Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 Oct 2011, 05:48 (Ref:2965936)   #76
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Which is why LMP would be the better choice IMO. More chance for the Volkswagen group to gain a win or sweep the podium. And I wouldn't mind a Speed 8 Part2. Seeing the British racing green would be a welcome addition. GTE for what? They sell luxury cars, not sports cars, but winning overall would serve for more publicity for the brand. That's my opinion at least. Either way I'd like to see them in LeMans racing.
Old 5 Oct 2011, 05:56 (Ref:2965940)   #77
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Which is why LMP would be the better choice IMO. More chance for the Volkswagen group to gain a win or sweep the podium. And I wouldn't mind a Speed 8 Part2. Seeing the British racing green would be a welcome addition. GTE for what? They sell luxury cars, not sports cars, but winning overall would serve for more publicity for the brand. That's my opinion at least. Either way I'd like to see them in LeMans racing.
Le Mans is a very important part of Bentley's history, but as far as GT cars go, I think it would be wise for VAG to promote Lamborghini. It's just so strange not to see a legitimate Lambo out there in GTE with so many other similar cars represented. Maybe they don't want Lambos competing against Porsches, I don't know. Anyway, a Bentley LMP1 and Lambo GTE car may make more sense, but that is a lot of money we're talking about here and they could end up just competing against themselves.
Old 5 Oct 2011, 06:08 (Ref:2965943)   #78
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
And I wouldn't mind a Speed 8 Part2.
I'd find that kind of marketing exercise lame.
Old 5 Oct 2011, 06:10 (Ref:2965945)   #79
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
I'd find that kind of marketing exercise lame.
All road car manufacturers racing is a marketing exercise in one form or another.
Old 5 Oct 2011, 06:32 (Ref:2965951)   #80
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
All road car manufacturers racing is a marketing exercise in one form or another.
TF110 said "Part 2". Maybe he didn't mean what I mean, but in Part 1 the way Audi moved away and Audi drivers suddenly became Bentley drivers, was pretty blatant. That would be lame. Of course in future it would be a lot more risky since there's likely going to be non-VAG manufacturer(s) in the game.
Old 5 Oct 2011, 07:17 (Ref:2965967)   #81
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
By part 2 I mean the car. It's success. Whether Audi participates or not is up to them. I don't want it at Audi's expense, but if it happens that way there's nothing we can do. I'd love to see another British Racing Green coupe though. That's my point.
Old 6 Oct 2011, 16:31 (Ref:2966721)   #82
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
The best rumours at the moment appear to indicate the VAG have decided that it could be good to have multiple brands competing in the same category. As you have said how that pans out will depend on the non VAG competition as providing that is strong then there wont be much scope for cross brand race fixing.

We certainly don't want P1 becoming a VAG brand demonstration run.
Old 6 Oct 2011, 16:46 (Ref:2966733)   #83
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The best rumours at the moment appear to indicate the VAG have decided that it could be good to have multiple brands competing in the same category. As you have said how that pans out will depend on the non VAG competition as providing that is strong then there wont be much scope for cross brand race fixing.

We certainly don't want P1 becoming a VAG brand demonstration run.
Imagine the PR you can run from beating the entire VAG brand (or almost), it should be enough to keep PSA around .

(with Peugeot beating Bentley, Audi and Porsche and Citroen/Peugeot beating VW in rallying)
Old 6 Oct 2011, 18:51 (Ref:2966793)   #84
TF110
Veteran

United States
Thats gotta be good news for those who want Bentley back. Now all we need is Nissan Toyota Honda and Jaguar and LMP1 will be in its heyday. Just imagine that. 6 to 8 brands competing at the front! Awesome if this comes to light.
Old 6 Oct 2011, 19:24 (Ref:2966807)   #85
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Thats gotta be good news for those who want Bentley back. Now all we need is Nissan Toyota Honda and Jaguar and LMP1 will be in its heyday. Just imagine that. 6 to 8 brands competing at the front! Awesome if this comes to light.
But imagine the massive loss of privateers!
6 brands = 12-->18 cars!
8 brands = 16-->24 cars!

That doesn't leave much space for Lmp1 privateers, Lmp2, GTE Pro and GTE Am!
Old 6 Oct 2011, 19:25 (Ref:2966808)   #86
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It would be amazing and it isn't unforeseeable. It will take time but things are moving in the right direction. The WEC should be THE place to demonstrate your new technology.
Old 6 Oct 2011, 19:27 (Ref:2966810)   #87
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
6 brands = 12-->18 cars!
8 brands = 16-->24 cars!

They could mandate that any third car be run by a privateer outfit maybe? Not really something to worry about just pie in the sky stuff at this point. Maybe a couple more garages could be built at LM.
Old 6 Oct 2011, 21:00 (Ref:2966849)   #88
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
6 brands = 12-->18 cars!
8 brands = 16-->24 cars!

good news for ALMS then?
Old 7 Oct 2011, 21:27 (Ref:2967344)   #89
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
6 brands = 12-->18 cars!
8 brands = 16-->24 cars!

All-prototype grid then. At this point as likely as the 8 brands.
Old 8 Oct 2011, 15:42 (Ref:2967598)   #90
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
TF110 said "Part 2". Maybe he didn't mean what I mean, but in Part 1 the way Audi moved away and Audi drivers suddenly became Bentley drivers, was pretty blatant. That would be lame. Of course in future it would be a lot more risky since there's likely going to be non-VAG manufacturer(s) in the game.
The Bentley boss said any future program would be based out of Crewe with road car staff drafted in for experience.

Personally I don't see much point in Bentley competing for GT wins, likewise Jaguar and Aston Martin. These brands produce sporty cars but they don't have a 911 like model that's a mainstay in the line-up, they need a halo program that benefits the whole brand, and long after the program ends.

In Jaguars case the E-Type could have been the start of a long GT heritage, but it's going to be the C-X75 before they have another suitable model.
Old 9 Oct 2011, 21:48 (Ref:2968286)   #91
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sportscars will never get that big while Bernie Ecclestone is still alive.

And he will never die.

There are too many people around who would want to screw up any other form of motor racing that got close to Formula One in terms of success and popularity. And, also, 6 manufacturers is not sustainable, not even in Formula One.
Old 9 Oct 2011, 21:52 (Ref:2968290)   #92
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
The way the WEC is shaping up it could become F1's nightmare rather sooner than later.

Yes, endurance racing is a little harder to market than F1 but a series possibly involving a battle between Audi, Peugeot, Porsche, Toyota, Nissan & Bentley using different technologies to race each other... that will draw crowds and sell.

Sprinkle the GTE cars for people who love road going machinery on top of it and (if properly marketed) the series could offer something for anybody who's just remotely interested in car racing.

I don't think Bernie E is sleeping to well thinking about this...
Old 9 Oct 2011, 22:03 (Ref:2968297)   #93
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Sportscars will never get that big while Bernie Ecclestone is still alive.

And he will never die.

There are too many people around who would want to screw up any other form of motor racing that got close to Formula One in terms of success and popularity. And, also, 6 manufacturers is not sustainable, not even in Formula One.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
The way the WEC is shaping up it could become F1's nightmare rather sooner than later.

Yes, endurance racing is a little harder to market than F1 but a series possibly involving a battle between Audi, Peugeot, Porsche, Toyota, Nissan & Bentley using different technologies to race each other... that will draw crowds and sell.

Sprinkle the GTE cars for people who love road going machinery on top of it and (if properly marketed) the series could offer something for anybody who's just remotely interested in car racing.

I don't think Bernie E is sleeping to well thinking about this...
Let's not sell the skin before the bear is shot .

Bernie do not have ANY power in FIA matters outside F1, so he can't do anything.
The problem before was that Max Mosley and Bernie Eccelstone was friends and Mosley, more or less was in Max's pocket - Jean Todt is different and has already chosen to chill down Bernie and his influence. (How much media have we seen around Bernie recently? as an example)

But again, let's just see how many shows up, and how many there will be room for in a single championship.
Old 9 Oct 2011, 22:05 (Ref:2968299)   #94
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
There are too many people around who would want to screw up any other form of motor racing that got close to Formula One in terms of success and popularity.
That's why it makes so much sense to grant a WC status first... Time to cut this conspiracy theory crap.
Old 9 Oct 2011, 22:11 (Ref:2968304)   #95
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
That's why it makes so much sense to grant a WC status first... Time to cut this conspiracy theory crap.
Agreed! If anyone is going to screw it up it could well be the ACO in my opinion. Exciting times but some difficult balancing acts ahead.
Old 9 Oct 2011, 23:07 (Ref:2968338)   #96
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ILMC gets spotty coverage on Eurosport (and nothing here in the US except for some Speed2 online highlights supposedly) and now it is going to challenge F1 in popularity? Ha. We'll see, but don't hold your breath on that one. I'm sure the FIA would like to steal ACO manufacturers and put them in their #1 class (in their eyes), but hopefully the ACO will try to ensure that won't happen again.

As far as popularity goes, F1 has shown that popularity isn't as great as it is made out to be. Indycar has shown us that being the unpopular one who is striving to be popular is definitely a disaster. I'll settle for sports car racing being popular in the automotive press. Auto blogs, magazines, forums, and so forth. I think that is the kind of popularity that keeps this type of racing on the cutting edge.
Old 9 Oct 2011, 23:13 (Ref:2968340)   #97
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
I would hope both stay well clear of each other.

F1 can remain a driver focused series with brands like Red Bull and Virgin, the WEC becomes the domain of manufactuers developing road relevant technology (while retaining a place for privateers), while the WRC and WTCC cater for mainstream production cars.

No need to for them to step on each others toes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
I'm sure the FIA would like to steal ACO manufacturers and put them in their #1 class (in their eyes), but hopefully the ACO will try to ensure that won't happen again.
The FIA is a governing body, in the 80's-90's governership and commercial rights were complicated which led to conflicts of interest. EU regulations and the FIA's own reforms put an end to this, these days FOM owns the commercial rights to F1, ACO WEC, SRO GT, North One Sport WRC and KSO WTCC.

Last edited by JAG; 9 Oct 2011 at 23:30.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 08:27 (Ref:2968484)   #98
Mal
Veteran

England
London
If you get 5 or 6 manufacturers in the WEC they will demand better media coverage and will most likely get it. I am sure it is part of the plan already.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 08:40 (Ref:2968491)   #99
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
The FIA is a governing body, in the 80's-90's governership and commercial rights were complicated which led to conflicts of interest. EU regulations and the FIA's own reforms put an end to this, these days FOM owns the commercial rights to F1, ACO WEC, SRO GT, North One Sport WRC and KSO WTCC.
I don't think we've seen the last of the common engine scam and I'm guessing that if/when the FIA suggests it, it won't be to get Ferrari into prototypes!

Quote:
If you get 5 or 6 manufacturers in the WEC they will demand better media coverage and will most likely get it. I am sure it is part of the plan already.
I don't know. The ILMC had 3 factory teams this year and one of them, BMW, is leaving and citing the television coverage as one of the reasons why. Granted it was a different situation in that GTE wasn't getting enough coverage, but I guess the same could happen even within LMP1. Let's say Peugeot and Toyota (for example) are doing some domination and Audi and Nissan (for example) are running off the pace and don't get as much coverage. Well, obviously the low performance is a negative, but the lack of coverage could be a negative as well. The ILMC/Le Mans race director only seems to give non-frontrunners coverage when they crash or get bored and stuff like that. Shots of Ullrich and Quesnel rubbing their noses get more coverage than most of the cars. Anyway, I think the lack of coverage is a problem and the quality of coverage isn't so hot either.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 09:52 (Ref:2968536)   #100
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
How would they just "demand" it? Then they can start demanding things from the broadcasters when the series is good enough (of course the amount of manufacturers contritubes to that pretty directly).