Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 May 2011, 20:30 (Ref:2874226)   #1
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VSCC See Red May 21/22nd

Just thought I would start this thread as it is coming up and I've entered!
Old 4 May 2011, 21:57 (Ref:2874264)   #2
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'll be there on the Sunday, hopefully I'll be flagging. How effective those flags are depends on so many things
Old 5 May 2011, 08:01 (Ref:2874385)   #3
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Three weeks after Donington Legends.Not smartest idea.
Meeting should have been in September.
Old 5 May 2011, 08:23 (Ref:2874396)   #4
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Three weeks after Donington Legends.Not smartest idea.
Meeting should have been in September.
Between 16th & 18th?
Old 5 May 2011, 10:32 (Ref:2874471)   #5
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm doing the Equipe GTS race in the WSM on both Saturday and Sunday, but also it will be the first outing for our other Elite - the one my wife rolled so comprehensively at Snetterton. A lengthy rebuild as it had to be taken down to the bare shell with a lot of regrafting needed. I've entered this in Saturday's Pre '61sports car race.

Now this one is finished, the question is whether to keep both of them on the basis of it's always handy to have a spare - particularly as these are Lotus' I'm talking about. Loads Of Trouble.....you know the rest.
Old 5 May 2011, 10:51 (Ref:2874478)   #6
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Many of VSCC lot are at may Montlery the week before.Planning!

Good dates mid September.No other decent race meeting for Pre War cars that weekend
Old 5 May 2011, 11:04 (Ref:2874483)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Um, isn't there something in West Sussex that weekend, albeit not pre war?
Old 5 May 2011, 12:24 (Ref:2874539)   #8
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Um, isn't there something in West Sussex that weekend, albeit not pre war?
Well spotted.....
Old 5 May 2011, 13:28 (Ref:2874569)   #9
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The See Red meeting used to week before Woodgood.September

There are few other Pre War dates at that time.

Why change it to May when there are three major dates

The Relay was good fun .Remember our Teams were first and second one year.

Stupid decision.
Old 5 May 2011, 14:56 (Ref:2874639)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p261brm View Post
Well spotted.....
Oi, no need to get personal!
Old 5 May 2011, 15:06 (Ref:2874647)   #11
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
I think clubs have very little option in when they have meetings at the major circuits, it's offered on a take it or leave it basis, both for price and date.
Not good for competitors or spectators really.
Old 5 May 2011, 15:43 (Ref:2874687)   #12
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

VSCC could have had September date so that's no excuse.
Old 5 May 2011, 17:24 (Ref:2874789)   #13
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
VSCC could have had September date so that's no excuse.
Please some of the people some of the time springs to mind,
Whilst I accept G/Wood is not every ones cup of T, it is for a large proportion of the historic motor racing scene 'A Must' and now it has almost become a week long meeting, most arriving by the Wednesday prior, which of course leaves precious little time to prepare between the previous weekend, and also many do not wish to chance damage, bodily or mechanically their cars, The VSCC must be, and only too aware of this, as some see it, an intrusion on their ideal calendar of events. Personally, I think the VSCC have made the best of a bad job, does Spa follow G/Wood again this year? Pretty hectic last year for some.
Old 5 May 2011, 18:45 (Ref:2874850)   #14
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

No Pre war cars at Goodwood this year.

Many VSCC cars in France week before Donington.

No Pre War at Spa 6 hr meeting.

Why change a date that proved to be popular with full grids.

VSCC are asking us to join relay today so obviously short of entries.
Old 5 May 2011, 22:55 (Ref:2875023)   #15
icklimp
Racer

England
icklimp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I remember correctly it was the circuit management that changed the date at the last minute and not a VSCC decision. Unfortunately circuit hire does tend to be on a take it or leave it basis.
Old 6 May 2011, 04:50 (Ref:2875090)   #16
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Donington advised early Sept date available.Pity.

With the loss of Oulton VSCC meetings a little thread bear.
Old 9 May 2011, 12:29 (Ref:2877410)   #17
icklimp
Racer

England
icklimp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Except since there is Pembrey in the calander they have returned to having 5 race events: Mallory, Donington, Silverstone, Pembrey and Cadwell.

Last year there were 6 race meetings admittedly but that was only due to the uncertainy over Donington.

I thought the VSCC had not had 6 meetings in the calender since the 2nd Silverstone was dropped. Certainly its been at 5 race events in the year for a while.

Given the meetings are in April, May, June, August and September they are fairly well spread out as well.
Old 10 May 2011, 07:44 (Ref:2877910)   #18
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Donington is now the flagship meeting.

If dates and Pembury?(Sept) were transposed it would make much more sense.

I seem to remember a clash with Silverstone Festival a couple of years ago.Not smart!

VSCC need part timers ,like me and others,to make up their grids.

How many of cars in Legends race at Donington Festival will be back at Donington?

Not very many but should be 80% if race programme was thought out.

They have lost Oulton,how many more?
Old 11 May 2011, 08:06 (Ref:2878570)   #19
The Flagman
Racer

The Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VSCC probably has a more fundamental problem.

Oulton lost money last time they went there. Distance from home may be one reason - it's a hell of a trek from the South East on a Friday in time for Saturday racing.

More importantly think about the age of many of the potential competitors. They may be finding it difficult financially because of limited pensions and may not qualify for race licences. Some cars now in the hands of the next generation but not all want to come out and race.

Pembrey is a dual function meeting - sprint on Saturday (Race licence not required) and racing on Sunday. Much easier to go along the motorways on Saturday or make the effort on Friday for two events.

Pembrey was popular with competitors last time they went there. Guess they'd rather it be located near Castle Combe though.

Expect there will be more initiatives like this as the speed events on hills and sprints seem well supported.

It is a great shame that the Vintage races are few and far between across Europe but if organisers don't receive entries they won't offer a grid. If there are no grids....

The 500's were in that situation but their revival this year has been because they got together and promised a decent turnout. Cadwell was well supported. Vintage racers may now have to do the same.
Old 11 May 2011, 21:47 (Ref:2878987)   #20
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Legends had a decent turnout at Donington.
Old 12 May 2011, 13:38 (Ref:2879322)   #21
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
There are now more opportunities to race vintage or pre war cars other than at VSCC meetings. Some folk must prefer doing a few "high profile" commercial events rather than sticking to the VSCC ones.
The VSCC's other events, sprints and trials etc all get good entries. Distance is not an issue for them, our local VSCC Lakeland Trial in November always gets a full house.
Old 15 May 2011, 19:47 (Ref:2880759)   #22
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
John Cobb's Napier Railton is to make some demo runs at the meeting.
Old 17 May 2011, 12:26 (Ref:2881618)   #23
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone seen the entry list for this event and, if so, any link to it please? I understand it was to be published after 9th May. The PR blurb suggests 300+ competitors this weekend whch appears to be at odds with some of the above discussion regarding possible low numbers.

Tempted to travel down if the grids look reasonable.
Old 17 May 2011, 14:39 (Ref:2881678)   #24
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Has anyone seen the entry list for this event and, if so, any link to it please? I understand it was to be published after 9th May. The PR blurb suggests 300+ competitors this weekend whch appears to be at odds with some of the above discussion regarding possible low numbers.

Tempted to travel down if the grids look reasonable.
Gary

Don't know if its published anywhere, but the entry list with the finals looks strong. I've just counted up and there are 357 cars across the various grids. Granted a number are doing more than one race - but 2 races are oversubscribed with reserves (grid size is 36), the 2 hour VSCC relay race has 50 cars in 13 teams competing. One of the smaller grids has 5 Bugattis in it.

There should be enough to keep anyone happy - even JR.....
Old 17 May 2011, 14:54 (Ref:2881681)   #25
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

I may be putting a team in Relay .They are about 8 Teams short.

See where we are this week