maximize your time at the track vs. travel time.
I can't speak on how easy/difficult it will be getting in and parking on Saturday morning if that's what ends up happening because I always get there quite early on Wednesday.
Regardless, you should do it no matter what!
Old 6 Mar 2019, 18:29 (Ref:3888732)   #45
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
I second what scottyp said. See about getting a cheap ticket from NYC to Orlando on JetBlue or someone. Maybe you'll even get there in time for some of the WEC race on Friday? And then the party on Friday night.

I have driven into the facility on a Saturday morning and the traffic does get pretty bad. The one time I did it the traffic was backed up onto the highway that goes into town.
Old 6 Mar 2019, 20:45 (Ref:3888771)   #46
ravenull
Rookie

Brazil
Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottypinthemix View Post
You're certainly not crazy to consider this.
Have you looked into flying out of New York to Orlando and getting a car there? The drive from Orlando to Sebring is a couple hours on a bad day.
Just a thought so you can maximize your time at the track vs. travel time.
I can't speak on how easy/difficult it will be getting in and parking on Saturday morning if that's what ends up happening because I always get there quite early on Wednesday.
Regardless, you should do it no matter what!
Quote:
I second what scottyp said. See about getting a cheap ticket from NYC to Orlando on JetBlue or someone. Maybe you'll even get there in time for some of the WEC race on Friday? And then the party on Friday night.

I have driven into the facility on a Saturday morning and the traffic does get pretty bad. The one time I did it the traffic was backed up onto the highway that goes into town.
Thanks a lot, guys! I am considering taking a flight on friday, that would be very cool ("party" was the magic word, really hahaha). What is considered a 'cheap ticket' from NYC to Orlando? I'm finding prices from $180 to $260 (JetBlue/Spirit).
Old 7 Mar 2019, 13:15 (Ref:3888912)   #47
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenull View Post
Thanks a lot, guys! I am considering taking a flight on friday, that would be very cool ("party" was the magic word, really hahaha). What is considered a 'cheap ticket' from NYC to Orlando? I'm finding prices from $180 to $260 (JetBlue/Spirit).
That's the cheap ticket, and probably what you'd spend on fuel getting there. Plus every road on your way south has major cities and construction projects on them so take that 20 hours and add at least 5-10 for traffic delays. By the time you pay for every required to drive the flight will be a savings of time, energy and cash.
Old 7 Mar 2019, 14:04 (Ref:3888919)   #48
Nickberg555
Rookie

Nickberg555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I read that they are setting up a screen somewhere around turn 3 which would be a good spot. If you're on the outside of turns 2-3 (on the midway side of the bridge) you will be outside of Green Park and it will be slightly more peace and quiet.

They also always set up a big screen on the outside of 7 (hairpin) and you could then camp on the inside. This is in Green Park and would be a bit more rowdy. This is also where I camp.
Thanks man! I will arrive on Wednesday night from Europe so I hope there is some space then..
Old 7 Mar 2019, 17:23 (Ref:3888948)   #49
ravenull
Rookie

Brazil
Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
That's the cheap ticket, and probably what you'd spend on fuel getting there. Plus every road on your way south has major cities and construction projects on them so take that 20 hours and add at least 5-10 for traffic delays. By the time you pay for every required to drive the flight will be a savings of time, energy and cash.
Many thanks for the advice, broadrun. The only downsite is probably that the car trip would be split in two (me and my friend), which makes the plane ticket expensive in comparison. But I will consider this very much, because of traffic delays and energy spent inside a car.
Old 7 Mar 2019, 19:36 (Ref:3888966)   #50
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Man, I wish I was going but I'll be on a trip with my son again. Reaching that point in my life where I need (and really want) to do "dad" things over better than getting shat canned in Green Park for 4 days. Damnit.

Y'all have fun! I'll be skiing in North Cackalacky! Not a bad 2nd place.