Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Mar 2019, 09:59 (Ref:3891805)   #151
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexTurtle View Post
Many people seem to agree with you, although not me. Personally I find it very strange how people can think Vettel is not at least as good a driver as Hamilton, who is also world class.
Mistakes. Hamilton made virtually none last year. Vettel threw points away in several races - Germany, Azerbaijan & Italy that I can think off just off the top of my head. That is what separated them last season IMO.
Old 19 Mar 2019, 12:14 (Ref:3891819)   #152
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
^^^ Very much this which was also the story of 2017.
Old 19 Mar 2019, 19:58 (Ref:3891901)   #153
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
ApexTurtle is a back marker
Oh yeah Vettel definitely threw loads of points away! But even without those the Mercedes+Hamilton combination was too good anyway. I'm starting to fear that might be the case again this year.
Old 19 Mar 2019, 22:27 (Ref:3891937)   #154
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Vettel got the maximum that was probably possible. But Merc are still the top car at the moment. Hopefully others will catch up
Old 19 Mar 2019, 23:59 (Ref:3891963)   #155
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree with the Merc. being the best car last year, but Vettel clearly did not get the maximum that was possible. At the least the trip into the gravel in the Hockenheim stadium section showed that.

(this has all been covered before)
Old 20 Mar 2019, 02:09 (Ref:3891993)   #156
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
ApexTurtle is a back marker
Old stuff indeed and I think we agree on the basics so no point in going on about it I guess
Old 21 Mar 2019, 11:51 (Ref:3892445)   #157
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I'd heard mutterings before but a story in today's Times says that Hamilton was lucky to get the car to the finish because of severe damage to the floor that affected the aerodynamics......there was little coverage of Hamilton's race on the Sky broadcast that I saw, but I don't remember any significant off-course or over-kerb excursions?
Old 21 Mar 2019, 11:55 (Ref:3892446)   #158
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I'd heard mutterings before but a story in today's Times says that Hamilton was lucky to get the car to the finish because of severe damage to the floor that affected the aerodynamics......there was little coverage of Hamilton's race on the Sky broadcast that I saw, but I don't remember any significant off-course or over-kerb excursions?
I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread but the offficial line was he is thought to have run over debris on lap 4, damaging the floor in the process, and suffering thereon from an 'out of balance' car. Hamilton claims it was after lap 4 he could no longer match the pace of Bottas, something he had done in the first laps. (To me I swear Bottas gapped Lewis from the start of the race, but that is my memory.)
I think 'lucky to get to the end' is a bit wide of the mark.... unless they are suggesting it was in such a poor state of ability he was lucky not to have binned it. (removes tongue from cheek before I get brandished an anti H)

Last edited by E.B; 21 Mar 2019 at 12:00.
Old 21 Mar 2019, 12:30 (Ref:3892455)   #159
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Read back thorough the thread a bit, Richard! I saw a piece yesterday on the web, either Autosport or Motosport.com, that showed the damage in detail and discussed the effect it would have. Apparently the area is quite important. As E.B. Says, it happened early in the race, and ‘belief’ is that LH ran over debris from Kubica’s wing......
Old 21 Mar 2019, 13:11 (Ref:3892462)   #160
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Read back thorough the thread a bit, Richard! I saw a piece yesterday on the web, either Autosport or Motosport.com, that showed the damage in detail and discussed the effect it would have. Apparently the area is quite important. As E.B. Says, it happened early in the race, and ‘belief’ is that LH ran over debris from Kubica’s wing......
The 'belief' has now been updated on the Autosport website that the damage was due to a Kerb strike!
Old 21 Mar 2019, 13:24 (Ref:3892468)   #161
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
The 'belief' has now been updated on the Autosport website that the damage was due to a Kerb strike!
http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/142255
Old 21 Mar 2019, 13:38 (Ref:3892471)   #162
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
It will probably be a pigeon or rabbit strike tomorrow!

Kerb sounds more believable than debris, anyway. Thank you both for that latest update.
Old 21 Mar 2019, 15:47 (Ref:3892486)   #163
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
This pigeon? https://pickle.nine.com.au/2019/03/1...d-record-price

What about the Geese Mike!

Last edited by E.B; 21 Mar 2019 at 15:53.
Old 21 Mar 2019, 16:11 (Ref:3892490)   #164
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Kerb sounds more believable than debris, anyway. Thank you both for that latest update.
There has always been a problem with hares at Silverstone. At last year's Silverstone 6 Hours one narrowly avoided getting flattened, while crossing the track.

https://i.imgur.com/ljwx9Q0.gifv
Old 21 Mar 2019, 17:18 (Ref:3892496)   #165
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
This pigeon? https://pickle.nine.com.au/2019/03/1...d-record-price

What about the Geese Mike!
Forgot about the geese.... That pigeon has no tattoos or piercings, so I disagree!

According to the print version of Autosport today, the floor damage could have been done before the race, as apparently ‘spy shots’ have appeared on ‘social media’ showing Mercedes repairs to that area prior to the race......
Old 21 Mar 2019, 17:28 (Ref:3892498)   #166
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Forgot about the geese.... That pigeon has no tattoos or piercings, so I disagree!

According to the print version of Autosport today, the floor damage could have been done before the race, as apparently ‘spy shots’ have appeared on ‘social media’ showing Mercedes repairs to that area prior to the race......
Sabotage ?
Old 21 Mar 2019, 18:09 (Ref:3892507)   #167
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Sabotage ?
Bit early in the season for conspiracy theories....

Probably damaged in qually. Think it’s parc ferme after, so they wouldn’t be able to replace it without penalty?
Old 21 Mar 2019, 18:41 (Ref:3892511)   #168
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Bit early in the season for conspiracy theories....

Probably damaged in qually. Think it’s parc ferme after, so they wouldn’t be able to replace it without penalty?
If that part of the car's floor was damaged before the race, why did Hamilton notice the car's change in behaviour after 4 laps into the race?
Old 21 Mar 2019, 18:53 (Ref:3892515)   #169
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
If that part of the car's floor was damaged before the race, why did Hamilton notice the car's change in behaviour after 4 laps into the race?
If a temporary repair had been permitted, is it not possible that the repair 'failed' after 4 laps?
Old 21 Mar 2019, 19:04 (Ref:3892516)   #170
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
If a temporary repair had been permitted, is it not possible that the repair 'failed' after 4 laps?
Possibly, if he Hamilton ran over a kerb. Do Parc fermé rules allow for such repairs to be made?
Old 21 Mar 2019, 19:08 (Ref:3892517)   #171
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Formula1.com has an image of the damage highlighted. This is the same imagery that was used ton the FOM programme Ted Kravitz hosted yesterday.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...zIEAzwaf8.html
Old 21 Mar 2019, 19:48 (Ref:3892521)   #172
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
All these excuses just because Bottas kicked his ass big time from the start, turn 1. Love it.
Old 21 Mar 2019, 19:54 (Ref:3892524)   #173
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
What a great read this thread has been. Much better than last year.

Are we at least at a point where the Honda is a viable package now? Maybe not quite up to par with Mercedes or Ferrari, but close enough on a rare day?

With Ferraris different aero, what are the chances this is a one-off type track that does not suit them and they will be better on more normal road courses? Ah, who am I kidding. They can't get out of their own way on that team.

Poor Ocon. Looked like a rueful smile at seeing bottas dominate. And Toto didn't look too interested in acknowledging him next to him either!
Old 21 Mar 2019, 20:06 (Ref:3892527)   #174
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
That is the suggestion. And as far as I can ascertain, if the floor had been replaced after Q a grid penalty would have been incurred.....

The above from print copy of Autosport, so no links.
Old 21 Mar 2019, 20:08 (Ref:3892528)   #175
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I had to tell myself after the race to feel pleased for Honda. First podium after however many years getting it all a bit wrong, but I still feel like I was hoping for more!

I find all this floor damage stuff a bit convenient for Hamilton. Sure, it's not ideal. But I think the early strategy call to cover Vettel had a lot more to do with his failure to keep pace with Bottas.