Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 2 Jun 2004, 14:00 (Ref:991535)   #1
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2005 Indianapolis 500

ok very premature I know but I was just looking at ticket prices and the circuit map and saw that a lot of tickets refer to "Terrace" is that terrace in the UK understanding of it being stabding space or is it seats that are effectively unncovered (one step up from the bleechers) ?

What are the Tower Terrace and the Turn 1 Boxes like for viewing?
Old 2 Jun 2004, 15:55 (Ref:991674)   #2
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: 2005 Indianapolis 500

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulSands
ok very premature I know but I was just looking at ticket prices and the circuit map and saw that a lot of tickets refer to "Terrace" is that terrace in the UK understanding of it being stabding space or is it seats that are effectively unncovered (one step up from the bleechers) ?

What are the Tower Terrace and the Turn 1 Boxes like for viewing?

I can give you TONS of Info on seating at Indianapolis....

The seats that are referred to as "Terrace Seats," in General, are on the infield portion of the circuit.....or the inside of the race track itself....the "Tower Terrace" seats are high-quality grandstands...

The First Turn terrace and the South terrace stands in teh infield are just bleachers...they may still be made of wood....I haven't sat in them for years....

My thoughts on Terrace seats is that you don't see as much of the action as you do by sitting in the stands that are on the outside of the race course itself....

"Tower Terrace" Seats are along pit road....Personally, I feel like I'm watching a tennis match sitting in those seats....

But for the first-timer to the Indy 500 itself, these seats will give you a real flavor for the event itself.....Paddock seats aren't bad for this purpose, either...and they are covered...but I don't think you see as much action from those as you do from other locations...

The Box Seats in turn one are very good seats...the ultimate grandstand at Indy is Grandstand E....but don't look at the Southwest Vista...or the North or South Vistas....they are in the Short Chutes, and you don't see nearly as much action as you would if you were seated on the outside of a turn...

My favorite spot to watch the Race....

The Northeast Vista -- Turn Three.....

Tons of passing, and it is a huge grandstand that seats about 50,000 people...your likelihood of getting tickets in it are very good....

ONE RULE TO ALWAYS OBSERVE:

Your Row that your seat are located in should ALWAYS be "Double Letters" -- "AA" "KK" etc....

The higher you sit in the facility, the more of the race circuit you will see....

My seats in Turn 3 were in Row "CC"

I saw most of Turn 2, all of the backstretch, all of Turn 3, the north short chute, and all of turn 4....

If you are planning on doing it, Paul, send me a PM with locations you're thinking about, etc., and I'll gladly assist you....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 3 Jun 2004, 00:16 (Ref:992125)   #3
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
jenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i was in grandstand E this year, in row E, i can tell you it's an awesome place to watch from, i could see the cars come out of turn 4, all of the front straight away, most of the pits though the back was a little far away to see clearly, and all of turn one. got to see a lot of action, Foyt IV crashed into the wall like 2 meters away from me! i can see why you would want to be up high cos you would be able to see further around, but for me i liked being right near the fence, the cars were so close it was great, i could actually see the drivers in there as they went around...

Last edited by jenna; 3 Jun 2004 at 00:18.
Old 3 Jun 2004, 13:10 (Ref:992703)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was in Grandstand E for Pole Day...and I sit thee every year....

Up High....

and you can see what you saw plus all of the short Chute and all of turn 2, plus the start of the backstretch.....

but to each his/her own.....

Old 3 Jun 2004, 17:47 (Ref:992958)   #5
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope no one minds this link but this also has some info on the stands and which is good etc

http://www.indymotorspeedway.com/indy500.htm

Having attended this year I can also verify Tim is most helpful and knowledgable for any questions you have
Old 3 Jun 2004, 18:27 (Ref:992990)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy H
Hope no one minds this link but this also has some info on the stands and which is good etc

http://www.indymotorspeedway.com/indy500.htm

Having attended this year I can also verify Tim is most helpful and knowledgable for any questions you have

That is a great site, Andy H.....

and as Andy has implied, I'll gladly help you when it comes to seating locations, etc., plus I know of people who work with law firms, etc., who keep me posted if co-workers, etc., have a conflict come up, etc., and would like to sell their seats....and usually, those seats are very good ones....

Just PM me if you plan on making a trip to the the Indy 500....

One last note.....

When you check the "Official" IRL/Indy 500 website to buy tickets through them, and you click on a specific set of stands, it ofers you the option for "highest avaialble" (in the stands) seats.....

Use that as a guide, but don't necessarily order on-line....

Call their Toll Free number, and ask them TWO questions....
use the following as an example:

"I saw on your on-line tickets section that you have seats in the Northeast Vista (Turn 3), and the highest seats up you have are in section 42 (definitely on the backstretch!) in row NN.....

1. "DO YOU HAVE ANY OTHER SEATS IN 'DOUBLE-LETTERED' ROWS AVAILABLE THAT ARE CLOSER TO TURN 3 THAN SECTION 42???"

2. "CAN YOU GIVE ME AS MANY OPTIONS AS YOU HAVE AVAILABLE FROM THE 'LOWEST SECTION NUMBERS' TO THE 'HIGHEST SECTION NUMBERS PLEASE?"

Nine times out of Ten, you will get seats that may not be quite as high up as the "Row NN", but still well into the "Double-Lettered" rows....BUT MUCH, MUCH CLOSER to the Turn, and thus, better seats....

Sometimes as many as 15 sections closer, depending on how early you call them.....

You will always do much better speaking with a live human being, and their box office provides superb service.....

Old 19 Jun 2004, 05:31 (Ref:1008476)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I know this thread hasnt been posted in for a while but I wlll move it over to the trackside forum where it can be discussed further.
Old 24 Apr 2019, 14:11 (Ref:3899393)   #8
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
gonna give this a bump as i found the info here very useful in helping me buy tickets!

and now that i have them (got them yesterday in the mail), hotel is booked, car is rented so basically all the logistics are worked out (with the exception of looking for some off track parking)....now just wondering if anyone has any other advice.

pro tips on how to navigate the track, restaurants that must be eaten at, things to see around town, must see race related activities, best bar to get a drink at type stuff?

thanks in advance!
Old 29 Apr 2019, 19:57 (Ref:3900545)   #9
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
pro tips on how to navigate the track, restaurants that must be eaten at, things to see around town, must see race related activities, best bar to get a drink at type stuff?

thanks in advance!
If you like small town charm, try Zionsville few miles North from metro Indy. Carmel is also nice but a bit more generic modern mixed-use neighbourhood.

Downtown Indianapolis is basically a 9 to 5 office park so other than Legends Day, don't waste your time there
Old 30 Apr 2019, 15:23 (Ref:3900762)   #10
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
awesome and i do like small town charm. thanks!