Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 14 Jun 2021, 18:02 (Ref:4056387)   #76
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Kind of, it will do some of the cooking for me. I need to figure out the power needs and what battery(ies) I would need but looking at a pellet grill with my "hazard" pay because government work and crybabies.

Yeah, I work exclusively outdoors and alone in the field but you know, might get the Covids in my car by myself so hazard pay. I don't know if you're dealing with it but nearly every at home useless employee is trying every single thing to block the return to the office including one person who asked if the carpets were deep cleaned because she wouldn't be comfortable coming back if they weren't.
Old 15 Jun 2021, 17:44 (Ref:4056553)   #77
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Kind of, it will do some of the cooking for me. I need to figure out the power needs and what battery(ies) I would need but looking at a pellet grill with my "hazard" pay because government work and crybabies.

Yeah, I work exclusively outdoors and alone in the field but you know, might get the Covids in my car by myself so hazard pay. I don't know if you're dealing with it but nearly every at home useless employee is trying every single thing to block the return to the office including one person who asked if the carpets were deep cleaned because she wouldn't be comfortable coming back if they weren't.
My office is generally the other way. Our corporate office in another state has dictated policy and has kept people out of offices, but locally most of us want to work in the office! Finally just got approval to have more local control on this after July 4th.

I'm not going to complain if you want to spend your money on a new way to cook meat!
Old 18 Jun 2021, 22:18 (Ref:4057069)   #78
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So, stupid Brit here.

Flights booked. Fingers crossed that others can get over here.
Car safety inspection done.
Camping gear bought.

Need to buy tickets.

So I need to buy

Non-Reserved Tent Camp Site https://tickets.roadatlanta.com/shop...04&nextstate=2
and
4 day ticket https://tickets.roadatlanta.com/shop...=3&nextstate=4

???

Bit worried that the non reserved doesn’t get me in the right bit.
Old 19 Jun 2021, 17:57 (Ref:4057195)   #79
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes sir, that's all you will need. Everything behind our site is non-reserved. You'll have space saved by an angry fat guy. I've done it before. You'll need a non-reserved per vehicle coming in, it's the same price as parking so might as well get the camping space.

Working on test cook part one this afternoon. Bought myself a new toy and testing ribs today. Brisket for the 4th. It's a beast and heavy af so there might be a rental trailer to get it there. And a baby generator to run it.
Old 19 Jun 2021, 21:09 (Ref:4057221)   #80
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
I think it will do, still have to sauce if the wife would like but pulled back nicely and bend well
Old 19 Jun 2021, 21:23 (Ref:4057225)   #81
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mmmmmmm. Nice set up.

Tickets sorted

We’ll bring booze.
Old 19 Jun 2021, 21:57 (Ref:4057235)   #82
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
What day you coming in?

Will have the usual full kitchen, couple grills and canopies. Bring what ya need to eat and drink. Some fat guy will cook what ya bring unless it's something odd. Usually steak night Friday but I'll have plenty of coals and pellets to cook

Old 19 Jun 2021, 23:45 (Ref:4057249)   #83
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
What day you coming in?
Not sure. Bought the full superdooper ticket to give flexibility. And it was only a tenner more.
Quote:
Will have the usual full kitchen, couple grills and canopies. Bring what ya need to eat and drink. Some fat guy will cook what ya bring unless it's something odd. Usually steak night Friday but I'll have plenty of coals and pellets to cook
Will do. I’ll get Dad to grab some duty free Scotch on the way over.
Old 21 Jun 2021, 12:35 (Ref:4057599)   #84
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
As long as you get there, that’s the main thing, although it’s important to make sure you’re getting your money’s worth. And yes, alcohol is a must for long distance sportscar fans!
Old 21 Jun 2021, 14:46 (Ref:4057621)   #85
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yes sir, that's all you will need. Everything behind our site is non-reserved. You'll have space saved by an angry fat guy. I've done it before. You'll need a non-reserved per vehicle coming in, it's the same price as parking so might as well get the camping space.

Working on test cook part one this afternoon. Bought myself a new toy and testing ribs today. Brisket for the 4th. It's a beast and heavy af so there might be a rental trailer to get it there. And a baby generator to run it.
Damn, that is a beast! How do you like it? does it hold temps well?
Old 21 Jun 2021, 17:31 (Ref:4057658)   #86
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Yeah, it's a beast. It is the larger model EX6, there is an EX4 that is smaller and couple hundred cheaper.
It held temp fairly well, about a decent home oven variance. Incidentally, that variance, and the ability to measure it with GOOD equipment, got me booted and banned from a Weber SmokeFire FB group in possibly record time, 4 days I think it was. Don't challenge an old guy and provide the graphs and data of the accuracy and precision of your equipment being better than his Walmart junk.

It ran with a no temp SmokeBoost mode for 3 hours, around 175-225 but it makes more smoke that just the set temp. Boosted temp to 250 according to my notes and ran another 2 hours with them wrapped. Boosted again to 275 to sauce.

And yes, I have the graphs. Channel 1 and 2 were in the ribs, the drop off is when pulled from the meat to wrap before reinsertion. Channel 4 is the grill temps itself. It appears my probe, at the front but same position side to side as the grill temp probe, reads about 20 degrees higher than the grill does.

As you can tell from the pretty pictures the grill isn't evenly warm, much hotter on the right, about 50 degrees but now I know and can rotate appropriately. What, does everyone have a temp chart of their home oven and grills to know where the hot spot is. Home oven it's rear left of the upper rack, always rotate and swap shelves halfway through, and oven fluctuates about 10-15 degrees plus or minus the set temp. Next step when I get back from Jersey is the toast test, cover the entire grill with sliced junk white bread and you can find the hot spots as they unevenly toast. Why is everyone rolling their eyes, I can hear it from here, doesn't everyone do that? Not gonna put 60 bucks worth of brisket on there and not know the flat goes to the left and point to the right fat side down to protect it.

Last edited by broadrun96; 21 Jun 2021 at 17:41.
Old 22 Jun 2021, 15:41 (Ref:4057763)   #87
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Yeah, it's a beast. It is the larger model EX6, there is an EX4 that is smaller and couple hundred cheaper.
It held temp fairly well, about a decent home oven variance. Incidentally, that variance, and the ability to measure it with GOOD equipment, got me booted and banned from a Weber SmokeFire FB group in possibly record time, 4 days I think it was. Don't challenge an old guy and provide the graphs and data of the accuracy and precision of your equipment being better than his Walmart junk.

It ran with a no temp SmokeBoost mode for 3 hours, around 175-225 but it makes more smoke that just the set temp. Boosted temp to 250 according to my notes and ran another 2 hours with them wrapped. Boosted again to 275 to sauce.

And yes, I have the graphs. Channel 1 and 2 were in the ribs, the drop off is when pulled from the meat to wrap before reinsertion. Channel 4 is the grill temps itself. It appears my probe, at the front but same position side to side as the grill temp probe, reads about 20 degrees higher than the grill does.

As you can tell from the pretty pictures the grill isn't evenly warm, much hotter on the right, about 50 degrees but now I know and can rotate appropriately. What, does everyone have a temp chart of their home oven and grills to know where the hot spot is. Home oven it's rear left of the upper rack, always rotate and swap shelves halfway through, and oven fluctuates about 10-15 degrees plus or minus the set temp. Next step when I get back from Jersey is the toast test, cover the entire grill with sliced junk white bread and you can find the hot spots as they unevenly toast. Why is everyone rolling their eyes, I can hear it from here, doesn't everyone do that? Not gonna put 60 bucks worth of brisket on there and not know the flat goes to the left and point to the right fat side down to protect it.
This is brilliant!!! I am pretty jealous you have graphs of grill temps, that is pretty damn nice.

I am aware of the hot spots on my grill, and they are complicated by the fact that the grill isn't quite on level ground, there is a slope from back to front which makes the top side of the grill hotter than the front.
Old 22 Jun 2021, 16:37 (Ref:4057770)   #88
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
What, your wife didn't get you a fancy Thermoworks Signals 4 channel WiFi and Bluetooth thermometer? Weird
Old 22 Jun 2021, 23:51 (Ref:4057810)   #89
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
That is properly ace.

That thermometer is worth more than my grill!
Old 4 Jul 2021, 12:32 (Ref:4059707)   #90
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Test #2 underway, 5lb brisket flats x2.
Old 4 Jul 2021, 18:40 (Ref:4059815)   #91
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Test #2 underway, 5lb brisket flats x2.
What's the rub?
Old 4 Jul 2021, 19:46 (Ref:4059832)   #92
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Salt and pepper right, salt, pepper, garlic powder and chill flake left. So far not at all going as per pellet grill bbq writer claims. At the stall since 11 am so basically not cooking and starting to get to me
Old 5 Jul 2021, 01:41 (Ref:4059863)   #93
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Well I forgot to get the final product off the smoker. But a little dry for me but everyone seemed to enjoy and none left of either one.

I may try a split brisket with a point and flat for fatty and lean next but I think this would work.
Old 5 Jul 2021, 19:28 (Ref:4060002)   #94
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Well I forgot to get the final product off the smoker. But a little dry for me but everyone seemed to enjoy and none left of either one.

I may try a split brisket with a point and flat for fatty and lean next but I think this would work.
That looks the part! We're those flats extra lean, or did they seem about right to you?

I am on a time crunch today so I got some country ribs (I know that term can be applied to many cuts, but these ones were just slices of pork shoulder). You can smoke them for a couple hours, and then finish them in the oven for a couple hours and you get a great product with little fuss.
Old 5 Jul 2021, 21:39 (Ref:4060033)   #95
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
They are choice so already gone be fairly lean. And the flat generally only has the cap so it's leaner, may try it with some broth in the wrap later. And of course try to buy prime cuts.
Old 12 Aug 2021, 18:44 (Ref:4066464)   #96
scottypinthemix
Racer

United States
atlanta
scottypinthemix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it's been over a month and no posts. tisk tisk
I don't have sh!t race relevant to say, other than for the 24 hours of Le Mans we're smoking a whole hog, 2 turkeys, 2 pork butts and a couple hundred wings.
My neighbor has a big bash for the 24. It seems like everyone in our 'hood has a stick burner or a ceramic, so we get them all in one place and start the slow n low Friday morning.
Here's a butt I did not too long ago since we're posting pix of deliciousness.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7194.jpg  
Old 12 Aug 2021, 19:17 (Ref:4066473)   #97
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Sounds like a good do.

I am now tempted to set up my Le Mans viewing outside now.
Old 12 Aug 2021, 19:32 (Ref:4066477)   #98
scottypinthemix
Racer

United States
atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Sounds like a good do.

I am now tempted to set up my Le Mans viewing outside now.
you should do it. the outdoor setup is clutch
Attached Thumbnails
20200918_225613.jpg   20200918_225633.jpg   20200919_215214.jpg  

20200918_202216.jpg   20200920_074423.jpg  
Old 12 Aug 2021, 20:31 (Ref:4066482)   #99
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Wait, all that and only 3 bottles of liquor??
Old 12 Aug 2021, 21:22 (Ref:4066485)   #100
scottypinthemix
Racer

United States
atlanta
Quote:
Wait, all that and only 3 bottles of liquor??
LOL

The bar was in the garage. Those were some stragglers