Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Apr 2005, 03:08 (Ref:1278492)   #276
kramer
Racer

kramer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say the Volvo got sold as a demonstrator (was standard, remember?).

The TR8 went to a club rally driver and got written off. Bob Blandford still has the PRO 706 number plates on his rally car - either on his Mk 2 Corona or the Rover SD1 he built. I don't know if it was Bob who killed the Triumph, though.

Kramer
Old 15 Apr 2005, 04:46 (Ref:1278521)   #277
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Falc, the TRD Supra is alive & well, in fact it ran in '03 at the 1Hr prod sports car race at Easten Creek. It blew past me at an impressive rate down the straight! Only just made the finish though. I think it may still be owned by John Smith.

Kramer the Volvo (I'm assuming you mean the 360) was converted to Gp A rally specs in (I think) '86. About 2 years ago an aquaintance of mine offered it to me for sale. Complete with log books, original circuit spares etc. Not sure if he still has it or not...
Old 15 Apr 2005, 11:20 (Ref:1278803)   #278
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That 360 Volvo was owned by a former workmate of mine (who is these days the proprietor of a prominent Pymble workshop & preparation centre) who rallied the old girl till she could rally no more....

Someone eventually bought it because of the historic significance of the car, but I dont think it was restored to its former glory as intended....

Instead, my workmate bought a Familia... the one they built in a series of ARN articles... the thing was quick on occassion, but loved to eat gearboxes...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 15 Apr 2005, 11:25 (Ref:1278809)   #279
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw the name Neil Lowe the other day associated with a chinese rally team. Would that be the Lowe that has worked for some v8 teams.??????

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 15 Apr 2005, 11:29 (Ref:1278813)   #280
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sure is... Mr Lowe is running a Subaru team in China it seems... after doing the prep work on engines & chassis for Protons and Kias into Asia for a number of years...
Old 18 Apr 2005, 00:32 (Ref:1280786)   #281
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about the Colin Bond's Network Alfa GTV6s?

The Andy Rouse XR4Ti Sierra from the BTCC that went to David Oxten (1986 Nissan Mobil series, ATCC) - Mark Petch (1986 JH 1000) - Neville Crichton (Calder 1987 ATCC) - Denny Hulme (Lakeside 1987 ATCC, maybe others?)

Ron Dickson's Camaro's?

And how about a pair of Amaroo Park masters, Terry Shiel's RX7 and Barry Jones' RX7?
Old 18 Apr 2005, 00:47 (Ref:1280792)   #282
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't the Bryan Thompson Camaro ex-Dickson?

And the XR4 Sierra is probably at the end of some stout chain, anchoring one of Neville Crichton's yachts... all it was ever good for really...

Last edited by Henry; 18 Apr 2005 at 00:55. Reason: added speculaion
Old 18 Apr 2005, 02:54 (Ref:1280837)   #283
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Petch owned the Sierra all along which is way Frencevic drove it at Bathurst '86 after the much publicised bust upwith George Shepherad.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 03:29 (Ref:1280851)   #284
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't the fallout with John Sheppard, ex-HDT, ex-Geoghegan mechanic?
Old 18 Apr 2005, 03:41 (Ref:1280854)   #285
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes it was. Very tired after weekends racing exertions.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 06:56 (Ref:1280917)   #286
kramer
Racer

kramer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terry Shiel's car went to the Stones Bros (no, not the Stone bros) who raced it with Ezi-Pav sponsorship before turning it into a Sports Sedan. I think Barry Jones' car had the same fate, before it went to NZ to be raced there.

Another RX7 was Phil Alexander's, which went to Mike Griffin who made it into a Sports Sedan.

I believe the Shiel and Jones cars were the first two RX7s in Australia - they were the cars Mazda brought here for the Sydney Motor Show in 1978 or 79.

GTR - I didn't know you'd worked with Andy - small world, eh?

The Volvo 360 was pretty sad last time I saw it - late in the 1990s or maybe 2000. It was in need of a shell, in all probability. I was instructing at the rally school that owned it at the time. It was a nice car to drive, quite grippy and had enough power. Still, it was a bit of a basket case. It had a 'clunk' in the front end last time I was in it. The strut tower had broken away from the inner guard.

Kramer
Old 19 Apr 2005, 10:27 (Ref:1281952)   #287
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a guy in Sydney that has the two Dickson Camaro's, says he is going to restore them and won't let anyone see them let alone discuss sale or what ever!

A bit off subject bit does anyone know if John Tesoriero still has the Moffat Monza?
Old 19 Apr 2005, 10:45 (Ref:1281963)   #288
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some more;

- Ron Hodgson's little raced Triumph Dolomite's from the mid-70s
- Craven Mild Racing's Mazda RX3
- Chris Heyer's Audi 5+5
- The George Shephard 1982 built Falcon XE for Alan Jones which won the 1982 Valvoline 250 at Oran Park with Bob Morris, then crashed at Bathurst in Saturday arvo practice by Morris/Fitzpatrick, driven in 1983 by Andrew Harris, given on the saturday night of Bathurst to Dick Johnson.....then from there???

And here's one, how about the white Mitsubishi Colt, seen amongst other places Bathurst 1981, and at the Sandown ATCC round in 1984, where it created an extra chicane on the circuit at turn 1 during the closing stages of the race...
Old 19 Apr 2005, 11:26 (Ref:1281989)   #289
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer
GTR - I didn't know you'd worked with Andy - small world, eh?
Sure did... at a company I noticed in todays' Financial Review has had an administrator appointed.... a very sad end to a business that promised a lot, but never managed to get much over the line...
Old 19 Apr 2005, 11:38 (Ref:1281996)   #290
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Some more;

- Ron Hodgson's little raced Triumph Dolomite's from the mid-70s
- Craven Mild Racing's Mazda RX3
- Chris Heyer's Audi 5+5
- The George Shephard 1982 built Falcon XE for Alan Jones which won the 1982 Valvoline 250 at Oran Park with Bob Morris, then crashed at Bathurst in Saturday arvo practice by Morris/Fitzpatrick, driven in 1983 by Andrew Harris, given on the saturday night of Bathurst to Dick Johnson.....then from there???

And here's one, how about the white Mitsubishi Colt, seen amongst other places Bathurst 1981, and at the Sandown ATCC round in 1984, where it created an extra chicane on the circuit at turn 1 during the closing stages of the race...
One of the Hodgson's Dolomite's went to Gerald Kay and I think is for sale (Rob Roy Garage in Vic?).

The Grice RX3 I think went to Larry Kogge and ran as a Sports Sedan for many years - whereabouts???

The Alan Jones Falcon ended up with Paul Jones for Bathurst 1984. From there?????
Old 19 Apr 2005, 12:11 (Ref:1282026)   #291
Group'C'
Racer

Australia
Hobart /Tasmania
Group'C' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Larry Kogge's RX3 ended up in Tassie and was raced by John Mitchell, got written off at Baskerville I believe and all the running gear went into what was called Street cars in Tassie. Unsure of current status

One of the Dolimites was racing in Group'C' a year or 2 ago
Old 20 Apr 2005, 09:24 (Ref:1282802)   #292
prn 31
Racer

prn 31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alfa GTV6s - I know this stuff!

First off is Ray Gulson's Group C car from 1982. I believe this was the original Alfa Australia evaluation car, NSW reg LPV617 (I think, going from memory) which featured in press evaluations. (The GTV6 wasn't released here until 1983.) Gulson turned the Group C car into Group A spec in 1985 (I don't think it really changed) and it raced into 86. Car sold to Angelo Verga (Melbourne) in 89 and is now with Scott Farquharson in Group C spec and Dulux colours, where it races in Historic Group C.

The original "Network Alfa" Group A GTV6 that Bond ran in late 84 became the yellow Ignis/Montrose Wine car that Bond ran in the first part of 85, then to Paul Halstead in "Toy Shop" colours (white) for Gregg Hansford and Allan Grice(!) then in 86 to Warwick Rooklyn in blue "Pye" colours for Bathurst 86 with Lucio Cesario. Sold in 87 to John Cotter and then in 89 to Andrew Leithhead. Written off in sports sedan race at Amaroo in August 90. (Reshelled as out and out sports sedan originally with Group A bits, but nothing but the log book remains now!)

Ex-Luigi Racing LHD GTV6 brought out for Alan Jones in yellow Ignis/Montrose Wine colours. Reverted to Bond when Jones went o/s. Raced at Bathurst 85 with Bond & Hansford to class win and 8th outright. Written off at wet Enduro round at Surfers Paradise in infamous 11 car pile up! Rebuilt into new shell without a chassis number in RHD form, but as continuation of "Luigi" log book and raced by Bond into 86. Sold to Frank Porter and now with Hugh Harrison in Melbourne with "big" engine. To be converted back to original Group A spec in time.

While we are on Group A Alfas. May as well mention the 75 Turbo that Bond ran in 87. Of course Cesario crashed it at Bathurst, but it was rebuilt and last raced by Bond at the AGP support that year. John Cotter tried to buy it in 88, but it eventually went to his friend Bob McDonald in 91 (Cotter did drive it in the odd 6 Hour relay) who gradually converted in to a sports sedan (with rear wing) before writing it off comprehensively at Oran Park in 96.

That's the Group A Alfas sorted. As for Group C Alfas, I know of only 4 (beside the Gulson GTV6) that survive out of what must be well over 20 built over the years. Not a good survival rate!
Old 20 Apr 2005, 09:28 (Ref:1282807)   #293
Amonfan
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Amonfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A guy i know has the Alan Jones Falcon. Its now in the Green as it raced in Dicks hands at Bathurst 83 after the Tree incident.
Old 20 Apr 2005, 14:38 (Ref:1283046)   #294
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terry Ashwood Also has a DR30 Skyline GrpA, 910 Bluebird GrpC, 2x HR31 Skyline GrpA's, and a R32 GT-R GrpA. Quite possibly more...

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 20 Apr 2005, 16:43 (Ref:1283139)   #295
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by prn 31
While we are on Group A Alfas. May as well mention the 75 Turbo that Bond ran in 87. Of course Cesario crashed it at Bathurst, but it was rebuilt and last raced by Bond at the AGP support that year. John Cotter tried to buy it in 88, but it eventually went to his friend Bob McDonald in 91 (Cotter did drive it in the odd 6 Hour relay) who gradually converted in to a sports sedan (with rear wing) before writing it off comprehensively at Oran Park in 96.
I also have listed an Alfa Romeo 75 Turbo driven by Gerard Murphy in rounds of the 1988 ATCC at Calder (DNF after 9 laps) and at Amaroo (DNQ). According to RCN, the entrant at Calder was "Murphy Johnson Imported Cars".

I always assumed this was the ex-Bond Alfa, but I seem to recall seeing something that made me think it wasn't; I think it may have been that it was entered for a race meeting in 1987 whilst Bond was still racing his car, but I can't quite remember at the moment.

Any ideas?
Old 21 Apr 2005, 07:31 (Ref:1283583)   #296
prn 31
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr
I also have listed an Alfa Romeo 75 Turbo driven by Gerard Murphy in rounds of the 1988 ATCC at Calder (DNF after 9 laps) and at Amaroo (DNQ). According to RCN, the entrant at Calder was "Murphy Johnson Imported Cars".

I always assumed this was the ex-Bond Alfa, but I seem to recall seeing something that made me think it wasn't; I think it may have been that it was entered for a race meeting in 1987 whilst Bond was still racing his car, but I can't quite remember at the moment.

Any ideas?
I've checked with a reliable source who informs me that Murphy's blue 75 Turbo was written off by the team's mechanic at Oran Park (rolled it at the Dogleg in 88, I think.) He was under the impression that it never raced. All the trick bits were dispersed to people within the owners club.

My friend has alerted me to probably the most standard car to ever race in Group A - Ian Thompson's BMW 323i. Standard colour (opal green), standard alloy wheels (with slicks) standard ride height, and by the way it was going in the 85 Sandown 500, standard engine as well! Those were the days...
Old 21 Apr 2005, 09:42 (Ref:1283675)   #297
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr69
Terry Ashwood Also has a DR30 Skyline GrpA, 910 Bluebird GrpC, 2x HR31 Skyline GrpA's, and a R32 GT-R GrpA. Quite possibly more...
Terry has not just a Group C Bluebird, but in fact has the lap record holding car of Gearge Fury. It's in immaculate condition. He also has, the ex Christine Gibson Nissan Gazelle, the DR 30 and HR31s and Godzilla, all in prefect condition. My favourite has to be the Bluebird.
Old 21 Apr 2005, 10:26 (Ref:1283711)   #298
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
How many Bluebirds were there? One went to Gary Scott for a while to be used as a Sports Sedan, and i recall another one blowing alot of smoke on the grid at Wanneroo in 1987 (in factory colours) in a support race for the 1987 ATCC round.

Was Geoff Portman's rally Bluebird debuted in 1982 a new car/shell, or one of the Group C cars from 1981?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prn 31
Alfa GTV6s - I know this stuff!

First off is Ray Gulson's Group C car from 1982. I believe this was the original Alfa Australia evaluation car, NSW reg LPV617 (I think, going from memory) which featured in press evaluations. (The GTV6 wasn't released here until 1983.) Gulson turned the Group C car into Group A spec in 1985 (I don't think it really changed) and it raced into 86. Car sold to Angelo Verga (Melbourne) in 89 and is now with Scott Farquharson in Group C spec and Dulux colours, where it races in Historic Group C.

The original "Network Alfa" Group A GTV6 that Bond ran in late 84 became the yellow Ignis/Montrose Wine car that Bond ran in the first part of 85, then to Paul Halstead in "Toy Shop" colours (white) for Gregg Hansford and Allan Grice(!) then in 86 to Warwick Rooklyn in blue "Pye" colours for Bathurst 86 with Lucio Cesario. Sold in 87 to John Cotter and then in 89 to Andrew Leithhead. Written off in sports sedan race at Amaroo in August 90. (Reshelled as out and out sports sedan originally with Group A bits, but nothing but the log book remains now!)

Ex-Luigi Racing LHD GTV6 brought out for Alan Jones in yellow Ignis/Montrose Wine colours. Reverted to Bond when Jones went o/s. Raced at Bathurst 85 with Bond & Hansford to class win and 8th outright. Written off at wet Enduro round at Surfers Paradise in infamous 11 car pile up! Rebuilt into new shell without a chassis number in RHD form, but as continuation of "Luigi" log book and raced by Bond into 86. Sold to Frank Porter and now with Hugh Harrison in Melbourne with "big" engine. To be converted back to original Group A spec in time.

That's the Group A Alfas sorted. As for Group C Alfas, I know of only 4 (beside the Gulson GTV6) that survive out of what must be well over 20 built over the years. Not a good survival rate!
Outstanding stuff! When one of the GTVs were run by Paul Halstead/Toy Shop, when and where did Gricey drive it? I have a vague recollection of Greg Hansford driving it (perhaps in a late 1985 ATCC round?)
Old 21 Apr 2005, 13:50 (Ref:1283856)   #299
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IIRC, Grice co-drove the Toy Shop Alfa in the Better Brakes 300 at Amaroo, and Hansford drove at the last ATCC round at Oran Park and possibly at the round before at Amaroo as well.

Cheers for the info, prn 31!
Old 22 Apr 2005, 02:32 (Ref:1284264)   #300
prn 31
Racer

Thanks guys!

There was one Group A Alfa that I missed: The mysterious black GTV 2.0 that O'Donnell drove at Amaroo in 85. (I think it was a DNS.)

This car no longer exists, its history is somewhat murky and I've been asked not to elaborate, so I won't...