Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 31 May 2012, 13:36 (Ref:3082599)   #101
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
12 Hour Race a "Good Fit" for Australian GT says Quinn

Tony Quinn has indicated that he would like to have competitors in the Australian GT Championship racing again in the Bathurst 12 Hour race in 2013.
In an interview with In Pit Lane on C31 Melbourne, Mr Quinn also announced plans to run an AGT round in NZ next year plus details of the new McLaren MP4 12-C to make its' local debut later this year.

The full story HERE
Old 31 May 2012, 13:39 (Ref:3082602)   #102
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you meant to write James O'Brien and not James O'Neill....
Old 31 May 2012, 13:46 (Ref:3082610)   #103
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors View Post
I think you meant to write James O'Brien and not James O'Neill....
Thanks for that. Not sure where I got O'Neil from.

Probably had it in Tuesday's script as well.
Old 31 May 2012, 17:13 (Ref:3082713)   #104
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Currently I'm in Germany and a few weeks back I attended the Nurburgring 24 Hour Race...what an awesome event....caught some of the Classic Cars on the Thursday too and spoke to Luffy and a few other Aussies and Kiwis in the garages.

If the promoters of Bathurst could get some of the N24 runners it would bring the ousters along...perhaps get the Frikadelli driver Sabine Schmidt....she would certainly attract some interest.

Iv'e got plenty of photos but only on Facebook
Old 31 May 2012, 23:41 (Ref:3082955)   #105
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Entries opened today..... with half price for those committing before end of August. Put your money where your mouth is and save literally thousands of dollars.... that's a fair bit of cash for fuel, accommodation, spares etc

http://www.bathurst12hour.com.au/12-...open-june-1st/
Old 1 Jun 2012, 02:41 (Ref:3082993)   #106
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane View Post
Tony Quinn has indicated that he would like to have competitors in the Australian GT Championship racing again in the Bathurst 12 Hour race in 2013.
In an interview with In Pit Lane on C31 Melbourne, Mr Quinn also announced plans to run an AGT round in NZ next year plus details of the new McLaren MP4 12-C to make its' local debut later this year.

The full story HERE
Going by Quinns comments, it would have you thinking/believing that James O'Brien is a stubborn pain in the arse who would rather crash and burn than swallow a little pride ?
Old 1 Jun 2012, 02:48 (Ref:3082994)   #107
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Shane001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regardless of how much humble pie James O'brien needs to eat, if they don't get AGT onboard with this event I can't see it lasting more than another year or two as a GT focused event.

For this event to be a long term success it needs a strong field of local entrants, period.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 03:24 (Ref:3083001)   #108
alfacors
Veteran

Without knowing what "suggestions" TQ has put forward it's hard to judge who is being stubborn etc.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 03:35 (Ref:3083005)   #109
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Very true, but regardless, James has more to lose than Tony. At the end of the day, Tony can just go run a round at Bathurst with the V8's.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 03:52 (Ref:3083006)   #110
alfacors
Veteran

This is true, but it won't be a 12 hour, and it wont be competing against international teams. It's not a situation where TQ has O'Brien over a barrel. They need to work together, but you can't have one threatening the other etc.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 04:08 (Ref:3083009)   #111
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Totally agree, TQ needs to come on board with the 12 hour concept including Internation teams, imo they need to move down a path similar to the N24.

TBH I'd love to see this evolve into a 24 hour race again, but they need to establish this as a strong event over several years before even considering this.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 05:48 (Ref:3083025)   #112
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some interesting points from the sup-regs.
Choice of 3 brands of tyre but they must come from 2 nominated suppliers. No chance of doing a deal to get a better price.
Production cars may use slicks, but no provision mentioned for quick change modifications.
If you are planning on running a diesel it will either have to be very economical or you can bring your own fuel. No product specified by the single (and I presume expensive) fuel supplier.
And if you want to run in any of the Class I categories the regulations say quite pointedly that even if you finish first outright it won't be counted.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 06:17 (Ref:3083029)   #113
kingers
Racer

kingers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If someone like Mr Juniper wanted to run his GT2 997 RSR I think they would probably let him in class "I". But for a car like that they would probably have a laptime that they are not allowed to go under, which is probably a disguise for someone considering running a car like that not to emply a pro driver as he/she would be rendered useless. That would keep the GT3 boys happy and the field blooming.

Just my 2c.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 06:41 (Ref:3083038)   #114
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
Going by Quinns comments, it would have you thinking/believing that James O'Brien is a stubborn pain in the arse who would rather crash and burn than swallow a little pride ?
It's worth noting any of the comments are pretty useless sans context.
It's also entirely possible the 'suggestions' haven't been altered since Quinn last made his views known concerning B12 matters.

There's comfort in the fact that the two parties (Quinn, O'Brien) have been in correspondence with one another; it's still difficult to draw any worthwhile conclusions without any further information. It's impossible to determine whether they're being more accommodating of one another's interests (or, who's to blame for inaction) without information on the suggestions.

Given some of the issues (and, disagreements) were pretty evident already, it seems safe to assume scheduling, entry fees, and sporting regulations (e.g. driver lineups) may have appeared on the agenda. The article also suggests Quinn is allowing CAMS to negotiate on his behalf. Unsure as to whether that's positive or, negative in the circumstances.

I genuinely hope the two parties can sort their differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingers View Post
If someone like Mr Juniper wanted to run his GT2 997 RSR I think they would probably let him in class "I". But for a car like that they would probably have a laptime that they are not allowed to go under, which is probably a disguise for someone considering running a car like that not to emply a pro driver as he/she would be rendered useless. That would keep the GT3 boys happy and the field blooming.

Just my 2c.
I was surprised when they were refused entry to the 2012 event. Primarily because the age of the car (2007-spec GT3-RSR, if memory serves) suggests it wouldn't be in contention, regardless (particularly with an amateur-laden lineup). I'm fairly certain there's already contingency within the Creventic technical regulations for performance balancing (older) GT2 entries.

Last edited by R4z3rw33n; 1 Jun 2012 at 07:01.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 07:19 (Ref:3083056)   #115
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
We only ever seem to hear comments from Quinn.....
"Basically James wants to do his own thing, as usual, and that doesn’t always suit what we want to achieve."
"I’ve tried to work with him"
"but it needs to suit our competitors"
"I have suggested it to James, but he doesn’t at this stage want to take any of my suggestions"
It's interesting that O'Brien doesn't see the need to put his side of the story out in the open.
I'm a bit perplexed at how the local media that cover AGT seem to be always sucking up to Quinn. To me, its a case of who needs who, the most.
It would be nice to have more of the AGT guys at the B12, but I still see them as grid fillers. If O'Briens vision of the race, going with a more GT3 international field of entries eventuates, I, as a sports car racing fan, couldn't care less if Quinn and his buddies don't turn up. Who knows how the B12 saga will eventually play out.
B24 touched on some interesting ideas in an earlier post. I think O'Brien should be talking to Cochrane and his circus. I'm not a huge fan of the V8SC series, but they plainly have the best drivers in the country. I think both parties could gain a lot from joining forces. Wouldn't it be great to see an Audi/Phoenix R8 with Lowndes, Luff and Wincup lining up on the grid as a genuine threat to the all stars that are in the other Audi. No offence to Eddy, but they really don't stand a chance with him in the car. I think that more overseas teams, such as Black Falcon would be more likely to return, with their pay drivers if they knew that a roster of V8SC drivers would be available. Depending on whether or not the race gets any bigger (or even if it goes in its present format beyond next year) a Pro and Am class could then give the AGT gentlemen a more level playing field.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 10:35 (Ref:3083161)   #116
Simon S
Racer

England
Simon S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Entries opened today..... with half price for those committing before end of August. Put your money where your mouth is and save literally thousands of dollars.... that's a fair bit of cash for fuel, accommodation, spares etc

http://www.bathurst12hour.com.au/12-...open-june-1st/
must be missing something, can't see the costs listed.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 11:07 (Ref:3083169)   #117
alfacors
Veteran

Use last year's entry cost as a guide then. If you're serious about entering then you'd be receiving entry forms from the Organisers then, right?
Old 2 Jun 2012, 00:33 (Ref:3083589)   #118
Penelope PitStop
Rookie

Penelope PitStop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingers View Post
If someone like Mr Juniper wanted to run his GT2 997 RSR I think they would probably let him in class "I". But for a car like that they would probably have a laptime that they are not allowed to go under, which is probably a disguise for someone considering running a car like that not to emply a pro driver as he/she would be rendered useless.
Benchmark time for class "I" is 2:15. Multiple penalties for going under, weight penalty during practice/qualy, drive-thru during the race. Not eligible for 1st, 2nd or 3rd outright.

Quote:
Use last year's entry cost as a guide then. If you're serious about entering then you'd be receiving entry forms from the Organisers then, right?
If entries are open there should be an entry form... Using last year as a guide may be a problem for anyone considering classes D,E or I - those fees have increased 25% from $8800 to $11000. No increase for A,B or C.
Old 2 Jun 2012, 04:56 (Ref:3083622)   #119
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Class I3: Holden Commodore VY Supercar.

Is the Mal Rose Commodore a VY?

I wonder if this will bring a few more local entries.
Old 2 Jun 2012, 05:04 (Ref:3083628)   #120
alfacors
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope PitStop View Post
If entries are open there should be an entry form... Using last year as a guide may be a problem for anyone considering classes D,E or I - those fees have increased 25% from $8800 to $11000. No increase for A,B or C.
Then get in touch with the organisers...?
Old 2 Jun 2012, 07:29 (Ref:3083648)   #121
Simon S
Racer

England
Simon S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
why the need for sarcasm?

and how would I receiving entry forms? do the organisers have a 'serious' detector ray or something?
Old 2 Jun 2012, 10:09 (Ref:3083691)   #122
alfacors
Veteran

I'm not being sarcastic Simon. I'm simply stating what I would have thought would have been a logical sequence of events. There were Expression of Interest Forms on the site, so I would have thought that teams would register with those and they would be sent forms whn the time comes. Seems logical enough to me. Is that being sacastic? If so, then so be it, but that's not my intention.
Old 2 Jun 2012, 22:24 (Ref:3084049)   #123
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Sheep Stations should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you were 'serious' or even half interested, you would have provided your details and been asked to fill in a EOI. No one stopping you from downloading the form and firing it in.

Nothing sarcastic about it, are state or national race organisers psychic? No, you show interest, they include you in future communications. 10 tenths is not a fertile ground for registering your interest.

Any hoo...our entry is in.
Old 3 Jun 2012, 00:29 (Ref:3084085)   #124
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Stations View Post
If you were 'serious' or even half interested, you would have provided your details and been asked to fill in a EOI. No one stopping you from downloading the form and firing it in.

Nothing sarcastic about it, are state or national race organisers psychic? No, you show interest, they include you in future communications. 10 tenths is not a fertile ground for registering your interest.

Any hoo...our entry is in.
A raging bull?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 3 Jun 2012, 03:46 (Ref:3084117)   #125
B24
Racer

Australia
Glebe, NSW, Australia
B24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The VY is the Mal Rose car.
There is this issue with cost of racing in the 12hr but if they are using the entries to entice OS entries, so be it. Superlap openly states they are subsidising OS teams to help grow the event with all the support classes completely booked out within an hour of entries being open. As for track time they are lucky to get an hour for under $1000 with no TV. When you look at the 12hr option it suddenly looks like great value.
As for the B24 return, I did hear someone mention it is being held up by one access road for one resident on the mountain, so it really could be a matter of time until it returns. You may get far more teams entering a 24hr as they will enjoy far more bang for their buck based on travel,cost and logistics.
Has Tony asked his competitors if they would like to run in the 12hr? Maybe they could get all the AGT teams together and cast a vote to see what they think. If there is a majority vote it could be that easy to have AGT do what it takes to be part of Australia's greatest race.