Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 15 Apr 2019, 14:33 (Ref:3897661)   #1
kobefly
Veteran

Argentina
Germany
kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!
Advice to get from London to Goodwood FoS

Hello everyone! It's me once again seeking for advice on attending racing events in Europe (I am from Argentina).

This year I will be going to Goodwood Festival of Speed on Thursday (first day) and Sunday (last day) but I will be staying at London (Soho area to be more accurate).

Per my research I should get the Southern train in direction to Southampton Central from Victoria Station and get out at Chichester Station and, from there, I read that a bus (service 902) runs to the venue starting at 7am every 30 minutes.

Some questions I have are:
1) Is it possible to be in Cichester by 7am? I did not see trains leaving that early from London
2) Is there any advice you can give me to do this trip?

I would really appreciate the help of those of you having done this or at least know all this areas.
Old 15 Apr 2019, 17:56 (Ref:3897733)   #2
Stuart H
Veteran

England
Wellingborough
Stuart H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tried using a local bed and breakfast in the area at all?
Old 15 Apr 2019, 18:07 (Ref:3897737)   #3
kobefly
Veteran

Argentina
Germany
kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart H View Post
Tried using a local bed and breakfast in the area at all?
That would make more sence. However, I realized Goodwood was happening during my stay in London that I booked previously. Plus, I am not going on consecutive days. I know it would be a great effort to get there but... it's a once in a lifetime opportunity for me.
Old 15 Apr 2019, 18:12 (Ref:3897738)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Earliest train on Thursday is the 04.38 from Waterloo but it takes two and a half hours and two changes. Try downloading National Rail Enquiries App which allows to to plan journeys by train in the UK. Sundays can the be very hit and miss with travel in the UK as the railways do like to do maintenance at the weekends
Old 15 Apr 2019, 18:16 (Ref:3897739)   #5
kobefly
Veteran

Argentina
Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Earliest train on Thursday is the 04.38 from Waterloo but it takes two and a half hours and two changes. Try downloading National Rail Enquiries App which allows to to plan journeys by train in the UK. Sundays can the be very hit and miss with travel in the UK as the railways do like to do maintenance at the weekends
Great tips! Thank you so much. Aren't there any shuttle services for this kind of event? I am trying to google without luck.
Old 16 Apr 2019, 10:27 (Ref:3897937)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
looking at thetrainline.com, you can get an earlier train from blackfriars, with a change in brighton that'll get you to chichester by 7am on a weekday.

an alternative to the train (which looks messy on the sunday morning) would be using the coach - national express runs from gatwick airport to chichester. so you could potentially get to gatwick airport, stay at one of the hotels at the north terminal (they're around £70 usually so that's down to your budget), and use the 0555 service 206 to get you to chichester.
Old 17 Apr 2019, 06:58 (Ref:3898155)   #7
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobefly View Post
Great tips! Thank you so much. Aren't there any shuttle services for this kind of event? I am trying to google without luck.
Love this thread-reminds me of the last time I went-a few years ago. there was a bus shuttle from Chichester advertised -but driver took us to the race circuitLook me some time to convince him there was nothing happening there and he needed to take us to Goodwood House
Old 17 Apr 2019, 18:30 (Ref:3898274)   #8
kobefly
Veteran

Argentina
Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
looking at thetrainline.com, you can get an earlier train from blackfriars, with a change in brighton that'll get you to chichester by 7am on a weekday.

an alternative to the train (which looks messy on the sunday morning) would be using the coach - national express runs from gatwick airport to chichester. so you could potentially get to gatwick airport, stay at one of the hotels at the north terminal (they're around £70 usually so that's down to your budget), and use the 0555 service 206 to get you to chichester.
This is excellent! I would have never found that information. For Thursday that would be my plan for sure.

Do you know at which time of the day does the activity finish in Goodwood?
Old 18 Apr 2019, 11:55 (Ref:3898385)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Do you know at which time of the day does the activity finish in Goodwood?
I've only been on a Friday and that 'closes' at 7pm - although in truth that seems to just mean that all the stalls stop selling things, there's nothing going up the hill and some of the cars are being tucked away under their covers for the night.
Old 18 Apr 2019, 15:12 (Ref:3898419)   #10
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Can you drive, if so have you thought of hiring a car for a few days, you can get some good deals online
Old 18 Apr 2019, 16:05 (Ref:3898425)   #11
kobefly
Veteran

Argentina
Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Can you drive, if so have you thought of hiring a car for a few days, you can get some good deals online
I am thinking about doing that for Sunday. Good idea!
Old 18 Apr 2019, 17:37 (Ref:3898443)   #12
kobefly
Veteran

Argentina
Germany
Doing further research I see I should rent the car at Heathrow airport because it is Sunday and in the very early morning. I see I can take the blue line (Piccadilly) from Piccadilly Circus Station (which is a 10 minute walk from where I am staying) around 4:30am to get to Heathrow (1 hour aprox), take the car and drive to Goodwood (1 hour and a half) and be at the event by 7:30/8.

Do you think that is a realistic plan?

I know it is not the greatest but I am not finding better options.
Old 18 Apr 2019, 18:34 (Ref:3898448)   #13
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Doing further research I see I should rent the car at Heathrow airport because it is Sunday and in the very early morning. I see I can take the blue line (Piccadilly) from Piccadilly Circus Station (which is a 10 minute walk from where I am staying) around 4:30am to get to Heathrow (1 hour aprox), take the car and drive to Goodwood (1 hour and a half) and be at the event by 7:30/8.

Do you think that is a realistic plan?

I know it is not the greatest but I am not finding better options.
Probably not as i doubt the piccadilly line or any other rail lines will be running that time of morning especially on Sunday.
To be honest if you feel the need to go for two days, I would do Friday and Saturday staying over night maybe Thursday and Friday and forget Sunday.
Edited, It seems there is a better service on Sunday than during the week with the first train at Piccadilly Circus at 03.50
Old 21 Apr 2019, 14:44 (Ref:3898899)   #14
kobefly
Veteran

Argentina
Germany
I see trains even earlier (only on Sunday) but the 3:53 will be good enough to be around 5 at the airport and get the car rental to get to Goodwood.
Unfortunately I have already bought the tickets for Thursday and Sunday so I cannot change days.
I will go on Thursday by train and Sunday with rental car. Many thanks for all your help.
Old 21 Apr 2019, 18:09 (Ref:3898908)   #15
kobefly
Veteran

Argentina
Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
Just purchased this ticket. Thank you too for your help!
Old 21 May 2019, 14:50 (Ref:3905076)   #16
kobefly
Veteran

Argentina
Germany
So I am going on Thursday and Sunday. Logistics solved.

Any advice on how to get the most out of this festival?
Old 21 May 2019, 20:48 (Ref:3905143)   #17
richrad smith
Racer

Scotland
30 minutes from knockhill by road
richrad smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So I am going on Thursday and Sunday. Logistics solved.

Any advice on how to get the most out of this festival?
take your time in your downtime and have a look around. Take a camera with you and make good use of it while ur off post