Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 3 Mar 2011, 11:58 (Ref:2839587)   #1
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Global Rallycross?

I see there is now a "Global Rallycross" website on the go:

http://www.global-rallycross.com/?page_id=7

I'm a bit confused as I thought the US rallycross championship was running under the Rallycar name for next year? I thought perhaps that this was a new name for the US Championship or something, but then I notice that "Global Rallycross" is only showing 4 rounds, and I thought there were 6 RallyCar events planned for next year?

NB: Apologies if this is old news - I haven't seen the Global Rallycross link posted on here before!
Old 3 Mar 2011, 13:17 (Ref:2839623)   #2
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems strange to call it Global when all the races are in the States! Maybe this refers to the fact Drivers from various countries will be competing. There's something on Rallycross Online about it, seems to be a combination of the X Games format and Rallycross as we know it. Doing one discipline one day and the other the next.
Old 3 Mar 2011, 13:58 (Ref:2839638)   #3
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Global RallyCross is the brainchild of a yank by the name Brian Gale and Swede Andréas Eriksson. Perhaps you’ve seen the Global RallyCross banners on the windscreens of OMSE cars before? However, to me it seems that Gale has taken over US RX from RallyCar/Rally America now and that his championship will be the only 2011 RX series in America.
Old 3 Mar 2011, 14:47 (Ref:2839665)   #4
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-guru View Post
Global RallyCross is the brainchild of a yank by the name Brian Gale and Swede Andréas Eriksson. Perhaps you’ve seen the Global RallyCross banners on the windscreens of OMSE cars before?
Yes indeed! I'm sure quite a few of the cars were carrying that window sticker at last years X-Games - I didn't realise that was going to be taken as the name of the 2011 US series though.

Quote:
However, to me it seems that Gale has taken over US RX from RallyCar/Rally America now and that his championship will be the only 2011 RX series in America.
That makes more sense, it would seem crazy to try and launch two new championships for a "new" race discipline, wouldn't it? It seems odd that the line up for "Global" rallycross doesn't include NJMP though. Given that was the first circuit that rallycross was trialed at in the US, I was expecting it to be used again in 2011.

I think I may have misunderstood the earlier posts with regard to the Hyundai Veloster. When the original Veloster press release mentioned Marcus Dodd I assumed that meant they were going to make a car available to him for use in rally events but, looking at the Global Rallycross site, it looks like Dodd will be driving in the US this year?
Old 3 Mar 2011, 15:42 (Ref:2839687)   #5
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Sorry for the double post folks but, as AndyS has posted, there is a pretty good breakdown of the GRC on Rallycross.com. Also discovered this lurking on the interweb as well:

http://www.nocoastmotorsports.net/20...RallyCross.pdf

A rather thorough sales pitch?
Old 3 Mar 2011, 15:55 (Ref:2839693)   #6
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
One RX Veloster is for Rhys Millen, the second will be used in some events by Marcus Dodd and in other events by world record freestyle motorbike rider Robbie Maddison. Millen and Maddison will also drive the cars in the X Games 17. An ERC24 subscription can bring one in the kow about what is going on in the World of RX…
Old 3 Mar 2011, 16:12 (Ref:2839698)   #7
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
An ERC24 subscription can bring one in the kow about what is going on in the World of RX…
I'm still feeling bitter as there was no ERC DVD last year!

Haha! I should really, as its one of the few motorsports that I follow these days, I keep meaning to subscribe to Rallycross World as well but, everytime I seem to get a bit of free money it seems to get taken by something else!
Old 3 Mar 2011, 16:25 (Ref:2839704)   #8
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Rallycross World is for free for ERC24 subscribers, comes into the bargain.
Old 3 Mar 2011, 16:43 (Ref:2839706)   #9
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Minnesota (the True North)
USRallycross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All is well across the pond.....

Everything is looking good for rallycross in 2011 so sleep snugly in your beds. The advocacy of ESPN is huge and leads the series into X Games. Not everything has been announced yet but if all goes well this will be the biggest thing the sport has seen since a misty day in February 1967......

Just a few weeks until the first race and each event will run two rounds per weekend as well as SuperRally - which is what you usually see at X Games.

You have to remember how fast this is all moving. We only had our first event in August, yet true to American culture, we want to go 'global' within 12 months.

Rally America continue to sanction the Global Rallycross events and are very much involved but GRC will promote the sport which can only help its success.

I am still smiling about rallycross being here! Will see you all at Lydden with the Stars and Stripes for Tanner and my Best Buy shirt for David Binks!

Mark
Old 3 Mar 2011, 18:59 (Ref:2839781)   #10
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Mark, that Saturday February 4 1967 was not a misty but sunny day.

See here: http://www.erc24.com/db/news/800_x020220079794.jpg
Old 3 Mar 2011, 20:31 (Ref:2839835)   #11
StockHatch782
Racer

StockHatch782 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Four events in the USA doesn't strike me as being very global, unless I've missed something pretty hefty.
Old 3 Mar 2011, 22:04 (Ref:2839878)   #12
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love how Codemasters seem to be everywhere in rallycross now. Good for them. I blame Codemasters for getting me interested in Rallycross and warping my view on it.

Now we just need four races in europe, and we can have a US vs Europe championship.
Old 3 Mar 2011, 22:10 (Ref:2839881)   #13
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Oh come on we are the country with the World Series and the NFL "World Champions" so our definition of Global may be different

The serious answer is there is more to come.

Eddie - I was but a twinkle in my dad's eye who by the way marshalled that day at Lydden. His memory isn't that reliable evidently......

Mark
Old 4 Mar 2011, 09:20 (Ref:2840022)   #14
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Thanks for the posts Mark, could you just confirm something for me please? Am I right in saying that all drivers will participate in the "head to head" and rallycross type events, the results of which will both count to their position on a single scoreboard, or are the "head to head" and rallycross two seperate series?

Looking forward to seeing how the first round in Irwindale pans out, fingers crossed the TV coverage won't be too hard to get hold of!
Old 4 Mar 2011, 12:23 (Ref:2840086)   #15
USRallycross
Racer

United States
I have my briefing call today but will try and answer now from what I know.

Two events will be run each weekend. Rallycross exactly as we know and love and as was run at NJMP last Fall.

The other event will be a version of SuperRally. If you have ever seen an X Games 'rally' event, this is what we call SuperRally. So basically a car going head to head. I am not sure the exact format (is it X Games or ROC?) but will be head to head and run seperately from the Rallycross although probably with the same cars and drivers.

X Games will include both formats. If I learn more during the day I will let you know. I think it is still fantastic that after several false starts we will have rallycross here and bringing in new manufacturer teams.

Does this help?

Mark
Old 4 Mar 2011, 12:28 (Ref:2840089)   #16
USRallycross
Racer

United States
2011 US Rallycross Championship Update

My news embargo was just lifted! This is the huge news. In addition to running a series up to and including X Games in association with RallyCar. RallyCar themselves will run a six event series post X Games till the end of the year. Teaming up with the off-road guys is awesome as their crowds at 50k plus per event! and we will have a custom build track as opposed to their all mud, jump heavy venues. This is BIG!

RallyCar was not in a position to invest in the kind of events that we all wanted to see so it was decided that Gale + Co. would do the promotion and marketing while RallyCar would sanction the events and manage the race operations.

Gale + Co. created a new organization, RallyCross Management, with a long term vision for their Global RallyCross Championship with ESPN as their media partner. In 2011, this will consist of four events; Irwindale, Old Mill Rally Park, Pikes Peak Int'l Raceway, and X Games 17. They plan to expand internationally over the next several years. RallyCar will sanction the first three events. Our role at X Games has not yet been determined. Each Global RallyCross event will consist of a head-to-head, single elimination SuperRally on one day and a European-style rallycross on the other day.

In 2011 RallyCar will conduct a six event U.S. Rallycross Championship. Our first three events will be; Irwindale, Old Mill Rally Park, and Pikes Peak Int'l Raceway. This means that when you enter any of these three events you earn points in both the Global RallyCross Championship and the RallyCar U.S. Rallycross Championship. The SuperRallies are not part of the U.S. Rallycross Championship.

Our final three events will be run in conjunction The Off Road Championship. Details about this will be announced on Monday, March 7. I would very much like to add a seventh event back at NJMP if both party's financial requirements can be met, and a satisfactory date agreed upon.

In 2012 and beyond the U.S. Rallycross Championship will grow to be a healthy National race series and the Global RallyCross Championship will expand worldwide. We expect that a few events will be part of both series each year, just as Irwindale, Old Mill Rally Park, and PPIR are this year.
Old 4 Mar 2011, 12:34 (Ref:2840093)   #17
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by USRallycross View Post
The other event will be a version of SuperRally. If you have ever seen an X Games 'rally' event, this is what we call SuperRally. So basically a car going head to head. I am not sure the exact format (is it X Games or ROC?) but will be head to head and run seperately from the Rallycross although probably with the same cars and drivers.
Yeah, I guessed it was the same format as the X-Games Rally has been run since X13. My only concern would be that they employ the same person(s) who designed the rally course at X-Games 16. The head-to-head element of the rally seemed very last minute and the complexity of the course made it more like Gymkhana then rally.

Hopefully lessons were learnt from that though and the course design will be more like that from X13 - 15.

Quote:
Does this help?
Sort of! I think my question may have been badly worded though. Will there be a championship for the head-to-head racing and a seperate championship for the rallycross (with a champion crowned for each at the end of 2011), or will all the drivers be expected to do the head-to-head and the rallycross, with just one overall champion crowned at the end of the year?
Old 4 Mar 2011, 13:25 (Ref:2840128)   #18
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Tony
SuperRally will only run in the first three events and at X Games. I am not sure if there will be any champion crowned at all.

Rallycross will run seperately at all six events and will have a seperate Champion crowned. Think this is what you were hoping for.

The change in venue last year messed things up on the courses and despite planning you have to remember it is tough to put rallycross inside a stadium.

Mark
www.williamsrallyracing.com
Old 4 Mar 2011, 14:15 (Ref:2840151)   #19
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Rallycross will run seperately at all six events and will have a seperate Champion crowned. Think this is what you were hoping for.
Thats what I wanted to know - brilliant, cheers!

Quote:
The change in venue last year messed things up on the courses and despite planning you have to remember it is tough to put rallycross inside a stadium.
Oh yeah, unquestionably. I wonder if they will try and cram another layout into the stadium again this year or if they will run it outside into the surronding area as they have before - or are there limitations on doing that given the new home of X-Games.
Old 4 Mar 2011, 15:54 (Ref:2840195)   #20
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Info I saw was that they plan to do the rally part of X Games 17 on the streets around the Staples Center in Downtown LA rather than in the nearby LA Memorial Coliseum.
Old 4 Mar 2011, 19:18 (Ref:2840272)   #21
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Rallycross at the Winter X Games at Aspen will be incredible for sure.

To create better super stage (non-US rally term) designs, check Ken Block's gymkhana. It did feature tight hairpins, but cars were forced to slide because of the longer design. Plus, straights were much longer, and motorsport is all about speed... and braking. The last year's X Games rallycross course was quite good - it just lack a proper left-hand brand.

2011 Torc Series schedule:

April 30-May 1 Cycle Ranch Floresville, TX
May 28-29 Red Bud MX Buchanan, MI
June 18-19 Crandon Off Road Crandon, WI
June 26 Pikes Peak International Colorado Springs, CO
July 22-23 Charlotte Motor Speedway Concord, NC
August 13-14 Bark River Off Road Bark River, MI
September 3-4 Crandon Off Road Crandon, WI
September 15 Chicagoland Speedway Joliet, IL
Old 12 Mar 2011, 19:01 (Ref:2844623)   #22
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The return of Marcus Gronholm.
Old 15 Mar 2011, 14:51 (Ref:2846202)   #23
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie
The return of Marcus Gronholm.
Indeed. The Best Buy colours will presently adorn a Mk.7 Fiesta as well as Bink's Mk.6...

Be interesting to see how Gronholm gets on in the US rallycross after his success in Europe.

The GRC now has its first trailer up - its mainly X-Games footage, but hopefully it will do the trick and generate some interest State-side:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbC9x7Dr8dA

The entry list for the first round is still looking pretty sparse though:

http://rally-america.com/events/2011/IRWIN/entries/

Fingers crossed the list bulks out a bit in the next few days; though I wonder if the short notice has caught a lot of drivers/teams out?
Old 15 Mar 2011, 15:11 (Ref:2846208)   #24
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ken Block can be added to that, right? Surely Andreas Eriksson is racing after all his promoting?

I hope it does well over there, but I dont want it to poach any more of our drivers!
Old 15 Mar 2011, 15:35 (Ref:2846220)   #25
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
Ken Block can be added to that, right? Surely Andreas Eriksson is racing after all his promoting?

I hope it does well over there, but I dont want it to poach any more of our drivers!
Yeah; I wish them the best, but stop nicking our drivers!

I can't remember where I read it, but Block has stated he will only do the rallycross events if he can fit them in; he won't miss any rallies to do them. The first round of the GRC is the same weekend as the Portugal WRC, so I'm pretty sure Block is a no.