Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 1 Feb 2021, 11:46 (Ref:4032767)   #576
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I caught a bit of it yesterday. You can tell it’s aged a bit, but it’s still a classic
Old 1 Feb 2021, 18:27 (Ref:4032871)   #577
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got ours yesterday and it could not have been easier. Rolled up to the vaccination centre about 20 minutes early and well directed in to a blue lane or red lane. Well directed to the parking area and pointed in the right direction of the temporary building. Inside I had to wait for about 30 seconds until one of the six pods had a vacancy. Straight in, NHS number and name checked, asked a few questions about blood thinners or had I had covid. Jacket off sleeve up and jab - there it was - Astra Zenica'd to safety, I hope.
I felt a bit lightheaded and nauseous before I left the building and thought I was going to take a reaction but sat in the car for the 15 minutes they recommended and it got no worse so I drove off. A couple of hours later I felt fine and had no sore arm as some seem to have had. I was driving out of the centre at the time I was supposed to get the jab and everyone involved was great. Sorry that Richard's experience wasn't so good.
Old 1 Feb 2021, 20:00 (Ref:4032885)   #578
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Finally, a potential new use for the former Donington Collection museum building:
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/n...7JTTbObUQxR1Oc

Must admit that I thought it might make a decent venue for a race team operation and/ or a “Caffeine and the machine” type operation.

Last edited by andy97; 1 Feb 2021 at 20:27.
Old 1 Feb 2021, 20:55 (Ref:4032904)   #579
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I went for my first Jab a week ago in the evening, no problems at all and was all sorted out by strategically placed marshals, I was never in a line of more than six socially distanced people at any time. The one thing that made me smile was that going into the car park the bloke at the gate said "I think it's full up but there might be a place" as he was saying this I saw a spot up the other end and flew up there and hand braked the car round straight into the spot. He came running up and said "are you old enough to have the jab"
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 1 Feb 2021, 21:16 (Ref:4032909)   #580
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Finally, a potential new use for the former Donington Collection museum building:

Must admit that I thought it might make a decent venue for a race team operation and/ or a “Caffeine and the machine” type operation.
I was wondering if you were thinking of putting your collection in there

Seriously though I would rather it was used than not used - I have been to the Superbike factory in Macc and the scale of the place is staggering - I agree with your comment about "coffee and machine" type operation if they can get one of these up and running it would make it more of a destination

Hope to see you out this season once we are allowed
Old 1 Feb 2021, 22:28 (Ref:4032922)   #581
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstart View Post
I was wondering if you were thinking of putting your collection in there

Seriously though I would rather it was used than not used - I have been to the Superbike factory in Macc and the scale of the place is staggering - I agree with your comment about "coffee and machine" type operation if they can get one of these up and running it would make it more of a destination

Hope to see you out this season once we are allowed
Nigel, I think your collection is more impressive!

Certainly good to see plans for the place to be used. Hope to meet up at a race track at some point.
Old 1 Feb 2021, 23:11 (Ref:4032924)   #582
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gordon, did you manage to sort out the electrics on the Pug? And what was the problem?
Old 2 Feb 2021, 00:26 (Ref:4032928)   #583
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Gordon, did you manage to sort out the electrics on the Pug? And what was the problem?
Yes it was damp in one of the joining plugs on the rear wiring loom as was mentioned by people on 10ths and on the internet.
The funny thing was that the under carpet floor wasn't flooded with water but on pulling a couple of the multi wired plugs apart I saw a black line on the surface of one of them. I simply cleaned it up with contact cleaner and gave it a spray of ZX1 water repellent and it seems fine.
I would have thought that with a small DC voltage it wouldn't "track across" like AC but it obviously does.
If it plays up again I will cut out the plug and solder the wires together and seal them with heat shrink.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 2 Feb 2021, 08:19 (Ref:4032950)   #584
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There is a new place called, I think, Carnatter in Weedon on the A5.
Old 2 Feb 2021, 10:46 (Ref:4032962)   #585
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
There is a new place called, I think, Carnatter in Weedon on the A5.
Weedon brings back memories.... I lived at the Crossroads Motel for 3 months back in the late 1970's when I relocated with Mettoy (Corgi toys at the time) from London to Northampton for work and was house-hunting around there.
I remember the restaurant well. Had a collection of old clocks. Back then you could order an 18oz T-bone steak, which I ate far too often. Not to mention Richard's (the owner at the time) Raspberry pie. I ended up buying just up the road . On the A5 near the crossing with the Northampton Rd.(A45?)
QUite popular with race goers as the parking was good for trailers. Probably all redeveloped now
Happy Days.
Old 2 Feb 2021, 10:58 (Ref:4032966)   #586
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A bit more info. https://carnatter.com/home
Old 2 Feb 2021, 12:02 (Ref:4032981)   #587
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
- and there before me was what looked like the worst airline check-in, or border force, queue you have ever seen - probably 200 - 250 old farts like me shuffling along at social distances, winding back and forth and back and forth.......

2.5 hours later I'm at the front of the queue -
I'd have turned round and gone home if I'd seen that kind of queue.
Old 2 Feb 2021, 12:12 (Ref:4032986)   #588
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Yes it was damp in one of the joining plugs on the rear wiring loom as was mentioned by people on 10ths and on the internet.
The funny thing was that the under carpet floor wasn't flooded with water but on pulling a couple of the multi wired plugs apart I saw a black line on the surface of one of them. I simply cleaned it up with contact cleaner and gave it a spray of ZX1 water repellent and it seems fine.
I would have thought that with a small DC voltage it wouldn't "track across" like AC but it obviously does.
If it plays up again I will cut out the plug and solder the wires together and seal them with heat shrink.

Glad you got it sorted, Gordon. These little problems so often take longer to find that rectify; so frustrating.
Old 2 Feb 2021, 12:16 (Ref:4032987)   #589
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Sitting minding my own business around 6pm last night there was a knock on the door. I opened up and it was PC plod saying they'd had reports of a gathering of people in my house. I laughed and said there's been no one in my house since last march, apart from myself and my wife.
He seemed quite disappointed, asking if anyone at all such as people in my support bubble or my kids had been round, I told him kid is in NZ and I don't have enough friends to have a support bubble let alone a gathering, I did offer to let him in for a look round but he said it wouldn't be necessary and he tootled off down the drive, should I have offered him a pie for his troubles?
Old 2 Feb 2021, 12:33 (Ref:4032989)   #590
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Sitting minding my own business around 6pm last night there was a knock on the door. I opened up and it was PC plod saying they'd had reports of a gathering of people in my house. I laughed and said there's been no one in my house since last march, apart from myself and my wife.
He seemed quite disappointed, asking if anyone at all such as people in my support bubble or my kids had been round, I told him kid is in NZ and I don't have enough friends to have a support bubble let alone a gathering, I did offer to let him in for a look round but he said it wouldn't be necessary and he tootled off down the drive, should I have offered him a pie for his troubles?

Either the rozzers got the wrong address (quite possible), or some trouble-making bar-stewards have so little going on in their lives that they wanted to cause you grief to spice up their existence!
Old 2 Feb 2021, 12:39 (Ref:4032993)   #591
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
They probably got the wrong address, but they probably did need something to spice up their life with so little going on atm
Old 2 Feb 2021, 13:10 (Ref:4033004)   #592
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I don't have enough friends to have a support bubble let alone a gathering,

Ah - don't be like that, Tim - you have friends, just extremely social-distancing ones!
Old 2 Feb 2021, 13:32 (Ref:4033013)   #593
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

They could have had the Norton place just down the road ... probably not ideal though.
Old 2 Feb 2021, 13:39 (Ref:4033017)   #594
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
They could have had the Norton place just down the road ... probably not ideal though.
I suspect that’s a different order of magnitude in price. And they can lease the old museum rather than buy Donington Hall.
Old 2 Feb 2021, 13:43 (Ref:4033019)   #595
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I suspect that’s a different order of magnitude in price. And they can lease the old museum rather than buy Donington Hall.

Well yes, true, but think of the history ....

Probably a good reason to not want anything to do with it at any price.
Old 2 Feb 2021, 13:47 (Ref:4033023)   #596
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I would think that the old museum is an ideal building for this sort of venture. If I remember correctly there is a complete workshop and storage area below the entrance floor which is clearly completely separate from the public bits.
Old 2 Feb 2021, 13:49 (Ref:4033025)   #597
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Ah - don't be like that, Tim - you have friends, just extremely social-distancing ones!
Do we count as a Bubble, Bauble blurted, boldly, but baldly!
Old 2 Feb 2021, 17:49 (Ref:4033069)   #598
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I heard a knock on the door this afternoon and there was a "young man" standing there who said "have you lost something" I said "not that I know of" he then waved my door keys at me and said "what about these", he had obviously taken them out of the door as I had just been out to bring some logs in.
I said "you had better give them back then seeing that you have just taken them" he started to mouth off and I asked him "WTF was he was doing anyway" he then said that he was on some drug rehabilitation program and was asking for money because his girlfriend is pregnant! I said "taking the keys out of my door aint exactly the best way to ask me for anything" and told him that he had better "go away"
Now I know that you should never leave keys in the door, but as some of you might know we don't exactly live in a built up area and you have to come down a drive that is off a quiet B road. I know that I can get a bit "upset" with some people but would the panel have done anything different ?
Old 2 Feb 2021, 18:46 (Ref:4033082)   #599
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Nope.
Old 2 Feb 2021, 19:19 (Ref:4033093)   #600
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Up to the point he started asking for money, I thought you were maybe being a bit churlish.....although I guess the distance of your door from the road means he would have had to have been on your property anyway to see the keys?

On the bright side, he could just have taken them to use at a later date, so maybe you dodged a bullet (spelt "burglary" )........